What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2012 Official Philadelphia Eagles Post Mortem Thread *** (2 Viewers)

WTF? Really beginning to believe that these guys don't know there ####### from their earhole. All signs point to Bradley being a diamond in the rough that could really turn this team around. Multiple well-respected players and coaches have come out unsolicited and testified to his abilities, his football knowledge, his ability to get the most out of his player and have thrown overwhelming support behind him being a HC in the NFL. Not to mention he fits the mold of a fiery defensive minded coach that this city is yearning for....meh, lets let him explore other options and bring in yet another name. Who's next? Joe from accounting? Who is running the shopw over there? What are they thinking? The only way you let him leave is that he somehow did not impress in his interview to the point where you questioned his abilities. A guy that Monte Kiffin referred to as a "once-in-a-lifetime coach" that will "take over the room" in an interview. A guy who had to interview for his job after the rest of the staff was jettisoned and impressed Pete Carroll so much that he kept him on staff and has been quoted as saying he has a 'brilliant football mind'. Unless Gus went boozing the night before and blew chunks on Lurie, I find it hard to believe that he didn't say the right things.####.ETA: Obviously, the other possibility is that Gus came in, blew them away like everyone said he would, but then looked at the situation in the FO as well as the team-in-place and balked. That'd be a hell of an indictment of Roseman/Lurie. Especially if he ends up viewing frigging Jax Jags as a more desirable location than the 'gold standard' team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible they simply just didn't offer him the job?I wanted him as much as anyone but him leaving does not just mean we F'd it up. Maybe he comes back for a second interview or maybe he's not the guy we want.

WTF? Really beginning to believe that these guys don't know there ####### from their earhole. All signs point to Bradley being a diamond in the rough that could really turn this team around. Multiple well-respected players and coaches have come out unsolicited and testified to his abilities, his football knowledge, his ability to get the most out of his player and have thrown overwhelming support behind him being a HC in the NFL. Not to mention he fits the mold of a fiery defensive minded coach that this city is yearning for....meh, lets let him explore other options and bring in yet another name. Who's next? Joe from accounting? Who is running the shopw over there? What are they thinking? The only way you let him leave is that he somehow did not impress in his interview to the point where you questioned his abilities. A guy that Monte Kiffin referred to as a "once-in-a-lifetime coach" that will "take over the room" in an interview. A guy who had to interview for his job after the rest of the staff was jettisoned and impressed Pete Carroll so much that he kept him on staff and has been quoted as saying he has a 'brilliant football mind'. Unless Gus went boozing the night before and blew chunks on Lurie, I find it hard to believe that he didn't say the right things.####.
He owes it to himself to interview with every team that's interested, not jump at the first team that wants him.

WTF? Really beginning to believe that these guys don't know there ####### from their earhole. All signs point to Bradley being a diamond in the rough that could really turn this team around. Multiple well-respected players and coaches have come out unsolicited and testified to his abilities, his football knowledge, his ability to get the most out of his player and have thrown overwhelming support behind him being a HC in the NFL. Not to mention he fits the mold of a fiery defensive minded coach that this city is yearning for....meh, lets let him explore other options and bring in yet another name. Who's next? Joe from accounting? Who is running the shopw over there? What are they thinking? The only way you let him leave is that he somehow did not impress in his interview to the point where you questioned his abilities. A guy that Monte Kiffin referred to as a "once-in-a-lifetime coach" that will "take over the room" in an interview. A guy who had to interview for his job after the rest of the staff was jettisoned and impressed Pete Carroll so much that he kept him on staff and has been quoted as saying he has a 'brilliant football mind'. Unless Gus went boozing the night before and blew chunks on Lurie, I find it hard to believe that he didn't say the right things.####.
He owes it to himself to interview with every team that's interested, not jump at the first team that wants him.
This. He can use jax to get a better deal. On the surface, why would anyone choose Jax over phili? Only things i can think of is less pressure to win and no state tax

Is it possible they simply just didn't offer him the job?I wanted him as much as anyone but him leaving does not just mean we F'd it up. Maybe he comes back for a second interview or maybe he's not the guy we want.
He's the guy I want because the alternatives are terrible right now. Whisenhunt? No. More peopl from College? No. Half hearted broadcasters that won a super bowl once upon a time? No. This guy was young, fiery and from all accounts had a good mind to know what to do as a HC. This is bad either way. If they let him walk because "he wasn't their guy" then I'm terrified of who their guy is. If he left because he couldn't get out of here fast enough, then Roseman needs to go. I said that back in OCtober that he needs to go but resigned myself to the fact that Lurie likes him. Now it's hurting business. I don't care what spin they put on this. They f'd up by letting him leave.

And the Eagles owe it to themselves to be convincing enough not to let him leave.

Today is a very big day for this franchise. Taking our time made all the sense in the world, but if we don't get Bradley to sign on the dotted line, and he actually considers JACKSONVILLE instead of us, I'm very worried that what we've been hearing about Roseman is absolutely true. We need Bradley to sign today or I have to dramatically re-set my expectations for whether we will return to prominence anytime before my sons head off to college (in 10+ years).
There are 3 people interviewing these coaches. Unless people think Howie is just going crazy in these interviews I don't see how this holds any merit. Laurie is well aware of how to conduct an interview and I'm sure since this is candidate #15 Howie has his share of experiance as well.I try to just keep this all in perspective. Gus is the guy I/ we want...but who am I? For all we know he simply didnt interview well or maybe he had no idea of who he wanted on his staff or maybe he's using Jacksonville as leverage or maybe his family hared the city...who knows

No doubt, but with the coaching gene pool waning, Roseman and Lurie owe it their team to not let the obvious front-runner leave without signing on the dotted line. That's Howie's job, for god's sake.

Today is a very big day for this franchise. Taking our time made all the sense in the world, but if we don't get Bradley to sign on the dotted line, and he actually considers JACKSONVILLE instead of us, I'm very worried that what we've been hearing about Roseman is absolutely true. We need Bradley to sign today or I have to dramatically re-set my expectations for whether we will return to prominence anytime before my sons head off to college (in 10+ years).
There are 3 people interviewing these coaches. Unless people think Howie is just going crazy in these interviews I don't see how this holds any merit. Laurie is well aware of how to conduct an interview and I'm sure since this is candidate #15 Howie has his share of experiance as well.I try to just keep this all in perspective. Gus is the guy I/ we want...but who am I? For all we know he simply didnt interview well or maybe he had no idea of who he wanted on his staff or maybe he's using Jacksonville as leverage or maybe his family hared the city...who knows
Then why keep him there for 7 hours? Its like an endurance marathon. I'd be begging to go anywhere if I was stuck in a room with anyone for 7 hours.

Is it possible they simply just didn't offer him the job?

I wanted him as much as anyone but him leaving does not just mean we F'd it up.

Maybe he comes back for a second interview or maybe he's not the guy we want.
He's the guy I want because the alternatives are terrible right now. Whisenhunt? No. More peopl from College? No. Half hearted broadcasters that won a super bowl once upon a time? No. This guy was young, fiery and from all accounts had a good mind to know what to do as a HC. This is bad either way. If they let him walk because "he wasn't their guy" then I'm terrified of who their guy is. If he left because he couldn't get out of here fast enough, then Roseman needs to go. I said that back in OCtober that he needs to go but resigned myself to the fact that Lurie likes him. Now it's hurting business. I don't care what spin they put on this. They f'd up by letting him leave.
Not me. Our best coach was simpley a QB coach for a team when we hired him. We havent even interviewed a position coach yet

Then why keep him there for 7 hours? Its like an endurance marathon. I'd be begging to go anywhere if I was stuck in a room with anyone for 7 hours.
The Inquirier (I think) had an article about the HC interviews and whats discussed during these. Owners/ GM's want to know everything from practice set ups, schedules, staff etc. The first thing we do as fans is try to compare this to our lives and in our lives a 7 hour interview sounds crazy, I agree. This is the NFL and they have a ton more to discuss.

In short, his is pretty much how I feel:mad:RoobCSN: Jeff Lurie's HC hires were Ray Rhodes, only guy to take Eagles to playoffs in first two years, and Andy. Why wouldn't you trust him on this?

Of course all we can do is speculate but as I alluded to earlier, his agent is in a prime bargaining position. He knows the Eagles HAVE to land Bradley due to this fan base. Do you think for a moment that Lurie wants to sell this city on Whisenhunt? After he just canned a better, more highly decorated coach in Reid? :lmao: Billick? After there were news helicopters following this guy's arrival in Philly yesterday? I'd like to know what it is that his agent is holding out for because I'd put money on the idea that his agent is holding this up.

Is it possible they simply just didn't offer him the job?

I wanted him as much as anyone but him leaving does not just mean we F'd it up.

Maybe he comes back for a second interview or maybe he's not the guy we want.
Not me. Our best coach was simpley a QB coach for a team when we hired him. We havent even interviewed a position coach yet
I get that. And they may be looking for the typical "we're smarter than the room" choice like a QB coach from Green Bay (who had been mentioned as a target last week). But this is pretty damning if he ends up being their guy. They aren't convincing enough salesmen to not let a guy leave town for what appears to be a lesser situation.

The Inquirier (I think) had an article about the HC interviews and whats discussed during these. Owners/ GM's want to know everything from practice set ups, schedules, staff etc. The first thing we do as fans is try to compare this to our lives and in our lives a 7 hour interview sounds crazy, I agree. This is the NFL and they have a ton more to discuss.
The guys they didn't want, they didn't keep nearly that long. Whizenhunt was gone after a couple hours. Same with the other token interviews like the guys from Atlanta. Chip Kelly they kept for 9 hours before his eventual return to Oregon. I mean what do I know about coaching interviews. Absolutely nothing. But I can tell you that on the surface this now looks bad. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt up until this. Now I'm worried.

As I said a few pages ago, I have no problem trusting Lurie in who he hires, and really don't care whether I like the hire or anyone else does.What's starting to concern me though is the hard-to-ignore perception that we're whiffing on guys we genuinely want. Interviewing a broad group of people is one thing, but spending 2 days (Chip Kelly), a whole day (Brian Kelly) and two meetings (Gus Bradley) on guys and their passing on the job troubles me greatly, particularly in Bradley's case where he's now thinking it might be more advantageous in JACKSONVILLE!?!?

As I said a few pages ago, I have no problem trusting Lurie in who he hires, and really don't care whether I like the hire or anyone else does.What's starting to concern me though is the hard-to-ignore perception that we're whiffing on guys we genuinely want. Interviewing a broad group of people is one thing, but spending 2 days (Chip Kelly), a whole day (Brian Kelly) and two meetings (Gus Bradley) on guys and their passing on the job troubles me greatly, particularly in Bradley's case where he's now thinking it might be more advantageous in JACKSONVILLE!?!?
This ^ is how I been feeling, you just put it into better words lol. Him leaving is not a good thing. Eagles should have been doing everything to have him NOT get on that jet to Jacksonville. The fact he did get on it tells me that there is some doubts from Bradley about the Eagles job. IMHO this is the what? 4th coach they were targeting heavily that has left without a contract with the Eagles ( Kelly, Kelly, Obrien Bradley ). Maybe not so much OBrien but yea, he had to be up there.Different note, Senior bowl is this weekend correct? Will Howie be there?
In short, his is pretty much how I feel:mad:RoobCSN: Jeff Lurie's HC hires were Ray Rhodes, only guy to take Eagles to playoffs in first two years, and Andy. Why wouldn't you trust him on this?
Because it happened 14+ years ago, #### changes lol.

