What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 RB tiers and buckets (1 Viewer)

Very nice write up, but information below concerns me about Young:

Broncos | Hall says backs will keep fighting

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:02:30 -0700

The Associated Press reports Denver Broncos RB Andre Hall will share snaps with RB Selvin Young in the Broncos running game during 2008. Hall made it sound like there is no clear-cut primary back. "We're going to keep fighting. It might be Selvin one week. It might be me. Who knows, one week it might be (Michael) Pittman. We'll just keep fighting week to week," Hall said.

Could just be Hall talking, but ya never know with Denver

I don't post often but I wanted to let you know that I look forward to your articles every year. I've been wondering about taking a chance on Edge during my current draft, since he's falling down the board, and I'll take him if he's still available. Thanks for the great work again this year, it's appreciated. :mellow:
Don't be a stranger round here, thank you very much for the kind words.

Very nice write up, but information below concerns me about Young: Broncos | Hall says backs will keep fightingSat, 16 Aug 2008 03:02:30 -0700The Associated Press reports Denver Broncos RB Andre Hall will share snaps with RB Selvin Young in the Broncos running game during 2008. Hall made it sound like there is no clear-cut primary back. "We're going to keep fighting. It might be Selvin one week. It might be me. Who knows, one week it might be (Michael) Pittman. We'll just keep fighting week to week," Hall said. Could just be Hall talking, but ya never know with Denver
You haven't heard much from Shanny since Henry was given the boot, other than praising Selvin Young..I don't think he is saying that in order to trade Young away either.

Nice write up. If you were to break down the "Supporting Cast" segment (which I guess consists of QB/WR) doesn't the QB have to account for a big chunk of that, and then the starting WR's almost all of the rest of it? I think that the receiving depth the Oilers had back in the Moon days may have positively impacted Lorenzo White, but I have a hard time with the idea that Jordy Nelson & James Jones ultimately do anything for Grant. On a related unrelated note, I'm going to credit Nate Ravitz of all people (even though I felt the same way for a while but don't want to get accused of plagerizing) for pointing out that if you asked anyone a year ago to compare Driver/Jennings to Coles/Cotchery, you wouldn't have heard anything remotely close to the notion that somehow the Packer duo is significantly better. I'm not really sure why this is suddenly accepted as a no-brainer, which is one reason I really like T-Jones this year.
Driver was a top10 WR in PPR leagues and even non PPR leagues from 2004-2006...Coles and COtchery were not perrenial top10 guys, not sure how Driver and Jennings were not a superior duo at WR even last year. When I highlight WR3 and WR4 on a team, it's more about the depth. If Driver went down, it would hurt, but Jones and Nelson look awfully good.Nice post though, and I understand what you are saying about TJones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up.

If you were to break down the "Supporting Cast" segment (which I guess consists of QB/WR) doesn't the QB have to account for a big chunk of that, and then the starting WR's almost all of the rest of it? I think that the receiving depth the Oilers had back in the Moon days may have positively impacted Lorenzo White, but I have a hard time with the idea that Jordy Nelson & James Jones ultimately do anything for Grant.

On a related unrelated note, I'm going to credit Nate Ravitz of all people (even though I felt the same way for a while but don't want to get accused of plagerizing) for pointing out that if you asked anyone a year ago to compare Driver/Jennings to Coles/Cotchery, you wouldn't have heard anything remotely close to the notion that somehow the Packer duo is significantly better. I'm not really sure why this is suddenly accepted as a no-brainer, which is one reason I really like T-Jones this year.
Driver was a top10 WR in PPR leagues and even non PPR leagues from 2004-2006...Coles and COtchery were not perrenial top10 guys, not sure how Driver and Jennings were not a superior duo at WR even last year. When I highlight WR3 and WR4 on a team, it's more about the depth. If Driver went down, it would hurt, but Jones and Nelson look awfully good.

Nice post though, and I understand what you are saying about TJones.
My point was that due to QB/OL play among other things, WR fantasy stats don't do anything to prove that the GB duo is better; or at least not by a significant enough margin to have an impact on the running game....This is of course mostly subjective, so we'll see what happens. As you may tell from my name, I hope to be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only read half but the rest is going to get printed out, thus placing it into the rare hallowed category of 'bathroom read'.

A++ on the post! :thumbup:

I've only read half but the rest is going to get printed out, thus placing it into the rare hallowed category of 'bathroom read'. A++ on the post! :thumbup:
I write them with the intention that people will simply print it out and take it to the can. Should kill a lot of time and then you can just toss it in the trash on your way out... :lmao: Glad you like it JG, been enjoying what you have been posting in your short time in the SP as well.

I've only read half but the rest is going to get printed out, thus placing it into the rare hallowed category of 'bathroom read'. A++ on the post! :goodposting:
I write them with the intention that people will simply print it out and take it to the can. Should kill a lot of time and then you can just toss it in the trash on your way out... :lmao: Glad you like it JG, been enjoying what you have been posting in your short time in the SP as well.
Nah, I can't seem to throw things like this away. I usually write out the things I write before I type them. I've got all those still, tons of magazines and printed out articles from this board and site as well as many others. You never know when you may need them!

MoP -

I hope you are correct with Selvin Young, but has your opinion changed at all after watching some more of the preseason?

MoP - I hope you are correct with Selvin Young, but has your opinion changed at all after watching some more of the preseason?
Certainly I would like to see a little more, however it makes it all the easier to scoop him up a round later. I will be doing a revision with some updates in the next few days.

MoP - I hope you are correct with Selvin Young, but has your opinion changed at all after watching some more of the preseason?
Certainly I would like to see a little more, however it makes it all the easier to scoop him up a round later. I will be doing a revision with some updates in the next few days.
I scooped him up in the 7th round in a 12-teamer. Too much value at that point to pass him up. He clearly was being passed over for guys who were in clear RBBC's that were going to be split 50/50 at best, or reaches.I hope you nailed this one. It will go a long way.

Wonderful post, well thought out. Allow me to reply...McFadden: I don't see him standing on the sidelines very much, not after he was picked #4, and a HC that is on the hot seat, I think McFadden will be used a whole bunch, but I can see a possible tweak. If McFadden is too high for you, feel free to slip him down a tier. The "C" pool is pretty large and the difference between the two tiers is not night and day. Thomas Jones: I defended Washington a few posts up so I am going to stick with it. I think Jones will get his fair share of carries but I don't see him carrying it 20 times every game. Washington will be in on a lot of the pass play IMO, but again this grade could be tweaked a bit higher as well, not sure that would move him up a tier. I did initially have Thomas Jones a bit higher before I finalized some of this. The next 2 RBs you talked about have big time 1st round rookies looking over their shoulder. For example, while I like Tim Hightower, I don't believe he is any real threat to steal playing time from Edge...in other words it isn't an open competition. I believe Pitt and Tenn are both up for grabs. I do think White will get about 15 carries a game, and be in the game when they are winning and trying to wind down the clock. But the Titans need some playmakers, and Flash may be the only real threat they have, so I expect him to be involved a lot in the offense. If you pencil in White for 320+ carries with what we are watching unfold with Johnson, I can't come along with that POV. And Parker is not going to get 300+ carries again this year...he has a real threat on that roster and if he isn't going to get goal line carries, I find the "D" grade to be very fitting. I don't project much but if Parker has 240 carries for 900-1,000 yds and doesn't hit paydirt much, what have you got? You got a hole in your starting line up is what you got.Again, nice post.
Looks like I was off on Chris Johnson not being able to carry a full load. He was able to handle a large number of touches without getting hurt (aside from the injury in the playoff game against Baltimore). I wasn't too far off on the other guys though. McFadden saw about 11 touches/game last year, Thomas Jones got a huge workload and was much more productive, and Willie Parker got 19 carries/game over 11 games. :bs:

Users who are viewing this thread