What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

17 regular season games mean 6.25% more fun (3 Viewers)

Well if anything with a 14 week regular season and 3 week playoff, in 12 team leagues with three divisions, you would play everyone in your division twice and the other eight teams each once as opposed to only playing seven of the eight other teams.
I thought the balanced schedule/4-team playoff week 15 & LCG week 16 did that anyway.

6 divisional games + 8 vs other teams = 14 week schedule, no?  :unsure:

ghostguy123 said:
None of my leagues have a 4 team playoff.  

Playoffs start week 14. Top 2 teams have a bye
Ah, ok. For some reason I’d assumed most leagues were in a 14/2 format without the BYE. 

My dynasty league still has that format. I hate it. lol

Ah, ok. For some reason I’d assumed most leagues were in a 14/2 format without the BYE. 

My dynasty league still has that format. I hate it. lol
So only 4 playoff teams?  I dont like it.  Seems there will always be like 4 or 5 teams in rebuild mode that way

So only 4 playoff teams?  I dont like it.  Seems there will always be like 4 or 5 teams in rebuild mode that way
My IDP league is 14/2, no BYE, 4 teams make the playoffs (1/3 of the league)

My dynasty is still going with the NBA rules where 6/12 make the playoffs with a week 14 BYE.

If the 5th & 6th best teams want to be in the playoffs, they should win more games. :pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot Sauce Guy said:
I’m not thrilled about it, but hey - 15 games to make the playoffs instead of 14. Could increase competitiveness. 

Or it could cause owners who flail early to get even less interested during the last 1/3 of the season. 

I worry about more injuries, but of course the league is all about player safety, so I’m sure they’ve done all the research to prove that adding one more game isn’t at all a concern. 
:sarcasm:
Do you only do 2 weeks of playoffs?  Or do you currently use week 17?

mike11162 said:
I'm not sure why most assume the extra week means there will be an extra week of sitting out players. This is rarely the case even if a team goes 13-0 and clinches their division by week 14. And there's only one bye now for the top seed, so that lessens the chance teams sit players, even if only a little bit. Most have something to play for prior to the final week.

In the new setup, week 18 now is like week 17 was, and week 17 is like week 16 was. So why wouldn't you extend the season and playoffs one week? The difference is minuscule. Teams don't rest players multiple weeks at the end no matter how early they clinch. You're likely just missing out on a week of meaningful football for a misconception.
Agreed, I hate when people act like players might sit for any week but the final week.  I don't think any team has done that since the Colts did it like 15 years ago or something.  There's no reason at all to think this changes anything in terms of resting players.  The chances of a team having the 1 bye locked up with 2 games to go is extremely slim, and even if they do, that would mean a month between games if they sat them for week 16/17/Bye.

For any leagues that still use a week 17 for a championship game (gross).... now is the year to fix it.  Keep your finals in week 17 and ignore week 18.

menobrown said:
I usually just pull for more. Whereas some people say they don't like Thursday Night NFL football I wish we had it Friday and Saturday as well.

I 100% like a longer fantasy season and whatever it takes to achieve it but in this  instance while I don't hate the 17 game/18 week season but I'd have preferred 16/18 instead.

I've been railing against this for years but in a sport were most of the revenue is based on TV money I just don't understand the need to put out usually between 50- 65% of your inventory in one 3 hour window when I only have one set of eyeballs. Just think a double bye week with slopping off some of those Sunday games, especially the noon games when sometimes you got 9 or more games going on at once would have been better.
Used to not like TNF..now it might be my favorite.

ghostguy123 said:
Well if anything with a 14 week regular season and 3 week playoff, in 12 team leagues with three divisions, you would play everyone in your division twice and the other eight teams each once as opposed to only playing seven of the eight other teams.
That is how we do it.  Blind draw for the 3 divisions, winner of each division and next best three make the playoffs.  Top two division winners get the bye.

ah i didn't read comments leading up to it.  If you're in a rare league like this then that makes sense.  Most leagues would currently use weeks 14/15/16 for playoffs and now use 15/16/17
How is that rare? Do the majority of leagues really have 6 playoff teams & BYE weeks? I could see it for 14-16 team leagues, but not 12. 

Yuck. 

lol yes absolutely.  I do about 8-12 different leagues a year for the last 15 years and every league I've played in has been 12 team leagues, and 6 playoff teams.
Yeesh. My dynasty league does that, and eh. It's ok. It completely validated my hatred for it this year when I was the 1-seed by a hair all year, lost 1 game week 14, ended up a 4-seed, and instead of having a BYE, a wild-card team beat me in the 1st round of the playoffs. The scores over weeks 15-16 had me winning out and cashing a 'ship. Instead I was 3rd place. Yay. 

I mean, hey, good for them, but this isn't the NBA. IMO the 6-seed didn't deserve a playoff spot.  :sadbanana:

My old redraft D/ST league used to do 14-15-16 and I never got hosed by it, but I still hated half the league making the playoffs. 

Yeesh. My dynasty league does that, and eh. It's ok. It completely validated my hatred for it this year when I was the 1-seed by a hair all year, lost 1 game week 14, ended up a 4-seed, and a wild-card team beat me in the 1st round of the playoffs. The scores over weeks 15-16 had me winning out and cashing a 'ship. Instead I was 3rd place. Yay. 

I mean, hey, good for them, but this isn't the NBA. IMO the 6-seed didn't deserve a playoff spot.  :sadbanana:
Well you are in the VAST minority.  Many leagues do 8 team's make playoffs (I don't like these). 

4 is about as common as 8 is.  I would say over 90% of the leagues out there are 6 teams make playoffs.

In your above scenario you also are using weeks 15/16/17 as playoff weeks.  There's a big problem with that league if they're using the final week of the year for a championship week.

Well you are in the VAST minority.  Many leagues do 8 team's make playoffs (I don't like these). 
I've never heard of that, much less played in it. What's the point of the regular season if 75% of the teams make the playoffs?

4 is about as common as 8 is.  I would say over 90% of the leagues out there are 6 teams make playoffs.
I can't believe that. I've been invited to many leagues over the years & they've all either been 4 or 6. I guess it's possible, but I have a hard time believing 8 is as common as 4. 

In your above scenario you also are using weeks 15/16/17 as playoff weeks.  There's a big problem with that league if they're using the final week of the year for a championship week.
wut - no, one of my leagues has playoffs 15 & LCG 16, the other has playoffs 14-15, LCG 16. In both scenarios week 17 is a week after the fantasy season ends. 

The only league I was ever in that did a week 17, 5/12 managers said it was dumb & the commish set it up that way anyway. Naturally week 17 was scrub-ball with players getting benched at halftime, and the very next year 11/12 demanded a week 16 LCG & we replaced the commissioner (he also cheated & tried to add a player to the database before CBS did. Then CBS did & he got caught. Drama! 

I've never heard of that, much less played in it. What's the point of the regular season if 75% of the teams make the playoffs?
Yes, many low stakes leagues use 8 teams.  I agree it's very stupid.

I can't believe that. I've been invited to many leagues over the years & they've all either been 4 or 6. I guess it's possible, but I have a hard time believing 8 is as common as 4. 
Don't know the exact numbers, but personally I have seen 8 more than 4.  I think both are bad.  I would prefer 4 to 8 though.  But 6 with 2 Byes is just perfect for rewarding regular season success.

wut - no, one of my leagues has playoffs 15 & LCG 16, the other has playoffs 14-15, LCG 16. In both scenarios week 17 is a week after the fantasy season ends. 

The only league I was ever in that did a week 17, 5/12 managers said it was dumb & the commish set it up that way anyway. Naturally week 17 was scrub-ball with players getting benched at halftime, and the very next year 11/12 demanded a week 16 LCG & we replaced the commissioner (he also cheated & tried to add a player to the database before CBS did. Then CBS did & he got caught. Drama! 

Ah okay I misread, I thought you mentioned in the league you were the 1 and dropped to the 4, that you lost in week 14 to become the 4 seed and head into week 15/16/17 playoffs.

I think Leroy's point that you can now use week 17 was because this year there will be 18 weeks of season, so week 17 will now be a good championship week.

Ah okay I misread, I thought you mentioned in the league you were the 1 and dropped to the 4, that you lost in week 14 to become the 4 seed and head into week 15/16/17 playoffs.
Ah - no, that was my bad. I lost in week 13, dropping from a 1-seed to a 4, then in week 14 instead of a BYE I had to play a playoff game. And now that I think about it more, it was week 15 that I lost to a wildcard team. 

The point is I hate wildcards. lol 

I think Leroy's point that you can now use week 17 was because this year there will be 18 weeks of season, so week 17 will now be a good championship week.
As for this part, I'm not entirely convinced.  It could just mean 2 weeks of scrub ball if there's a juggernaut in a bad division. 

I'm not saying it's common, but it does happen.  

As for this part, I'm not entirely convinced.  It could just mean 2 weeks of scrub ball if there's a juggernaut in a bad division. 

I don't think it's happened in 20 years though has it?  I'd have to go back and look, but if you are resting players for 2 full weeks, it means you have a 3 game advantage on the 2nd best team in your conference???  I can't possibly see that happening. 

Even if it somehow did, I can't see a team wanting to take a full month off of football before their game after their bye. (resting starters week 17, 18, bye week, and then another week until their game)

I don't think it's happened in 20 years though has it?  I'd have to go back and look, but if you are resting players for 2 full weeks, it means you have a 3 game advantage on the 2nd best team in your conference???  I can't possibly see that happening. 

Even if it somehow did, I can't see a team wanting to take a full month off of football before their game after their bye. (resting starters week 17, 18, bye week, and then another week until their game)
I don't think it's all or nothing, when I say "scrub ball" - I've had week 16 LCG games a few times over the last years where I worried about late game benchings.   

It's "up 20 in the 3rd quarter, let's give some guys the rest of the night off" type deals. 

IMO teams are unlikely to give anyone a week off as they like to have game reps/momentum headed into the playoffs. But any minor bump or bruise might just lead to a short night instead of playing through something in a game that matters. 

I don't think it's all or nothing, when I say "scrub ball" - I've had week 16 LCG games a few times over the last years where I worried about late game benchings.   

It's "up 20 in the 3rd quarter, let's give some guys the rest of the night off" type deals. 

IMO teams are unlikely to give anyone a week off as they like to have game reps/momentum headed into the playoffs. But any minor bump or bruise might just lead to a short night instead of playing through something in a game that matters. 
Isn't this the same possibility in week 15?  Or any waeek?

I guess there's a tiny probability of a 4th quarter resting.... but that also means they have a huge lead which already gave you good fantasy points from that player anyways.

Just saying that if you were good with Week 16 championships up to this point, then you should be fine with Week 17 Championships now.

Taking the final 2 weeks off of the season is a bad idea imo, and many rankings and online advice is under the assumption of a week 16 championship (will be week 17 next year)

Isn't this the same possibility in week 15?  Or any waeek?
In my experience it's far more likely in the last week or 2 of the season. The later in the NFL season it gets, the more teams know if they've locked up their division and/or can't improve their lot (e.g. home-field advantage, BYE, etc). 

If they're al still playing for something it becomes irrelevant, but no - it's not the same possibility in week 15. There is a possibility in week 15, but it's less likely as things won't have settled down for as many of the the possible playoff scenarios. 

Just saying that if you were good with Week 16 championships up to this point, then you should be fine with Week 17 Championships now.
I have trust issues with the NFL & changes therein. 

Just as I'm concerned about player wear & tear, coaching staffs are as well. If they aren't playing for anything important, I think some coaches would be quite comfortable giving their older stars a few extra series off in the latter part of the season. I'm not sure how adding an extra game won't give some coaches pause. Especially in the 1st year of implimenting it. 

Also, related - fair or not, if some star player gets hurt in a meaningless week 18 game right before the playoffs in the new extended season, there's gonna be an uproar. 

In my experience it's far more likely in the last week or 2 of the season. The later in the NFL season it gets, the more teams know if they've locked up their division and/or can't improve their lot (e.g. home-field advantage, BYE, etc). 

If they're al still playing for something it becomes irrelevant, but no - it's not the same possibility in week 15. There is a possibility in week 15, but it's less likely as things won't have settled down for as many of the the possible playoff scenarios. 
Ya I guess we'll see.  I know someone a few years ago showed some data on it that week 16 players not playing the whole game was as close to zero as it could get.  I think this move is a great opportunity to get all the weird leagues that use week 17, and equally weird leagues that don't use week 15, and all get on the same page.  Playoffs week 15/16/17 and off week 18 is perfect.

Ya I guess we'll see.  I know someone a few years ago showed some data on it that week 16 players not playing the whole game was as close to zero as it could get.  I think this move is a great opportunity to get all the weird leagues that use week 17, and equally weird leagues that don't use week 15, and all get on the same page.  Playoffs week 15/16/17 and off week 18 is perfect.
One man’s trash is another’s treasure I guess. :shrug:  

Ilov80s said:
Don't like. Season was long enough. The better teams were rising to the top as is.This only adds to the chances key players are hurt in the playoffs or suffer a serious injury. It also will skew all the markers and history. 1000 yard season isn't quite the same as it was, we will get new records, etc. 
Agreed. I don't see this contributing to having a better product. I hate saturation and extending the season is a bad move long term. But it's always gonna be about $$$$ so there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

I have trust issues with the NFL & changes therein. 

Just as I'm concerned about player wear & tear, coaching staffs are as well. If they aren't playing for anything important, I think some coaches would be quite comfortable giving their older stars a few extra series off in the latter part of the season. I'm not sure how adding an extra game won't give some coaches pause. Especially in the 1st year of implimenting it. 

Also, related - fair or not, if some star player gets hurt in a meaningless week 18 game right before the playoffs in the new extended season, there's gonna be an uproar. 
Can't be much of an uproar.  The players signed off on this in the CBA.  It's here and here to stay, it's simply the new norm we as fans need to adjust ourselves to.

That team doesn’t only need to worry about winning the division - seeding also matters.

Can't be much of an uproar.  The players signed off on this in the CBA.  It's here and here to stay, it's simply the new norm we as fans need to adjust ourselves to.
Crazy that in a brutal game filled with injury, the players had to agree to an additional risk of injury in order to get allowed the use of a safe non-addictive pain killer.

That team doesn’t only need to worry about winning the division - seeding also matters.
Yeah, I mentioned seeding previously. It is possible that things are determined early. Maybe it’s not likely, but I just don’t know. I’d like to see how the extra game season plays out before changing my league to 17 games. 

Well I’m in an uproar about it. Isn’t that enough to move the needle? 

:unsure:

Yeah, I mentioned seeding previously. It is possible that things are determined early. Maybe it’s not likely, but I just don’t know. I’d like to see how the extra game season plays out before changing my league to 17 games. 
Interesting. But ya, a 3 game lead on the 2nd best team in the conference won't happen in the next 10 yrs. A team pretty much would need to be undefeated and no other decent teams in the entire conference. 

To skip 2 full weeks for fantasy playoffs simply because of this, seems quite terrible imo. Not sure I'd want to play In a league like this. People draft and do rankings accordingly based on this assumption. 

To skip 2 full weeks for fantasy playoffs simply because of this, seems quite terrible imo. Not sure I'd want to play In a league like this. People draft and do rankings accordingly based on this assumption. 
In context, nothing would change. In my IDP league everyone loves the 14-2 format. So I'm not sure what you mean by "skipping 2 full weeks for fantasy playoffs".  We already don't play beyond week 16, and we have a balanced schedule (6 divisional games & 8 non-divisional, playing each divisional team 2x and every non-divisional team 1x). 

So In effect if I were to propose moving to a WC/BYE format I'd be adding a week, & adding 2 playoff teams. That represents a fairly dramatic format change. 

In context, nothing would change. In my IDP league everyone loves the 14-2 format. So I'm not sure what you mean by "skipping 2 full weeks for fantasy playoffs".  We already don't play beyond week 16, and we have a balanced schedule (6 divisional games & 8 non-divisional, playing each divisional team 2x and every non-divisional team 1x). 

So In effect if I were to propose moving to a WC/BYE format I'd be adding a week, & adding 2 playoff teams. That represents a fairly dramatic format change. 
Does each div winner make the playoffs?  So the 5th best team could very easily have a better record than a div winner in a bad div and miss out on playoffs? 

As for not changing it, many people rely on site rankings.  Say what you want about people's rights to use said rankings, but many of them will be ranked with week 17 championship in mind. 

Agree your 3 div format schedule works nicely as it is now.  But I would definitely go to a 6 tram playoff like the majority of leagues.  Easy chance to do it this year and fix it up :P

Does each div winner make the playoffs?  So the 5th best team could very easily have a better record than a div winner in a bad div and miss out on playoffs? 
Technically, yes. It hasn't happened that I recall, but it is possible, just as it happens in the NFL. I'll go ahead and assume you've already written Roger Goodell a strongly worded letter complaining vehemently about the NFC East? 

As for not changing it, many people rely on site rankings.  Say what you want about people's rights to use said rankings, but many of them will be ranked with week 17 championship in mind. 
No offense, I just don't see how that's relevant in the slightest. People will draft for talent. No projection for something 17 weeks out is going to make me take one player over another unless we're talking SOS, which also doesn't dramatically change things IMO. 

Agree your 3 div format schedule works nicely as it is now.  But I would definitely go to a 6 tram playoff like the majority of leagues.  Easy chance to do it this year and fix it up :P
I am filled with white hot rage at the very prospect of this, but my league is democratic so we will vote on it.  Diluting my league like an 8-seed NBA team isn't an exciting option, but I concede I may have to since the NFL are greedy pigs who care only about that sweet sweet television revenue. 

And like a Roma curse, now my league is blowing up the league board about this. 

What we have so far: NO ONE wants a BYE week with 6 playoff teams. (thank god)

We're currently leaning towards a 15 week season, with week 15 a randomized matchup of non-divisional teams. It wouldn't be right for an unequal number of divisional games. We like the balance of each of the divisional teams playing 2x. If there's a 2nd matchup of non-divisional teams it doesn't really impact anything. 

We'll have to vote on it, but those are the proposals so far & judging by the comments, it will pass. 

ETA: we’d probably add the extra in-seasonal game in week 12, since it’s better to have divisional games as the last 3, after BYEs

unless they F up BYEs too. 

NFL has no room to talk about player safety at all.  Just quit trying.

Adding a game, no added money to the players (cap actually went down, didn't it?)....NFL adds a game and that revenue...adds the huge TV deal.

No extra bye weeks...no extra money.  The NFLPA is such a weak union.

NFL has no room to talk about player safety at all.  Just quit trying.

Adding a game, no added money to the players (cap actually went down, didn't it?)....NFL adds a game and that revenue...adds the huge TV deal.

No extra bye weeks...no extra money.  The NFLPA is such a weak union.
That was my 1st thought on this, and I said the same. Adding a game seems incredibly irresponsible from a player safety standpoint. 

And like a Roma curse, now my league is blowing up the league board about this. 

What we have so far: NO ONE wants a BYE week with 6 playoff teams. (thank god)

We're currently leaning towards a 15 week season, with week 15 a randomized matchup of non-divisional teams. It wouldn't be right for an unequal number of divisional games. We like the balance of each of the divisional teams playing 2x. If there's a 2nd matchup of non-divisional teams it doesn't really impact anything. 

We'll have to vote on it, but those are the proposals so far & judging by the comments, it will pass. 

ETA: we’d probably add the extra in-seasonal game in week 12, since it’s better to have divisional games as the last 3, after BYEs

unless they F up BYEs too. 
I run a few leagues, and a proposal I plan to pitch is extending the title game to cumulative score over weeks 16 and 17. It would alleviate some of the "bad luck" factor (stud with a minor injury goes on IR because his team is so bad; team with division sewn up rests players). One of the leagues I run has 14 teams, so, with the 13-week regular season, every team plays every other team once, which is perfect to me, leading me to look at ways of changing the playoff format instead. 

I run a few leagues, and a proposal I plan to pitch is extending the title game to cumulative score over weeks 16 and 17. It would alleviate some of the "bad luck" factor (stud with a minor injury goes on IR because his team is so bad; team with division sewn up rests players). One of the leagues I run has 14 teams, so, with the 13-week regular season, every team plays every other team once, which is perfect to me, leading me to look at ways of changing the playoff format instead. 
Ooh - this appeals to the fantasy baseball nerd that I am at heart. ❤️ 

I kinda like this suggestion. I don't think it would fly but I might throw it out there. I suspect no one will want to stretch the LCG to a 2-week marathon. 

From 1990 to 2009 all the leagues I ran played 14 regular season games + 3 playoff weeks.  It was perfect for 12 team leagues.  In most years week 17 wasn't even much of an issue if at all but NFL teams started resting more players in the 2000's until finally I had a championship game in 2009 where my opponent and I both fielded about 75% of our teams off the waiver wire and that is when I put an end to the 17 week season and finally went to what most were already doing with 16 weeks.

I have been waiting for the day to be able to go back to 17 week season and it looks like this is that day.

I would assume week 18 just becomes the new week 17 with the resting players.  I don't like the extra week for chances of people getting 1 more week to get injured but the other alternative is to act as if nothing has happened continue to play 16 week season and then just do nothing for weeks 17 and 18.

The big question is how will the sites that have big payouts for the National leagues handle this.

I play in the FFPC, RTS, NFFC and DFWC sites.  Despite the fact that all of them had differences in what they did in the regular season they all had the same weeks 14-16 for the big prize.  So if some stay the same 14-16 while others move to 15-17 while maybe 1 even goes with 14-17 then that would be strange having big money league payoffs ending at different times.

We can't control what they do so it is what it is and have to live with it as far as that is concerned.

I hope the NFL doesn't push teams into the later bye weeks they are late enough as it is.

Didn't enjoy week 13 byes at all for the National contests last year but who knows how the NFL will treat the bye weeks.

This is another reason if the National contests extend the regular season then less chance the byes hit their playoffs like last year.

From 1990 to 2009 all the leagues I ran played 14 regular season games + 3 playoff weeks.  It was perfect for 12 team leagues.  In most years week 17 wasn't even much of an issue if at all but NFL teams started resting more players in the 2000's until finally I had a championship game in 2009 where my opponent and I both fielded about 75% of our teams off the waiver wire and that is when I put an end to the 17 week season and finally went to what most were already doing with 16 weeks.

I have been waiting for the day to be able to go back to 17 week season and it looks like this is that day.

I would assume week 18 just becomes the new week 17 with the resting players.  I don't like the extra week for chances of people getting 1 more week to get injured but the other alternative is to act as if nothing has happened continue to play 16 week season and then just do nothing for weeks 17 and 18.

The big question is how will the sites that have big payouts for the National leagues handle this.

I play in the FFPC, RTS, NFFC and DFWC sites.  Despite the fact that all of them had differences in what they did in the regular season they all had the same weeks 14-16 for the big prize.  So if some stay the same 14-16 while others move to 15-17 while maybe 1 even goes with 14-17 then that would be strange having big money league payoffs ending at different times.

We can't control what they do so it is what it is and have to live with it as far as that is concerned.
I'm really interested to see what the FFPC does, especially with the Main Event. I've always though the 11-game regular season was too short, but, at the same time, I see the simplicity in having each team play every other team once, so I can't imagine they extend the regular season. My bet is they keep it the same and end in Week 16 this year, because they've already taken deposits and payments for Main Event, so there might be legalities regarding changing the rules now. 

Users who are viewing this thread