What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

★★★Official 2015 Cincy Bengals-now with more K Webb (1 Viewer)

So playoff picture is pretty clear. 1 win and they are in. They probably need 2 wins to win the division. Most likely we will play the Steelers or Ravens if we make the playoffs.

-QG

So what do we think. Gio in the slot more. Gresham a receiver and Hewitt getting in the passing mix as well (i.e. 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB sets, with sometimes Gio as 3rd receiver). Some 6 OL sets with Newhouse at blocking TE. Hill getting a ton of work with Gio more as a receiver.

Needless to say this is gonna test Hue's creativity.

-QG

The over/under on the game is 49. Which seems insane given that we are rolling with our #3, #4, #6 and #7 WRs and #2 and #3 TEs while the Colts Offensive Line has been nuked with injuries. Was shocked to see that's the highest O/U of the weekend.

-QG

So what do we think. Gio in the slot more. Gresham a receiver and Hewitt getting in the passing mix as well (i.e. 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB sets, with sometimes Gio as 3rd receiver). Some 6 OL sets with Newhouse at blocking TE. Hill getting a ton of work with Gio more as a receiver.

-QG
They don't have a choice and they can't fall behind early.

-QG
They don't have a choice and they can't fall behind early.
Yeah - almost kinda hope we lose the toss and start with the ball. Though of course the D assert itself with an early 3 and out would be ideal.

The line has to get push and not give Luck time. Make him throw early. This will help out the CBs.

-QG

We know the recipe we need to win:

(1) Run the ball

(2) Control the turnovers

I think a lot depends on which Andy shows up.... Let's hope it's the good one ;)

The over/under on the game is 49. Which seems insane given that we are rolling with our #3, #4, #6 and #7 WRs and #2 and #3 TEs while the Colts Offensive Line has been nuked with injuries. Was shocked to see that's the highest O/U of the weekend.

-QG
Agree with you. The defense dominating is plan A and B. I do think we will bring our A game, I just hope it's enough @Indy. You making the trip Quiz?

I wish I were making the trip, cheese. Pricing it out the trip probably woulda been a grand (given the short notice on the flight - the drive is 700 miles each way - the cost was just too much). If we end up winning and playing in New England next weekend, that is a little more possible as that trip is probably 3 hours each way for me by car.

The one thing is, I do feel better about Hue calling this game as opposed to Gruden. That they were able to actually confuse/surprise Manning a few times in Week 16 gives me a little hope for the defense as well.

Man, we just need this win.

-QG

Understandable. Bengals play @Buffalo next year so you'll at least have that one.

I'll be in charge of the noise in Indy this week.

Understandable. Bengals play @Buffalo next year so you'll at least have that one.

I'll be in charge of the noise in Indy this week.
Do us proud, Cheese! Buffalo is a hike too - closest road trip for me that we usually have on the schedule is the Ratbirds.

-QG

It's not good, guys.

I'll be back for more the first chance I can and I support this team, but we have some pretty big issues to address.

Namely, that the D is deteriorating at a faster rate than the offense is figuring anything out. It's hard to take anything too severe out of a game where we don't have either of the 2 real difference makers on our roster, but you have to think we had a lot of smoke and mirrors this year. In past years, we thought we had the roster and underachieved, but I thought this year our personnel started to go downhill.

So elephant in the room...Lewis

Most everyone knows I support him until he chooses to walk away. I do think he has hurt us some on gameday in the playoffs (or at least been a non factor). I continue to give him credit for 2 things. First of all, the Bengals are up every Sunday for the game and bring energy and effort. They look prepared and consistently execute enough to win games. You don't win every year by accident. The second one is more to the point. He is a good team builder. Unfortunately, this is likely to be relevant in a major way sooner than we all wanted. The Dline is just not capable of winning 1 on 1s anymore. Our LBs aren't getting healthier with age. The secondary is getting worse by the week. The OLine is good, but mainly because of the tackles who are old. The WRs not named Green were quietly horrific this year. I'm surprised it wasn't talked about more, but wow. Bad. None of that factors in QB where an upgrade would obviously be ideal. Regardless of specifics, a minor rebuild is likely coming with the hope that AJ, Dalton, Burfict can bridge the gap. Personally, I don't wish to start down that path without Marvin. I simply trust him to build the roster back up. Especially with the obvious constraints in Cincy, I don't trust another coach to rebuild it better. This isn't a case of a great team that needs a coach to get them over the hump on gameday. A lot of changes need to happen on the roster or this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the Marvin hate. He's pretty much working with one arm tied behind his back with Brown as the owner. Also you gotta think this is a much different team with AJ, Marvin Jones, Eifert and Burfict playing. They were just the far less talented team today.

Preserving results of last year's poll here so as to remove it. What will happen in terms of Andy Dalton's contract?
  1. A long-term (more than 3 years) extension at more than $20m (2 votes [18.18%])
  2. A 3 year (or less) extension at more than $20m (0 votes [0.00%])
  3. bullet_star_rated.png
    A long-term extension at $15m-$20m (3 votes [27.27%])
  4. A short-term extension at $15m-$20m (2 votes [18.18%])
  5. A long-term extension at less than $15m (1 votes [9.09%])
  6. A short-term extension at less than $15m (2 votes [18.18%])
  7. No deal is reached/the Bengals allow him to play out the contract and reach free agency (1 votes [9.09%])
-QG

It seems like just yesterday, we were making luxury picks and had a pretty balanced team. Right now my list of where we need to spend our 1st rounder is basically every position except RB

Should probably point out the good to be fair. We are in almost no danger with the cap of losing players we want to keep. Dalton, AJ, Burfict, Dunlap, Whit, Geno, RBs as a core with Marvin Lewis coaching against a 2nd place schedule next year is probably a winning season.

Marty Schottenheimer got fired for far less that what Lewis is doing now, why does Lewis get to keep his job,then?

if you can't win in the playoffs, it's time for you to go .

Marty Schottenheimer got fired for far less that what Lewis is doing now, why does Lewis get to keep his job,then?

if you can't win in the playoffs, it's time for you to go .
He should probably win some kind of award for getting there a few times with Dalton

I would like to see us make a run at Suh. We clearly need a disruptor upfront - as our defensive line is no longer a strength.

Okay lazy crack at looking at what we are facing in the offseason.

Cincyjungle does a great job with all things Bengals - the free agent list is linked here: http://www.cincyjungle.com/salary-cap-cba/2015/1/4/7491447/cincinnati-bengals-2015-free-agents-list

QB - We all know the deal. Andy ain't going anywhere this year. We knew that last year. This is the 2nd year of the 2-year $25m contract with 4 teams options (regardless of the media wanting to call it $100m this is no untradable Cutler contract). Would a veteran above the level of Campbell be nice to get on the cheap to maybe push him? I suppose so but I think it is what it is. McCarron basically losing a year last year wasn't helpful as it'd be good to see what he has but ultimately this year as a feeling of finality to it. That the 2016 draft is where we'll look at QB if Andy continues to regress. Having said that, if and when Andy finds the exit you better believe somebody will grab him and take a shot with him. The truth is this is a QB-poor league. There are 13 teams that have a no-doubter at QB (as in no-doubt a team out of this group would swap QBs with 'em) and even a couple of those are iffy (I've dropped Peyton from this class after that playoff debacle). IMO those teams are NE, BAL, PIT, IND, SD, DAL, Giants, GB, DET, ATL, NO, CAR, SEA. Peyton is a question mark. JAX and MIN would probably stick with kid they have. The rest are varying degrees of question mark. Anyway, there's nobody to get this year that probably has any more promise than McCarron so sign a vet and see if AJ can beat him out in camp. And pray for the health of our offense.

RB - This group is set. Burkhead has popped up into a new improved Leonard 2.0. Hope we can keep Peerman for ST.

WR - Healthy the group is good. Very hard to win a playoff game with your #3, #4, #7 and #8 WRs. Green, Jones, Sanu, Wright is a good starting 4. I'm okay with Tate taking his carrying the ball like a loaf of bread ways elsewhere. Sanzenbacher is okay as a last guy. Little and Cobi are scrap. Wouldn't mind seeing a mid/late round pick here.

TE - Eifert's health is paramount. Hewitt is good in the role he plays and I hope we see a little more receiving from him. Other than that, we can use a non-malcontent in the draft to be a complement to those two - maybe in say the 3rd round. Gresham is a great run blocker who doesn't want that to be his job. But he doesn't break tackles anymore. I'm about 90% convinced that most players would've been active in that playoff game but that he was looking to preserve a pay day. I was a fan of his early on but :bye: .

OL - I'd like to think Whit is immortal. In the real world a high round pick on an OT (and working that guy in and/or sliding Whit to G) wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to save what Whit has left. Eric Winston was good - perhaps we benefited from some labor politics there with his availability. A late round depth pick might also be in order. I'd like to see us keep Boling and get Winston back along with the picks.

CB - I've loved Leon Hall for a long time. Maybe that 2nd offseason after surgery will work wonders. But honestly, I think he's done (at least as a starter) - teams are definitely picking on him. Hate to see a full release but he is not worth the cap number and if they get him renegotiated that would be helpful. Newman is old but I'd like to see him stick around. Honestly though this is the time for Dre and Dennard to move to the top of the pile - crucial that they step up. Pacman is old but is still such a factor on ST that he's gotta stay. The Bengals play a ton of nickel and a draft pick (even perhaps a 2nd or one of the 3rds) is something I wouldn't mind seeing.

S - I love Iloka. I think Mays in his hybrid role has been useful and I'm okay if we keep him cheap. Nelson has been good too. One of our lesser needs IMO though those contracts are up next year.

LB - The Tez injury was just brutal. I think I've moved to the pro-Maualuga camp in terms of keeping him - though there may be enough of a market to make the price a bit too high. Need position - we need depth. A high pick and a mid/late pick to replenish.

DE - Is Hunt finally starting to click? Is the lack of edge rush a product of the lack of interior pressure? Ultimately this is a need that I'm sure will be addressed in the draft (less likely in free-agency).

DT - We need a healthy Geno back next year. Will a "regular" offseason do the trick? Ultimately this is where the need is at - a solid free agent signing would be good and a high pick if the right guy is there would be good too (definitely will look at the draft prospects at this position). Devon Still has been an inspiring story this year but at the end of the day I just don't think he's a good enough rotational option at DT. Peko is in serious decline. This is probably our biggest area of need.

LS - Clarke Harris has been solid for a while now - there was maybe a little whiff of trouble late in the year but we're certainly not getting into late-era Bad Snaps Louis territory just yet.

P - Kevin Huber A premier superstar awesome stud punter. Only the sagest of analysts could have seen the Bengals picking this punter in round 5 of this draft http://forums.footba...1#entry10252857 and he hasn't disappointed confounding returners with his booming left-footed punts as they cower in fear when the ball comes their way. Will be the 2nd punter in the Hall of Fame after Ray Guy. In fact they might kick Ray Guy out when they induct Huber.

PK - Mike Nugent. After that Carolina miss that was painful at the time (but meaningless ultimately in the standings) Nugent really righted the ship. That long field goal in Pittsburgh at the end of the half was big time stuff - that place is impossible for kickers. There's also the temptation to go cheap at kicker but if they can keep him for a similar price I'm on board.

Coaching staff - well we're not losing anybody this year. I will give Guenther the benefit of the doubt since he was a first-time coordinator. I liked a lot of what they did against Peyton (true he turned out to be injured but it was nice to see that guy actually a bit confused for once). I'll admit that I expected a little more out of Hue. A little tough to judge with so many injuries and some big ones early on. I hope we are grooming are looking for our next OC because I think at some point in the next couple of years he'll get hired away. And yeah like everyone else I prefer Marvin as GM but at least he's finally learned to throw challenges at the right time. And like Dalton I see this as a big year in terms of his fate.

The opponents next year are very tough - and even as much as it kills us a repeat of a playoff appearance would be an accomplishment.

We have:

Home - Pit, Bal, Clev, KC, SD, StL, SD, Hou

Away - Pit, Bal, Clev, Den, Oak, SF, Ariz, Buf

A lot of travel and only one truly awful opponent in Oakland.

On to the draft!

-QG

Okay lazy crack at looking at what we are facing in the offseason.

Cincyjungle does a great job with all things Bengals - the free agent list is linked here: http://www.cincyjungle.com/salary-cap-cba/2015/1/4/7491447/cincinnati-bengals-2015-free-agents-list

QB - We all know the deal. Andy ain't going anywhere this year.

Crazy talk: would we trade for Cutler? Should we trade for Cutler? Or is this an older, more proven bust than Andy is at this point?

TE - Gresham is a great run blocker who doesn't want that to be his job. But he doesn't break tackles anymore. I'm about 90% convinced that most players would've been active in that playoff game but that he was looking to preserve a pay day. I was a fan of his early on but :bye: .

Please Gresham, don't let the door hit you on the way out... And I fully predict he shines for another team - he just never worked out for us, for some reason. He has the size and skills to be an elite TE, and he's not lived up to his potential.

DE - Is Hunt finally starting to click? Is the lack of edge rush a product of the lack of interior pressure? Ultimately this is a need that I'm sure will be addressed in the draft

(less likely in free-agency).

DT - We need a healthy Geno back next year. This is probably our biggest area of need.

[SIZE=11.8181819915771px]We need to stock up ate DE and DT - much like the Giants previous did in the year they won the SuperBowl. This is what made our defense good - we need to keep running [/SIZE]athletic[SIZE=11.8181819915771px] and fresh guys out there, to put the pressure on the QB. This is THE [/SIZE]ingredient[SIZE=11.8181819915771px] I feel was most missed [/SIZE]this[SIZE=11.8181819915771px] year.[/SIZE]

We should not trade for Cutler. He's a locker room cancer with a poison contract (the kind of contract Mike Brown avoided with Dalton). And like you said an older QB who hasn't proved squat. QB is one of those areas where you gotta be in the right place at the right time. And I don't see either of those those being the case this year.

(Side note - actually where I watch football there's a couple who are parents of an ex-teammate of his - they had absolutely nothing nice to say about the guy.)

Gresham - I don't predict that he shines for another team - or at least that he doesn't shine for very long. I do think that there will certainly be a team that foolishly overpays for him. Are any of his college coaches in the NFL? Maybe look that way - or at least coaches who went against him in college. TE is an in-demand position for sure. But I don't think he'll ever reach the level we thought he would regardless of the team he signs with. Which for once I'm inclined to say 99% won't be us.

DE/DT - Yep. And it also seems to be the sort of position that you need to draft more often anyway. And everybody wants 'em so they are a position that tends to be overdrafted. But that's a necessary evil. I'll have to see if Chase or somebody maybe has a chart somewhere of the average years experience by position across the NFL. I'd bet DT/DE is one of the shorter ones.

-QG

Good write up. I agree on practially everything all though I would like to see them go WR early (3rd at the latest). Besides AJ, I am not impressed with our guys. Sanu is JAG and Jones have only showed something for half a season or there abouts. If Andy shall succeed, he needs weapons.

Regarding the schedule. Yes it's rough but that goes for all of the AFCN. Hell, BAL gets IND and NE where we have HOU and BUF. That is a big plus. Besides, I think the home games looks good. SD, KC and SEA are much easier at PBS than at their place (you have SD twice, I assume one of them should be SEA). No, there probably wont be two wild cards out of our division this year, but I think we could win it

Good write up. I agree on practially everything all though I would like to see them go WR early (3rd at the latest). Besides AJ, I am not impressed with our guys. Sanu is JAG and Jones have only showed something for half a season or there abouts. If Andy shall succeed, he needs weapons.

Regarding the schedule. Yes it's rough but that goes for all of the AFCN. Hell, BAL gets IND and NE where we have HOU and BUF. That is a big plus. Besides, I think the home games looks good. SD, KC and SEA are much easier at PBS than at their place (you have SD twice, I assume one of them should be SEA). No, there probably wont be two wild cards out of our division this year, but I think we could win it
Pittsburgh gets Indy and NE. Baltimore gets Jacksonville and Miami. Same diff I know.

I worry exactly b/c the tougher schedule makes it harder to land a wildcard slot more than anything.

We also have 4 long distance road trips. At least we didn't get stuck with a London game too I guess.

I still think we can win the division - but I very much think that if we win the division there will be some "prove it" type wins along the way. There will have to be. Implicit in that is Dalton playing better.

-QG

QuizGuy66 said:
DE/DT - Yep. And it also seems to be the sort of position that you need to draft more often anyway. And everybody wants 'em so they are a position that tends to be overdrafted. But that's a necessary evil. I'll have to see if Chase or somebody maybe has a chart somewhere of the average years experience by position across the NFL. I'd bet DT/DE is one of the shorter ones.

-QG
Any chance we go after Suh? He's arguably the best in the league, character concerns aside... Of course, it's not like Mike Brown to spend on FAs of this caliber...

QuizGuy66 said:

-QG
Any chance we go after Suh? He's arguably the best in the league, character concerns aside... Of course, it's not like Mike Brown to spend on FAs of this caliber...
No chance. We don't do those kinds of $ in free agency (and the rare exceptions - which were for lower dollars - generally were disasters - think of guys like Coles).

Somebody is gonna pay huge dollars for Suh I'm sure. I'm equally sure it won't be us. Which I'm fine with tbh.

-QG

As usual, I'm with you Quiz, with a couple caveats.

It's nice to assume health in January and our skill positions look OK. Once we get going, I don't love our depth and I'm starting to be skeptical about the odds AJ/Mjones/Eifert can stay healthy together. Not striking me as the most durable bunch.

And obviously QB. I don't want to say I'm flipping on Dalton, but it's time to do something. Even if that something is just draft another 1 to sit behind him. If they love Mccarron and see him as a legit 2016 option then OK, but I don't sense that and going with no other long term plan AND a weak vet backup AND a marginal starter is really pushing it at the most important position.

I think the plan is 2016 at QB - I don't really know who's out there at #21 (in either first or second round) that's as pro-ready as Andy was at this point or who would have the potential to take the job after the year.

I do think that the folks that were saying we should snag Bridgewater last year are likely right (though who knows how that would have played out this year - would he have just sat all year behind Andy? Would Hue have really developed him right given the run-oriented nature of the offense? Would we end-up with less wins without have Dennard as CB depth or would we have taken a CB where we took Hill - the hypothetical game is seldom as clean as folks like to think).

If the idea is to try to get a young guy up to speed I think McCarron getting that year this year makes as much sense as anything.

What does the 2016 draft QB class look like at this point?

As for WR - I think a depth guy will probably get taken - probably with say a 4th-round pick. Even with the injuries (and the inconsistency of Sanu) the other areas of need are a higher priority right now IMO.

-QG

Healthy? Eifert probably a low-end starter high-end backup. Personally I don't think thry bring Gresham back.

-QG

Ugh, reading that Maualuga's new deal has a $5m/year cap hit. I wanted him back at a reasonable price. I don't think that's reasonable :(

-QG

QuizGuy66 said:
Ugh, reading that Maualuga's new deal has a $5m/year cap hit. I wanted him back at a reasonable price. I don't think that's reasonable :(

-QG
A lot of money. Probably has something to do with the uncertainty of Burficts game and brain. Continuity has always been high on Marvin's list

really wish we knew the money. After his rookie year, I never thought he'd see two more contracts with the bengals.

Such a liability in the passing game. Hoping they get Boling locked up, and a MLB falls in our lap in the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread