What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (4 Viewers)

Not a chance. That's an exec with no executive decision making. 
Depends on how many other rules the league is going to make up on the fly. Maybe if the team finishes first in the three-legged race in week 14 they can earn two draft picks in the draft next season. Once the league starts changing the rules on the fly where does it stop?

Per Adam Schefter
Titans: “This morning we learned that a staff member tested positive. We have temporarily closed our facility and are in communication with the league on the next steps.”
I was totally cool with the league moving BUF-TEN to Tuesday and bumping KC-BUF out of TNF to the weekend.  Not ideal IMO, but that was a totally reasonable accommodation under the circumstances.

For the record, I am not at all cool with moving BUF-TEN yet again.  Either play the game on Tuesday or cancel it and live with teams playing an uneven number of games this season.  Not interested in a forfeit either, but at this point that would be a better option than re-rescheduling.  There should be a limit to how much other teams get punished for the TItans' incompetence.

Edit: Also, I think it would be a little unfair to both Buffalo and Kansas City to move their game back to Thursday night.  Both teams would be similarly disadvantaged so it's not the end of the world, but that's a big game and the league should remove any lingering uncertainty by announcing that it will stay a weekend game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holly crap, this really sucks for us commissioners!!! What a mess indeed!
Before the season I pointed out that there are a LOT of coaches on the sidelines that could have health conditions(used Arians as just one example). If you look at so many of those older out of shape positions coaches. Andy Reid is in his 60's and doesn't look like a picture of health as another example.

If fantasy football consternation proves to be the biggest casualty of the 2020 NFL season..... I think we should all consider ourselves lucky.

Not a chance. That's an exec with no executive decision making. 
Ahem.

Titans shut down facility, again

... “This morning we learned that a staff member tested positive,” the team said in a statement. “We have temporarily closed our facility and are in communication with the league on the next steps.”

It’s unclear what the next steps will be. And it’s hard to imagine the Titans hosting Buffalo in two days.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the new positive was generated by a coach. That makes 12 players and 10 non-players for the Titans, a total of 22 employees who have tested positive.

The NFL and NFL Players Association have investigated the situation in Tennessee, and many in league circles believe that unprecedented punishment could be coming. ...

Before the season I pointed out that there are a LOT of coaches on the sidelines that could have health conditions(used Arians as just one example). If you look at so many of those older out of shape positions coaches. Andy Reid is in his 60's and doesn't look like a picture of health as another example.

If fantasy football consternation proves to be the biggest casualty of the 2020 NFL season..... I think we should all consider ourselves lucky.
Without a doubt, I'm a front line worker and I use this pass time as a diversion and time to not think of Covid. I am no way downplaying the severity, I guess I was selfishly complaining!

Without a doubt, I'm a front line worker and I use this pass time as a diversion and time to not think of Covid. I am no way downplaying the severity, I guess I was selfishly complaining!
No, I wasn't saying that. Just saying this could get much, much worse. Not throwing shade at you at all..... just the situation and the plan that was in place at the launch of the season.

The NFL and NFL Players Association have investigated the situation in Tennessee, and many in league circles believe that unprecedented punishment could be coming.
Good.  The Titans in general and Mike Vrabel in particular should be hammered over this.  Payton got a year for bountygate.  Vrabel should get at least that.

Agreed. Folks downplaying the virus because players are almost all young and healthy aren’t taking into account coaches, support staff, family members, etc. A recent study showed that spikes for the virus are typically being preceded by an increase in the rate of young healthy individuals. We should expect that players should almost all come away ok, but what about the other people they’re passing jt on to? That’s not even taking into consideration the very real possibility that the virus is doing long term damage to even those who may be asymptomatic.

The Athletic NFL@TheAthleticNFL  

“I think they forfeit a game, lose a draft pick and incur a fine,” one exec said. “I’d nail them, but hopefully they can get their s— together after that.” On the "open secret" around the NFL that the Titans flouted COVID-19 protocols and what happens next
LINK

Shared this yesterday.  

There is not a chance they give a forfeit. You may be punishing one team but you're rewarding another over other teams. It creates a competitive imbalance for a perceived infraction. Then they would have to prove the Titans were negligent which right now sounds like all hearsay. How do you prove Titans were negligent but then say Patriots (and others) followed protocol? How do you not give both teams a forfeit? How do you not give a forfeit win then to the Steelers? 

You see where this is going? Not a chance they give forfeits. A ton of money. Draft picks. Cap space. All possible. Zero chance of a forfeit or the league might as well throw out the rules and let the owners declare the Super bowl winner now. 

Broncos-Patriots game is being moved to next Sunday, sources tell ESPN. Broncos were supposed to play Miami; that won’t happen. That game is being rescheduled.

Per Adam Schefter

And it's only going to get worse...
No doubt… It’s basically like herding cats. The NFL somehow doesn’t understand what an incubation period is.

that last patriots game should’ve been canceled. All it takes is one person for that game to become a super spreader event across both teams.

I am not saying that happened, I am merely stating what the science says. 

Wow, so now they are letting this affect even more teams. Cluster...
My guess is this will affect multiple other teams now. I’m not so sure there is as much of an easy fix for this as there was for Titan/Steelers. Maybe I’m wrong. But it’s interesting that they didn’t announce the other changes already, leading me to believe it is indeed a tougher fix.

And every time they do this, it leaves less options for all of THOSE teams if something happens further down the line.

The NFL not building in 2-3 byes for each team this year, including one week of all NFC teams on bye and one week of all AFC teams on bye, is the height of incompetence and arrogance.

Drastic season could turn out as Dr. Jene envisions.

-------------------------------------------

Jene Bramel@JeneBramel

NFL must choose: Definitively shut down possible outbreaks by quarantining all close contacts per established recommendations or Field competitive teams over a 16-game season and playoffs 1/n

--------------------------------------------

Something has got to give because the way it has been handled so-far isn't working.  

All I can do is shake my head at the level of arrogance the NFL displayed by putting forth a normal schedule with staggered bye weeks, not clustering common opponents etc.  

Not saying this was completely unavoidable regardless, but they appear to have approached the schedule making assuming nothing would happen instead of presuming some positives.

And every time they do this, it leaves less options for all of THOSE teams if something happens further down the line.

The NFL not building in 2-3 byes for each team this year, including one week of all NFC teams on bye and one week of all AFC teams on bye, is the height of incompetence and arrogance.
Agree and agree.

Holly crap, this really sucks for us commissioners!!! What a mess indeed!
We passed provisional starters in both of our leagues.  One by exec committee, the other by league vote.  League vote didn't officially pass until after Thursday's game had started so we are implementing next week and hoping it is a moot point this weekend.

Jene Bramel@JeneBramel

NFL must choose: Definitively shut down possible outbreaks by quarantining all close contacts per established recommendations or Field competitive teams over a 16-game season and playoffs 1/n

Something has got to give because the way it has been handled so-far isn't working.  
I can easily see some teams not playing 16 games and playoff spots will be based on win %. 8-7 beats 8-8 even though the 8-7 team would have played someone like KC or GB and probably lost.

All I can do is shake my head at the level of arrogance the NFL displayed by putting forth a normal schedule with staggered bye weeks, not clustering common opponents etc.  

Not saying this was completely unavoidable regardless, but they appear to have approached the schedule making assuming nothing would happen instead of presuming some positives.
It's a reactive NFL front office. Not proactive. They fix things as they happen. All the $ is given to Goodell and they can't afford smart people to think ahead.

I was totally cool with the league moving BUF-TEN to Tuesday and bumping KC-BUF out of TNF to the weekend.  Not ideal IMO, but that was a totally reasonable accommodation under the circumstances.

For the record, I am not at all cool with moving BUF-TEN yet again.  Either play the game on Tuesday or cancel it and live with teams playing an uneven number of games this season.  Not interested in a forfeit either, but at this point that would be a better option than re-rescheduling.  There should be a limit to how much other teams get punished for the TItans' incompetence.

Edit: Also, I think it would be a little unfair to both Buffalo and Kansas City to move their game back to Thursday night.  Both teams would be similarly disadvantaged so it's not the end of the world, but that's a big game and the league should remove any lingering uncertainty by announcing that it will stay a weekend game.
Titans-Bills was also a big game and one I was really looking forward to as an NFL fan.  7-0 combined record...

i can't believe they'd mess with next week's schedule for this.  Just add Week 18, lose the super bowl bye week if you want minimized disruption.  
I think they want to hold off on loosening the belt until it is absolutely necessary.  If they start using up that space now then they will have to burn another week if and when this continues later on in the season. 

There is not a chance they give a forfeit. You may be punishing one team but you're rewarding another over other teams. It creates a competitive imbalance for a perceived infraction. Then they would have to prove the Titans were negligent which right now sounds like all hearsay. How do you prove Titans were negligent but then say Patriots (and others) followed protocol? How do you not give both teams a forfeit? How do you not give a forfeit win then to the Steelers? 

You see where this is going? Not a chance they give forfeits. A ton of money. Draft picks. Cap space. All possible. Zero chance of a forfeit or the league might as well throw out the rules and let the owners declare the Super bowl winner now. 
Disagree.  Forfeiting is the cleanest way out of this mess.  If a team can't play due to COVID, they should forfeit the game.  Period.  Counts as a loss, and as a win for opponents.  No impact to schedule, no impact on competitive balance.  Offending team is punished with a loss, non-offending team is rewarded with win.

If I ruled the league, 2 COVID teats on a team = shut down team for 10 days & forfeit any game that would occur within that timeframe.  Period.

Disagree.  Forfeiting is the cleanest way out of this mess.  If a team can't play due to COVID, they should forfeit the game.  Period.  Counts as a loss, and as a win for opponents.  No impact to schedule, no impact on competitive balance.  Offending team is punished with a loss, non-offending team is rewarded with win.

If I ruled the league, 2 COVID teats on a team = shut down team for 10 days & forfeit any game that would occur within that timeframe.  Period.
To some extent I agree, but you have to know that the offending team actually broke protocols. For example, what if NE who has had a couple positives infected KC in that last game. Then KC has an outbreak. Should KC have to forfeit? They wouldn't have done anything wrong at that point.

Imagine being the Broncos, practicing all week long, having no positive cases, and just now finding out that last week is now your bye week despite practicing all week.
Not just that, broncos played on Thursday last week.  This was already a mini-bye week.  By the time Broncos play next, it will have been 18 days since they last played. 

To some extent I agree, but you have to know that the offending team actually broke protocols. For example, what if NE who has had a couple positives infected KC in that last game. Then KC has an outbreak. Should KC have to forfeit? They wouldn't have done anything wrong at that point.
If you believe you were infected by another team, you petition the league to to turn the loss into a tie for purposes of standing.  Contact tracing and all that.

Jene Bramel@JeneBramel

The league is acting like you can issue a fine to the virus and that’s gonna take care of everything.

Roger Goodell‘s crime and punishment approach to containing COVID-19 is the height of stupidity.

We just had a league vote on allowing replacements players subbed into lineups. Even though it was ONLY for postponed games that were on Monday-Tuesday and you had to declare before games started Sunday, it got voted down because it wouldn't be fair to the people who suffered through this last week. Again, I didn't mind the work but we had 2-3 people not cool with the late implementation.

Don't need to be a commish to tell this is going to be a complete clusterf*ck of a season.

Users who are viewing this thread