This is where I'm at. Sure we may higher another QB coach and he may turn out great. At this point though, the perception is that whoever we higher, it's choice D or E on the list because A, B and C said no thanks.

I don't count the Kelly's. It's not as if either of them took jobs over ours, they simply went back to where they were. Now had they spent that much time with us and rolled to Cleveland or KC I could understand.Same with Bradley at the moment. This wasn't technically his second interview. It was widley reported that this was simply a continuation of his first meeting since we only spent 90 minutes with him on Saturday. The moment he stepped off of the plane, when he didnt have his agent or family people started saying a deal would not be done. What followed was obviously people trying to jump the gun, but if you trusted the initial signs this wasnt really a big suprise.I just try to keep in perspective how I felt when they hired Reid and what the initail reaction was then. I know some may be too young to remember or it was just too long ago but Reid was NOT a popular hire and there was many more coaches that fans wanted. That's what helps me anyway. No matter who they hire it will be 8 months before they can show use whether or not it was any good. If they trust the QB Coach from NE then so be it. We as fans have no clue who's on their list. Same with draft picks when April rolls around. Just trust the process. Laurie hired Rhodes (playoff in his first 2 years) and then Reid....I'm willing to see this through.

In a way this is a downside of the connected universe we live in now. We know every guy that gets talked to, and that creates a narrative on whether we're accomplishing our goals. Back when we hired Andy, none of us had ANY idea whether he was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 10th choice. He was the right choice, clearly, but we don't know if it was ultimately by default.

This is where I'm at. Sure we may higher another QB coach and he may turn out great. At this point though, the perception is that whoever we higher, it's choice D or E on the list because A, B and C said no thanks.
A, B & C said no thanks to everyone, not just us. IMHO that speaks more to what they wanted then anything we did or did not do. Hell, O'Brien ONLY inteerviewed with 2 teams and Brian Kelly ONLY interviewed with us.

In a way this is a downside of the connected universe we live in now. We know every guy that gets talked to, and that creates a narrative on whether we're accomplishing our goals. Back when we hired Andy, none of us had ANY idea whether he was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 10th choice. He was the right choice, clearly, but we don't know if it was ultimately by default.
That still remains today. The major differeance is that the media needs to create a story and this makes it 10x easier.

@RoobCSN: disgruntled former employee? have never heard a single attributed negative comment @leeal02 what's your take on origin of Howie negativity?

A, B & C said no thanks to everyone, not just us. IMHO that speaks more to what they wanted then anything we did or did not do. Hell, O'Brien ONLY inteerviewed with 2 teams and Brian Kelly ONLY interviewed with us.
A was Chip Kelly. They interviewed for 9 hours and couldn't convince him. B was Obrien. Same.C was Bradley. He may come back but they let him walk away. So now we're onto whoever. I'm not panicked. We'll get a coach. He may be a good one. At this point though, it's looking like we'll be last to get one. That to me does not convey a good message.

As I said a few pages ago, I have no problem trusting Lurie in who he hires, and really don't care whether I like the hire or anyone else does.

What's starting to concern me though is the hard-to-ignore perception that we're whiffing on guys we genuinely want. Interviewing a broad group of people is one thing, but spending 2 days (Chip Kelly), a whole day (Brian Kelly) and two meetings (Gus Bradley) on guys and their passing on the job troubles me greatly, particularly in Bradley's case where he's now thinking it might be more advantageous in JACKSONVILLE!?!?
A was Chip Kelly. They interviewed for 9 hours and couldn't convince him. B was Obrien. Same.

C was Bradley. He may come back but they let him walk away.

So now we're onto whoever.

I'm not panicked. We'll get a coach. He may be a good one. At this point though, it's looking like we'll be last to get one. That to me does not convey a good message.
See and this is what I hear a lot of but just can't understand. This isnt the first to a HC wins and the last loses. Bad teams make bad decisions and they're usually hasty ones. I'd like to think we're a better run organization then any of the teams looking for HC's and there hasnt been a guy signed to be a HC, for any of the teams that filled the vacancy, that made me think we missed out.You have to make an INFORMED decision. In order to do so you have to speak with many people and if ANY of them rubs you the wrong way or you don't get a good impression you have to let them walk.

Like I said before....Andy was simply a QB coach. He was not an exciting hire but they made sure they had the right guy. Sure we could have made a run at George Seifert who was probably the best HC of all-time at that time, or a hot DC like **** Jauron, or Guther CUnningham or the hot OC in Billick but they went with the QB coach from GB who was the ONLY position coach hired that year.

We just need to let this run its course and trust that they find the right guy, IMHO.

I'm not too worried. If Gus Bradley takes the Jacksonville job then either the Eagles didn't want him or he wanted Jacksonville. The second one seems less possible but you never know. Additionally, I'm not too concerned with getting a coach. Every year, people always look at successful teams and just pick off a coordinator but that makes it seem like a position coach or even a coordinator on a bad team isn't good which isn't necessarily the case. Sure I'd like Gus Bradley but there will be a whole list of new candidates next year with many new names like Fewell or Carmichael who become hot commodities just b/c their teams succeed next year and failed this year.

As I said a few pages ago, I have no problem trusting Lurie in who he hires, and really don't care whether I like the hire or anyone else does.

What's starting to concern me though is the hard-to-ignore perception that we're whiffing on guys we genuinely want. Interviewing a broad group of people is one thing, but spending 2 days (Chip Kelly), a whole day (Brian Kelly) and two meetings (Gus Bradley) on guys and their passing on the job troubles me greatly, particularly in Bradley's case where he's now thinking it might be more advantageous in JACKSONVILLE!?!?
A was Chip Kelly. They interviewed for 9 hours and couldn't convince him. B was Obrien. Same.

C was Bradley. He may come back but they let him walk away.

So now we're onto whoever.

I'm not panicked. We'll get a coach. He may be a good one. At this point though, it's looking like we'll be last to get one. That to me does not convey a good message.
See and this is what I hear a lot of but just can't understand. This isnt the first to a HC wins and the last loses. Bad teams make bad decisions and they're usually hasty ones. I'd like to think we're a better run organization then any of the teams looking for HC's and there hasnt been a guy signed to be a HC, for any of the teams that filled the vacancy, that made me think we missed out.You have to make an INFORMED decision. In order to do so you have to speak with many people and if ANY of them rubs you the wrong way or you don't get a good impression you have to let them walk.

Like I said before....Andy was simply a QB coach. He was not an exciting hire but they made sure they had the right guy. Sure we could have made a run at George Seifert who was probably the best HC of all-time at that time, or a hot DC like **** Jauron, or Guther CUnningham or the hot OC in Billick but they went with the QB coach from GB who was the ONLY position coach hired that year.

We just need to let this run its course and trust that they find the right guy, IMHO.
I know. I started this way. Maybe the internet age is getting to me. If they went through this process with Reid with today's technology, we'd all be freaking out. I know Lurie has made 2 good choices and deserves the benefit of the doubt but it doesn't LOOK good right now.So at this point, I'm too invested right now. I'm done following it. I'll check in when they actually announce something.

Bruno reporting on 97.5 that Chip Kelly back in play. Huh.? :popcorn:They're digging deeper into it to find out what's going on, stay tuned.

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKingRT @PaulCalvisi: Multiple NFL sources tell me Ken Whisenhunt is "a very strong candidate" to become the next head coach of the Eagles.

HOLY ####:Chris Mortenson:Chip Kelly is the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, according to league sources. No announcement yet.12:00pm - 16 Jan 13

Oregon coach Chip Kelly will be the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, league sources told ESPN.

Kelly re-emerged as a candidate recently and an agreement was just reached Thursday. :unsure:

...the ####?Sanctions definitely have to be coming down on Oregon. Wonder how much they paid him.

Users who are viewing this thread