What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Pre-Draft Bloom 100 (1 Viewer)

Happy to answer any questions...

A few notes:

- 1-11 is as level as it has been since I've been doing this. Destination will re-shuffle the order. Bernard/Franklin/Lacy are basically 1a/1b/1c at RB

- The talents from 12-16 are first-round rookie draft level talents. 2.1-2.4 are basically late firsts this year.

- There is a pretty steep dropoff in the talent that will come somewhere in the third round of offense-only drafts

- the talents in 51-100 range are way better than a typical year. Usually I am down to UDFA/practice squad types on offense in the 80s and beyond, but this year most of those guys are players who will be solid contributors in the NFL

- the IDP talents are pass rusher heavy, so therefore not a strong class at all. If you're looking for IDP help in your rookie draft this year, you might be better off trading picks for current established IDPs.

- 2014 will be bring the elite talents that 2013 is lacking. If you can weasel future firsts out of your trade partner in trade downs, go for it. something like 1.3 for 1.9 and future 1st is outstanding.

pyite76 said:
SHHHH on D. Hopkins! I was hoping he'd fall to me at #10!
as a near lock for the first round, I don't think he was going to fall that far in any event. If the Colts or Patriots take him, he could end up at #1 in the post-draft 100

Thanks for the read, Bloom.

"Tavon Austin WR - Some doubt his 175 lb frame’s ability to hold up, but I don’t buy it."

Can I ask why you don't have concerns? Especially if you think he is an 80-100 catch guy, I think his size is far from ideal.

"Tavon Austin WR - Some doubt his 175 lb frame’s ability to hold up, but I don’t buy it."

Can I ask why you don't have concerns? Especially if you think he is an 80-100 catch guy, I think his size is far from ideal.
because he never missed a game at WVU, I believe did not miss a practice.

I didn't know that (practice) - thanks.

One more, if you don't mind:

Of your tier 2/3 WRs, who has the best shot to be a fantasy WR1, for those swinging for the fences?

Thanks.

One more, if you don't mind:

Of your tier 2/3 WRs, who has the best shot to be a fantasy WR1, for those swinging for the fences?

Thanks.
Hunter/Harrison/Rogers via talent

Woods/Bailey via situation

This is true, never missed a practice.

Lack of comments in this thread the Chachinator thinks is due to a truly unexceptional class.
It also could be because there are at least five other draft prospect threads with ongoing discussion as well. It kind of all overlaps, as interesting as these rankings are.

"Like Te’o, Ertz will be drafted as a projected starter early in his career, but I don’t see a high level pro producer when I watch his film."

Can you elaborate on your thoughts on TE Ertz Stanford? The low ranking surprised me. Good college stats, probably early 2nd round NFL pick, several teams with big need at TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think 4 RBs in the top tier is optimistic, but its a great read. Franklin seems the most out of place to me. I think he is a Darren Sproles type at best in the NFL and that requires an ideal landing spot IMO.

Also, I disagree on the view of the IDP class. I think it's a great IDP class. Deep at LB and DE, key positions for IDP.

Also, I disagree on the view of the IDP class. I think it's a great IDP class. Deep at LB and DE, key positions for IDP.
It's deep at LB....but not interior impact types. It's hella deep at rush types. In non-big plays leagues that might not really be of much help.

"Like Te’o, Ertz will be drafted as a projected starter early in his career, but I don’t see a high level pro producer when I watch his film."Can you elaborate on your thoughts on TE Ertz Stanford? The low ranking surprised me. Good college stats, probably early 2nd round NFL pick, several teams with big need at TE.
Just looks like an average guy in every way to me. In the right offense, could catch maybe 60-70 balls, but looks like a Celek type at best.

I think 4 RBs in the top tier is optimistic, but its a great read. Franklin seems the most out of place to me. I think he is a Darren Sproles type at best in the NFL and that requires an ideal landing spot IMO.Also, I disagree on the view of the IDP class. I think it's a great IDP class. Deep at LB and DE, key positions for IDP.
Franklin measured in at 5'10" 205 at the Combine - Sproles 5'6" 187. Also, Sproles is a strong RB2 in PPR leagues. Not a bad at best.

I think it's a deep IDP class, and could definitely yield some excellent DEs, but I don't love the LBs. I know a few will land in good spots and put up numbers, maybe right away, and I'm sure the post-draft rankings will reflect that.

If you're at 1.08/9/10, back end of the first and you need a RB, do you trade back or forward?
Depending on where Ellington/Michael land, I would either sit back and hope for lattimore or franklin, or trade up once 2 of lacy, bernard and franklin were gone.

Why no Margus Hunt?
projects as a 3-4 DE and has a bust risk. I don't like holding onto developmental DEs unless they have a high ceiling. Hunt does athletically, but it might be a while until we see how close he'll get to it. If he lands somewhere like SF, that may get him in the post draft 100

Did you evaluate Latavius Murray? Seems like a better version of Starks (tall big RB with some speed, but without Starks' injury concerns).

Did you evaluate Latavius Murray? Seems like a better version of Starks (tall big RB with some speed, but without Starks' injury concerns).
see him going down on first contact a lot (like Starks), not that fluid or flexible... will definitely monitor where he lands tho, could jump in post-draft with good spot and getting drafted

I kinda of surprised that Denard Robinson did not make the cut. I know that QB to WR experiments often fail but I love Robinson's attitude. I think he could be an exception to the rule.

BTW: I have read that the nerve damage might not be an issue in the near future.

I kinda of surprised that Denard Robinson did not make the cut. I know that QB to WR experiments often fail but I love Robinson's attitude. I think he could be an exception to the rule.

BTW: I have read that the nerve damage might not be an issue in the near future.
I'm waiting to see where he's drafted as an indicator of the nerve issue and how teams regard him. Senior Bowl was a disaster at WR, and I'm not sure how he projects as RB. CB might be in his future

Franklin is a below average talent compared to your typical NFL starter. He has above average speed, but that's offset by his lack of size and power. He's a little bit smaller than the average back and doesn't run with a great deal of power. Sproles has a higher BMI and is a vastly superior talent with some of the best quickness and elusiveness of any pro back. Franklin doesn't have consistently great vision and agility like that. His highlight reels and game clips are totally meh. I think his range of NFL outcomes will be somewhere between Tatum Bell and Julius Jones, probably slanted more towards Bell. He'll be a reach in the NFL draft and in rookie drafts. With so many quality receivers in this pool, let somebody else take him off the board.

Of the Pac-12 running backs, I think Stepfan Taylor has a more prototypical skill set. No speed whatsoever, but much more powerful than Franklin with superior phone booth quickness and make-you-miss ability. He'll be the better value in the 3rd-4th round than Franklin in the 2nd.

Franklin is a below average talent compared to your typical NFL starter. He has above average speed, but that's offset by his lack of size and power. He's a little bit smaller than the average back and doesn't run with a great deal of power. Sproles has a higher BMI and is a vastly superior talent with some of the best quickness and elusiveness of any pro back. Franklin doesn't have consistently great vision and agility like that. His highlight reels and game clips are totally meh. I think his range of NFL outcomes will be somewhere between Tatum Bell and Julius Jones, probably slanted more towards Bell. He'll be a reach in the NFL draft and in rookie drafts. With so many quality receivers in this pool, let somebody else take him off the board. Of the Pac-12 running backs, I think Stepfan Taylor has a more prototypical skill set. No speed whatsoever, but much more powerful than Franklin with superior phone booth quickness and make-you-miss ability. He'll be the better value in the 3rd-4th round than Franklin in the 2nd.
Taylor is a fantastic runner between the tackles, superior to Franklin for sure. Franklin, however, is a more versatile and dangerous RB. His combination of speed and quickness makes him a big play threat no matter whether he is running between the tackles, running outside, or in the receiving game. You're also not giving Franklin much credit for his ability to generate tough yards. He's not going to knock a defender backward like Earl Campbell, but he does a good job of falling forward for those extra two or three yards when wrapped up. I think both Franklin and Taylor will be good pros, but Franklin has qualities that give him potential that Taylor just doesn't have. I am having difficulty understanding how you consider him a below average talent.

I'm waiting to see where he's drafted as an indicator of the nerve issue and how teams regard him. Senior Bowl was a disaster at WR, and I'm not sure how he projects as RB. CB might be in his future
COP back, with Wildcat/Read Option packages, and return man is the way to go with him IMO. He'll probably have to improve his upper body strength, but every thing else you would want is there.

Nero said:
Sigmund Bloom said:
Donnybrook said:

COP back, with Wildcat/Read Option packages, and return man is the way to go with him IMO. He'll probably have to improve his upper body strength, but every thing else you would want is there.
I would agree that that is a best case scenario for him on offense - so what is that going to be worth for fantasy? Not much I'm afraid

Bloom if you had the 1.1 and 1.2 picks in this draft, would you be content staying put and grabbing your first 2 choices or would you still make an effort to trade down? In this same league I have the 1.1 and 1.2, I also have the 1.9 and 1.12.

Bloom if you had the 1.1 and 1.2 picks in this draft, would you be content staying put and grabbing your first 2 choices or would you still make an effort to trade down? In this same league I have the 1.1 and 1.2, I also have the 1.9 and 1.12.
I would be looking to trade down, or alternatively flip the picks for vet commodities - of course depending on what you can get and scoring, team needs, etc

I would be looking to trade down, or alternatively flip the picks for vet commodities - of course depending on what you can get and scoring, team needs, etc
Would you wait until after the NFL draft? It seems like there would be a better market at that point right?

Right now with so much uncertainty, I am not finding much interest in the top picks. But I think after the NFL draft there is a solid chance some players will fall in good spots thus peaking the value. That's my hope at least.

Would you wait until after the NFL draft? It seems like there would be a better market at that point right?
Unless a lot of the top names end up in bad spots, these picks are always worth the most when they are on the clock.

Right now with so much uncertainty, I am not finding much interest in the top picks. But I think after the NFL draft there is a solid chance some players will fall in good spots thus peaking the value. That's my hope at least.
It does seem like it got out there pretty early that this isn't a year to trade in the NFL or fantasy rookie drafts

Unless a lot of the top names end up in bad spots, these picks are always worth the most when they are on the clock.
Works for me. Thanks.

EBF said:
Franklin is a below average talent compared to your typical NFL starter. He has above average speed, but that's offset by his lack of size and power. He's a little bit smaller than the average back and doesn't run with a great deal of power. Sproles has a higher BMI and is a vastly superior talent with some of the best quickness and elusiveness of any pro back. Franklin doesn't have consistently great vision and agility like that. His highlight reels and game clips are totally meh. I think his range of NFL outcomes will be somewhere between Tatum Bell and Julius Jones, probably slanted more towards Bell. He'll be a reach in the NFL draft and in rookie drafts. With so many quality receivers in this pool, let somebody else take him off the board. Of the Pac-12 running backs, I think Stepfan Taylor has a more prototypical skill set. No speed whatsoever, but much more powerful than Franklin with superior phone booth quickness and make-you-miss ability. He'll be the better value in the 3rd-4th round than Franklin in the 2nd.
Franklin might be average or even slightly below average in terms of power when you compare to other NFL starting backs, but for a runner his size, he generates a lot of leg drive and picks up a lot of yards after contact. Like Ahmad Bradshaw at his best. Sproles has Franklin in quicks and elusiveness, but he just can't run inside, while Franklin can. Franklin runs with great urgency and wastes no time or energy in the backfield. He puts a ton of pressure on the defense from the momentum the ball is in his hands. This will be a a good one to revisit in a few years

Users who are viewing this thread