What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2012 Official Philadelphia Eagles Post Mortem Thread *** (1 Viewer)

IMO, too much info via social media. When Reid was hired, I remember about 4 candidates (Holmgren & Haslett being 2 of them). I'm sure many more were interviewed. Nothing is secret with the current hiring process and everything is rumors and hearsay.

@RoobCSN: Again: Rob Chudzinski, Doug Marrone and Andy Reid have been hired so far. Did you really want one of them as HC of the Eagles? Wait & see.

@RoobCSN: If you made a list of the top 10 candidates on Jan. 1, how many have been hired? 0. If that starts to rise w.o. a hire, it's time to worry.

I've got no issue with an expansive search, I'm just unhappy about the latest editions.Give me McCoy or Bradley or Arians or Gruden. Don't give me re-treads in Whiz and Billick. Please.

Eagles Defense - TM - EaglesAccording to CBS' Jason La Canfora, there is a "growing perception" around the league that Eagles GM Howie Roseman is "woefully out of his depth."Per La Canfora, numerous "esteemed (coaches)" have advised candidates to replace Andy Reid "not to take the job precisely because of Roseman's presence there." There are "rumblings" that Roseman lacks "nuance and foresight," and is "turning people off with how drunk with power he's become." The Eagles are known to have targeted at least 14 candidates, and conducted 10 interviews. Reid, meanwhile, is settling in with the Chiefs.Source: CBSSports.com Jan 14 - 2:15 PMI'm sorry but that's just funny

Eagles Defense - TM - EaglesAccording to CBS' Jason La Canfora, there is a "growing perception" around the league that Eagles GM Howie Roseman is "woefully out of his depth."Per La Canfora, numerous "esteemed (coaches)" have advised candidates to replace Andy Reid "not to take the job precisely because of Roseman's presence there." There are "rumblings" that Roseman lacks "nuance and foresight," and is "turning people off with how drunk with power he's become." The Eagles are known to have targeted at least 14 candidates, and conducted 10 interviews. Reid, meanwhile, is settling in with the Chiefs.Source: CBSSports.com Jan 14 - 2:15 PMI'm sorry but that's just funny
:lmao: Odds that its Washburn floating rumors? Or Andy?

@RapSheet: For everyone asking me about an alleged @SiriusXMNFL report on Gus Bradley-to-#Eagles: SIRIUS says they haven't reported anything.

Don't believe twitter until its someone like McManus, shefter, mort, mayock, etc. Someone that can actually verify their sources not a fake account that throws crap against the wall. I believe Bradley will be the guy by no later than Wednesday. Whiz was probably on the interview schedule today and they went through with it just because. I'm not a believer in Roseman but I don't believe any of these rumors out there. Rumors in the twitter age can gain legs too fast. According to "sources," Billick, B Kelly and Cowher are already the head coach. And for the final time, Jon Gruden is NOT going to be the coach. If Lurie wanted him, he'd be here already.

Good article here from CSN. Don't believe or ignore the hype

Was just coming in to report that Seahawks boards are saying the Bradley to Eagles thing. Hard to say about a DC with such a good D on his hands, but good riddance. Other than individual effort, guy seems to have no clue how to get pressure on the QB. With Carroll's attention to the D, the next guy up will be up to speed in no time. Would galdly welcome Horton...

Was just coming in to report that Seahawks boards are saying the Bradley to Eagles thing. Hard to say about a DC with such a good D on his hands, but good riddance. Other than individual effort, guy seems to have no clue how to get pressure on the QB. With Carroll's attention to the D, the next guy up will be up to speed in no time. Would galdly welcome Horton...
I mean no offense but when Cris Clemons is your "best" pass rusher, it's not hard to see why they didn't have a dominant one. From an outsiders perspective, he had a pretty good scheme since Seattle's defense improved every year he was there. I'll take my chances with that.

Ok where did the Wisenhunt int come from? Two interviews in one day? I could fully understand all the constant interviews if Andy abruptly stepped down at the end of the season without the front office having any prior knowledge of this happening. Problem is that didn't happen. They knew he was gone, they had to have had a list of coaches they wanted to target, alot of info on said coaches already. Can also see some truth in the Roseman thing too. Coaches coming in I am sure did their homework also on Roseman. They may be looking at the past 3 seasons & how the drafts went, the free agency moves, then seeing how Lurie talked about how Roseman was responsible for just the last draft ( which is bull#### ), etc etc. Also seeing the guy is only what? 37 & not a football guy himself. I can see how some coaches might be turned off by that.I just can see some truth to that article.As for Cris Clemsons post above, the dude played well before he was an Eagle, played bad when he was an Eagle, then played well agian when he left the Eagles. We have to forget his Eagles tenure lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean no offense but when Cris Clemons is your "best" pass rusher, it's not hard to see why they didn't have a dominant one. From an outsiders perspective, he had a pretty good scheme since Seattle's defense improved every year he was there. I'll take my chances with that.
Chris has really come on the last few years in Seattle like he didn't do in his previous stops. Not just his pass rushing skills but also his 110% every play motor and vet savvy helped more than just with numbers. You can point to his early career and scoff but he's nowhere near the same player he was there. He isn't elite, but he's in the very good category. Also, it's more Carroll's involvement than Bradley's, IMO, that's made the defense improve every year considering how much he made over the personnel once he got there. Like I said, good riddance. Hope he's better at D than he was here with a D oriented head coach.

Chris has really come on the last few years in Seattle like he didn't do in his previous stops. Not just his pass rushing skills but also his 110% every play motor and vet savvy helped more than just with numbers. You can point to his early career and scoff but he's nowhere near the same player he was there. He isn't elite, but he's in the very good category. Also, it's more Carroll's involvement than Bradley's, IMO, that's made the defense improve every year considering how much he made over the personnel once he got there. Like I said, good riddance. Hope he's better at D than he was here with a D oriented head coach.
Meh, I guess we'll find out. Someone is going to hire him.

'delusional said:
As for Cris Clemsons post above, the dude played well before he was an Eagle, played bad when he was an Eagle, then played well agian when he left the Eagles. We have to forget his Eagles tenure lol.
That is true. I don't remember who our dline coach was before Washburn, but he was possibly worse. Never developed any talent.

^ sadly Clemons wasn't the only person this seemed to happened too. Eagles were like the team where previous good talent went to die defensively

'mad sweeney said:
That's the first bad thing I've heard about him.

FWIW:

What can you guys tell me about Gus Bradley?
Well respected around the league. Worked under Monte Kiffin in Tampa from 06 to 09. Kiffin raved about Bradley enough to make people take notice. Brought in by Mora, and the only coach Carroll kept when he took over. Prefers to dominate at the line of scrimmage. Wants to stop the run at all costs. Likes to play zone behind and mix in the blitzes selectively. Wants speed speed speed and guys who know how to tackle.

So yea, why would he come here then? ^ IMHO Id rather have an offensive minded coach because that is what this league is turning into now.

So yea, why would he come here then? ^ IMHO Id rather have an offensive minded coach because that is what this league is turning into now.
That doesn't really bother me. I think Belechek, Mke Smith and Jon Harbaugh all came from the defensive side of the ball and they're 3 of the 4 remaining teams. I just want a coach who can coach. **ETA**I believe almost all the playoff teams this year had defensive HC's

But those teams had pretty high powered offenses and there was almost zero defensive play in the playoffs so far. The offense has been the defense. Just heard Arians is NOT interviewing now...Bradley 2nd interview tomorrow alsoedit: here we go with the html fail for no reason at all, i hate editing posts

But those teams had pretty high powered offenses and there was almost zero defensive play in the playoffs so far. The offense has been the defense. Just heard Arians is NOT interviewing now...
They do has high powered offenses. Maybe we can have something to that effect in a few years. My main point was that it really doesn't matter what side of the ball the HC comes from so long as he can coach. Yeah I posted that above. Sources are saying it was never scheduled but with what's been reported it seems fitting.ETA--@JayGlazer: Eagles are bringing Seattle DC Gus Bradley in for a second interview tomorrow.

In case no one heard Ruben Frank on WIP this morning..He reported that the Eagles were planning on a lot of interviews b/c they wanted to talk to a lot of great football minds, & get the unbiased opinions of the team. Also, the Obrien & BKelly were brought in only for this reason, as they were not believed to be leaving their college teams.Other top news was in regards to Jon Gruden.. He stated that Gruden was not well regard around the NFL b/c of his attitude, lack of production in last 4-5 yrs, & overall antics. He noted that he has not interviewed for a single job since getting fired, and didn't believe that to change.That's all I remember..

'mad sweeney said:
'Insein said:
'mad sweeney said:
Show me one case where a personnel improvement doesn't equal on the field improvement. I can't gather all of the links to document this but since Bradley's entered the HC coaching ring I can't remember one bad thing said about the guy and plenty of good on the other end of it. IIRC Kiffin, current players, un-named sources, etc all speak highly of the guy. As many know here I'm far from blindly defending someone for the Eagles' sake but these posts from a SEA homer strikes me as a sour grapes type involvement. I'll gladly take my chance on a young, high energy former coordinator that's statistically improved the group under his charge.

In case no one heard Ruben Frank on WIP this morning..He reported that the Eagles were planning on a lot of interviews b/c they wanted to talk to a lot of great football minds, & get the unbiased opinions of the team. Also, the Obrien & BKelly were brought in only for this reason, as they were not believed to be leaving their college teams.Other top news was in regards to Jon Gruden.. He stated that Gruden was not well regard around the NFL b/c of his attitude, lack of production in last 4-5 yrs, & overall antics. He noted that he has not interviewed for a single job since getting fired, and didn't believe that to change.That's all I remember..
yea i don't buy that bull#### at all.They interviewed these guys with the intentions of hiring them and they all went back to their college teams.

yea i don't buy that bull#### at all.They interviewed these guys with the intentions of hiring them and they all went back to their college teams.
Jeffrey Laurie said that exact thing IIRC. I don't think anyone if them had intentions on leaving but that's JMHO. Peter King said it from day one.

Jeffrey Laurie said that exact thing IIRC. I don't think anyone if them had intentions on leaving but that's JMHO. Peter King said it from day one.
I do think Lurie wanted Kelly or Obrien though. They tried their best to lure them in. They both used it to get raises though. No real loss because no one else signed them either.

'mad sweeney said:
'Insein said:
'mad sweeney said:
Show me one case where a personnel improvement doesn't equal on the field improvement. I can't gather all of the links to document this but since Bradley's entered the HC coaching ring I can't remember one bad thing said about the guy and plenty of good on the other end of it. IIRC Kiffin, current players, un-named sources, etc all speak highly of the guy. As many know here I'm far from blindly defending someone for the Eagles' sake but these posts from a SEA homer strikes me as a sour grapes type involvement. I'll gladly take my chance on a young, high energy former coordinator that's statistically improved the group under his charge.
It wasn't just personnel improvement, it was a complete changeover in personnel, attitude and size. I'm not saying he's horrible. I just don't think he adds much to the D and has had serious issues in getting to the QB and in stopping third downs. With the amount of involvement Carroll has with the D, the next guy won't suffer much in growing pains.

'DJackson10 said:
'Amused to Death said:
'Skeletore Eh said:
Good article here from CSN. Don't believe or ignore the hype
lol - old white guys in denialIs Howie the next Vinnie Ceratto?I see many last place finishes ahead for Philthy

@johnclarknbc10: Jeff Lurie being aggressive getting Gus Bradley to come in from Seattle for second interview. Sent plane to Seattle
Like I said by Wednesday.
Maybe sooner..Howard Eskin... Think #eagles HC could obviously have come down 2 Whisenhut and Bradley. Nothing done but source: finalizing deal w Bradley. Will C11:15pm - 14 Jan 13

@johnclarknbc10: Jeff Lurie being aggressive getting Gus Bradley to come in from Seattle for second interview. Sent plane to Seattle
Maybe sooner..Howard Eskin... Think #eagles HC could obviously have come down 2 Whisenhut and Bradley. Nothing done but source: finalizing deal w Bradley. Will C11:15pm - 14 Jan 13
Tomorrow the deal will get hammered out. Wednesday the press conference. I originally said Tuesday but hedged and said no later than Wednesday.

Howard Eskin ‏@howardeskin#eagles HC situation is crazy. Source just told me Gus Bradley coming to Phila to finalist deal. Think eag could have coach in 24 hrs. Crazy
Say what you want about Eskin, but he knows people inside the novacare building. Probably done deal tomorrow.

'mad sweeney said:
'Insein said:
'mad sweeney said:
It wasn't just personnel improvement, it was a complete changeover in personnel, attitude and size. I'm not saying he's horrible. I just don't think he adds much to the D and has had serious issues in getting to the QB and in stopping third downs. With the amount of involvement Carroll has with the D, the next guy won't suffer much in growing pains.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/290959368936095744Apparently your coach feels the lack of pass rush is a personnel issue.

IMO, too much info via social media. When Reid was hired, I remember about 4 candidates (Holmgren & Haslett being 2 of them). I'm sure many more were interviewed. Nothing is secret with the current hiring process and everything is rumors and hearsay.
:goodposting: And all this twitter BS is dumb.

They were saying that this visit he'll be with his family and basically take a tour of the city. Hopefully they get it done today so he can start to put together his staff. I'll be very interested to see who his OC is and who he brings from Seattle with him as his DC.

See this is what I am curious about ^^^^^ The playoffs over the weekend showed that you need a high powered offense in this league. I am all for having a solid defense but you need an offense that is better then that defense. As of right now, we don't know #### what Bradley knows about offense. This is why I would have rather had McCoy. Speaking of whom, Chargers a nearing a deal with him.

'mad sweeney said:
'Insein said:
'mad sweeney said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/290959368936095744Apparently your coach feels the lack of pass rush is a personnel issue.
I mean he is a Hawks fan and we did see what the national media can do to coaches like Reid but I'm not so sure what his criticisms are. The defense was 4th in yards and 1st in points. Their 3rd down % was league average at 38% and they were tied for 4th in turnovers and tied for 18th in sacks. Last year, Seattle was 9th in yards and 7th in points and were again 4th in turnovers, tied for 19th in sacks and tied for 9th in 3rd down%.He wouldn't completely switch to the 3-4 but doesn't run the conventional 4-3. I'd have to think the interviews went over personnel and how he thought the current players would fit into his scheme so if he wants to come here, I would think he believes they have some of the pieces necessary to run his defense and the Eagles probably have better pass rushers than Seattle does. Obviously with any hire, it has its risks but I'm not really concerned with 3rd down % and getting to the QB. The Eagles should be able to get to the QB which is obviously one of the biggest factors in 3rd down % and this just seems like an overreaction by a fan to a game where these concerns reared their ugly heads.

See this is what I am curious about ^^^^^ The playoffs over the weekend showed that you need a high powered offense in this league. I am all for having a solid defense but you need an offense that is better then that defense. As of right now, we don't know #### what Bradley knows about offense. This is why I would have rather had McCoy. Speaking of whom, Chargers a nearing a deal with him.
Is he going to be the OC? If he hires a real good OC, what's his knowledge of offense matter?

It's all going to depend on the OC. Like I mentioned before though, a lot of succesful HC's are from the defensive side of the ball. We don't know much about him but we know that we looked at a LOT of different people and he was the first one they wanted. Even if you're pesamistic that should tell you something.FWIW, if you're one to believe what's being said about people around the league the main report from this past week about McCoy was that he was too soft to be a HC. I believe the person who inititally reported that was from Denver.

You need both an offense and a defense. There is no way to succeed with just one. Sure, you can have one carry the other to an extent but you need both. Look at what has happened in recent years when NE and GB had defenses resembling the Eagles. The 4 remaining teams are all in the top 12 in scoring defense and they are all in the top 11 in scoring offenses. So either way, if they hired Chip or McCoy or Gruden or Gus or Lovie, the hiring of the coordinator on the other side of the ball will be just as important but we can succeed either way.

Users who are viewing this thread