What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (3 Viewers)

Lukaku is a pure scorer.  But he was also very static, had a heavy touch, and needed service.  Something he couldn't get from the system or the players around him.  He is definitely not at fault, but he may not have fit either.

Martial could be  a pure scorer, but every time he gets rolling something happens to derail things.  He gets his number changed,  there's an injury or he's given a dirty sanchez.... 

I am not sure whats wrong with Rashford.  He may not be a striker and is better off the wings.  He also hasn't learned that he doesnt need to beat everyone with speed.  Mix it up, pass and move, do something different to keep defenders honest.  

United has bigger problems.  Creativity in the MF is a big problem.  Ruthlessness in front of goal is another. Outside of Pogba, there is noone there that can find that pass or take that shot to open it up.  Thats why letting Herrera go was a mistake imo.  Not bringing in Bruno was a mistake.

Ole has done a good job of moving out the players that needed to go.  Mostly.  But just like previous managers had a love affair with the  :fro: , Ole seems to love him some Lingard.  And now Pereira.  Neither provide creativity or scoring.  And they both want to be in the middle leaving the United right open.  Had Arsenal attacked that side, with no winger and only Ashley Young, they would have destroyed United.  Its not working so why does Ole keep running out the same group?
He got rid of everyone else.  Who else is he going to put out there?

He got rid of everyone else.  Who else is he going to put out there?
You aren't entirely wrong.  And players should have been brought in to compete in the summer.  And hopefully some will come in the winter window and next summer. 

He has also talked up the youth and having them make an impact.  Then he plays them in the league cup and Europa League.  They've had good and bad moments.  But at some point, when what you are running out there isn't working,  you might as well play Garner, Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Williams, Tuanzbee, Dalot in the EPL ....  They cant be much worse then Lingard, Pereria, Young, Matic, Mata.... And maybe it sparks something and ends the complacency that comes with knowing no matter how bad you are you are always going to play.

Shocked this has happened to Poch.  Players have quit.  It’s a matter of time now.
I think that is true - but the injury to Lloris probably has been a factor to how the players have reacted since the 1st goal.

He is probably done for the season.

I think that is true - but the injury to Lloris probably has been a factor to how the players have reacted since the 1st goal.

He is probably done for the season.
Another team or group of players would have stepped up instead of shrunk after the injury.

Credit to Brighton et al, but there's no excuses to be so collectively this off the game for spurs- I don't think they've won a single second ball, and are second best to the first and to the spaces. They look disinterested. I'd been thinking they need somebody to at least get stuck in and take a yellow...but something more impactful than Diers elbow.

Another team or group of players would have stepped up instead of shrunk after the injury.

Credit to Brighton et al, but there's no excuses to be so collectively this off the game for spurs- I don't think they've won a single second ball, and are second best to the first and to the spaces. They look disinterested. I'd been thinking they need somebody to at least get stuck in and take a yellow...but something more impactful than Diers elbow.
Everything in context through - they are not playing for Poch, you have several players wanting to leave (unrelated to Poch), you got dumped in the league Cup, you got thumped in CL - I think that takes a lot out of most players.

Its a sad day for Spurs, and for Poch - he deserved better.  

But, this is almost certainly his last match.

I was about to say- it's been inexplicable to me that Ericson hasn't been starting. But watching his play recently- he seems checked out and uninvolved with next to no effort or interest in whats going on on the field. Seems the perfect way to tell RM- "here I am!"

I was about to say- it's been inexplicable to me that Ericson hasn't been starting. But watching his play recently- he seems checked out and uninvolved with next to no effort or interest in whats going on on the field. Seems the perfect way to tell RM- "here I am!"
Can't rule out the possibility that he's just rehearsing for his one-man show on the West End,  Ozil!

Everything in context through - they are not playing for Poch, you have several players wanting to leave (unrelated to Poch), you got dumped in the league Cup, you got thumped in CL - I think that takes a lot out of most players.

Totally, regarding the mindset. But again...another group might have reacted differently- and all it takes is one guy on the field to marshall and change that shift of energy and desire to get them collectively on track. Nobody looks like they even want to be that guy.

The CL game was nutty...and I thought spurs looked great for most of the first half.

This game otoh...

Is it certain that poch has lost the dressing room? They're getting ole'd at bha 

I would've taken Ericson off for Lucas..at least Son seems to give a #### out there.
I can’t  believe how little Moura has played since his amazing game against Ajax.  He’s barely played this year and Poch prefers Lamela, who is a terrible player.  His bizarre love for Winks is odd too.  

Poch being sacked or leaving in October would be words I simply couldn’t even imagine uttering  a few months ago while Tott was in the CL final. 

If this is it, who on earth could they get in October.  LFC got super lucky that Klopp was sitting out there as a free agent when they fired Rodgers at a similar point in the season. 

Mourinho?

Poch being sacked or leaving in October would be words I simply couldn’t even imagine uttering  a few months ago while Tott was in the CL final. 

If this is it, who on earth could they get in October.  LFC got super lucky that Klopp was sitting out there as a free agent when they fired Rodgers at a similar point in the season. 

Mourinho?
Meh - Poch himself was talking about leaving this summer.

He has been in a bad place for a while, and the team has been in a funk since February - CL run nothwithstanding.

At this point - Spurs might need Big Sam to come in and stave off relegation.

Meh - Poch himself was talking about leaving this summer.

He has been in a bad place for a while, and the team has been in a funk since February - CL run nothwithstanding.

At this point - Spurs might need Big Sam to come in and stave off relegation.
He made a bad decision to stay imo.  His dream job was Madrid and it seems as if he could have had it.  With this disastrous form, would they hire him?  Unknown.  And I agree, him basically letting the world know he wants out, plus the expiring contracts of Eriksen and the defenders, are all contributing factors.

Kind of gives you new respect for Sir Alex.  He must have been legitimately terrifying to have not gotten stale at MU all those years.
Yeah - no doubt.  Wenger too.

Part of this malaise is down to not refreshing the squad last year - its always good to bring in fresh faces.  Keeps people on their toes and motivated.  And, you are not left in SPurs situation where they could lose Eriksen, Vertonghen, Alderweireld all for free - and given that Spurs sell to buy, that does not leave much in the transfer kitty.

The CL game was nutty...and I thought spurs looked great for most of the first half.

This game otoh...

Is it certain that poch has lost the dressing room? They're getting ole'd at bha 
There were rumors that he lost the dressing room at the start of the season.  Several of the "ITK" have said as much from different sources.

International break, Liverpool coming up.  I can't see how he survives the day. Levy (and several of the players) should have a look at themselves though...

Not the end of the world for Spurs if they can get a good coach. Let Poch chase his dreams. Coaching Son, Kane, Moura, Alli and Eriksen would be a dream for most coaches.  Spurs are struggling, but the team is still loaded with talent.

Levy is in a tough spot - I am sure he wants to move on from Poch - but I am also sure Levy does not want to pay out the rest of Poch's contract that he signed last summer...

Lfc have United and Tottenham 1-2 right after the break.  Really don’t want any coaching changes until those games are over.

Milner not so boring today...that assist was jawdroppimg, and he just got a quick 60 yard switch that opened up Leicester or a goal opportunity.

On my way to CU homecoming vs Brown. Roar Lions roar, wake the echoes round the Hudson valley...fight on for liberty and something. Doo see dum etc

Gorgeous fall day up there. Had to leave at 2-1 good guys early second half. Got some swag, saw a couple old teammates, talked briefly with Rocco and Sunil. Hope they hold on for the W. Their#10 is a baller.

xG

Liverpool 3.51

Leicester .1

That was a total Klopp masterpiece almost ruined by crappy finishing.  Insane game though and it’s always so fun to win right at the end.

Nice away win for Palace to move them up to 4th. 

The old landlord's schedule gets a lot harder going forward but it's always good to see happy Roy.

Users who are viewing this thread