What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Chicago Bears Thread (1 Viewer)

Texans OL Jeff Allen: four years, $28m, $14m in the first year. 

Way too high
Why?  It's a front loaded 7M/year average contract.  That puts him right in the middle of the top 10 guards for a 26 year old player in FA.  If high, it's only less then $1M.  I think that's going to be the going rate this offseason for a starting caliber guard...

Appears 7 was more than they wanted to pay for guard.  Massie still out there and can play multiple positions I think.  Some more guards left.  They got Slauson for 1 mil 1 year a couple years ago.  He's been great. 

Vasquez still there at Guard.  Massie at tackle.  A lot more guys left to play guard.  We need at least 2 guards and a tackle at some point.   Safety.  2 DL minimum.  Got top ilb

Cutler now making about same as Bradford and Osweiler.  But let's get rid of him and get Keenum.
They're going nowhere with Cutler at the helm and until they get serious about drafting/grooming a QB the franchise will be stuck in neutral. The Bears haven't selected a QB in the 4th round or higher since Kyle Orton in 2005. Orton was barely serviceable but at least they tried. They realized the situation and traded him for Cutler knowing Orton wasn't the solution.

As before Cutler's not the solution, but at least they tried. The problem I have is that they appear to be content with Cutler and stopped looking for a solution. They are content to enter 2016 with a 33 year old who never progressed from what he was on day one over a decade ago, an INT machine. Unless you have an elite QB like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, etc. throwing a mid level pick at a position as important as QB ever other year or so should be a no-brainer. Worst case scenario you have a backup QB who isn't very good, best case scenario you find a gem. The Bears appear to have completely hitched their fate to Cutler's inability to protect the ball and it frustrates the hell out of me.

On an amusing note of those 3 QB's you mentioned only one of those has a career INT % above 2.2% and a TD to INT ration less than 1.5, care to guess which one?

In hindsight I'm sure ya'll are tired of hearing me rail on Cutler. I will not mention him again at least until the season starts.

Lots of reports that the Bears plan to send Long back to Guard.  Guess that works instead of signing one.

flapgreen said:
Got Massie on 3 year deal.  Schwartz to Chiefs was 5 year deal.  Pretty similar guys.  Will see if Bears got better end of money part,  too. 
I was thinking that the money on Massie better be a lot better than Schwartz because he's no where near as good of a player.  Chiefs got a building block, Bears got a solid starter to put in for a few years IMO.

ETA: reports that Massie is a 3yr $18M deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Massie on 3 year deal.  Schwartz to Chiefs was 5 year deal.  Pretty similar guys.  Will see if Bears got better end of money part,  too.  Guards so far going around 7/per.  If they can get a RT for that and bump Long back to RG,  while getting a better deal than the other guards and tackles so far,  it's a big win.  Build the line! 

I was thinking that the money on Massie better be a lot better than Schwartz because he's no where near as good of a player.  Chiefs got a building block, Bears got a solid starter to put in for a few years IMO.
You may be right but Massie has improved every year and been in playoffs every year as well. 

They're going nowhere with Cutler at the helm and until they get serious about drafting/grooming a QB the franchise will be stuck in neutral. The Bears haven't selected a QB in the 4th round or higher since Kyle Orton in 2005. Orton was barely serviceable but at least they tried. They realized the situation and traded him for Cutler knowing Orton wasn't the solution.

As before Cutler's not the solution, but at least they tried. The problem I have is that they appear to be content with Cutler and stopped looking for a solution. They are content to enter 2016 with a 33 year old who never progressed from what he was on day one over a decade ago, an INT machine. Unless you have an elite QB like Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, etc. throwing a mid level pick at a position as important as QB ever other year or so should be a no-brainer. Worst case scenario you have a backup QB who isn't very good, best case scenario you find a gem. The Bears appear to have completely hitched their fate to Cutler's inability to protect the ball and it frustrates the hell out of me.

On an amusing note of those 3 QB's you mentioned only one of those has a career INT % above 2.2% and a TD to INT ration less than 1.5, care to guess which one?
So what is your suggested solution? Trade? Pick up a free agent? Who would you want? If it's to draft someone, who should they target and what round?

The #Bears are re-signing CB Tracy Porter, source said. They rejuvenated his career there.
I was less than impressed with Porter last season. ESPN is reporting he signed a three year deal for $16.5 million. I think he is an average to below average player. Curious what some of the other corners signed for.

If we can get Hicks at a reasonable price,  like 4-5 mil per,  this will be a huge success with no ridiculous contracts.  Remember,  Alshon was one of our signings, too. 

I was less than impressed with Porter last season. ESPN is reporting he signed a three year deal for $16.5 million. I think he is an average to below average player. Curious what some of the other corners signed for.
Other than the rough stretch St the end,  I thought Porter had an excellent year.   Better than most of the guys out there and cheaper.   We'll see the guaranteed money tomorrow.   That's what's important 

Danny Trevathan's 4-year, $24.5M deal with #Bears will pay him $10.1M in the first year, another $2M fully guaranteed in 2017.

Killer deal. 

Hearing that Akiem Hicks and #Bears are working toward a possible face-to-face meeting, perhaps tomorrow.  Twitter 

Nice pickup with Trevathan.

Overpaid for Massie at $6M/yr. Schwartz is a much better RT and he went for just $6.6M/yr.

Other than the rough stretch St the end,  I thought Porter had an excellent year.   Better than most of the guys out there and cheaper.   We'll see the guaranteed money tomorrow.   That's what's important 

QfzWZyAq_normal.jpg

Pro Football Focus (@PFF)

3/9/16, 4:54 PM
Tracy Porter resigns with the Bears. He allowed a passer rating of 107.2 when quarterbacks targeted his coverage. pic.twitter.com/km0LRb7hCm

Allowing a 107.2 passer rating to opposing QBs is really, really bad. I think they signed Porter so they can focus on the front seven, and maybe a safety. But I believe that Porter will be gone after a year. He just isn't very good. Problem is that Fuller isn't very good either, but he is young enough to possibly improve. Porter is what he is. If only Cutler could throw at Porter every game the Bears might have something going.

He was the best CB on the roster last year and shut down some good wrs.  I don't pay much attention to ratings.  Very thin CB market as well.  The contract may be structured in a way to easily get out of if he's not good,  as you said.  Still only 29

Overpaid for Massie at $6M/yr. Schwartz is a much better RT and he went for just $6.6M/yr.
Massie really played well during the second half last year and has gotten better every season.  Schwartz might have been a better option but I don't think they overpaid for Massie either.  6 mil for a RT while moving Long back inside is a 2 for 1.  It's obvious Pace targeted Massie over Schwartz 

He was the best CB on the roster last year and shut down some good wrs.  I don't pay much attention to ratings.  Very thin CB market as well.  The contract may be structured in a way to easily get out of if he's not good,  as you said.  Still only 29
Being the best corner on the Bears roster is like being the tallest midget in the circus. I believe the Bears are focused on the front seven this draft. They need more playmakers in the front seven. Goldman, McPhee, and Trevathan are a good start, but they still need a lot of help. 

Eh, not sure I think Massie is overpay, but I'm surprised Schwartz signed for so little, I thought he was going to be in the $8M range.  Wish they would have gone after Schwartz instead, but as Flap said, for some reason it looks like the Bears targeted Massie.

Being the best corner on the Bears roster is like being the tallest midget in the circus. I believe the Bears are focused on the front seven this draft. They need more playmakers in the front seven. Goldman, McPhee, and Trevathan are a good start, but they still need a lot of help. 
Can't disagree 

Eh, not sure I think Massie is overpay, but I'm surprised Schwartz signed for so little, I thought he was going to be in the $8M range.  Wish they would have gone after Schwartz instead, but as Flap said, for some reason it looks like the Bears targeted Massie.
And getting a RT for less than the top guards were going for,  while moving Long back to guard,  who is already better than any of the guards signed,  was a smart move.  Pace is smart.  Good players and not overspending. 

Now if we can get Hicks,  re-sign Jenkins,  and draft a guy like Robinson at 11, we'll be headed in a good direction.  Still need another ol and safety

Burning dollars to fill gaps left behind by lousy drafting. I understand that Pace has no choice but to make these moves. The pain point here is that some of these signings are not going to work out. Looks great on paper but there is a good risk that it does not translate on the gridiron. I still say that they draft up on their lines both sides of the ball. This to me, is a huge priority. Pace must break the mold of trying to use FA and the draft to fill massive gaps. They need a holistic approach. Build the damn lines as an expression of dominance for years to come.

Bobby Massie got $6M per. Mitchell Schwartz got $6.6M per. So much for RT market matching what LTs get.
Bears deal for Bobbie Massie three years, $18 million, $6.5M gtd, $1.5M bonus, $2M roster bonus March 14, annual $100K workout bonus

This is actually much cheaper than Schwartz.  Schwartz 15 mil gtd.  

NFLPA lists #Bears as having $31.4 in free cap. However, it shows them w/ 58 players under contract. They have 59. So that # is slightly off

Bears, Patriots also want to bring in C.J. Anderson, per source. Offer sheet could be coming from someone today.

NFLPA lists #Bears as having $31.4 in free cap. However, it shows them w/ 58 players under contract. They have 59. So that # is slightly off

Bears, Patriots also want to bring in C.J. Anderson, per source. Offer sheet could be coming from someone today.
I like CJ. I think he was getting better as the season progressed, after a very good season in 2014. However there four teams interested. I wouldn't pay him a lot.

I could definitely see paying 4 mil/year for him.  I think he's 26 and that's what Forte got.  Would be a very formidable rb core again with a much better ol

Scout on Fitzpatrick, RG3 and Kaepernick: "Fact teams are slobbering over these guys says a lot about state of quarterbacking in the NFL."

Some perspective on Cutler 

Former #Patriots DL Akiem Hicks is slated to visit the #Bears, flying in tomorrow night, source said. A clear fit.

Why? If they are still trying to dump Bennett we are in pretty desperate need for a TE.  Admittedly I don't know anything about Gresham.

Still think we are better off burying the hatchet with Bennett and figuring out how to make that work.  Our on-field skill goes down the second he is traded IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread