What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (4 Viewers)

Great team, great season.  Hoping Josef stays and we get a solid manager but for now going to enjoy this.
IMO, this team, as constructed, is better suited to CCL play than TFC was and TFC made it to penalties before losing in the finals.

But losing Tata and very likely Almiron is going to be tough to over come.  Even with a direct replacement like Pity Martinez, he is unlikely to settle in so early in the year to have an effect.

IMO, this team, as constructed, is better suited to CCL play than TFC was and TFC made it to penalties before losing in the finals.

But losing Tata and very likely Almiron is going to be tough to over come.  Even with a direct replacement like Pity Martinez, he is unlikely to settle in so early in the year to have an effect.
Almiron loss will be big. Really impressed how hard he worked defensively in the playoffs

Last year I felt the MLS teams were very positioned to do well in the CCL but this year looks a bit messy.

I don't think Atlanta is likely to be ready in time.  I don't see NYR replacing Adams in time, and I think Houston is going to be over matched and for what ever reason, Vermes's KC has never performed in CCL play and they got the toughest draw.  And TFC appears to have passed its peak.

I could easily see only 1 or less MLS teams in the semi finals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I felt the MLS teams were very positioned to do well in the CCL but this year looks a bit messy.

I don't think Atlanta is likely to be ready in time.  I don't see NYR replacing Adams in time, and I think Houston is going to be over matched and for what ever reason, Vermes's KC has never performed in CCL play and they got the toughest draw.  And TFC appears to have passed its peak.

I could easily see only 1 or less MLS teams in the semi finals.
Also, IMO ATL is nowhere near the quality of that Toronto team.  That's based on a grand total of maybe 180 minutes of viewing, so you know... don't bet the house.

Also, IMO ATL is nowhere near the quality of that Toronto team.  That's based on a grand total of maybe 180 minutes of viewing, so you know... don't bet the house.
I can see that POV but when I break it down, Atlanta is better and deeper when compared to TFC IMO. 

Remember that the TFC team I am talking about played in the CCL this calendar year and did not even make the MLS playoffs a few months later.

This is not a TFC team from years ago and as such we have direct comparisons we can make right in the current MLS season.

Guzan is better than Bono

Martinez is much better than Jozy

Almiron and Giovinco are a wash overall but Almiron was the better player this year.

Nagbe is better than Del Gado

Gressel and Vasquez are a wash

Garza is better than Morrow

Bradley is better than Laurentowitz

TFC have no one even close to the quality of Villaba on the bench

Tata is far more experienced and decorated in comparison to Vanney as a coach.

But the discussion is moot since Atlanta is going to look different with a new coach and with Pity replacing Almiron.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's fast. and that last little pull-back shimmy is nice... otherwise... :shrug:
if an American player did that, you would be calling the doctors exactly 4 hours from the goal :)
Can't teach speed and hard to teach touch like he has. Incidents like @The Kansas Comet points out, prove he has a lot of learning about being a professional to do. Immense potential and Barcelona doesn't have a player like him.  How many of these guys actually pan out?

Quite a show for the home crowd Real Madrid.  I guess they had the top spot clinched, but still ...

Aggregate 0-4 over both legs to last place CSKA.

Users who are viewing this thread