What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Anarchy League 2 - The League of Champions (1 Viewer)

It is interesting to watch the comments, particularly how they are slanted toward runs. Occasionally these comments are simply encouragements to participate and grow the run while others are descriptive after the fact.

Three DSTs went between 9.7 and 9.11 - three out of five picks, but then it was all the way down to 10.6 before the 4th (Steelers) was taken. Another couple in the mid tenth and now three in a row at the turn going from 10th to 11th round.

A total of nine have been grabbed, with three teams already maxed out at their allotment of two. How many of those nine DSTs will have the added value from making the playoffs?

I guess with six of the last 12 picks being for DST, this is actually now a run. Only two WRs, two RBs and two TEs were mixed in with the six DSTs.
Yea I should have just come out and said lets get all the DST before that TE gluten can.

:stirspot:

Last edited by a moderator:
No panic at all here. Just that I wouldn't mind having had one of the top defenses that was "likely" (whatever that means in FFL world) to be a top defense, vs. getting 2 of #'s 8-20 and hoping for the best.

In terms at looking at rosters, I do it when I'm close to the turn (as stated above) and especially if I'm deciding between players at different positions, to see if one or the other is likely to fall back to me. Otherwise, I pretty much just look at what I need and hope for the best.

I think David's "cold and callous" remark reflects me as well. At this point, I'm using a shotgun approach and hoping for the best as opposed to locking in on one player that I "must have".

My feeling is that you don't want to be on the wrong end of selections at the constrained positions (QB, DST, K). Better ROI to secure those positions earlier than others rather than take the 50th RB or 60th WR...

My feeling is that you don't want to be on the wrong end of selections at the constrained positions (QB, DST, K). Better ROI to secure those positions earlier than others rather than take the 50th RB or 60th WR...
Don't know that I agree with that on defense. If the difference between #24 and #32 is only going to be 30 points (like it was last year), I'd rather take a RB or WR of my choice I'd leave defense up to chance.Of course, given that Cam Newton was selected 27th-31st last year amongst QB's makes it easier to say you might as well wait!

Don't know that I agree with that on defense. If the difference between #24 and #32 is only going to be 30 points (like it was last year), I'd rather take a RB or WR of my choice I'd leave defense up to chance.Of course, given that Cam Newton was selected 27th-31st last year amongst QB's makes it easier to say you might as well wait!
Sure, the difference between #24 and #32 might not be much... that doesn't have anything to do with the point addressed in my post...

Don't understand where u coming from jwb. I've never put those 3 in a category before. Don't see how taking a dst early is a good idea given that you are assured to get 2 unlike any other position except qb which is the highest scoring position in this format. K you are assured nothing. All 3 are more diff than similar.

Don't understand where u coming from jwb. I've never put those 3 in a category before. Don't see how taking a dst early is a good idea given that you are assured to get 2 unlike any other position except qb which is the highest scoring position in this format. K you are assured nothing. All 3 are more diff than similar.
Biggest difference to me is for the top six or eight defenses that are also teams expected to be super bowl contenders. Those indeed get the bump for the extra games, yet the NFL is so balanced it is challenging to pick those teams.Quarterback to me is the exact opposite to constrained. Once there are only eight to ten left, there is just not much to separate them. When it was down to nine, I reviewed the stats and play call percentages from last year and the only one that I noticed much different from the pack was Tampa Bay and they have a new coach who obviously would like to run more. Just not seeing any separation there and would much prefer to pick and choose among the current running backs and wide receivers remaining and just take whatever team quarterback is left standing.Really like adding the rookie David Wilson from the Giants this round and Burleson last round.

