What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who Wins The Election? 1 Week Out (2 Viewers)

How many times out of 100, does Biden wins the election?

• 95-100 times

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • 90-94 times

Votes: 17 10.7%
  • 85-89 times

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • 80-84 times

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • 70-79 times

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • 60-69 times

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • 50-59 times

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • 40-49 times

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • 30-39 times

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 20-29 times

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 10-19 times

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 0-9 times

Votes: 13 8.2%

• Total voters
A little higher than before....... now at 80%

Trump lost the popular in 2016.

His Party took a bit hit across the country in 2018

Higher unemployment than when Obama left

250K dead with no end in sight.

Biden is immensely more likeable than Clinton.

Micro targeting,  the youth sitting out and/or a higher turnout in minority voters for Trump could swing the election to him.  I think he loses in the popular by more than he did in 2016 even if he wins the EC. Biden could be "William Wallaced at Falkirk" by the Sanders' Lords of the Left......but I think they're even getting in line.  

Both candidates have a "vibe" that could point that they're going to win.  Trump is drawing people with his rallies. Bidens ads (at least in SE PA) are very positive; extolling his virtues rather than Trumps deficiencies.  POTUS fatigue (something I think the entire country is suffering from) immensely helps Biden. 

I also think that the Barrett confirmation was a bit of a mistake for the R's/Trump.  It should have been a carrot to get people to the polls.  As it stands, I could see a lot of "on the fence" Republicans sitting this one out; smoking the metaphorical "post-coitus cigarette" in regards to ACB.....as they now have the ability to control the SC and don't really have a need for Trump's abrasiveness.   
The Republicans gained seats in the Senate in 2018.  

Storming through all established political norms and using power politics to instill judges to enforce opinions that a minority of the population has on the majority of the population seems to have some minor ethical issues.

Willfully savaging political institutions to get your way is corrupt all day long in my book.

We're gonna learn a lot in the next couple of weeks one way or the other. 

After watching the last 2 confirmation hearings I think that's pretty clear.
The Supreme Court isn't corrupt.  The confirmation process has just become contentious political theatre.  Instead of deciding on the worthiness and capability of the nominee to interpret the Constitution, it's become this insane partisan battle for a Justice to decide cases based on that party's political platform ideology.  Amy Coney Barrett should have gotten 90+ confirmation votes.  She is highly capable and worthy of being a SC Justice.  

I'm still pessimistically sticking with 40-49. It seems like it's all going to come down to Pennsylvania (Biden is not going to win Florida or Texas), and things are within the margin of error there.

There were millions more votes cast for the Democratic Party than the Republican Party in 2018.  
Yes, and?  House races are more localized so it doesn't paint a statewide picture.  The Senate races show what a state is thinking because they encompass the whole state and not just districts.  Also, in mid-term elections the party that loses the general usually does well because there isn't the same motivation by the winning party.  Example in 2010 the Democrats lost 63 House seats and 6 Senate seats.  Then in the next mid-term in 2014 they lost 13 House seats and 9 Senate seats.  In Trumps first mid-term they lost 40 House seats and GAINED 2 Senate seats.  I don't think the mid-term elections paint the picture you think it does.  

Well, there is already talk of having the Supreme Court revisit their decision from last week on allowing ballots received in PA after Election Day to count. LINK

Yesterday they ruled that only ballots received by Election Day would count in WI. Be prepared for the GOP to try to get a preemptive ruing that only ballots processed and counted on Election Day should count. 
That last part is overruling the Wisconsin Supreme Court I believe. This means they are rejecting a bedrock concept that State Supreme courts have any roll in state elections. kind of a big deal. I think we could a likely will see some full tilt boogie radical decisions with this court. And that decision was without Barret even on the court.  
Actually, that's not correct Jack. From CNN (first link I found):

Unlike the Pennsylvania order last week, the Wisconsin order Monday concerned a ruling from a lower federal court, not a state court, and Chief Justice John Roberts said that made a difference.

A federal district court in Wisconsin had sided with the Democrats to allow mail-in ballots to be received up to six days after Election Day, but an appeals court blocked that order and the Supreme Court upheld the block.

The federal district court, Roberts wrote in a concurring opinion, "intervened in the thick of election season" to block a state law. He said the case represented "federal intrusion on state lawmaking processes."

The Pennsylvania case, on the other hand, concerned a decision by the state's highest court. Roberts said that decision "implicated the authority of state courts to apply their own constitutions to election regulations."

"Different bodies of law and different precedents govern these two situations and require, in these particular circumstances, that we allow the modification of election rules in Pennsylvania but not Wisconsin," Roberts wrote.

Well, there is already talk of having the Supreme Court revisit their decision from last week on allowing ballots received in PA after Election Day to count. LINK

Yesterday they ruled that only ballots received by Election Day would count in WI. Be prepared for the GOP to try to get a preemptive ruing that only ballots processed and counted on Election Day should count. 
This is a lot more boring that worrying about a coup, but it's worth noting that the court isn't really deciding which ballots count and which ones don't.  It's deciding whether to follow election rules as written or whether (and to what degree) courts can amend the rules as they deem appropriate.  There are good, reasonable arguments on both ends of that spectrum.

Edit: More boring, not less.  Coups are very exciting.  Who-gets-to-decide-when-to-tweak-the-rules-by-a-small-amount is less so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and?  House races are more localized so it doesn't paint a statewide picture.  The Senate races show what a state is thinking because they encompass the whole state and not just districts.  Also, in mid-term elections the party that loses the general usually does well because there isn't the same motivation by the winning party.  Example in 2010 the Democrats lost 63 House seats and 6 Senate seats.  Then in the next mid-term in 2014 they lost 13 House seats and 9 Senate seats.  In Trumps first mid-term they lost 40 House seats and GAINED 2 Senate seats.  I don't think the mid-term elections paint the picture you think it does.  
Regarding the bolded, obviously the Senate elections are a little different in that only 1/3 of the Senate is elected at a time, whereas the entire House is up for election every time. So, depending on which states have open Senate seats, it's entirely possible for one party to pick up seats in the Senate while the other party picks up seats in the House. I think it's more accurate to say that the House is a better indicator for how the country feels about a given political party given that the entire House gets voted on each election. 

The Supreme Court isn't corrupt.  The confirmation process has just become contentious political theatre.  Instead of deciding on the worthiness and capability of the nominee to interpret the Constitution, it's become this insane partisan battle for a Justice to decide cases based on that party's political platform ideology.  Amy Coney Barrett should have gotten 90+ confirmation votes.  She is highly capable and worthy of being a SC Justice.  
I absolutely disagree. If the court effectively decides the election the conservative justices will side with Trump and the liberal justices will side with Biden. Same when it comes to overturning Roe v Wade. 

edit - It's already happening with the mail-in ballot decision. 

This is a lot less boring that worrying about a coup, but it's worth noting that the court isn't really deciding which ballots count and which ones don't.  It's deciding whether to follow election rules as written or whether (and to what degree) courts can amend the rules as they deem appropriate.  There are good, reasonable arguments on both ends of that spectrum.
I am fine with this happening before the election.  My concern is what is likely to happen after the votes are counted and one side is attempting to invalidate them.

I'm in the 50-59% camp, but it's purely unscientific.  I was one of the people who thought Trump had a much-better-than-expected chance in 2016.  I don't think he has the same momentum as he did in 2016, and Biden does not have the negative momentum that Clinton had riding into election day.  I suspect that Trump loses the popular vote by an even larger margin than last time, but all it takes is some decent turnout in a few states for him to win again.  He may not have the largest base, but it's a strong base.

You're being cute. The horse is out of the barn. 

It's crazy how instantly the standard can change. 

What's next, conservatives are gonna care about the deficit the minute Biden gets elected? They'd never has the chutzpah to do that after blowing up the deficit even pre covid.

I absolutely disagree. If the court effectively decides the election the conservative justices will side with Trump and the liberal justices will side with Biden. Same when it comes to overturning Roe v Wade. 

edit - It's already happening with the mail-in ballot decision. 
The Court wrongly decided Roe.  They legislated in that case.  Overturning Roe would allow States to legislate abortion how they see fit.  

We'll just disagree then. I think someone taking the office of an election they didn't win is the definition of a coup.

That's radically different from a contested election that is decided exactly as the law outlines. 

Are you saying the Supreme Court is corrupted?
Who's to say he didn't win it if the President insists it is so?  Who has stood up against him in the past?  Who has the power?

You're not serious are you?
You have alot more faith in republicans doing the right thing than I do.  Not sure why you think that way when all they've done is protect the way their minority can hold power.  You don't think they're capable of election shenanigans?  His entire life Trump sues if he doesn't get his way.  His staff has already been filing lawsuits across the country suppressing voter turnout in unfavorable areas.  Hell, he's got White House council defending him in a rape case. 

And who has stood up against him?  Democrats can try but what does it matter if they don't hold a majority to oppose, Trump just accuses them of meddling to justify his means.  Republicans stay quiet and let him do it so they can try and hold onto power.  I think you're looking at something similar to 2000 but on a larger scale where Trump sues over results in several locations until he gets his way or appeals all the way up to his Supreme Court.

I think the only way Trump gets knocked out of office is a huge margin of victory for Biden or if this strategy to bring into question the election results is more for him to save face in a loss he actually (consciously/subconsciously) desires so he doesn't have to do the job for another four years.

I wouldn't say the Supreme Court itself is corrupt but the process of how some of these Justices were appointed is very suspect.

You have alot more faith in republicans doing the right thing than I do.  Not sure why you think that way when all they've done is protect the way their minority can hold power.  You don't think they're capable of election shenanigans?  His entire life Trump sues if he doesn't get his way.  His staff has already been filing lawsuits across the country suppressing voter turnout in unfavorable areas.  Hell, he's got White House council defending him in a rape case. 

And who has stood up against him?  Democrats can try but what does it matter if they don't hold a majority to oppose, Trump just accuses them of meddling to justify his means.  Republicans stay quiet and let him do it so they can try and hold onto power.  I think you're looking at something similar to 2000 but on a larger scale where Trump sues over results in several locations until he gets his way or appeals all the way up to his Supreme Court.
Thanks. I do have more faith in the other Republicans. And of course there are a ton, likely a majority of Democrats in the House and Senate. Plus the people. 

Why?  What have they done in the last 4 years to deserve it?
It's a different game for them if Trump loses. They, like anyone, are concerned first with their own job. Supporting a president everyone on both sides agrees is fairly elected is a lot different than joining a coup. 

It's a different game for them if Trump loses. They, like anyone, are concerned first with their own job. Supporting a president everyone on both sides agrees is fairly elected is a lot different than joining a coup. 
It's not a coup to their constituents if Trump says it isn't.  The people that voted for them in the past could as easily pull their support because they didn't support the president as he fought against a corrupt election.

everyone on both sides agrees is fairly elected
I don't think there's much chance of this happening.

I think the only way Trump gets knocked out of office is a huge margin of victory for Biden or if this strategy to bring into question the election results is more for him to save face in a loss he actually (consciously/subconsciously) desires so he doesn't have to do the job for another four years.
It's the ultimate power play move for him.  He steps asidef for, in his words, the good of the country....yet he'll still be there watching Joe; making sure he isn't screwing up....and if he has to...he'll come back in 2024.

His hardcore supporters will lap that up like an old man laps up nickle soup night at the local diner. And that's the real tragedy of a Trump Presidency....... Rank and file Conservatives and Republicans....they'll move on.  Not the rank and file Trump Man.  He'll be in that families political back pocket until Don Jr. is too old to run.  

Sticking with Biden winning around 90% of the time.  I don't think this election is going to be remotely close.
I stepped up to 95-100%.  Biden hasn't been losing ground in the polls, while Trump continues to shoot himself in the foot with his Covid denials, his staff publicly saying they can't control the virus at all, the 60 Minutes walkout, etc.  The early, heavy voting shows the passion people have, I believe, to fire Trump.  

I expect Biden will take Penn and/or Florida.  Even without them, he could take NC and Arizona and still win.  But I expect a big win for Biden.

Another brilliant thing about the way this country was established, the States run the elections. There is no federal oversight really over vote-counting, there may be some lawsuits filed and that kind of thing that may delay the results, but the Supreme Court's going to rule on the rule of law they are still lawyers and judges first, and even if things get crazy for a little bit there is going to be a clear-cut winner that will be declared and Trump or Biden can do nothing about it.
One can hope it plays out this way if it comes to pass.  As my wife reminds me, lots of other countries' judiciaries have failed when pressed by autocrats preserving their power.  Look to the rest of the world for how elections can fail. 

Prior to the last debate I thought it was 50/50 on who would win.  After Biden made his stupid oil comments, IMO he lost Pennsylvania which is one of the most important States in this election.  Any chance Biden had in Texas are gone.  He may have put Michigan in jeopardy as well.  I always thought Trump was going to win Florida, and I still do.  If Trump gets FL and PA it's game over, IMO.  I put it 60/40 Trump now.  
Why is Trump winning FL and PA game over?  Biden still has a very plausible path to victory even without those two - and one that right now based on polling is predicted to happen. 

Big win for Biden.  Won't be close (thank God).  Nobody's mentioning this but...

In 2016 I believe most (if not all) of Trumpers voted.  They still didn't win the popular vote.  We're shattering records with voter turnout and I don't believe the uptick is Trumpers coming out of the woodwork.  I believe it's Democrats who have seen enough of Trump and are scared of of the damage another 4 years of this would bring.  Go Blue!

I stepped up to 95-100%.  Biden hasn't been losing ground in the polls, while Trump continues to shoot himself in the foot with his Covid denials, his staff publicly saying they can't control the virus at all, the 60 Minutes walkout, etc.  The early, heavy voting shows the passion people have, I believe, to fire Trump.  

I expect Biden will take Penn and/or Florida.  Even without them, he could take NC and Arizona and still win.  But I expect a big win for Biden.
He doesn't even need NC - just Arizona plus WI, MN and MI will do it.  I think that is why I have Biden so high in my poll vote - his multiple paths to victory right now all look like possibilities.  Trump pulling an inside straight again seems unlikely to me. 

Sticking with 95-100. This election just isn't as has never been as close as the last one, and the only last minute "surprise" is COVID cases and deaths spiking heading into Election Day while Trump continues to pretend it's not happening.

There's no complicated inside baseball to this. Trump is an historically unpopular President, in the midst of flailing through a crisis. 

I think it will be much closer than I first anticipated.   I think Biden will rack up huge but meaningless votes in NY and California as he has already won those states but will lose states like Pennsylvania and Florida.  Who knows?

Gun to my head....I'd say its like 65-70% Biden.  But I certainly wouldn't bet anything on it.

We can talk about national polls and approval ratings and voter turnout until the cows come home. At the end of the day, most of that sadly doesn't matter.  The reality is that unless those people live in PA, OH, FL, NC, MI, WI or AZ, (forgive me if I'm missing any other significant swing states) their opinions REALLY dont matter. 

I still believe there are large pockets of people in those states that are going to vote for Trump but aren't really talking about it (and aren't being accounted for in these national polls), just like 2016. I'm sure the pollsters have learned their lessons from 2016 and have made attempts to more accurately account for these people, but I refuse to believe they've got in tuned in enough to accurately predict the election in those states.

No doubt that Biden (despite his flaws) is a more palatable candidate than Hillary. But unless that results in additional votes in the right places (the 2016 Red states that the Dems need to flip back) it doesn't matter.

And in terms of actually KNOWING who the President is when we wake up on November 4th.....less than 10% chance IMO.  And even if that gets resolved relatively quickly (say by 12/1) I dont think the losing side (in terms of the actual voters) are going to take it well AT ALL.  I have a bad feeling that this horrible year is going to have a fittingly horrible ending in terms of additional social unrest and division.

I voted 50-59. I think it's pretty close to a tossup at this point, but it's not because of Hunter Biden or Joe's comments on oil or due to any other verbal gaffe by Biden.

I think it's a tossup for 4 reasons:

1. undecided voters and wavering Republicans tend to "come home" to the incumbent.

2. the installation of Amy Coney Barrett will energize the base and reinforce the most important campaign promise that Trump managed to keep.

3. ground game. The rallies are bad for the country, but they are good for Trump's chances.

4. vote by mail. I don't think the polls are properly accounting for the higher number of Democrat voters whose votes will be rejected.

Anyway, I think Trump wins Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia, and gets 1-2 out of PA/MI/WI/MN, and has a 50/50 shot at Arizona.

Prior to the last debate I thought it was 50/50 on who would win.  After Biden made his stupid oil comments, IMO he lost Pennsylvania which is one of the most important States in this election.  Any chance Biden had in Texas are gone.  He may have put Michigan in jeopardy as well.  I always thought Trump was going to win Florida, and I still do.  If Trump gets FL and PA it's game over, IMO.  I put it 60/40 Trump now.  
Why is Trump winning FL and PA game over?  Biden still has a very plausible path to victory even without those two - and one that right now based on polling is predicted to happen. 
If Trump gets FL, then it's a sign that he's probably also getting GA and maybe even NC -- which closes one of Biden's paths.

If Trump gets PA, then it's a sign that he's probably also getting at least one out of MI/WI/MN -- which also closes a path for Biden.

If Trump gets both, then Biden can still win, but he'll have to hold the blue wall in MI/WI/MN or he'll have to pick off GA or NC (in addition to holding AZ).

edit: 538's scenario generator gives the following chances:

Trump wins PA, Biden wins FL: 89% Biden
Biden wins PA, Trump wins FL: 91% Biden
Trump wins both: 89% Trump
Biden wins both: 99% Biden

Users who are viewing this thread