What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Pittsburgh Steelers Off & ON Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Take this FWIW: Jason La Canfora reporting Steelers plan to resign Plaxico Burress to a 1 yr, vet minimum deal in the next few days
The Steelers need receivers and I am fine with bringing Plax into the fold. I expect the Steelers to draft a WR with one of their top 3 picks.

Colon gone per twitter and frees up $5.5M in cap room ETA-looks like cap savings not realized until June
Ugh. That means they're carrying $4.3 million in dead money on to next year's cap. Also likely means they're going to re-sign Foote shortly and/or are planning to try to pay Keenan Lewis.

Colon gone per twitter and frees up $5.5M in cap room ETA-looks like cap savings not realized until June
Ugh. That means they're carrying $4.3 million in dead money on to next year's cap. Also likely means they're going to re-sign Foote shortly and/or are planning to try to pay Keenan Lewis.
Foote maybe. I don't think they have enough cap to even come close to inking Lewis without another contract restructure or two.

Foote maybe. I don't think they have enough cap to even come close to inking Lewis without another contract restructure or two.
They restructured Woodley this morning which freed up another $4M.

Per Adam Schefter's twitter account, Steelers have reached a multi-year deal with ILB Larry Foote
Not sure I like this. He didn't have a great year, and isn't exactly a youngster. Just shows how truly thin they are at LB.
If it's fairly cap-friendly, I do like it, actually. He had 113 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries last year and while he isn't a youngster, he is only 32, 3 years younger than Harrison. With Spence questionable to return this year (or ever) and Sylvester walking, they would have been perilously thin at ILB without signing Foote or someone else. At least Foote knows the system, knows the team, and is a good locker room guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should be roughly $8-9M or so under the cap right now if my quick math is correct and I haven't forgotten anything/anyone (and without knowing the details of Foote's contract.) Saving a few million for draft picks, one has to think they're making a late run at re-signing Lewis.

Per Adam Schefter's twitter account, Steelers have reached a multi-year deal with ILB Larry Foote
Not sure I like this. He didn't have a great year, and isn't exactly a youngster. Just shows how truly thin they are at LB.
If it's fairly cap-friendly, I do like it, actually. He had 113 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries last year and while he isn't a youngster, he is only 32, 3 years younger than Harrison. With Spence questionable to return this year (or ever) and Sylvester walking, they would have been perilously thin at ILB without signing Foote or someone else. At least Foote knows the system, knows the team, and is a good locker room guy.
The shmucks on 93.7 will slobber all over this signing.

yep these are my thoughts as well. I like the signing and am sure it is cap friendly. what do you guys think about Ben Watson? Seems like a guy they could bring in cheap as insurance for Miller and he still plays pretty well.

yep these are my thoughts as well. I like the signing and am sure it is cap friendly. what do you guys think about Ben Watson? Seems like a guy they could bring in cheap as insurance for Miller and he still plays pretty well.
I think they really need to bring in or draft another TE. I have no idea when Miller is going to be 100% again. Kiper mocked Tyler Eifert to the Steelers at #17 in his most recent column and the more I think about it, the more I wouldn't be upset if they went that route (unless a guy like Jarvis Jones, Ezekiel Ansah, or Barkevious Mingo is still on the board.)

:mellow:
My thoughts exactly
It is the multi-year thing that has me wondering but at least it settles the LILB spot for 2013. Foote is solid, if not flashy, and makes the defensive calls -- tough to replace that with a rookie.They were talking about bringing in Dan Connor who I thought would be fine for depth but is not starting material IMO.

I think they really need to bring in or draft another TE. I have no idea when Miller is going to be 100% again. Kiper mocked Tyler Eifert to the Steelers at #17 in his most recent column and the more I think about it, the more I wouldn't be upset if they went that route (unless a guy like Jarvis Jones, Ezekiel Ansah, or Barkevious Mingo is still on the board.)
Agreed. Pope or Paulson as your starting TE is not a comforting thought.

Unless I missed something...

Steelers were $3.4M under the cap prior to signing Foster. His deal takes up $1.4M in cap room, so that would put them $2M under. Woodley re-structure saved $4M and cutting Colon another $5.5M. So that would put them roughly $11.5M under the cap minus whatever Foote's cap charge is for this year.

Setting aside roughly $3M for signing draft picks, they could theoretically pay Lewis what he's likely to command on the open market, unless someone throws a ludicrous offer his way.

Unless I missed something...Steelers were $3.4M under the cap prior to signing Foster. His deal takes up $1.4M in cap room, so that would put them $2M under. Woodley re-structure saved $4M and cutting Colon another $5.5M. So that would put them roughly $11.5M under the cap minus whatever Foote's cap charge is for this year.Setting aside roughly $3M for signing draft picks, they could theoretically pay Lewis what he's likely to command on the open market, unless someone throws a ludicrous offer his way.
Which answers why they asked about Kruger, because he might have fallen into that range as well.

What kind of money is Cliff Avril asking for? I think he's a much better fit than Kruger if they were going to try to find a Harrison replacement.

I think Kruger is kind of a joke. Decent situational pass rusher, but only in cases where he can use his one move, which is to bolt out of his stance like a sprinter from the blocks and race around a slow-moving RT to get to the QB. He had 2.5 sacks in the home playoff game vs. Indy because the crowd was deafening and he could get off on the snap. Had 2 more vs. SF because the 49ers Center was tipping the snap count - same reason Ed Reed came flying off the edge on his blitz vs. the 2-point conversion try and blew it up.

He is very light and not very strong, so if an O Lineman gets his hands on him, his play is over. If he's on the road and there's no crowd noise bothering the O line, he gets no pass rush. How many sacks did he have in the first 6 games of the year? 1.5. Then what happened? Terrell Suggs came back and became the focus of the pass protection. When he was the main pass rusher, he did nothing.

Also terrible vs. the run. Always rushing upfield to leave gaping holes, and even when he does play his assignment is easily blocked due to limited size and strength.

The guy has started 6 games in his NFL career and suddenly he's getting $10M? He only played 22 snaps in the Super Bowl, in favor of Courtney Upshaw. Shows you how much the Ravens trusted him to set the edge vs. the read-option.

He is a decent situational pass rusher, good when he can use his speed rush, but is otherwise mediocre and will be deeply disappointing to whatever team pays him to be an every down disappointment. Especially at $10M per year.

What kind of money is Cliff Avril asking for? I think he's a much better fit than Kruger if they were going to try to find a Harrison replacement.
Can Avril play pass D, and make the switch from 4-3 end to 3-4 OLB?His size/speed ratio says he probably could.
Not sure how often he's been asked to drop into coverage, but he is a pretty solid run defender. 29 sacks over the last 3 seasons and is only 26 years old. I actually think he'd be better standing up than as a 4-3 end.No clue what he wants monetarily, though. However, if they reach a point where Lewis is history, he's the one free agent I'd want, more so than Bradshaw or anyone else that's been discussed. the lack of pass rush last year was, in my opinion, the single biggest reason they didn't make the playoffs (aside from the Roethlisberger injury, of course.)

I think Kruger is kind of a joke. Decent situational pass rusher, but only in cases where he can use his one move, which is to bolt out of his stance like a sprinter from the blocks and race around a slow-moving RT to get to the QB. He had 2.5 sacks in the home playoff game vs. Indy because the crowd was deafening and he could get off on the snap. Had 2 more vs. SF because the 49ers Center was tipping the snap count - same reason Ed Reed came flying off the edge on his blitz vs. the 2-point conversion try and blew it up.He is very light and not very strong, so if an O Lineman gets his hands on him, his play is over. If he's on the road and there's no crowd noise bothering the O line, he gets no pass rush. How many sacks did he have in the first 6 games of the year? 1.5. Then what happened? Terrell Suggs came back and became the focus of the pass protection. When he was the main pass rusher, he did nothing.Also terrible vs. the run. Always rushing upfield to leave gaping holes, and even when he does play his assignment is easily blocked due to limited size and strength.The guy has started 6 games in his NFL career and suddenly he's getting $10M? He only played 22 snaps in the Super Bowl, in favor of Courtney Upshaw. Shows you how much the Ravens trusted him to set the edge vs. the read-option.He is a decent situational pass rusher, good when he can use his speed rush, but is otherwise mediocre and will be deeply disappointing to whatever team pays him to be an every down disappointment. Especially at $10M per year.
Stop mincing words and tell us how you really feel about Kruger.

I think Kruger is kind of a joke. Decent situational pass rusher, but only in cases where he can use his one move, which is to bolt out of his stance like a sprinter from the blocks and race around a slow-moving RT to get to the QB. He had 2.5 sacks in the home playoff game vs. Indy because the crowd was deafening and he could get off on the snap. Had 2 more vs. SF because the 49ers Center was tipping the snap count - same reason Ed Reed came flying off the edge on his blitz vs. the 2-point conversion try and blew it up.He is very light and not very strong, so if an O Lineman gets his hands on him, his play is over. If he's on the road and there's no crowd noise bothering the O line, he gets no pass rush. How many sacks did he have in the first 6 games of the year? 1.5. Then what happened? Terrell Suggs came back and became the focus of the pass protection. When he was the main pass rusher, he did nothing.Also terrible vs. the run. Always rushing upfield to leave gaping holes, and even when he does play his assignment is easily blocked due to limited size and strength.The guy has started 6 games in his NFL career and suddenly he's getting $10M? He only played 22 snaps in the Super Bowl, in favor of Courtney Upshaw. Shows you how much the Ravens trusted him to set the edge vs. the read-option.He is a decent situational pass rusher, good when he can use his speed rush, but is otherwise mediocre and will be deeply disappointing to whatever team pays him to be an every down disappointment. Especially at $10M per year.
Just makes me laugh at Cleveland that getting him is their big move to kick off free agency. In my opinion, he is demonstrably not a difference-maker and yet they're going to give him huge money.Oh well, more wins for the Steelers and Ravens, right?

:lmao:

Just makes me laugh at Cleveland that getting him is their big move to kick off free agency. In my opinion, he is demonstrably not a difference-maker and yet they're going to give him huge money.
All 3 of the Ravens fans on this message board are pretty realistic about the team.Guys in the Cleveland thread are pleading for the Browns not to give $10-12M away to Kruger.

I think Kruger is kind of a joke. Decent situational pass rusher, but only in cases where he can use his one move, which is to bolt out of his stance like a sprinter from the blocks and race around a slow-moving RT to get to the QB. He had 2.5 sacks in the home playoff game vs. Indy because the crowd was deafening and he could get off on the snap. Had 2 more vs. SF because the 49ers Center was tipping the snap count - same reason Ed Reed came flying off the edge on his blitz vs. the 2-point conversion try and blew it up.

He is very light and not very strong, so if an O Lineman gets his hands on him, his play is over. If he's on the road and there's no crowd noise bothering the O line, he gets no pass rush. How many sacks did he have in the first 6 games of the year? 1.5. Then what happened? Terrell Suggs came back and became the focus of the pass protection. When he was the main pass rusher, he did nothing.

Also terrible vs. the run. Always rushing upfield to leave gaping holes, and even when he does play his assignment is easily blocked due to limited size and strength.

The guy has started 6 games in his NFL career and suddenly he's getting $10M? He only played 22 snaps in the Super Bowl, in favor of Courtney Upshaw. Shows you how much the Ravens trusted him to set the edge vs. the read-option.

He is a decent situational pass rusher, good when he can use his speed rush, but is otherwise mediocre and will be deeply disappointing to whatever team pays him to be an every down disappointment. Especially at $10M per year.
Just makes me laugh at Cleveland that getting him is their big move to kick off free agency. In my opinion, he is demonstrably not a difference-maker and yet they're going to give him huge money.Oh well, more wins for the Steelers and Ravens, right?
Well, it is the Browns we're talking about.

Miami Dolphins & WR Mike Wallace on verge of completing a 5-year contract
NFLN reporting Mike Wallace is actually IN Miami currently.
Maybe a little bit of sour grapes, but I have a feeling this ends badly. Wallace with a ton of money in Miami livin la vida loca, playing with a very questionable QB they're tied to for the next few years... a lot of ways this could end up being a really bad signing. They're going to give him upwards of $60M, I hope to hell Miami has enough sense to make the guaranteed money relatively small.

What about James Casey instead. Shouldn't cost a lot, can play FB also, and has produced when given the chance.

What about James Casey instead. Shouldn't cost a lot, can play FB also, and has produced when given the chance.
I like him, just not sure about the $$$

Maybe a little bit of sour grapes, but I have a feeling this ends badly. Wallace with a ton of money in Miami livin la vida loca, playing with a very questionable QB they're tied to for the next few years... a lot of ways this could end up being a really bad signing. They're going to give him upwards of $60M, I hope to hell Miami has enough sense to make the guaranteed money relatively small.
Agreed brother.Silver lining is that we are almost assured of a 3rd rd 2014 pick

First Twitter report I see is Wallace 5 years, about 12 a year on avergage and 30 mil g'teed. glll Dolphins!

Agreed brother.Silver lining is that we are almost assured of a 3rd rd 2014 pick
Early word is 5 yr 60 mil (30 mil guaranteed) :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

Early word is 5 yr 60 mil (30 mil guaranteed) :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:
5 yr /65M

5 yr /65M
oof

OMG, let me dream for a minute...

Sean Smith is just sitting there as a unrestricted free agent cornerback?

Eagles, 49ers, Bucs, Chiefs and Cards all have interest apparently.

Steelers just made their big first splash in free agency. They have signed TE/FB David Johnson. :thumbdown: I don't know what Colbert is thinking on signing these retreads.

The writing was on the wall after the Foster signing. Someone will sign Colon to a nice cap-friendly deal and get an excellent guard for as long as he can stay healthy.
Is Colon bringing Andy Levitre with him if a team signs him?

'BigSteelThrill said:
OMG, let me dream for a minute...Sean Smith is just sitting there as a unrestricted free agent cornerback?Eagles, 49ers, Bucs, Chiefs and Cards all have interest apparently.
There are A LOT of FA CBs this offseason, and plenty of studs too like DRC, Talib, Asumugha, etc. I think we can have Keenan at a reasonable price, but Sean Smith has always looked pretty good to me as well.

And Im still firmly in favor of giving Bradshaw a serious offer. He is easily the best RB in this FA class IMO besides SJax, who doesnt make sense for us anyway. Here's to hoping!

Users who are viewing this thread