What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2012 Official Philadelphia Eagles Post Mortem Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Ugh, this offseason is already dragging on. Dammit, I need some Eagles football.
Flyers Hockey Jan 19.
screw the nhl they did this #### one too many times. I dont get Kelly from ND either, where did he come from?
I'll come back to the NHL but I'm going to be very bitter about it. But I digress. Don't understand Kelly at all. I liked Chip b/c he brought a revolutionary offense with success behind him. This not so much with Brian. I was willing to gamble on Chip's system without any NFL background but not Brian. I'll be upset if he gets the nod. I can at least understand Lovie. Wouldn't love the hire but most of the best hires I don't seem to love. But assuming he can bring Marinelli or someone who along with him can spearhead the defense and hopefully he learned from his failures from an offensive standpoint and get the right guy.
Brian Kelly has had good success on every team he has coached. He seems to be a good all around coach as he is not an devoted to just one side of the ball. Both his offense and defense improved every year. I like him more than chip Kelly. Not trying to say he's a perfect hire, but I would rather have him than most of these others being looked at. I still really like bradley from sea and would take him over kelly
Yea, Brian Kelly makes more sense than Chip Kelly to me. He did a lot more with less at every place he's been to. ND is not some top recruit class that overpowered everyone to the Champ game. If it wasn't for the name, they might as well be TCU or Boise State. Some talent and great coaching to get them to that point. It's just that Alabama has NFL caliber recruits at every position. Chip Kelly has the benefit of being the top program in the NorthWest right now with a highly specialized offense. He can recruit athletes and tell them they will score a lot of TDs in their college career. May not translate to the pros though. With that said, I'd rather a guy that's been in the NFL and knows how the day to day routine goes.

Ugh, this offseason is already dragging on. Dammit, I need some Eagles football.
Flyers Hockey Jan 19.
screw the nhl they did this #### one too many times. I dont get Kelly from ND either, where did he come from?
I'll come back to the NHL but I'm going to be very bitter about it. But I digress. Don't understand Kelly at all. I liked Chip b/c he brought a revolutionary offense with success behind him. This not so much with Brian. I was willing to gamble on Chip's system without any NFL background but not Brian. I'll be upset if he gets the nod. I can at least understand Lovie. Wouldn't love the hire but most of the best hires I don't seem to love. But assuming he can bring Marinelli or someone who along with him can spearhead the defense and hopefully he learned from his failures from an offensive standpoint and get the right guy.
Brian Kelly has had good success on every team he has coached. He seems to be a good all around coach as he is not an devoted to just one side of the ball. Both his offense and defense improved every year. I like him more than chip Kelly. Not trying to say he's a perfect hire, but I would rather have him than most of these others being looked at. I still really like bradley from sea and would take him over kelly
Yea, Brian Kelly makes more sense than Chip Kelly to me. He did a lot more with less at every place he's been to. ND is not some top recruit class that overpowered everyone to the Champ game. If it wasn't for the name, they might as well be TCU or Boise State. Some talent and great coaching to get them to that point. It's just that Alabama has NFL caliber recruits at every position. Chip Kelly has the benefit of being the top program in the NorthWest right now with a highly specialized offense. He can recruit athletes and tell them they will score a lot of TDs in their college career. May not translate to the pros though. With that said, I'd rather a guy that's been in the NFL and knows how the day to day routine goes.
That last part is mostly why I want Bradley. Really impressed with his defenses. The problem with him though is you would need to find someone better than average to run the offense as he will probably not be great on that side

'Billy Bats said:
Cowboys looking at Kiffin for DC.
Done deal.
Interesting. 72 years old and hasn't been in the NFL for 3 years...
There are two very interesting sides to this hire.One one hand, as you noted, he is 72 years old and the Tampa-2 he helped perfect has become near ubiquitous in that it's both easily coached (lots of former Kiffin acolytes around the league) AND easily attacked by offenses. Can he make his version work as well as it did in Tampa?On the other hand, he had an ASTOUNDING run in Tampa...his defenses ranked among the top 5 an insane 8 times in 13 seasons, and he had a top 10 defense in 11 of 13 seasons. No one has a record like that, it's impeccable.

'Insein said:
'need2know said:
'sporthenry said:
'delusional said:
'Insein said:
Flyers Hockey Jan 19.
screw the nhl they did this #### one too many times.

I dont get Kelly from ND either, where did he come from?
I'll come back to the NHL but I'm going to be very bitter about it. But I digress. Don't understand Kelly at all. I liked Chip b/c he brought a revolutionary offense with success behind him. This not so much with Brian. I was willing to gamble on Chip's system without any NFL background but not Brian. I'll be upset if he gets the nod.

I can at least understand Lovie. Wouldn't love the hire but most of the best hires I don't seem to love. But assuming he can bring Marinelli or someone who along with him can spearhead the defense and hopefully he learned from his failures from an offensive standpoint and get the right guy.
:bs: According to rivals, in the last 5 years starting with last year's class ND has had the #20, #10, #14, #21, and #2 recruiting class. They might not be Alabama consistently in the top 2-3 of recruiting but to think they didn't get talent is insane. In the same time frame, Oregon has been #16, #9, #13, #32, and #19.

Similarly according to ESPN, ND has been #9, #9, #21, #14, and #9. Oregon has been #18 ,#14 ,#22, not in top 25, not in top 25.

So this idea that Chip out recruits others is bogus along with the fact ND did it without talent. If anything, Chip gets out recruited but recruits for his system. So perhaps in the NFL, he could take a Josh Johnson or Darron Thomas and turn them into successful QB's? The point of Chip is that he has shown a system which is able to account for talent gaps. And while the Eagles have some talent, they aren't going to be confused with NE or GB anytime soon. Brian has shown to be a good coach but nothing I don't think you can't find in the NFL and I'll give him a pass for the BCS game since it was his first going against Saban but in order to win the SB, you need someone who is going to out coach the other coach and Chip has shown that.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Insein said:
'need2know said:
'sporthenry said:
'delusional said:
'Insein said:
Flyers Hockey Jan 19.
screw the nhl they did this #### one too many times.

I dont get Kelly from ND either, where did he come from?
I'll come back to the NHL but I'm going to be very bitter about it. But I digress. Don't understand Kelly at all. I liked Chip b/c he brought a revolutionary offense with success behind him. This not so much with Brian. I was willing to gamble on Chip's system without any NFL background but not Brian. I'll be upset if he gets the nod.

I can at least understand Lovie. Wouldn't love the hire but most of the best hires I don't seem to love. But assuming he can bring Marinelli or someone who along with him can spearhead the defense and hopefully he learned from his failures from an offensive standpoint and get the right guy.
:bs: According to rivals, in the last 5 years starting with last year's class ND has had the #20, #10, #14, #21, and #2 recruiting class. They might not be Alabama consistently in the top 2-3 of recruiting but to think they didn't get talent is insane. In the same time frame, Oregon has been #16, #9, #13, #32, and #19.

Similarly according to ESPN, ND has been #9, #9, #21, #14, and #9. Oregon has been #18 ,#14 ,#22, not in top 25, not in top 25.

So this idea that Chip out recruits others is bogus along with the fact ND did it without talent. If anything, Chip gets out recruited but recruits for his system. So perhaps in the NFL, he could take a Josh Johnson or Darron Thomas and turn them into successful QB's? The point of Chip is that he has shown a system which is able to account for talent gaps. And while the Eagles have some talent, they aren't going to be confused with NE or GB anytime soon. Brian has shown to be a good coach but nothing I don't think you can't find in the NFL and I'll give him a pass for the BCS game since it was his first going against Saban but in order to win the SB, you need someone who is going to out coach the other coach and Chip has shown that.
I guess they've been about even then. Looking at the drafts. 2010 Oregon and ND both had 4 players go. 2011 each had 1 player go. 2012 both 4 players. So pretty even. Either way, I don't want either coach.

'Insein said:
Flyers Hockey Jan 19.
I might watch but I won't spend any money on the leagued. Really :censored: when I heard they accepted an agreement made to them back in Dec or whatever. Hopefully once we get a coach and the SB is done things move quicker. Within 3 days from then we will hopefully get the word Vick is no longer an Eagle and we wish him well in his future endeavors.

Jeff McLane says it looks like Gus Bradley and Brian Kelly are the Eagles top choices. I'd prefer Gus, but I could live with Kelly. http://www.philly.co...argets_now.htmlAlso, I know it's Bleacher Report, but this is a pretty amazing article on how bad the team was. Check it out.
I don't believe a damn thing reporters say during this time. Werent Chip Kelly and OBrien top choices at one point too?Hell they have interviews Jay Gruden and Arians this week still. I just do not get the Kelly thing even though someone tried explain it. Has Kelly gotten interest from any other team in the league?People were so against Chip but now they are settling on Brian? Don't get it.Give me McCoyOverall this is looking bad for the Eagles.They keep going down the ladder and having their "top choices" change daily it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on board with Gus. I have had the pleasure of meeting him when he was at NDSU. Great guy and would be great to watch him lead the Eagles.

I don't believe a damn thing reporters say during this time. Werent Chip Kelly and OBrien top choices at one point too?

Hell they have interviews Jay Gruden and Arians this week still. I just do not get the Kelly thing even though someone tried explain it. Has Kelly gotten interest from any other team in the league?People were so against Chip but now they are settling on Brian? Don't get it.
:thumbup: I posted the same thing in the "Chip Kelly to Cleveland" thread. No one's reliable - they're all being used by either the agents or the teams. John Clayton was saying Lovie Smith was the Eagles top choice. I don't believe anything until the Eagles make an announcement.

Isn't Gus Bradley about to play in a playoff game? How can the guy take time to interview while preparing for a playoff game?
This is what I was thinking. Say the Eagles like him, they can't hire him until the Seahawks are done. So what do they do till then? Keep having token interviews while waiting with a verbal agreement on Gus? Seems a little odd to interview him now.

Well, if you wait till he's out of the playoffs, your other choices could have moved on. They need to talk to him, gauge his interest, and see if he's a good fit. If he is, then you have to wait. If he's not, you can move on and hire Brian Kelly or whoever it is.

So I guess we are all Falcons fans just so we can have access to Gus. I like Gus as a choice. Wish he could have brought Monte with him but between him or Lovie, the important part will be the OC selection.

@JasonLaCanfora: Many I'm talking to expect Brian Kelly to stay at Notre Dame rather than go to PHI. Eagles made approaches on Bill Cowher early in process

@Jeff_McLane: Bill Cowher said today he "had no plans" to get back into coaching. @JasonLaCanfora reported the #Eagles approached Cowher early in process.

Almost seems like the Eagles will be settling for the 3rd or 4th guy on their list at this point if you believe the reports.

@JasonLaCanfora: Many I'm talking to expect Brian Kelly to stay at Notre Dame rather than go to PHI. Eagles made approaches on Bill Cowher early in process
Just as I expected. Sounds like another college coach trying to get a salary raise from his current employer. I'm having doubts on later down the line how the NFL teams will view college coaches as candidates if they keep doing that.

@Jeff_McLane: Mike McCoy is the leading candidate for #Cardinals job, according to @mortreport. Some in the league think he's too soft to be a head coach.

@Jeff_McLane: RT @AdamSchefter: Toronto Argonauts/USC standout DT Armond Armstead visited last week w/ Patriots, Eagles, Colts, and might sign this week.

'Awful Waffle said:
SF's offense looks great tonight. Remember how they looked when they faced Seattle a few weeks ago? Gimme Gus Bradley NOW.
Fwiw, read something this morning about the niners not using the pistol the last two weeks of the season to hide it for the playoffs.

Well, this is interesting...

Reuben Frank ‏@RoobCSN

League source: Eagles interviewed Brian Billick on Monday. https://twitter.com/BSpez/nhl#

Reuben Frank ‏@

The interview already happened. Was this past Monday in Baltimore. I'm told he's considered among the leading candidates.
I have to question who is doing the telling. I doubt the Eagles are leaking this unless they have an ulterior motive for letting other teams know their intentions. My guess would be that its Billick's agent doing the telling.

Users who are viewing this thread