What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (3 Viewers)

Senor Emery is flat out killing it with Villa. The before and afters are straight up amazing, and he's got them sitting in 6th place for at least the next few minutes.

I didn't watch then entire 1st half- from 15min to abuot before BHA scored... but chels look all kinds of bad. horrible, pre-season-esque team shape on both sides of the ball. they look like they have no ideas what they're supposed to be doing or how they're supposed to do it together.
This is exactly what I'm seeing from them right now. No idea how they go from 60-70% possession when Potter was in charge to what they've done today. They still should understand each other's movements enough to at least keep the ball a bit. I've never seen a talented team in need of a training camp as much as Chelsea.

I didn't watch then entire 1st half- from 15min to abuot before BHA scored... but chels look all kinds of bad. horrible, pre-season-esque team shape on both sides of the ball. they look like they have no ideas what they're supposed to be doing or how they're supposed to do it together.
This is exactly what I'm seeing from them right now. No idea how they go from 60-70% possession when Potter was in charge to what they've done today. They still should understand each other's movements enough to at least keep the ball a bit. I've never seen a talented team in need of a training camp as much as Chelsea.
On the flip side, bha look great

Their scouting department is amazing. Mitoma, Mac Allister, and Caciedo are all destined for top 6 sides soon(maybe this summer). They also had Wesley Fofana and Cucurella last year(although Cucurella has been pretty poor for Chelsea)

They rest of the team are all EPL capable players and they play hard. They, unlike Chelsea, look like they know exactly what they're supposed to do and where to be.

Their scouting department is amazing. Mitoma, Mac Allister, and Caciedo are all destined for top 6 sides soon(maybe this summer). They also had Wesley Fofana and Cucurella last year(although Cucurella has been pretty poor for Chelsea)

They rest of the team are all EPL capable players and they play hard. They, unlike Chelsea, look like they know exactly what they're supposed to do and where to be.
They likely all currently play on a top 6 side :oldunsure: (they are in 7th, but with 2 games in hand and only 1 point back of 6th)

They likely all currently play on a top 6 side :oldunsure: (they are in 7th, but with 2 games in hand and only 1 point back of 6th)
Them and Brentford both deserve to be in euro contention. bHA especially... Really fun team to watch.

Them and Brentford both deserve to be in euro contention. bHA especially... Really fun team to watch.
Brentford are fading hard though. They are closer to Chelsea than Europe now.

The team that I didn't notice making such a move is Villa. Five straight wins including dismantling Newcastle today. Stevie G really looks awful in comparison as they were on the verge of relegation when he was sacked and in 20 games, Emery has them knocking on UCL spots.

I watched today because of Pulisic(boo), but found myself really enjoying Brighton. De Zerbi has got them cooking. I wouldn't mind seeing them get some Euro ball, although they'll have to retool again this summer because they're gonna get raided by the big clubs.

Arsenal were 100% bossing it for 30 minutes. Then they forgot that they should hold on to the ball and move it around quickly. That penalty by Gabriel was atrocious.

Arsenal showing their youth. It's not easy being the hunted, esp when a team like City is chasing you. HUGE game coming up for those two.

United bounce back and beat Forrest to move up to 3rd. Injuries keep piling up though. Tottenham and Aston Villa up after Europa and FA Cup...

Insane assist from Mbappe
as incredible (and it's incredible) as that assist is- the way Messi moves through the box with the ball before giving it to Mbappe... absolutely insane. and then- whatever kind of nitrous button he flipped to continue his run... I kept rewinding that- even in slow mo he switches to hyperspeed on a dime to get to that space to receive the ball. the man is just otherworldly.

eta: but yeah- that bottom of the foot back pass... dear lord

Didn't get to post earlier, but I was able to make it to the STL City game on Saturday night. Friend had an extra ticket and I got to go along.

Assuming most weren't watching or following along, but we had a major storm come through that night right at the start time. Rain was awful and we were under a tornado watch. They had spectators have to shelter in place in the stadium for those that had gotten in earlier. It was supposed to start 7:30pm and we didn't kick off until almost 10pm.

Yet, despite all of this, the stadium was STILL absolutely packed. I think the attendance was still over 18,000 (capacity is 22,500). The field was pristine despite the downpour that happened for a couple hours before the game. And this was a big matchup against unbeaten Cincinnati who was 1st in the standings (STL City was 2nd in the West before the game). It was an absolute thrashing, with City going up 5-0 before Cincy got a late goal and final score was 5-1. All different goal scorers.

The experience there is unreal.

STL City is now 1st in all of MLS again, most points, most goals scored, and highest GD. They join the 2018 Red Bulls and 1998 Galaxy as the only teams in history to score 3+ goals in 5 of the first 8 matches.

Lineups just before kickoff

First goal less than 3 minutes into the game

Official highlights

Last edited:
Well that escalated quickly. Just after the half Leeds score to cut it to 2-1, so Liverpool scored 3 (plus one called back) to make it 5-1.....

Chelsea need goals so instead they keep Kante on after missing two sitters. I think someone else missed one as well.

Down 3-0 on aggregate now.

McGuire has to be approaching some sort of record for most "oomph!!" plays in a single season

The header for the own goal in the first leg was unlucky, but it would only happen to Maguire. He just can't get out of the way of those things and then he goes and does this and makes it all worse.

Play Shaw and Lindelof in the center if Varane is out. Maguire can not be on the pitch no matter how many injuries they have.

I missed the first half but reports from people watching are that Sevilla had more intensity and United was just bad. And Maguire was worse.

United just can't seem to beat Sevilla. For whatever reason, they have United's number.

Don't mess with Europa League version of Sevilla, who were in the relegation zone as recent as Jan.
After Sociedad in the group stages, then knockouts vs Barca, Bettis and now Sevilla, a Spanish team was going to get them. And Sevilla in Europa plays like Real Madrid

Oh and just like wanting west Ham to win Conference to play in Europa while being relegated, I would love Sevilla to win Europa to get into CL while being relegated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread