What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****2014 US Open**** Rory the Favorite (1 Viewer)

The domination made this Open less interesting for me. Nobody had a chance... Like to see some competition and Kaymer just wasn't having it.

Has the merits of the "reconstructed" #2 been discussed? To me, it looked like some muni that had been let go to seed. I'm a big golf fan and between the course and Kaymer's domination, I had little interest in watching the coverage yesterday.

Has the merits of the "reconstructed" #2 been discussed? To me, it looked like some muni that had been let go to seed. I'm a big golf fan and between the course and Kaymer's domination, I had little interest in watching the coverage yesterday.
that's a shame. I guess the USGA will come under some pressure for the aesthetics of Pinehurst, but with only 3 guys finishing under par, I think it was more than difficult enough. I liked what they did to the course, there was an element of randomness in hitting into the wild areas, which for a links type setup is accurate. I mean if you go to Bandon Dunes, and tug your drive, you might end up in the gorse, you might end up in a sandy area, you might end up in some longer fescue but you'll have a shot unless you bury it in the deepest gorse patches or the ocean. The greens at Pinehurst are the defense.

The way Kaymer handled himself and the pressure, and then totally dominated, to me was Tiger/Rory type stuff. You don't get to see that very often, so I'm guessing a lot of people missed an historic performance. ONe thing you rarely see, after Kaymer won, as he was walking off the green, there was literally a line of pro golfers there to give him hugs. He's apparently quite the popular guy within the ropes. I'll definitely root for a guy like that.

To me, at least, the holes all looked the same. Long doglegs with gunch or a waste area at the dogleg. The fairways were green/brown, and there wasn't a lot of definition around the greens. A course doesn't have to be manicured to a fare-thee-well to be interesting, but there does need to be some visual distinction between holes, and I didn't see it at #2.

Yes, Kaymer was dominant. He played great and clearly was the best golfer in the field. But nobody was able to make a run at him, so the only pressure came from the golf course.

Least exciting US Open I can remember. I'm sure the ratings were atrocious.

Was actually watching soccer instead for most of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
tommyboy said:
that's a shame. I guess the USGA will come under some pressure for the aesthetics of Pinehurst, but with only 3 guys finishing under par, I think it was more than difficult enough. I liked what they did to the course, there was an element of randomness in hitting into the wild areas, which for a links type setup is accurate. I mean if you go to Bandon Dunes, and tug your drive, you might end up in the gorse, you might end up in a sandy area, you might end up in some longer fescue but you'll have a shot unless you bury it in the deepest gorse patches or the ocean. The greens at Pinehurst are the defense.
It's also similar to Ross' Belleair CC in Clearwater, FL...which along with Seminole is one of the 2 oldest courses in Florida...and pretty elite (John Daly plays there).

It's all about avoiding trouble off the tee, hitting your approach in the right quadrant of the green (never long), and what you do when you miss a green. Big difference is it isn't long like #2...but #2 played shorter than it's distance. But you can also get breaks if you miss the fairways in the right spots and avoid the dreaded gorse.

Last edited by a moderator:
17seconds said:

Heard on the radio ratings were down 70% from last year when Phil was in the hunt on Sunday. I can't find a link for this though.

17seconds said:

Heard on the radio ratings were down 70% from last year when Phil was in the hunt on Sunday. I can't find a link for this though.
here you go. not quite 70% but even 50% quoted is horrible. And i watched most of sunday, I'm surprised it really wasn't 70%. Absolutely no interesting story line over the weekend. They should have convinced one of the golfers to pull a Happy Gilmore or something to at least be mentioned on ESPN.

Final round coverage of the U.S. Open drew a mere 3.3 overnight rating on NBC, down 46% from last year (6.1), down 50% from a primetime finish in 2012 (6.6), and the lowest overnight for the final round since at least 1996. The overnight is likely the lowest in U.S. Open history, though overnights prior to 1997 were not immediately available.

Sunday’s 3.3 overnight is the lowest for the final round of any major on broadcast television since the 2008 PGA Championship on CBS (3.0), which aired opposite the Olympic Games. Keep in mind the British Open has occasionally dipped lower on ESPN — though last year’s final round earned a 3.6.

I'm starting to think that unless the US Open is at Pebble, I prefer watching The Open Championship. Masters is the best for me by far.

would you rather watch women shoot mid 80's at Pinehurst or only 3 men out of 156 shoot under par at Pinehurst>?

I know I'd rather watch the women suffer nervous breakdowns, personally

would you rather watch women shoot mid 80's at Pinehurst or only 3 men out of 156 shoot under par at Pinehurst>?

I know I'd rather watch the women suffer nervous breakdowns, personally
I get enough of that at home, I'll pass on the Women's Open

got trophy club tix at 220 per from my BIL for Saturday. the reason for the scoring thurs-Friday was the torrential downpours that softened the course on wed-thur. Saturday was 92 and by then, the course dried out and everyone backed up. was one of the least exciting, spectator trappy events I've been to. the TC appears to have gotten us access to an air conditioned concecession stand where we bought lunch and ice cream for 35-. merch tent was packed with 27- hats and the register lines were 30-45 minutes long by 3pm. we hung at the 8-9 turn and once Phil cleared, the grandstand left. seemed like only Garcia, els and Phil got a reaction. Phil is 43 and tiger is dead, if Rory sucks, this country will have a lot more empty golf courses IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread