What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2012 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread*** (2 Viewers)

'Mustang Man said:
'simmonjm said:
'Mustang Man said:
Jay Ratliff added to the list of players who won't play week 1 against the Giants. Ugh. Just when the offense was starting to look like it MIGHT get healthy and click the defense takes a huge step back.
They actually have some depth at NT position with Josh Brent and Lissenmore. The starting o-line was finally playing together against the 1st team Rams defense and they looked spectacular. Romo had all day to hit D Harris on that long bomb and D. Murray had some decent runs. I am extremely optimistic about their prospects headed into the season. Giants look extremely tough the Eagles look in disarray and the Redskins are the Redskins.
OK why are the Eagles in disarray? I have not been paying attention to them in the preseason to much. I know Vick got hurt but nothing serious. Anything else I have missed? Cause going into the season I really think they are kinda scary. A s long as Dallas gets the big 3 wr/te's back and the o-line stays healthy they are really gonna be scary. The defense looks very good but I am a bit worried about the run defense. We will find out vs the G-Men fast. I really want to see the pass defense vs the G-Men cause they are really a pass heavy team now. It is a good matchup for Dallas now.
Eagles offense has not looked good, Vick is not getting protection and with his injury history this is not a good mix. On the defensive side of the ball the front 4 look spectacular but the back 7 look lost.
Well I hope you are right. I really think they are the favorite in the division. The G-men right behind them. The Cowboys are the wild card, they could go either way. The big keys to the Cowboys season.1. The secondary needs to be a strength.2. The O-LINE needs to be solid not spectacular.3. 4th quarter play needs to improve dramatically.If them 3 things happen the Cowboys are in the playoffs period.
If those 3 happen (and relatively healthy) this team is working on a bye in the playoffs.

Jabar Gaffney to the Cowboys please :thumbup:

Wiley old veteran with juice left in the tank.

Could be Robinson replacement.

Lets keep a few younger guys but get Gaffney as well.

he does not seem very crisp out of his breaks. Seems kinda sluggish on his routes.
Keep in mind he is 6'5.
Well see but I am not high on him. Hope I am wrong cause he has the size I like.
ESPN Dallas expects fifth-round rookie Danny Coale to beat out Andre Holmes for the Cowboys' final receiver spot.Injuries jeopardized Coale's roster spot after he appeared to be a lock in the spring, but he made his exhibition debut on Saturday against the Rams. Holmes, meanwhile, reportedly showed up to camp out of shape, and is now dealing with a back injury. Holmes' size (6-foot-5, 208 pounds) may be his only advantage over Coale's slot and special teams prowess.Source: ESPN Dallas Looks like we had this guy pegged. His size is intriguing but there is not a whole lot of burst to him.

I think in the long term that Coale will be the better prospect who will likely be able to participate a little better, on special teams. I hope so. I think he was good value in the 5th and has had that injury hanging over him.

Cowboys acquired C Ryan Cook from the Dolphins for an undisclosed draft pick.

The compensation is expected to be a seventh-rounder. The Dolphins will shed Cook's $1 million salary while handing the backup job to undrafted rookie Josh Samuda. Cook started 40 games over six seasons with the Vikings before joining Miami. The desperate Cowboys will count on Cook as insurance for shaky starter Phil Costa.

Related: Dolphins, Phil Costa, Josh Samuda

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

ANY info on this guy one way or another!

I looked him up on PFF, he was graded positively as a pass blocker and neutral as a run blocker. Also heard he can play all 3 interior positions.

Cowboys thread on page 7?? :confused:

Anyway, it starts tonight. Excellent opportunity to find out if this team developed any heart in the offseason. Tonight's game is a hard one to win, but we have as much talent as any team in the league. IMO, our season will be as much about character, aggression, heart and will as about ability.

Cowboys thread on page 7?? :confused:

Anyway, it starts tonight. Excellent opportunity to find out if this team developed any heart in the offseason. Tonight's game is a hard one to win, but we have as much talent as any team in the league. IMO, our season will be as much about character, aggression, heart and will as about ability.
also execution/mental mistakes. goin into tonghts game with modest expectations. as long as we can keep the game close and compete, and escape without injury to key players,..........its a long season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst OL in the league is going to ruin a studly defense built at the cost of ignoring the OL. Everyone but Jerry saw this coming. Hope they "gel" as the season goes along. Atleast they won't face a front 4 like this every week.

Worst OL in the league is going to ruin a studly defense built at the cost of ignoring the OL. Everyone but Jerry saw this coming. Hope they "gel" as the season goes along. Atleast they won't face a front 4 like this every week.
Sort of expected against the best front-4 in the league, wasn't it? Then Costa goes down and you have a Center who's been on the team less than a week. So, 5 new guys (or new positions) and they held their own after some nice adjustments in the 2nd half. Obviously need to work on the penalties, but I'd assume a lot of that was the new center. Huge win. Great start to build on.

I thought Cook was decent...not perfect.

That was a gutsy win.

Eliminate half of the penalties and they roll the defending champs.

yea the penalties were brutal! When Costa went out I was thinkin, here we go........The O-line as a unit stepped up and played a gritty game. Those penalties though............gotta get that under control. Good thing the D showed up to play.

Love me some Murray!! Bruce Carter! holy crap, all the sudden we have two playmakers in the middle. Did i mention i love having Lee and Carter in the middle? :popcorn:

Ok, celebrating over. Nice start to the season. :football:

I feel like we took three penalties back to back to repeat first down on purpose towards the end, to run out the clock.

Great win, we'll take it even though there's a lot to improve on. The amount of penalties was ridiculous, I can't believe we won on the road versus the SB champs with that many penalties. I thought the offensive line gained confidence as the game wore on, they actually ran the ball towards the end when they needed it. Romo played outstanding, all 3 Wrs played very well, Witten wasn't himself but showed his heart and outside of that first TD drive, the defense was impressive.

The corneds did their job and made Eli hold that ball just a little longer to help the pass rush. Carter was solid in the middle, he was getting to the ball pretty quick making this defense actually look pretty good. I will say Victor Cruz dropped some balls he normally catches and could have made it a little tighter but Giant fans can hardly complain considering what Welker did for them in the SB.

They can use the 1.5 weeks to get healty and ready for Seattle. Conhratz to the coaching staff for a hard fought victory.

'Bankerguy said:
I thought Cook was decent...not perfect.That was a gutsy win.Eliminate half of the penalties and they roll the defending champs.
All offense, too, right? I mean, aside from the horse collar (which was offense playing defense) and a couple other ticky-tack fouls, every penalty was on the OL group and Romo with the delay and false start penalties. I give them a pass for this game. Cook thrust into the center spot, 5-6 days after signing with the team. First game of the season jitters. Formidable DL putting loads of pressure on this group. That said, they just need to get better, plain and simple. We're going to lose more games than we win with that lack of discipline.Big props to Cook, though. Just being decent was more than should have been expected of him put in an impossible situation.

If the oline doesn't get Romo killed, his pocket savvy might just mask how bad they really are all year. Throw in 20 carries a game for Murray, with the occasional split workload to keep him under 300 carries for the year and we just might get away with murder in 2012 for ignoring the oline in the draft.

Important to note that the line probably won't look this bad all year since:

1). It's the first game

2). We just played against the best dline in football.

Here's to 1-0.

'th3f00l said:
I feel like we took three penalties back to back to repeat first down on purpose towards the end, to run out the clock.
plausible
I think that 82-yard scoring drive was actually 117 yards long. That was a huge statement drive to seal the game, stupid penalties notwithstanding.I hope Romo remembered to sign the locker room wall.

'th3f00l said:
plausible
I think that 82-yard scoring drive was actually 117 yards long. That was a huge statement drive to seal the game, stupid penalties notwithstanding.I hope Romo remembered to sign the locker room wall.
haha! yea that actually helped run down the clock. :rolleyes: When Romo is 100% his pocket mobility and improvisation is incredible! I just hope he can remain healthy as the season drags on. If he loses a step behind that line, look out.

Any word on Costa?

Huge win to start the season obviously. Several days off and then @SEA who is better this year IMO. Need to get off to a good start there and get the win no matter what. Schedule has some tough games this year later. We need to front load as many W's as possible to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs and actually doing something in the playoffs. Yes I know teams can flip the switch as PIT and the NYG have done to win the SB but we need home field I truly believe. Get some rest and get ready for week 2 guys. We're all pulling for you!!!!

happy happy joy joy!

man i'll tell you what, though

seeing that play clock count down to the last second over and over and over again and watching them struggle to snap the ball before the penalty is brutal

happy happy joy joy!man i'll tell you what, thoughseeing that play clock count down to the last second over and over and over again and watching them struggle to snap the ball before the penalty is brutal
Does anybody know why that is for the Cowboys? Is it Romo taking too long or is the coaching staff taking too long to get the play in? I don't think I have ever seen a team so consistently taking so long to get the snap off.

Jay Ratliff added to the list of players who won't play week 1 against the Giants. Ugh. Just when the offense was starting to look like it MIGHT get healthy and click the defense takes a huge step back.
They actually have some depth at NT position with Josh Brent and Lissenmore. The starting o-line was finally playing together against the 1st team Rams defense and they looked spectacular. Romo had all day to hit D Harris on that long bomb and D. Murray had some decent runs. I am extremely optimistic about their prospects headed into the season. Giants look extremely tough the Eagles look in disarray and the Redskins are the Redskins.
OK why are the Eagles in disarray? I have not been paying attention to them in the preseason to much. I know Vick got hurt but nothing serious. Anything else I have missed? Cause going into the season I really think they are kinda scary. A s long as Dallas gets the big 3 wr/te's back and the o-line stays healthy they are really gonna be scary. The defense looks very good but I am a bit worried about the run defense. We will find out vs the G-Men fast. I really want to see the pass defense vs the G-Men cause they are really a pass heavy team now. It is a good matchup for Dallas now.
Eagles offense has not looked good, Vick is not getting protection and with his injury history this is not a good mix. On the defensive side of the ball the front 4 look spectacular but the back 7 look lost.
Well I hope you are right. I really think they are the favorite in the division. The G-men right behind them. The Cowboys are the wild card, they could go either way. The big keys to the Cowboys season.1. The secondary needs to be a strength.2. The O-LINE needs to be solid not spectacular.3. 4th quarter play needs to improve dramatically.If them 3 things happen the Cowboys are in the playoffs period.
If those 3 happen (and relatively healthy) this team is working on a bye in the playoffs.
1.Looks like this is a strength. CHECK2.O-line was shaky in the first half, in the second half they were solid. 4 drives 3 td's and 1 fg last drive time runs out. 1/2 CHECK3. Played very well in the 4th quarter. The long run on the draw does not happen unless they are in a prevent. No big plays let up. CHECKThey hit on 2.5 of 3 and beat the Champs in their house pretty comfortably. Keep these 3 things up each and every week and we my friends will have a good year.

happy happy joy joy!man i'll tell you what, thoughseeing that play clock count down to the last second over and over and over again and watching them struggle to snap the ball before the penalty is brutal
Does anybody know why that is for the Cowboys? Is it Romo taking too long or is the coaching staff taking too long to get the play in? I don't think I have ever seen a team so consistently taking so long to get the snap off.
Someone mentioned it had to do with Romo reading the blitz that were coming.We really picked things up in the 2nd half. Very happy with what we did. If we can stay healthy/cut down on the bonehead penalties (felt like deja vu for a bit there last night), sky's the limit.Claibourne/Carr >>>>>>>>>> Jenkins/Newman. Can't count how many games those guys have blown in the past.

i don't know but it drives me freaking NUTS!!!!i keep thinking "maybe they'll solve it in the off season"nope

Someone mentioned it had to do with Romo reading the blitz that were coming.We really picked things up in the 2nd half. Very happy with what we did. If we can stay healthy/cut down on the bonehead penalties (felt like deja vu for a bit there last night), sky's the limit.Claibourne/Carr >>>>>>>>>> Jenkins/Newman. Can't count how many games those guys have blown in the past.
I was about to comment that we might rename our defense, or at least the changes from last year, CCC. Carr, Claiborne, Carter. Those three guys replacing an injured Jenkins and too old Newman/Brookings/James made an enormous difference in coverage. Those were some of the most exploited areas of the team last year and they've all been addressed.CCC, well done!

If the oline doesn't get Romo killed, his pocket savvy might just mask how bad they really are all year. Throw in 20 carries a game for Murray, with the occasional split workload to keep him under 300 carries for the year and we just might get away with murder in 2012 for ignoring the oline in the draft free agency.
Fixed.Immediate help on the interior would not have been affected much by our draft. But, our approach to FA was awful in ignoring a bunch of guards who could have made an immediate impact.

Taking votes on a new title and I'll change it ... or someone just start a new in-season thread.

Pretty sure the late snaps were a combination of running down the clock with audibles after reading the defense with having a new center that several times didn't snap it as soon as Romo wanted it seemed.

Felix looked HORRIBLE ... I think the trade window on him is gone. Wouldn't be shocked if they promote our PS guy and make Tanner our #2 before the season is out. Murray better stay healthy as the drop seems HUGE right now.

When Jenkins is healthy do they keep him as insurance or try to trade him for an interior linemen? He would ABUSE most team's 3rd best WR I'd think so he'd definately play this year.

'Ariakis said:
Taking votes on a new title and I'll change it ... or someone just start a new in-season thread.Pretty sure the late snaps were a combination of running down the clock with audibles after reading the defense with having a new center that several times didn't snap it as soon as Romo wanted it seemed.Felix looked HORRIBLE ... I think the trade window on him is gone. Wouldn't be shocked if they promote our PS guy and make Tanner our #2 before the season is out. Murray better stay healthy as the drop seems HUGE right now.When Jenkins is healthy do they keep him as insurance or try to trade him for an interior linemen? He would ABUSE most team's 3rd best WR I'd think so he'd definately play this year.
I absolutely hate the idea of trading Jenkins for an interior lineman especially after getting Livings and Bernadeau who seemed to get their feet under them as game went on. Add in the fact that Rob Ryan's defense is predicated on 2 good CBs which Scandrick is not and giving up Jenkins for a scrub interior lineman is not good business. (Scandrick is mediocre and you would be hard pressed to find team to give up good starting G).

'Ariakis said:
Taking votes on a new title and I'll change it ... or someone just start a new in-season thread.Pretty sure the late snaps were a combination of running down the clock with audibles after reading the defense with having a new center that several times didn't snap it as soon as Romo wanted it seemed.Felix looked HORRIBLE ... I think the trade window on him is gone. Wouldn't be shocked if they promote our PS guy and make Tanner our #2 before the season is out. Murray better stay healthy as the drop seems HUGE right now.When Jenkins is healthy do they keep him as insurance or try to trade him for an interior linemen? He would ABUSE most team's 3rd best WR I'd think so he'd definately play this year.
New thread now open.

Users who are viewing this thread