What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Fanduel -- Week 1 (1 Viewer)

I have 130.72 points with Murray and C. Johnson to go tonight in a large GPP. Its a longshot but if they can combine for 50 points...

• My best lineup, sitting at 122 with 2 to play in a $2 and $5 GPP:

Bradford
    Lacy
    Abdullah
    A. Brown
    J. Jones
    S. Johnson
    Kelce
    Prater
    Jets

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this in my Facebook feed, from Bloomberg:

You aren't good enough to win money playing daily fantasy football

Daily fantasy is getting ready to generate more losers in 2015 than ever before. Each year in the history of daily fantasy sports has been bigger than the last, and September has become the biggest month for new fans trying the game, which combines the stats-jockeying of traditional fantasy contests with the thrills of old-fashioned sports betting. (Fantasy sports are exempted from the federal ban on sports gambling.)
To get to the size their investors are expecting requires a continuous stream of new players lured by ever-increasing prize pools with the help of muscular advertising campaigns. These ads never spell out a simple truth about daily fantasy competitions: While any player might get lucky on the back of a handful of entries, over time nearly all of the prize money flows to a tiny elite equipped with elaborate statistical modeling and automated tools that can manage hundreds of entries at once and identify the weakest opponents.
One thing behind some of the "studies" referred to in the article -- the data was crunched from MLB season. Making any comparisons from MLB and NBA to NFL are going to require a huge jump, as the scope of the player pools is much more niche and the NFL probably draws at least 10x more casual players.

True that DFS ads have now joined the ranks of Trucks and Beer as the most incessantly repetitive commercials on Sunday.

Anyone have experience with the RG chrome applet? As FBGs have ramped up their content for DFS, one thing they haven't really provided are apps like RG. For example -- I downloaded and played around with the Daily Crusher, but (1) i'm not going to pay for that every week on top of the insider pro subscription, and (2) correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sync with my FD browser or mobile app, no? Then it requires tedious entering of lineups onto the Crusher app AND onto the FD page. If the Crusher could both download my lineups from FD, and sync with FD to allow uploading of rosters, it might be worth it.

Would really like to see FBGs up the game in the Chrome app area, as now RG is the only outlet to provide that sort of support. Thanks

Sunday Only: 109 Points cash

Taylor

Lacy

Hill

OBJ

Dez

Adams

Olsen

McManus

Jets

Regular: Around 60 points, think if three MNF players have big game could still win some of my cash games, maybe most. A lot of top WRs had subpar games. Miller had 8 and Olsen about 2, lets see if I can comeback. Obviously if Bradford goes crazy with Matthews and Julio has a huge game I should win some of them.

Bradford

Lacy

Miller 8

Julio

Matthews

Adams

Olsen 2

Dan Bailey

Jets

Had a bit more of the Bradford lineup in cash games. I think making lineups is tough because you have to try to create a near optimal lineup. You have to figure which players are most likely going to do well, like Jeremy Hill. Its tricky because once I go with Bradford, Lacy, Adams, Matthews and Olsen, it really limits who I can use at # 2 RB. I admit seeing Ivory bruise his way while Lamar Miller had like 3 yards at halftime was frustrating because he was cheaper.

A lot depends on game script, if Jets fell behind it would be different. You have to recognize prime matchups and players with heavy workload. Lamar should have gotten more work though and Miami played a wierd game where they fell behind 0-10 and they didn't get much offense going the whole game. Still Washington has a strong rush defense. It can happen to any RB because even clear favorites can fall behind and the run game is dashed. Also note which teams use their RBs no matter if they fall behind so a Forte is safe but Lamar maybe not so much as seen in week 1.
Washington does have an above average run D (12th in 2014) but i blame the coaching staff. The Dolphins had something like 5 rushes at halftime. They went away from running the ball way to early.
And 2 of those rushes were from Tannehill I think (I know he had at least one of them). They were at 4 rushes (including Tannehill's) and 25 passes at one point.

Sitting at 98.5 and done with my Tyrod lineups. Currently winning all of them but I see many folks behind me with bguys going tonight at QB and WR. No idea if I'll still be in the money but probably not.

Good thing I entered a bunch of Brady/Gronk lineups to hedge.
Tyrod did reasonably well, but the money everyone saved by using him was likely not spent well (I know mine wasn't) since the players you would typically spend that money on were terrible producers.

Played 2 cash lineups this week (usually I'm crazy and spread around players alot more).

My Taylor cash lineup is at 107 with Julio left. Bennett, McManus and Miami sure helped. Ellington and Lacy didn't flop. Made up for having Dez and Adams.

My Bradford cash lineup is at 80 with Bradford and Matthews left. This one had Olsen...but again McManus and Jets were huge. Same RBs with ODB and Adams.

Hoping to cash everything there.

My GPPs are interesting...got some room to make some money.

Here is a quick Week 2 FD cash lineup I just made:

Taylor 6300 NE

Ivory 6900 IND

Ameer 6400 MIN

Antonio Brown 9200 SF

Hopkins 8100 CAR

Garcon 5400 STL (if Desean is out, could be great value) / Charles Johnson DET (if he breakouts could be great value)

Gronk 8300 BUF

I feel decent about this lineup. Hopkins looks like he might be matchup proof. Two cheaper RBs in Ameer and Ivory who can pay off 2x.

Well my Thursday lineups look like they will sweep. I got in on Thursday mainly to play Gronk and that paid well paired with McManus and the Jets. Looks like my regular cash lineups for Sun-Mon will be fine but won't hit anything much on GPPs. The overlay at FantasyDraft(got an e-mail from them and made a deposit 15 mins before gametime) will help alot. Should have put more money in that site. Still heavily invested in Peterson, Julio and Bradford so this could be a very nice week.

Could be an outlier for week one but all the cheap H2Hs I put out on Fanduel are going to be easy wins. I'm going to do more of that this year.

Week 2 salaries are up on Fanduel. Should we start a Week 2 thread?

Taylor - $6,300 - at home again, this time vs. NE. Could be another week of value here although not as much as this week.

Bradford - $7,500 - will be incredibly high owned if he goes off tonight.

Mariota - $7,400 - playing Cleveland.

Gronk - $8,300 - seems to be a must roster at this price.

I went real light this week mostly wanting to observe before making $ commits. I may do that for a few weeks and then decide if I want to go after NFL dfs again. I lost 5 grand last year. If I get going again it will be at DK. Just poking around FD with $50 bucks and I am getting hurt in both small leagues and cash games by kickers. I only lose about half if Murray has a big night.

Not the best of weeks for me. I tweaked lineups to go pretty much all-in on Olsen over my initial TEs (all of which seemed to catch 2 TDs a piece) figuring their ceilings are all about the same but Olsen had the highest floor. I have quite a bit of Ryan, Julio, and Mathews tonight so I likely won't be down much. But, if I had stuck with Seferian-Jenkins, Eifert, and Reed (my initial mix of TEs) I think I would be cashing in every contest.

Week 2 salaries are up on Fanduel. Should we start a Week 2 thread?

Taylor - $6,300 - at home again, this time vs. NE. Could be another week of value here although not as much as this week.

Bradford - $7,500 - will be incredibly high owned if he goes off tonight.

Mariota - $7,400 - playing Cleveland.

Gronk - $8,300 - seems to be a must roster at this price.
yes please

I went real light this week mostly wanting to observe before making $ commits. I may do that for a few weeks and then decide if I want to go after NFL dfs again. I lost 5 grand last year. If I get going again it will be at DK. Just poking around FD with $50 bucks and I am getting hurt in both small leagues and cash games by kickers. I only lose about half if Murray has a big night.
In McManus we trust

I was honestly kind of surprised and a little discouraged by how sharp the majority of lineups seemed to be. I don't recall exactly but I feel like Tyrod was ~50% owned in one of the big double ups. Lacy too. Hoping it was just a fluke this week that the top plays were so obvious.

I was honestly kind of surprised and a little discouraged by how sharp the majority of lineups seemed to be. I don't recall exactly but I feel like Tyrod was ~50% owned in one of the big double ups. Lacy too. Hoping it was just a fluke this week that the top plays were so obvious.
There are various factors, in certain cash leagues you might end up playing more sharps. Also the large double ups that have no entry limit you can see many pros entering many lineups.

It is also possible that the average player is getting better because information is easier to get. You have so much more media,CBS has their own FD show, ESPN I think has one. How many of the casuals know who Taylor is? However if he is thrown everywhere from RG artciles, FBG, CBS then people will know.

Monday only play for tonight.....

• QB
  • Sam Bradford
  • PHI @ ATL7:10PM EDT
  • RB
    Adrian Peterson
    MIN @ SF10:20PM EDT
  • RB
    DeMarco Murray
    PHI @ ATL7:10PM EDT
  • WR
    Julio Jones
    ATL V PHI7:10PM EDT
  • WR
    Anquan Boldin
    SF V MIN10:20PM EDT
  • WR
    Charles Johnson
  • TE
    Brent Celek
  • K
    Blair Walsh
  • D
    Minnesota Vikings

Taking a look at Week 1 -- still MNF games to go, but that should affect this data equally and not change the conclusion.

The BIG Double up (with multiple entries) = current score to cash is 85.

Smaller Double Ups (~500 single entries) = current average score to cash is 86.17, measured across 6 contests with a range of 84.6 to 88.

Once again, looks like the Multi-Entry is easier (although two single entry Doubles are currently cut off at 84.6 and 84.8, so there is some variance where the Singles could be better). However, 4 of the 6 Single Entry Doubles are currently cut off above 85 (86.1, 86.2, 87.4, and 88).

Taking a look at Week 1 -- still MNF games to go, but that should affect this data equally and not change the conclusion.

Smaller Double Ups (~500 single entries) = current average score to cash is 86.17, measured across 6 contests with a range of 84.6 to 88.

Once again, looks like the Multi-Entry is easier (although two single entry Doubles are currently cut off at 84.6 and 84.8, so there is some variance where the Singles could be better). However, 4 of the 6 Single Entry Doubles are currently cut off above 85 (86.1, 86.2, 87.4, and 88).
Im seeing about the same thing. The variance on the triple ups Im in ranges from 90-110 in some. Thats about 10 contests. The double ups( Thursday and Sunday) Im in range about 80-105 at the moment, with most somewhere between 85-95. Thats across across about 125 contests.

I only entered single entry though. Does anyone have data on the larger multi-entries?

I didn't find it surprising that Tyrod Taylor was highly owned but the 50% level in many contests was surprising. I was even more surprised that in the 43 low entry ($1-$5) head-to-head contests I entered he was used by 25 of my opponents.

I didn't find it surprising that Tyrod Taylor was highly owned but the 50% level in many contests was surprising. I was even more surprised that in the 43 low entry ($1-$5) head-to-head contests I entered he was used by 25 of my opponents.
Not sure where you guys were playing, but the Tyrod's ownership was 28.8% in FD's $250K BIG Double-up and only 12.0% in the same contest on DK.

Game selection is as important to your bottom line as your player selections...keep that in mind for Week #2.

Not sure where you guys were playing, but the Tyrod's ownership was 28.8% in FD's $250K BIG Double-up and only 12.0% in the same contest on DK.

Game selection is as important to your bottom line as your selections...keep that in mind for Week #2.
Will Tips and Picks be only written for DK this year?

Game selection is as important to your bottom line as your selections...keep that in mind for Week #2.
Yessir...unfortunately, we have so much content to write that Dodds felt it was prudent to have people write for only one major site; I will have DK.

If you have specific FD-related questions that you want to pose, my Twitter handle is the same as my DFS name (@tipandpick); I try to answer all questions there...

Yessir...unfortunately, we have so much content to write that Dodds felt it was prudent to have people write for only one major site; I will have DK.

If you have specific FD-related questions that you want to pose, my Twitter handle is the same as my DFS name (@tipandpick); I try to answer all questions there...
:( :thumbup: Makes sense and that's what I thought. I'm trying to play DK a little bit more this year, just never seem to do as well as on FD. I'll be checking out T&P's anyways as some of these guys crossover. All the content this year is amazing...you guys have really taken it up a few notches just from last year. :thumbup:

Monday only play for tonight.....

• QB
  • Sam Bradford
  • PHI @ ATL7:10PM EDT
  • RB
    Adrian Peterson
  • RB
    DeMarco Murray
  • WR
    Julio Jones
    ATL V PHI7:10PM EDT
  • WR
    Anquan Boldin
    SF V MIN10:20PM EDT
  • WR
    Charles Johnson
  • TE
    Brent Celek
  • K
    Blair Walsh
  • D
    Minnesota Vikings
Boldin --> Matthews

Minny --> Atl

That might be too heavy on the Philly offense though. I haven't played around with these two games much yet.

Regular: Around 60 points, think if three MNF players have big game could still win some of my cash games, maybe most. A lot of top WRs had subpar games. Miller had 8 and Olsen about 2, lets see if I can comeback. Obviously if Bradford goes crazy with Matthews and Julio has a huge game I should win some of them.

Bradford

Lacy

Miller 8

Julio

Matthews

Adams

Olsen 2

Dan Bailey

Jets
I think we'll be fine with our Bradford lineups. With the cutoff sitting around 85 points for 50/50's, I see us on on the right side.

Bradford

Lacy

Miller 8

Julio

Matthews

Adams

Olsen 2

Dan Bailey

Jets
I think we'll be fine with our Bradford lineups. With the cutoff sitting around 85 points for 50/50's, I see us on on the right side.

It is tough because I think 30% have Bradford, 37% Matthews and like 50% have Julio. It seems the games are not that soft as the casual players know to use these three players. If the cash games were not that hard you would think we could still win. Lamar had 8 pts and Olsen doing bad makes the cash games in general seem not that easy if still cannot cash with good performances.
Also McManus had 17 pts and like 35% or more had him. That makes it a bit tougher.

How much higher than 85 or so do we think the average 50/50 cutoff will be? I'm sitting at 98.5 with my Tyrod lineup thinking there's little chance of placing with it despite being fairly high as of now. Praying for a field goal fest like many of the other projected shootouts ended up.

How much higher than 85 or so do we think the average 50/50 cutoff will be? I'm sitting at 98.5 with my Tyrod lineup thinking there's little chance of placing with it despite being fairly high as of now. Praying for a field goal fest like many of the other projected shootouts ended up.
I'm hoping for "very low". But lots of ownership in tonight's games.

Im seeing about the same thing. The variance on the triple ups Im in ranges from 90-110 in some. Thats about 10 contests. The double ups( Thursday and Sunday) Im in range about 80-105 at the moment, with most somewhere between 85-95. Thats across across about 125 contests.

I only entered single entry though. Does anyone have data on the larger multi-entries?
I have entries in the large $2 multi entry double up, the $5 multi entry double up, and about 6 single entry $2 double ups.

Fantasysports1 said:
JTK said:

Bradford

Lacy

Miller 8

Julio

Matthews

Adams

Olsen 2

Dan Bailey

Jets

It is tough because I think 30% have Bradford, 37% Matthews and like 50% have Julio. It seems the games are not that soft as the casual players know to use these three players. If the cash games were not that hard you would think we could still win. Lamar had 8 pts and Olsen doing bad makes the cash games in general seem not that easy if still cannot cash with good performances.
Also McManus had 17 pts and like 35% or more had him. That makes it a bit tougher.
Now 94.4. In the 50s in my cash games out of 100 people. If Julio continues, Bradford and Matthews produce something I think I have a good chance to cash at least some which would turn a profitable week.

That R Mathews TD helps...Winning 3x total $ investment right now. Need more scoring I this game and Minny D to go off

Julio long catch def helps

Good week for me. In addition to loading up on Abdullah/Eifert/Stevie yesterday, I had Julio and Hyde going on several lineups tonight. Hyde pushed a couple of my otherwise weak entries over the hump with that second TD. On track for a 150% return on DraftKings and a 116% return on FanDuel. Could have been better, but the synergy with my lineups wasn't always perfect (i.e. had Olsen/McManus and Eifert/Vinatieri, but never the perfect Eifert/McManus). Not a big fan of the K position and it's unfortunate that FanDuel features it.

Anyway, week two is going to be interesting. I had Hyde pegged as one of my value plays, but at his $7k price tag it seems like he's going to be in every team now after this performance. Makes you wonder why they don't wait until Tuesday to release the next week's prices.

Not the best of weeks for me. I tweaked lineups to go pretty much all-in on Olsen over my initial TEs (all of which seemed to catch 2 TDs a piece) figuring their ceilings are all about the same but Olsen had the highest floor. I have quite a bit of Ryan, Julio, and Mathews tonight so I likely won't be down much. But, if I had stuck with Seferian-Jenkins, Eifert, and Reed (my initial mix of TEs) I think I would be cashing in every contest.
Ended up doing well considering Olsen dragged down all my teams. 56% return. Julio and Matthews came up big.

Did alright about a 40% return on my main play site and tripled my free 5 bucks on fantasyscore if they ever post the results.

I lost $175 week 1. Not good, obviously.

I did want to post the winning roster from the Sunday Million. The guy has less the 50 total wins. The interesting thing to me is the ownership percentage of these players.

Alex Smith 0.6% owned

Jamaal Charles 5.6% owned

Carlos Hyde 2.2% owned

Julio Jones 30.5% owned

Percy Harvin 0.5% owned

DeAndre Hopkins 3.3% owned

Tyler Eifert 4.8% owned

Steven Hauschka 3.3% owned

San Francisco D 0.6% owned

Total points 201.32

I do not know if that is luck or skill, but it is one hell of a contrarian lineup.

Also of note, both 2nd and 3rd place went to one username for a cool $500k. He used Tyrod Taylor in both lineups and avoided the big WR bombs that were out there. This guy had nearly 5,000 NFL wins.

On to week 2!!!

Bought in for $55 and got $45 in payouts. I only do the big GPPs so I'm happy with the results. Did too much hedging against my managed teams and it cost me big. For instance, I pulled AA and Eifert out of a few key teams where if I kep them would have cashed in a lot more.

Can' wait for the WFFC this week!!

bought in for $6 and won $18...going to ramp it up a bit in week 2. Probably wager around $20 every week from here on out.

I do want to say thanks to everyone here for their advice!

I'm up 1 large coffee after week 1. Yay. Most of my return came from a lineup with both Dez and OBJ. It could have been beautiful.

So close in one GPP. I plated 168 with Dobson and Gostowski. I had Stevie Johnson and Brown as my WR3 and PK initially but decided that I would be too invested in Stevie on my Sunday contests and that Dobson would have low ownership numbers. And so it goes.

Ultimately I'm down $3 for the week overall (on $62 invested). I'm thrilled with that given how heavily invested I was in ODB, Dez, Calvin, and Olsen.

For those who wish to track such things, here are the scores needed to cash in my doubles, triples, and quints. I will have a few more weeks essentially at this level, then hopefully will start to feel better about getting some more in play and will have $5 plays as well for a little better comparison.

Thursday --

Double-ups ($2): 107.44 (568 single entry), 130.34 (568 single entry)

Triple-up ($2): 122.92 (502 single entry)

Quintuple-up ($2): 135.62 (568 single entry)

Sunday --

Double-ups ($2) (568 single entry): 111.86,116.92, 119.0, 120.04, 119.8, 117.22,

Double-up ($5): 113.52 (227 single entry)

Triple-ups ($2) (502 single entry): 123.5, 120.74, 115.26, 122.66

Quintuple-ups ($2) (558 single entry): 127.44, 127.34,

Finished up $42 on $246 wager for a measly 17% ROI..... yayyyyyy

I'll take it after having so many misses. Had Olsen in almost every lineup, plus Dez ODB and Miller. The important thing is to keep the so-so weeks slightly in the positive and to crush it on the big weeks.

That would-be touchdown pass from Bradford to Matthews (looked like he got the ball over the pylon) that Chip didn't challenge but ran on the next play for a Ryan Mathews TD... yeah that would've been sweet, probably would more than double my winnings.

So close in one GPP. I plated 168 with Dobson and Gostowski. I had Stevie Johnson and Brown as my WR3 and PK initially but decided that I would be too invested in Stevie on my Sunday contests and that Dobson would have low ownership numbers. And so it goes.

Ultimately I'm down $3 for the week overall (on $62 invested). I'm thrilled with that given how heavily invested I was in ODB, Dez, Calvin, and Olsen.

For those who wish to track such things, here are the scores needed to cash in my doubles, triples, and quints. I will have a few more weeks essentially at this level, then hopefully will start to feel better about getting some more in play and will have $5 plays as well for a little better comparison.

Thursday --

Double-ups ($2): 107.44 (568 single entry), 130.34 (568 single entry)

Triple-up ($2): 122.92 (502 single entry)

Quintuple-up ($2): 135.62 (568 single entry)

Sunday --

Double-ups ($2) (568 single entry): 111.86,116.92, 119.0, 120.04, 119.8, 117.22,

Double-up ($5): 113.52 (227 single entry)

Triple-ups ($2) (502 single entry): 123.5, 120.74, 115.26, 122.66

Quintuple-ups ($2) (558 single entry): 127.44, 127.34,
For reference - the BIG multi-entry cut offs were:

Big Double = 110.12

Big Triple = 122.44

Big Quintuple = 128.4

All of your Doubles have a higher line, two of your Triples are actually lower, one higher and one the same, and both of your Quints are lower.

Seems like the big Doubles are the way to go but not the multi-entry 3x and 5x.

Bet 70 won 170. Lost all of my cash Games this week. Thanks Dez and Olson. Had a pretty good week considering that.

When looking at the GPP winning lineup, you think why didn't I think of that. You kind of need to win a GPP to play a lot more in cash games.

I made the switch from FD to DraftKings this year, and wow playing with no kicker is so much better (and I'm not just saying that because I had a killer week one :P )

I only did GPP at FD week 1. Were the 50/50 and Double Up cut lines really that low? I guess that's the high Week1 variance impact.

Users who are viewing this thread