What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****2014 US Open**** Rory the Favorite (1 Viewer)

Kaymer with some bad iron swings. With his recent history of lacking confidence and screwing with his swing, this could get ugly for him over the weekend. :popcorn:

Oh, and his problem is he's dropping to the inside on the transition to the downswing. He's a bit across the line at the top as well. He's gonna start cranking his right hand around to shut the face and hit a draw instead of a block.
Kaymer with a crazy early round. 2 bogies, eagle, then putts it off the green and registers another bogey.

I miss the rough. Kaymer making eagle from the native stuff shouldn't happen. That drive is supposed to be punished in the US Open.

I miss the rough. Kaymer making eagle from the native stuff shouldn't happen. That drive is supposed to be punished in the US Open.
I'm sorry, but don't you find it the least but interesting that it's not the same exact track and score as every other US Open? I think it's really fun to watch. But I suspect that they'll let the native grow in more for the next time around.

I'm sorry, but don't you find it the least but interesting that it's not the same exact track and score as every other US Open? I think it's really fun to watch. But I suspect that they'll let the native grow in more for the next time around.
Yeah, no ####. This is a fantastic restoration to a great course. It's refreshing to see something besides the typical unplayable jungle lining 14 yard fairways.

They're all playing the same course. The objective is to identify the best golfer. Mission accomplished.

Yeah, no ####. This is a fantastic restoration to a great course. It's refreshing to see something besides the typical unplayable jungle lining 14 yard fairways.

They're all playing the same course. The objective is to identify the best golfer. Mission accomplished.
:goodposting:

It seems I'm in the minority. Maybe "missing the rough" isn't accurate. I like the new look. I'm just more of a "bad shots should be punished" guy. I prefer the teeth of a course to be more on errant shots than on rock hard domed greens where good approaches can wind up lousy. If he pulled a Mickelson/Masters recovery shot I'm ok with that but it didn't appear to affect the approach at all. That's my only real beef. And I realize I'm singling out one shot where there were certainly plenty of instances where the native stuff was penal. Kaymer has definitely played the best golf this week so I don't mean to suggest he shouldn't be squarely in the lead. Just selfishly wish it wasn't 5 shots headed into Sunday.

I like that the USGA isn't afraid to think outside the box. Next year they'll play the US Open at a course that opened 7 years ago and contains one (1) tree.

It seems I'm in the minority. Maybe "missing the rough" isn't accurate. I like the new look. I'm just more of a "bad shots should be punished" guy. I prefer the teeth of a course to be more on errant shots than on rock hard domed greens where good approaches can wind up lousy. If he pulled a Mickelson/Masters recovery shot I'm ok with that but it didn't appear to affect the approach at all. That's my only real beef. And I realize I'm singling out one shot where there were certainly plenty of instances where the native stuff was penal. Kaymer has definitely played the best golf this week so I don't mean to suggest he shouldn't be squarely in the lead. Just selfishly wish it wasn't 5 shots headed into Sunday.
I get this take too. I sort of agree about the greens being pretty capricious. The reason I'm a fan of the waste area and sandy fairway edges is that it lends local character. That's the NC fauna and soil. Usually the Masters and British are unique from a course design standpoint (meaning you can tell where they are from any picture of the course). Many times the US Open course could be in Minnesota or Oklahoma or New York. Marion, Whistling Straights and Pinehurst are really unique and I'm glad the USGA has put courses like these in the rotation.

I like that the USGA isn't afraid to think outside the box. Next year they'll play the US Open at a course that opened 7 years ago and contains one (1) tree.
I'll be there working as a volunteer at Chambers Bay. Have four years experience as a walking scorer. Hopeful I'll get to walk and score with a solid group each day. Super excited to watch the demeanor of guys up close we see on TV during an entire round.

EDIT: To add it has only a single tree because its a links course. Its right on the water in Tacoma.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a once in a lifetime shot. Dang you guys are whiners.
Once in a lifetime? Come on. It was an awesome shot, but it was an unimpeded 7 iron. It's the unimpeded part I'm whining about. Tug your drive in the US Open and you must suffer the consequences!

Organizers and the networks are probably ready to stick a sharpened swizzle stick in their eyes:

trans.gif
Martin Kaymer
-5 -5 +2 – -8 18
T2
trans.gif
Erik Compton
+2 -2 -3 – -3 18
T2
trans.gif
Rickie Fowler
E E -3 – -3 18
T4
trans.gif
Henrik Stenson
-1 -1 E – -2 18
T4
trans.gif
Dustin Johnson
-1 -1 E – -2 18
trans.gif
Brandt Snedeker
+2

T7
trans.gif
Matt Kuchar
E
+1

E

T7
trans.gif
Kevin Na
+3

E

T7
trans.gif
Brooks Koepka
E
+2

E

T10
trans.gif
Justin Rose
+2
E

+1
Will be interesting to see the ratings with this snoozefest of a leaderboard and a runaway leader.

Once in a lifetime? Come on. It was an awesome shot, but it was an unimpeded 7 iron. It's the unimpeded part I'm whining about. Tug your drive in the US Open and you must suffer the consequences!
Unless you hit a 10 foot diameter circle on the center of the green, your ball is rolling 30ft off. Those are the consequences.

Tug your drive in the US Open and you must suffer the consequences!
They have suffered the consequences. There are only 6 out of 156 players under par. You're focussing on a single shot that the the TV network chooses to air. There were plenty more shots that they didn't show you where a player had a much tougher time. You're being a whiner.

Pretty compelling storylines in my opinion today if Kaymer fades a bit. You have two guys in second that have great stories. Fowler with his nod to Payne Stewart and then a story that seems unrealistic for even a movie with Compton. Compton qualified by winning a 5 person playoff in the sectionals and is on his third heart. Perhaps people don't know the story but I would think it will make for an incredible day if he gets close to Kaymer.

Pretty compelling storylines in my opinion today if Kaymer fades a bit. You have two guys in second that have great stories. Fowler with his nod to Payne Stewart and then a story that seems unrealistic for even a movie with Compton. Compton qualified by winning a 5 person playoff in the sectionals and is on his third heart. Perhaps people don't know the story but I would think it will make for an incredible day if he gets close to Kaymer.
Unfortunately people know Compton's story. He's even sick of it. And if he makes a charge, you'll hear it 500 times this afternoon.

Unfortunately people know Compton's story. He's even sick of it. And if he makes a charge, you'll hear it 500 times this afternoon.
You're a little tone def here, Mr. R. Not everyone in America watches ESPN and TGC religiously.

You're a little tone def here, Mr. R. Not everyone in America watches ESPN and TGC religiously.
Ask Compton himself. He wants to be know as a great golfer. He's gracious about it but I don't think if he wins he will appreciate being the double heart transplant guy who happened to win a major. You are right that most of the general public don't know his story.

I want a close tournament as much as anyone but Kaymer showed some stones to scratch out a 72.

The eagle from the native was huge but I thought saving bogey on 4 or whatever was just world class.

Tug your drive in the US Open and you must suffer the consequences!
They have suffered the consequences. There are only 6 out of 156 players under par. You're focussing on a single shot that the the TV network chooses to air. There were plenty more shots that they didn't show you where a player had a much tougher time. You're being a whiner.
Relax. Pretty sure I just called myself a whiner and conceded this exact thing earlier that I was focusing on one shot. And I also said that I like the teeth to be elsewhere rather than having to hit 6' circles on the green. That seems more unrealistic/flukish then having to hit fairways. It's a matter of preference. You've got yours and I've got mine. That's cool.

These native areas are kind of like one of those paintings where a guy just throws paint all over a canvas the same as what a 4 year old could do and someone proclaims it's worth millions.

Let's just call a spade a spade. Pinehurst #2 is a formerly awesome course that's now surrounded by weeds and a lot of people think it's now better somehow.

These native areas are kind of like one of those paintings where a guy just throws paint all over a canvas the same as what a 4 year old could do and someone proclaims it's worth millions.

Let's just call a spade a spade. Pinehurst #2 is a formerly awesome course that's now surrounded by weeds and a lot of people think it's now better somehow.
:fishing:

We're talking about kenny perry's 4 hybrid from 220 yds for an eagle. He said he had never made a shot from that far in his life.

With these greens and only 6 players out of the 156 that started under par after 3 rounds, the lack of 6inch rough is irrelevant. Most of you couldnt break 100 on it and would 4 putt every hole

A 220 yard hole out off the fairway with a hybrid should never occur in a US Open.
Did you all ##### and moan when Tiger hit it to 10 ft from 210 out of rough uphill at Pebble?
No. He probably got an extremely lucky lie. At least that course had rough.
And I know it was The Masters, but what about Bubba out of the trees from the pine straw hooking it to within 12 feet? Anyone can make that shot.

We're talking about kenny perry's 4 hybrid from 220 yds for an eagle. He said he had never made a shot from that far in his life.With these greens and only 6 players out of the 156 that started under par after 3 rounds, the lack of 6inch rough is irrelevant. Most of you couldnt break 100 on it and would 4 putt every hole
I wish they still had that thing where an amateur would try to break 100 on the same setup. I enjoyed watching that.

This is way more entertaining than watching them chip out of the rough. This course's defense mechanism is it's greens. 4 inch rough isn't needed.

The course is plenty challenging, there are only 6 players over par, I hope that's not even a debate point.

It's ugly as hell on television though. In this day and age, where we all have our high def tvs, an aesthetically pleasing course is important. It looks like Pinehurst #2 is a relic at this point and I hope we never see another US Open on this course.

This is how the course was designed to be played when it was first built. And tiger was in the deepest rough on the golf course in 2000, hitting from about the lowest point on the course to the highest. That was the best shot hit in the best display of golf in history. If anything, it was an unlucky lie.

:fishing:
No kidding, which aliai is this ### clown?

Kaymer putts it off the green again. He keeps putting from 30ft off the green.

I miss tiger.

Can't even muster the energy to turn this on and I've been to three of the past 10 us opens in person.

Users who are viewing this thread