Biggest difference to me is for the top six or eight defenses that are also teams expected to be super bowl contenders. Those indeed get the bump for the extra games, yet the NFL is so balanced it is challenging to pick those teams.Quarterback to me is the exact opposite to constrained. Once there are only eight to ten left, there is just not much to separate them. When it was down to nine, I reviewed the stats and play call percentages from last year and the only one that I noticed much different from the pack was Tampa Bay and they have a new coach who obviously would like to run more. Just not seeing any separation there and would much prefer to pick and choose among the current running backs and wide receivers remaining and just take whatever team quarterback is left standing.Really like adding the rookie David Wilson from the Giants this round and Burleson last round.
Yeah, I don't understand jwb's point either.K - definately a constraint as you want one who will actually be playing.D - the differece between 18th and 31st last year was 32 points. The difference between 4th and 14th was 20 points. If you've got confidence that you are getting a top defense thenit makes sense to burn a pick early. After that it's better to get the better skill position player.QB - Agree with Holloway here.

There is typically a 40-50 point dropoff from the #10 defense to the #20 defense, and about an 80 point dropoff from the #10 defense to the last couple of defenses taken.My point on defenses is that IMO I maximize points by taking two top 10 defenses and waiting on RB/WR than by taking the 50th RB or 60th WR and waiting on defenses. I think I can suffer a lesser dropoff in points by taking the defenses earlier.Similarly, while I prefer to avoid taking QB in the first few rounds in this format, I also think it's important to get two QBs in the top half, particularly if you can get likely playoff QBs, to avoid a significant points dropoff. Obviously, if you wait and draft last year's Panthers Team QB, you benefit, but odds are that most who wait won't strike gold like that.The reason I grouped QB, DST, and K in my post is because in each of those cases there is a more limited supply. I think it's important to avoid getting stuck at the end in those categories because of the points dropoffs (QB, DST) and risk (K).All that said, as has been often stated in this and other Anarchy threads, there are a lot of viable strategies in this format, as has been proven over the years.

Quarterback to me is the exact opposite to constrained. Once there are only eight to ten left, there is just not much to separate them. When it was down to nine, I reviewed the stats and play call percentages from last year and the only one that I noticed much different from the pack was Tampa Bay and they have a new coach who obviously would like to run more. Just not seeing any separation there and would much prefer to pick and choose among the current running backs and wide receivers remaining and just take whatever team quarterback is left standing.
I agree that once you get to the point that only 8-10 Team QBs remain, it makes sense to prioritize other positions. My point is that I think it's important not to get in that position.

Gerhart was great value at 11.16 as the 49th RB taken. He finished #38 last year, and it seems reasonable to think he can repeat that with Peterson likely to be somewhat limited, at least early in the season.

Gerhart was great value at 11.16 as the 49th RB taken. He finished #38 last year, and it seems reasonable to think he can repeat that with Peterson likely to be somewhat limited, at least early in the season.
I am expecting the Vikings to try to run more even if Peterson is going off there is plenty of things Gerhart can do too. Protect Ponder with a heavy dose of running and try to keep the Lions, Green Bay and the Bears off the field as much as possible. The Vikings need to play defense to win any games in this division. I expect them to run the ball a lot.

The following teams have already used their flex spot:

S-Ref, There It Is, and rzr.

Please remember to comply with the roster requirements. I already had to fix that issue in one of the other leagues.

This one has been a long road as several have participated in the temporarily missing status. But, the continual involvement in the commentary has mostly filled the lulls.

Guys, I don't know what to say, except, 'I'm sorry'...

Wednesday PM, I drove down to Raleigh, NC for a Conference. Brought my laptop, predrafted where I could, etc...I was in meetings all day the one day, and that was on me for forcing you all to wait, but this AM, the last thing I did before packing up my computer and hitting the road was to predraft my Rd 13 pick. I was 2 away, so I put in 3 players, and when I restarted my computer when I got home this evening, it shows my predraft was put in place? None of the guys I predrafted were selected, but for some reason it didn't kick in when the Draft came to me at 13.07.

I tried to make this a non-issue, and for some reason it didn't work out, but I DID try. I didn't just blow you all off.

Sorry it didn't work out. I'm home now, and I'll get back to being a speedy Drafter.

Guys, I don't know what to say, except, 'I'm sorry'...Wednesday PM, I drove down to Raleigh, NC for a Conference. Brought my laptop, predrafted where I could, etc...I was in meetings all day the one day, and that was on me for forcing you all to wait, but this AM, the last thing I did before packing up my computer and hitting the road was to predraft my Rd 13 pick. I was 2 away, so I put in 3 players, and when I restarted my computer when I got home this evening, it shows my predraft was put in place? None of the guys I predrafted were selected, but for some reason it didn't kick in when the Draft came to me at 13.07.I tried to make this a non-issue, and for some reason it didn't work out, but I DID try. I didn't just blow you all off.Sorry it didn't work out. I'm home now, and I'll get back to being a speedy Drafter.
No biggie, some of us (well me) just look for other forms of entertainment (mocking) in the commentary thread during the pauses.Carry on!

Last year, by this point in the draft (currently waiting on pick 13.13), 14 kickers had been taken. Then, beginning at pick 13.14, 11 straight kickers were chosen, and 13 out of 15 picks were used on kickers.

This year, we've had 12 kickers taken so far. Whoever ends up on the wrong end of the upcoming kicker run will probably lose any chance of winning this league.

:popcorn:

I was worried that I was waiting too late on kickers and seeing as how I already drafted one that some are questioning, I think that this is a valid statement by JWB. There are several battles on-going in camps and there have been several zero points posted by kickers. I feel better that I have one that I think is solid and should have my second kicker in the bank later today.

Last year, by this point in the draft (currently waiting on pick 13.13), 14 kickers had been taken. Then, beginning at pick 13.14, 11 straight kickers were chosen, and 13 out of 15 picks were used on kickers.

This year, we've had 12 kickers taken so far. Whoever ends up on the wrong end of the upcoming kicker run will probably lose any chance of winning this league.

sorry....but :no: I won Anarchy 3 last year with kickers who ranked #15 and #21 thru week 17.

Even if I had taken a ZERO at BOTH kicker positions I still would have won that league by 90 points.

I won Anarchy 4 last year with kickers who ranked #26 and #29 thru week 17.

Even if I had taken a ZERO at BOTH kicker positions I still would have won that league by 361 points.

There are way too many other factors that go into winning these things than what your kickers do. So saying it will cost you any chance at winning if you are on the wrong end of the kicker run is inaccurate. You can take zeros at both and still win.

while I agree you don't neccessarily want those zeros....you don't have to have top guys and you could still win even if you do get zeros....

guess it would come down to what you consider "several" battles....while it might be nice to get two safe guys....you are banking on others not making the right choice later and getting those zeros....so while it may have made you feel better at the time you made the early pick on the kicker, you didn't really gain anything and allowed the guys that waited to have more stuff fall to them at other positions if they get it right....and even if they don't....it doesn't mean they are out of it...

but please don't let this prevent the kicker run from continuing.... :banned:

sorry....but :no: I won Anarchy 3 last year with kickers who ranked #15 and #21 thru week 17.

Even if I had taken a ZERO at BOTH kicker positions I still would have won that league by 90 points.

Even if I had taken a ZERO at BOTH kicker positions I still would have won that league by 361 points.

There are way too many other factors that go into winning these things than what your kickers do. So saying it will cost you any chance at winning if you are on the wrong end of the kicker run is inaccurate. You can take zeros at both and still win.

while I agree you don't neccessarily want those zeros....you don't have to have top guys and you could still win even if you do get zeros....

guess it would come down to what you consider "several" battles....while it might be nice to get two safe guys....you are banking on others not making the right choice later and getting those zeros....so while it may have made you feel better at the time you made the early pick on the kicker, you didn't really gain anything and allowed the guys that waited to have more stuff fall to them at other positions if they get it right....and even if they don't....it doesn't mean they are out of it...

That's all well and good, but you didn't win Anarchy 2, the League of Champions (and slow drafting) with lousy kickers. ;) Seriously, in Anarchy 2, the margin of victory the past 3 seasons has been no more than 51 points or so.

I'm pretty sure your performance last year in the other leagues was an exception.

I would tend to disagree with Ref and side with JWB on this one. Winning the qualifying leagues is really not the same as winning L1 or L2. On occasion, I have been pressed into service and do very well in the newbie drafts (like BNB will potentially do in L7 this year). It's not the same. Certainly Ref did really well last year in the other leagues, but it's a little different in the longer running leagues with mostly the same participants.

I knew there would be some of the "wish I could play in that league" thing....was expected... ;)

my response on the PK stuff was mostly tongue in cheek trash talk on my part cause the reason I won those leagues last year was my unreal TE combinations....(plus I got them much later than where they went this year)....but in addition, I stayed relatively healthy and hit on some decent picks...

and while I KNOW the reputation of this group (Legaue 2) deserves the self pimping and self patting on the back that goes on....believe it or not there is still some quality competition/drafting that goes on in the other leagues...the drafts ADP's really don't seem to deviate very much....

Bass is/should dominate 7...

the PK discussion gets some pop on that side of the arguement with the low margin of victory over the last 3 years....I am impressed by the low 51 point differntial average....I should be able to help raise that a little.... ;)

I knew there would be some of the "wish I could play in that league" thing....was expected... ;) my response on the PK stuff was mostly tongue in cheek trash talk on my part cause the reason I won those leagues last year was my unreal TE combinations....(plus I got them much later than where they went this year)....but in addition, I stayed relatively healthy and hit on some decent picks...and while I KNOW the reputation of this group (Legaue 2) deserves the self pimping and self patting on the back that goes on....believe it or not there is still some quality competition/drafting that goes on in the other leagues...the drafts ADP's really don't seem to deviate very much....Bass is/should dominate 7...the PK discussion gets some pop on that side of the arguement with the low margin of victory over the last 3 years....I am impressed by the low 51 point differntial average....I should be able to help raise that a little.... ;)
Yeah, I was going to chime in that you should have mentioned drafting Gronkowski, Graham, and Hernadez in the late rounds just might have been a factor. Props to you for nailing those picks. If you do that again this year you won't need any stinkin kickers.

That's all well and good, but you didn't win Anarchy 2, the League of Champions (and slow drafting) with lousy kickers. ;) Seriously, in Anarchy 2, the margin of victory the past 3 seasons has been no more than 51 points or so.

I'm pretty sure your performance last year in the other leagues was an exception.
I picked Nate Kaeding last year as the second PK selected and got 0 pts from him getting hurt. I came in third place missing 1st by 112 pts. Nick Novak made 144 points in Kaedings place. So the 0 from the PK position did cost me first place.

I knew there would be some of the "wish I could play in that league" thing....was expected... ;) my response on the PK stuff was mostly tongue in cheek trash talk on my part cause the reason I won those leagues last year was my unreal TE combinations....(plus I got them much later than where they went this year)....but in addition, I stayed relatively healthy and hit on some decent picks...and while I KNOW the reputation of this group (Legaue 2) deserves the self pimping and self patting on the back that goes on....believe it or not there is still some quality competition/drafting that goes on in the other leagues...the drafts ADP's really don't seem to deviate very much....Bass is/should dominate 7...the PK discussion gets some pop on that side of the arguement with the low margin of victory over the last 3 years....I am impressed by the low 51 point differntial average....I should be able to help raise that a little.... ;)
I may give Bass some competition in 7. I have always finished in the top 3 for Anarchy leagues since I started doing them. Last year was my first year in League 2 though.

I picked Nate Kaeding last year as the second PK selected and got 0 pts from him getting hurt. I came in third place missing 1st by 112 pts. Nick Novak made 144 points in Kaedings place. So the 0 from the PK position did cost me first place.
or you could have drafted better elsewhere.... :boxing:

I drafted great and would of won if I would of selected a PK that didn't go on IR before the season started. It wasn't that I drafted the PK too early it was that he got hurt. If I would of selected my next PK on the list I could of won. But we can only if all day long.

I drafted great and would of won if I would of selected a PK that didn't go on IR before the season started. It wasn't that I drafted the PK too early it was that he got hurt. If I would of selected my next PK on the list I could of won. But we can only if all day long.
was just busting your chops.... ;) ...because you had to have drafted pretty well to finish that high....but the point I was just trying to make is I would imagine there may have been other parts of the draft/decisions/etc where had you gone a different direction, you could have covered those 112 points....not getting a zero from your PK is not the only place you could have improved your points...just curious....did you have any other significant injuries..?

coordinator...actually went back and looked...last part of draft killed you too as unfortunatley none of them hit for you....

16th Bernard Berrian 16 points

17th Donald Jones 52 points

18th Ernest Graham 36 points

Witten in the first probably didn't live up to his draft spot and Holmes in the 3rd....easy to look back now I know....good run tho...

coordinator...actually went back and looked...last part of draft killed you too as unfortunatley none of them hit for you....16th Bernard Berrian 16 points17th Donald Jones 52 points18th Ernest Graham 36 pointsWitten in the first probably didn't live up to his draft spot and Holmes in the 3rd....easy to look back now I know....good run tho...
Jones and Graham were actually doing well for that late of a pic but they both played less than 1/2 the year due to injuries. Berrian just sucked.Just to bust your chops I looked back and you and I were in the same league in 2008, 2009 and 2010 and I finished higher in all of them. :football:

coordinator...actually went back and looked...last part of draft killed you too as unfortunatley none of them hit for you....16th Bernard Berrian 16 points17th Donald Jones 52 points18th Ernest Graham 36 pointsWitten in the first probably didn't live up to his draft spot and Holmes in the 3rd....easy to look back now I know....good run tho...
Jones and Graham were actually doing well for that late of a pic but they both played less than 1/2 the year due to injuries. Berrian just sucked.Just to bust your chops I looked back and you and I were in the same league in 2008, 2009 and 2010 and I finished higher in all of them. :football:
For some reason, this reminded me of my putrid performance in the PDSL leagues last year. I had so many guys get hurt for all or most of the season that I was BY FAR the lowest scoring team out of ALL the leagues . . . by a few hundred points. Nothing worse than being in a no roster moves league when you can only field 5 players a week.

just coming into my own....I'm kinda like the Brandon Lloyd of this ####.....while a member here for more years than I can remember...I was late to the party discovering the gem that is the Mock Draft Forum and all of these leagues....still feel like I'm kicking the tires a little bit with all the talent that swims in here....but quite honestly, I learn more from this forum than any other area and I use much of the information/comments in here to formulate, make, change my thought processes heading into my regular leagues....I have always had the mentality that second place is the first loser so now that I feel a little more comfortable and have a couple decent finishes under my belt...I plan on trying to bring the smack and the pain at a high level... :boxing: ....hopefully some folks still chime in around here after all these wrap up....cause I use the commentary/feedback from the solid fantasy dudes in here quite a bit....and some things may change big time over the next month... :banned:

It is becoming challenging developing conversation topics to fill the void. These drafts, more than any other should speed up toward the end because the choices become increasingly less broad. The less options, the less difficult. Yet, we continue to drag along slowly and more like the hare than the turtle as occasionally we will get up some momentum and then we take a long nap.

Killing some more time while we wait on There It Is who only has one running back thus far, will he take another WR or one of his three remaining to be drafted running backs here?

Back stateside. Fortunately for y'all, because the beer in Italy is fairly disappointing (though that's partly made up for by the prosciutto and gelato). Come to Berkeley and we'll hoist a brew.

Back stateside. Fortunately for y'all, because the beer in Italy is fairly disappointing (though that's partly made up for by the prosciutto and gelato). Come to Berkeley and we'll hoist a brew.
glad you made it back safely and hopefully you enjoyed your trip.....there were times where the other 15 of us felt like we were right there with ya.....

glad you made it back safely and hopefully you enjoyed your trip.....there were times where the other 15 of us felt like we were right there with ya.....
I'm sure I had pasta at least once during his trip, so I am forced to agree with this.

I'd be interested to hear rad's reasoning in taking JAX QB in the 16th round instead of the last round as there were no other QBs left.

i get the impression fantasy is way down on rads list this summer. seems way more busy than usual.

Users who are viewing this thread