What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Pittsburgh Steelers Off & ON Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

'Irish33 said:
Steelers just made their big first splash in free agency. They have signed TE/FB David Johnson. :thumbdown: I don't know what Colbert is thinking on signing these retreads.
Meh. Signed to league minimum and there is nothing is guaranteed. He can be released any time up to the start of the season without penalty. Where is the down side?

'Irish33 said:
Steelers just made their big first splash in free agency. They have signed TE/FB David Johnson. :thumbdown: I don't know what Colbert is thinking on signing these retreads.
Meh. Signed to league minimum and there is nothing is guaranteed. He can be released any time up to the start of the season without penalty. Where is the down side?
:goodposting: With injuries to the TE position, having someone who is paid the minimum to play TE2/FB and already knows the Steelers O-system is a ok signing with me.

Would like to see them kick the tires on Bradshaw as well, particularly since a)his name has seemingly drawn crickets thus far in FA, and b)they're talking to Beanie freaking Wells. Yeah, THAT Beanie Wells.

Didn't totally realize just how many CBs were UFAs until yesterday. Perhaps the market for Lewis will be softer than I thought.

Would like to see them kick the tires on Bradshaw as well, particularly since a)his name has seemingly drawn crickets thus far in FA, and b)they're talking to Beanie freaking Wells. Yeah, THAT Beanie Wells.Didn't totally realize just how many CBs were UFAs until yesterday. Perhaps the market for Lewis will be softer than I thought.
I dont think people understand how prolifically bad that Arizona offense line was last year. It was EASILY the very worst line in the NFL the past few years. EASILY.I think in the right offense (with simply an AVERAGE offensive line), Beanie Wells could be quite serviceable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would like to see them kick the tires on Bradshaw as well, particularly since a)his name has seemingly drawn crickets thus far in FA, and b)they're talking to Beanie freaking Wells. Yeah, THAT Beanie Wells.Didn't totally realize just how many CBs were UFAs until yesterday. Perhaps the market for Lewis will be softer than I thought.
I dont think people understand how prolifically bad that Arizona offense line was last year. It was EASILY the very worst line in the NFL the past few years. EASILY.I think in the right offense (with simply an AVERAGE offensive line), Beanie Wells could be quite serviceable.
I agree although his durability is also a concern. Then again, that is a concern with Bradshaw as well. I wouldn't mind either of these guys in a Steelers uniform if they come cheap.

Not only that, they had no semblance of a passing game to keep opposing defenses honest. Even Larry Fitzgerald's stats were awful last year on that team, and he's one of the best receivers in football.

Not only that, they had no semblance of a passing game to keep opposing defenses honest. Even Larry Fitzgerald's stats were awful last year on that team, and he's one of the best receivers in football.
This is true, they (AZ) had 4 different quarterbacks start atleast 1 game last year (Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, Brian Hoyer)(PIT had 3, but still)

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but there are reports ex-CIN, Seton-Lasalle HS, QB Bruce Gradkowski will be in for a visit to the Steelers soon

Let me say that a logical replacement to the "one-trick-pony" that was Mike Wallce (according to Tomlin at one time) was released by Oakland yesterday. Darrius Heyward-Bey. If the price is right, I wouldnt mind the Steelers kicking the tires on the former speedster from Maryland.

Let me say that a logical replacement to the "one-trick-pony" that was Mike Wallce (according to Tomlin at one time) was released by Oakland yesterday. Darrius Heyward-Bey. If the price is right, I wouldnt mind the Steelers kicking the tires on the former speedster from Maryland.
Agreed. Steelers need to re-introduce that deep threat to their offense - with a real QB throwing to him, I expect DHB could put up numbers that were a reasonable facsimile of what Wallace gave them last year, at about 1/10th of the cost.It's funny you mention this - in the shower this morning, I was wondering to myself what DHB's situation was. Super-fast, lousy hands, he's like Wallace II.By the way, if anyone decides to sig the phrase "In the shower this morning, I was wondering to myself what DHB's situation was" - I will find you and kill you. :lol:

For anyone in the "Beanie sucks" and "DHB sucks" crowds, a note... I don't necessarily disagree, but what I'm doing is trying to find low-cost stop-gaps at certain positions so that they can continue to focus on drafting players that don't need to start immediately. Caulking a few cracks is necessary this year because they have way more holes than usual at this time of year.

For anyone in the "Beanie sucks" and "DHB sucks" crowds, a note... I don't necessarily disagree, but what I'm doing is trying to find low-cost stop-gaps at certain positions so that they can continue to focus on drafting players that don't need to start immediately. Caulking a few cracks is necessary this year because they have way more holes than usual at this time of year.
Agreed in full EG!

HeyBey is more of a possession type though. Has never seemed to play as fast as that forty he once ran to me.

As to Wells...I don't care what the OL was like in '12. I'm looking at his body of work. He's injury prone, plodding, and pretty much runs to contact only. One could argue they already have that in Dwyer/Redman, but even Dough Boy delivers hits when he runs and Ike certainly can't be accused of going down on first contact.

Bradshaw may be equally injury prone, but there is no comparison in my mind between he and Wells as football players. Bradshaw can do pretty much everything. Wells can run to contact and fall down. I'd rather have Bradshaw even if I had to pay more.

Both of these players are upgrades over what is currently on the roster, so as long as they get short/cheap contracts, nobody should really complain too much (but they will).

Oh, I get that and can agree...I just don't necessarily think Wells is going to caulk the seam. He just isn't very good. He'd need to come extreeeemly cheap, were I in charge.HeyBey wouldn't be a bad get, but I don't think he'd be a replacement as a deep ball player for Wallace. I still think that's going to be Manny Sanders, unless they draft a deep threat. DHB could still be a quality #3 regardless.

Agreed. Steelers need to re-introduce that deep threat to their offense - with a real QB throwing to him, I expect DHB could put up numbers that were a reasonable facsimile of what Wallace gave them last year, at about 1/10th of the cost.It's funny you mention this - in the shower this morning, I was wondering to myself what DHB's situation was. Super-fast, lousy hands, he's like Wallace II.By the way, if anyone decides to sig the phrase "In the shower this morning, I was wondering to myself what DHB's situation was" - I will find you and kill you. :lol:
:whistle:

Both of these players are upgrades over what is currently on the roster, so as long as they get short/cheap contracts, nobody should really complain too much (but they will).
That's the other thing, I only want these guys if they come for around $1M per and no more. Anything beyond that and they can go scratch.

Oh, I get that and can agree...I just don't necessarily think Wells is going to caulk the seam. He just isn't very good. He'd need to come extreeeemly cheap, were I in charge.HeyBey wouldn't be a bad get, but I don't think he'd be a replacement as a deep ball player for Wallace. I still think that's going to be Manny Sanders, unless they draft a deep threat.
It's looking more and more like if they want Hopkins or Hunter in the draft, they're going to need to spend a 2nd rounder, and even then, both guys may be long gone. I don't know if I'm seeing a great fit w/o spending a first-rounder. You think maybe they draft a guy like Goodwin in the 3rd or 4th and play him out of the slot to "take the top off the defense" (God, I'm tired of that phrase) and play Sanders and Brown at the X/Y spots with Cotchery and Burress as the 4th/5th receivers?

:whistle:
:lmao: :shinesuptheshotgun:

While it’s nice to have the deep threat ala Wallace, many teams do not have that and have been fine in the past. Even won the SB without one. I think Steeler fans have become spoiled by Wallace in a sense. Their offense under Haley doesn’t support that kind of guy now. Not as much in years past, anyways.

Because I was a McFadden owner last year (guess who didn't make the playoffs?) I saw a lot of Raiders' games. DHB actually looked like a competent football player most of the time. Who knows? Get him away from Palmer and that cesspool of an organization and maybe we could have an inexpensive late bloomer.

He had 40 less targets than Wallace and basically had the same catch percentage last year. Most importantly, we learned he's durable enough to take a Mundy brand sledgehammer to the head and survive. I'd take him on the cheap.

I would rather re-up Lewis and roll with what we've got at RB/WR/TE/QB than let him walk and land DHB/Beanie/Gradkowski types. I'm sure I am not alone in this sentiment...just saying I don't want to see the team spending any money until the CB market is set and they've made every possible effort to retain Lewis.

I agree with Cope, Wallace's loss is definitely going to be felt, but in Haley's offense I think Miller's health will be the more impactful of the two issues.

While it’s nice to have the deep threat ala Wallace, many teams do not have that and have been fine in the past. Even won the SB without one. I think Steeler fans have become spoiled by Wallace in a sense. Their offense under Haley doesn’t support that kind of guy now. Not as much in years past, anyways.
Very good points. I'd love to have one guy with elite vertical speed though, forcing defenses to shade that free safety over to help in coverage opens things up underneath as well as creating more space to run the ball.

I would rather re-up Lewis and roll with what we've got at RB/WR/TE/QB than let him walk and land DHB/Beanie/Gradkowski types. I'm sure I am not alone in this sentiment...just saying I don't want to see the team spending any money until the CB market is set and they've made every possible effort to retain Lewis.I agree with Cope, Wallace's loss is definitely going to be felt, but in Haley's offense I think Miller's health will be the more impactful of the two issues.
I'm definitely not advocating signing those guys in lieu of Lewis. These suggestions are only germane if they can be achieved while ALSO signing Lewis, or if Lewis walks after a big offer from another team. Just contemplating the ifs, as Marcellus Wallace once said.

The Steelers are older and losing guys without replacing them adequately. I think we are in for a long season, especially if we don't take some chances here in free agency.

Steelers sign Bruce Gradkowski. 3 year deal per Shefty.
Gradkowski is definitelu an upgrade over Charlie but I would have rather seen them at least try to sign a veteran RB or CB.
Guessing that Leftwich is finished in PGH and Batch retires (or did he already retire and I missed it?) Gradkowski is a decent #2, and my guess is they use a late round pick or UDFA signing to pick up a developmental #3.

Gradkowski is definitelu an upgrade over Charlie but I would have rather seen them at least try to sign a veteran RB or CB.
Guessing that Leftwich is finished in PGH and Batch retires (or did he already retire and I missed it?) Gradkowski is a decent #2, and my guess is they use a late round pick or UDFA signing to pick up a developmental #3.
I heard Batch around Super Bowl time saying he's coming back. I can't see it though. And Gradkowski fills their requirement for a local kid as a backup QB.Hoping they draft someone in round 6 or so and then take everyone to camp and see how it all shakes out.

I just looked at Gradkowski's career numbers and dear God is he inaccurate. Didn't realize it was that bad. Awful TD/INT ratio too.

I always have thought of him as a guy players like to play with - an energy guy, which isn't a bad thing to be as a backup. If your starter goes down, you need a guy that can rally the troops. He's got to be better than 52% completion rate, though.

The Steelers are older and losing guys without replacing them adequately. I think we are in for a long season, especially if we don't take some chances here in free agency.
Actually the Steelers are getting younger.
Technically, yes, the average age will be lower. Signing a guy like Foote for 3 years isn't making the team younger though. Plex takes Wallace's spot. Gay takes Keenan Lewis possibly. Troy, Ike, Ben, Clark are getting older and are running out of prime years while we replace starters (or don't). I'm all for the Steeler way of reloading from within and letting vets walk when the time comes. Mike Wallace is not worth the cap number Miami put on him at all. I just think recent drafts and the handling of the cap has been poor, so the Steeler way isn't going to work right now. I felt this way since the SB loss; that there were going to be quite a few lean years ahead. Hopefully I am wrong and we don't see Ben's years wasted.

I heard Batch around Super Bowl time saying he's coming back. I can't see it though. And Gradkowski fills their requirement for a local kid as a backup QB.Hoping they draft someone in round 6 or so and then take everyone to camp and see how it all shakes out.
He also fills the requirement of MAC school QBs only too. Miami OH, Marshall, toldeo, Eastern Mich, wtf?

He also fills the requirement of MAC school QBs only too. Miami OH, Marshall, toldeo, Eastern Mich, wtf?
Only cements the fact Steelers will draft Miami (OH) QB Zac Dysert in the 4-6 rd as the developmental QB

Actually the Steelers are getting younger.
Technically, yes, the average age will be lower. Signing a guy like Foote for 3 years isn't making the team younger though. Plex takes Wallace's spot. Gay takes Keenan Lewis possibly. Troy, Ike, Ben, Clark are getting older and are running out of prime years while we replace starters (or don't).
Foote is a stop gap because Spence is injured and may never come back and it is unrealistic to expect a rookie to start at Mack in the Steelers defense. Foote played very well last year and is 32, which is not ancient for a ILB in the NFL.Plex is not taking Wallace's spot. The Steelers will likely be drafting a WR this year for that.Cortez Allen is most likely the starting CB opposite Ike. Gay was brought in for the 3rd CB spot.Jason Worilds or Chris Carter will replace 35-year old James Harrison so they'll be younger there as well.

ex-PIT RB Rashard Mendenhall agrees to 1 yr deal with Arizona Cardinals

Plex is not taking Wallace's spot. The Steelers will likely be drafting a WR this year for that.
Isn't that likely to be Emmanuel Sanders spot, at least for a year?
I guess that depends on who they draft. Wallace was the split-end so I assume that Brown will take that role and Sanders will line up at flanker though I guess it could be the other way around. However if the Steelers use a high draft pick on a speedster WR I would assume he would line up at split-end at some point.Of course this assumes that someone doesn't make Sanders an offer the Steelers cannot or will not match.

CB Keenan Lewis is visiting the New Orleans Saints today
poop. But I guess it is a foregone conclusion he won't be back so I would rather not see him go to a divisional opponent.
If the Steelers haven't already re-signed him then either they're waiting to let the market dictate what he's worth and hoping his agent gives them a chance to match or they've already moved on. I thought for sure that giving Colon a post-June 1st designation and eating 4.3M in dead money against the cap this year meant they were freeing up money to make a run at Lewis, but if he signs elsewhere, they'll be sitting around with roughly $7.5M in cap space (minus whatever Gradkowski got) after signing their draft picks. Can't use that much space to sign guys right now, though - they probably have $4M or so they can use right now, then sign their draft picks after June 1st (at least the high-rounders) and have $2-3M more at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread