What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1986 vs 1996: #1 There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths / A Long December - Counting Crows (2 Viewers)

Ending the evening with two blasts of SoCal pop-punk

Wendy - The Descendents

I endured a brief skater period in ‘86 and ‘87 and the names of bands like the Descendents, DK, and Black Flag were scrawled on all of my brown paper-bag book covers. Despite my hair cut and sweet Per Welinder skateboard I was a total poseur.

Here In Your Bedroom - Goldfinger

Here In Your Bedroom was the LA ska/pop/punk band’s first single and biggest hit. Also love their cover of 99 Luftballoons from the Not Another Teen Movie soundtrack.

Ending the evening with two blasts of SoCal pop-punk

Wendy - The Descendents

I endured a brief skater period in ‘86 and ‘87 and the names of bands like the Descendents, DK, and Black Flag were scrawled on all of my brown paper-bag book covers. Despite my hair cut and sweet Per Welinder skateboard I was a total poseur.
Great live band. Saw them during their heyday at The Outhouse in Lawrence KS and then just recently when they did their reunion tour.

Clean Sheets is my favorite song of theirs. So many good songs.

Amanda - Boston

By 1986, it had been 8 years since Boston had released a record. The voice and guitar tone are instantly recognizable, and likely explains how a middling power ballad got played at middle school dances across the country and became the band’s only #1 song.

1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin’ New) - Coolio

RIP Coolio. Shocked when I saw that his followup to Gangsta's Paradise reached #5 on the Hot 100.

Coolio wins for being part of the best years of hip-hop

Boston had quite a career arc. All stemming from the sheer car stereo blast-worthiness of their debut. RIP BD

Immature. Sexist. Non-PC. Can we hold Licensed to Ill-era Beastie Boys responsible for the Bloodhound Gang?

The New Style - Beastie Boys

Licensed to Ill was the soundtrack to ‘86/’87 for most of the white guys in my high school. I remember buying it at Crazy Eddies when we went on a class field trip to NYC, and this kid on the bus showing that the airplane ID from the cover is EATME spelled backwards. I loved It’s the New Style then, but it’s kind of cringey now. More Beasties to come this year and next

Fire Water Burn - The Bloodhound Gang

The Bloodhound Gang is kind-of a one trick pony, but their first big single does have its moments.

I'm not black like Barry White, no I am white like Frank Black is
So if man is five and the devil is six than that must make me seven
This honkey's gone to heaven
But if I go to Hell, well then I hope I burn well
I'll spend my days with J.F.K., Marvin Gaye, Martha Raye and Lawrence Welk
And Kurt Cobain, Kojak, Mark Twain and Jimi Hendrix's poltergeist
And Webster yea Emmanuel Lewis 'cause he's the Antichrist

The Bloodhound Gang is kind-of a one trick pony, but their first big single does have its moments.
I miss the days when bands like this had a chance and got radio play. There is absolutely no way a band like this will ever be successful in the future. And thats really sad.

-first comment under EVERY song on YouTube, no matter how inconsequential
Gonna test this theory by looking up Everything's video for Hooch.

Fire Water Burn - The Bloodhound Gang

I'm not black like Barry White, no I am white like Frank Black is
So if man is five and the devil is six than that must make me seven
This honkey's gone to heaven
But if I go to Hell, well then I hope I burn well
I'll spend my days with J.F.K., Marvin Gaye, Martha Raye and Lawrence Welk
And Kurt Cobain, Kojak, Mark Twain and Jimi Hendrix's poltergeist
And Webster yea Emmanuel Lewis 'cause he's the Antichrist
I had totally forgotten this song existed until I heard it on Lithium driving back from the grocery store last week. I have to admit I got a little kick out of it. Definitely like it better than their more famous hit.

Amanda - Boston

By 1986, it had been 8 years since Boston had released a record. The voice and guitar tone are instantly recognizable, and likely explains how a middling power ballad got played at middle school dances across the country and became the band’s only #1 song.
Jesus, it's been over 14 years since I wrote the Obama parody to this song for @bigbottom
Link?

It's no Chelsea's Mom.

If only there was some fresh and utterly mockable Brett Favre material out there
I mean, I'm not sure I can make anything funny out of massive welfare fraud, but that's never stopped me before.

Oh, ****? Is this political? If I'm not banned tomorrow, I'll know it's safe to come back with some John Eastman zingers.

I believe in you though, do your best Phil Ochs
I am so past my prime. 15 years ago, I could have written an opera about Aaron Rodgers.

And I'm not sure it's nearly as much fun to write Favre stuff now that I can't stick in at least one line about Madden being genuinely horny for him.

My sick day piece on Bloodhound Gang

I first heard Fire Water Burn when I was waiting tables at the Olive Garden.. not on the PA but back in the kitchen with the bros. Thought it was pretty funny, but pre internet and not worth buying. That would be 96.

This was around the time of the Jeffrey Meier(sp) saga

YEARS PRIOR, we used to do that cheer at high school football games -- I was not on the cheer squad and certainly not on the football team, I might have been able to be the ball, but on the painted up buffoon squad in the stands, we were called the "Blue Crew"

AH, memories

Their other song was pretty straight up no? (ETA: the Discovery Channel song "bad touch") I ended up seeing them at an HFStival. I feel like there were 20 or so people on stage but I was probably pretty wrecked. My favorite thing that ever came from them was "ham wallet"

Last edited:
4 and 3 and 2 and 1
And when I'm on the mic the suckers run

I don't have much to say other than "Rhymin' and Stealin'" is still a worthy track of nonsensical wonder and that when Eminem came out with Kamikaze around 2018 with a cover referencing the cover of Licensed To Ill, and all the old hip hop heads had to tell the young guys what it was derivative of, I suddenly felt crushingly old.

But that's okay.

The Bloodhound Gang and I have a bit of a complicated relationship. On one hand they suck, and I always knew they sucked, but all my friends in college seemed to like their, um, humor, so I never said much. That song is their best, though.

We don't need no water let that mother****er burn
Burn mother****er burn

Last edited:
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
ALI BABA AND THE FORTY THIEVES!!

Amanda - Boston

The Third Stage album had one song that recalled the magic of their debut album.

That song is called Cool the Engines.

Amanda is a well-executed-enough power ballad that could have been done by anyone.

I feel about Amanda vis a vis Boston like I feel about Drive vis a vis the Cars. The songs are nice enough for what they are, but contain none of the elements that made their bands distinctive.

Amanda - Boston

I believe this is the only song post-MTV debut that hit #1 without a music video.

Flying up to Montreal today with the kid to visit McGill, catch a Canadians game, and eat lots of poutine. Seemed apt to make #92 for 1986 our first Canadian artist.

Don’t Forget Me (When I'm Gone) - Glass Tiger

Glass Tiger came from nowhere (well actually, suburban Toronto) to score two top 10 hits in 1986 before disappearing back to north of the border. Before going on hiatus in 1993, they managed to chart a dozen more times in Canada but nothing really stuck down here.

Da Dip - Freak Nasty

This song still makes me weirdly happy more than 25 years later. One-hit wonder Freak Nasty had the feel-good hit of the summer.

@otb_lifer is the Cramps fan you're looking for. They made the punk countdown I did, but I've never been as in thrall to them as he was. I asked him to write the write-up for the song that he basically picked.

Word. Notebook updated. That you remember that closely is impressive.
Damn. More evidence that I've been just slightly off lately, which may be more worrisome than being completely wrong.

Wendy - The Descendents

They did a nice job walking on the Beach Boys lawn and covering them.

Glass Tiger came from nowhere (well actually, suburban Toronto) to score two top 10 hits in 1986 before disappearing back to north of the border. Before going on hiatus in 1993, they managed to chart a dozen more times in Canada but nothing really stuck down here.
Always wondered if they added the parenthetical part of the title to avoid confusion with the also parenthetical "Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds.

Always wondered if they added the parenthetical part of the title to avoid confusion with the also parenthetical "Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds.
Considering one is a classic and the other forgettable, they needn't have worried.

This is pretty high on my list of worst songs of all time. Not because the technical execution of playing music is bad, but because it's so formulaic, overproduced, empty, and balless. It's everything that was wrong with music in the 80's.
I feel like that's something 86 and 96 have in common. Lots of big hits that copied the formulas of better bands from a few years earlier. More coming in the back end of these lists.

Considering one is a classic and the other forgettable, they needn't have worried.
True but Glass Tiger's tune came out just a year later after The Breakfast Club was released.

True but Glass Tiger's tune came out just a year later after The Breakfast Club was released.
Yeah. My AirCanada flight just got delayed 90 minutes so I felt the need to take a cheap shot at those hosers.

Yeah. My AirCanada flight just got delayed 90 minutes so I felt the need to take a cheap shot at those hosers.
They're no Chilliwack - I think we can all agree on that.

Users who are viewing this thread