What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​⚽ OFFICIAL GOLD CUP THREAD: United States Beats Mexico. Again. ⚽ (1 Viewer)

It also should set expectations for the US if a near full strength Mexico already dropped points.
It was pretty eye opening how stagnant their attack became without Lozano.  After watching this tonight I would argue that Lozano is more important to El Tri's attack in this cycle than Pulisic is to ours.  Maybe it was just a bad game though?

It was pretty eye opening how stagnant their attack became without Lozano.  After watching this tonight I would argue that Lozano is more important to El Tri's attack in this cycle than Pulisic is to ours.  Maybe it was just a bad game though?
Some of it is just the crazy sport where sometimes the ball just won't go in.

Parking the bus does have that stagnant looking effect on most offenses.  The first goal is so important against minnows else they just just dig in deeper and deeper.

At least Alvarez did not look like a world beater in his first game.  That would have been a gut punch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Marvin Phillip had a hell of a game.  Looking at his career is eye opening.  His only year outside of T&T local leagues was last year in 2nd division India.  LOL.  He's been without a team for over a year.  And now he has 7 huge saves and puts a zero on the board against Mexico's A squad.  Incredible.

And btw...dropping points here means next to nothing for mex imo. Theyll still plow through their group and get to the finals.

In terms of the protocol of the chant, is it entirely on the ref or does some one tell him what is happening?  As Floppo said, it happened more and more and could be clearly heard on the tv as the game went on, even well before they stopped the game.

I wonder if the rumor of the penalty being applied to the women's team actually hurt Mexico here, almost like telling their fans they can get around any punishment.

Also, Marvin Phillip had a hell of a game.  Looking at his career is eye opening.  His only year outside of T&T local leagues was last year in 2nd division India.  LOL.  He's been without a team for over a year.  And now he has 7 huge saves and puts a zero on the board against Mexico's A squad.  Incredible.
Hopefully he gets a sniff somewhere.  

In terms of the protocol of the chant, is it entirely on the ref or does some one tell him what is happening?  As Floppo said, it happened more and more and could be clearly heard on the tv as the game went on, even well before they stopped the game.

I wonder if the rumor of the penalty being applied to the women's team actually hurt Mexico here, almost like telling their fans they can get around any punishment.
Seems like the chant gives them a free timeout and 2x time added on to the end of the game.  Seems like the refs are encouraging it with their actions.

Didn’t watch. Don’t care how screwed they were by the refs. 

Get bent Mex 😍😍😍
I don't think they got screwed per say but it was a classic Concacaf reffing moment when a Mexican player got a yellow because he was trying to tell the ref that Chuckie was knocked out cold.

Didn’t watch. Don’t care how screwed they were by the refs. 

Get bent Mex 😍😍😍
:goodposting:

Dont know that they were "screwed" per se (chuckie did appear to be pushed before that horrific injury and easily could/should have been a PK), but they definitely werent helped..the way they usually are in Concacaf.

But they made their own bed- created chances and couldnt finish. Unlike Gian's mom.

The weather gods are shining on KC right now for the US game. Supposed to be 70 at kick off with a slight breeze. Slight chance of rain this afternoon but should taper off by game time.

The weather gods are shining on KC right now for the US game. Supposed to be 70 at kick off with a slight breeze. Slight chance of rain this afternoon but should taper off by game time.
are you going to the game tonight?  Is it a double header?

oh dear :(

====================

Jon Arnold

@ArnoldcommaJon

Haiti canceled its training session & pre-match news conference yesterday because 5 players tested positive for COVID-19.
Well, damn.

From Concacaf

=======================

All national teams participating in this summer’s Concacaf Gold Cup are following strict health and safety protocols, including regular COVID-19 testing.

Ahead of the start of the Gold Cup Group Stage, all competing national teams went through several rounds of testing. In COVID-19 testing carried out last week, five Haiti players and one assistant coach returned a positive test result.

All of the individuals were immediately isolated and Concacaf has ensured that they and the Haitian Football Federation have been offered the necessary support.

In an abundance of caution, following those positive test results Concacaf insisted that the entire Haiti delegation isolate and carry out multiple rounds of additional COVID-19 testing. From those multiple additional rounds of testing, no further positive test results were returned.

Tonight’s match between Haiti and USA will go ahead as scheduled at Children’s Mercy Park, Kansas City, at 8:30pm ET (7:30pm local).

That is crazy. Wonder how he is training.

Here are my thoughts on a possible starting line up, assuming a 4-1-2-3

==============================

GK: Turner has a very high chance to start

RB: This seems certain to be Cannon

CB:  I think this will be Zimm and Robinson

LB: Either Vines or Bello

DM: Could be Yueill, Acosta, or Busio

The 8's: Lletget is a lock but I am unsure of the other.  The second 8 will be between Acosta, Busio (he said the other day GGG has him training at the 8 as well as the 6), and Roldan

Wingers:  I am hoping it will Hoppe on left and Nips on right.  I fear GGG has spent more time with Lewis and might start him over Hoppe

Striker:   Dike or Zardes, I am fine with either but I think Dike will start.

Here are my thoughts on a possible starting line up, assuming a 4-1-2-3

DM: Could be Yueill, Acosta, or Busio

Wingers:  I am hoping it will Hoppe on left and Nips on right.  I fear GGG has spent more time with Lewis and might start him over Hoppe
puke

That sadness aside this has way more pageantry than whatever that little tournament over in England had.

CONCACAF :gang2:

-QG

I did that the US group manages to someone how 3 opponents with a heavy French-language preference somehow.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread