What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Keeper Help, never too early to look at this year (1 Viewer)

Currently debating my keep-five (max) 16-team CBS points league. I traded for a lot of last-year contracts and traded a lot of picks making a run for it, and lost in the final. So my options aren't great. I pick 15/16 (serpentine).

Betts in 7th and Schwarber in 15th seem like no-brainers to me. That leaves ...

Fowler in 17th

A. Russell in 19th

McCullers in 19th

LeMahieu in 24th

Y. Escobar in 25th

Plus several others who don't seem like great value where I would have to keep them ... Ellsbury (2), C. Santana (3), Shields (3), CarGo (4) and Gray (5).

Best player available. 

Stephen Vogt or Collin McHugh

Carlos Carrasco or Wade Davis (I'm assuming Carrasco here, but is it close?)

Best player available. 

Stephen Vogt or Collin McHugh

Carlos Carrasco or Wade Davis (I'm assuming Carrasco here, but is it close?)
Carrasco's ADP is 25 places higher than Davis', and it's hard to image Davis outperforming that draft slot.  Carrasco could be a top 10 pitcher, so I'd go with that upside. 

I'm a little unsure of what to do in my 14-team 5x5 (OBP) keeper league where you can keep 5 players indefinitely (or keep less and draft from the pool from that keeper slot instead).  

Here are my potential keepers:

Bryce Harper*  

Chris Davis*

Yasiel Puig

Evan Longoria

Gregory Polanco

Joc Pederson

Zack Greinke

Corey Kluber

Any thoughts? 

Who will potentially be available in the pool? Check out teams with > 5 top 50 or so keepers. Do teams often keep less than the max? Or would you be one of the only guys picking players?

Who will potentially be available in the pool? Check out teams with > 5 top 50 or so keepers. Do teams often keep less than the max? Or would you be one of the only guys picking players?
There are usually several teams that will only keep 2-3 players.  There are generally a few top 50 keeper players that are thrown back in the pool, but those guys generally get scooped up quick by the people that only keep a couple guys.   

I'm thinking about possibly offering up Greinke to someone who might be willing to trade me a bat for him, as I don't normally like to keep more than one pitcher.   

It's a weird spot.  Honestly, I'd probably either keep 2 or 5; nothing in between.  I really want to go down with the Puig ship this year and once you get to that 4th keeper (and the pool is getting drained) you're back to selecting among your keepers anyway.  With no experience in that league I'd probably choose the 2 then take my chances in the draft (Puig as pick #3 may be a viable worst case scenario), but it's a tough call.

It's a weird spot.  Honestly, I'd probably either keep 2 or 5; nothing in between.  I really want to go down with the Puig ship this year and once you get to that 4th keeper (and the pool is getting drained) you're back to selecting among your keepers anyway.  With no experience in that league I'd probably choose the 2 then take my chances in the draft (Puig as pick #3 may be a viable worst case scenario), but it's a tough call.
Thanks for the input.  It's definitely one of the harder keeper decisions that I've made over the past decade in this league.  I just feel like I have a lot of fringe keepers that have potential, but are far from a sure bet. 

Tough one here.  Auction keeper league, pitching categories are ERA, WHIP, W, Hld+SV, K/BB.  Do you...

Keep Johnny Cueto at $4 (last year to be kept)

Keep Jacob deGrom at $16 (could be kept one more time at that $)

What say you?

Tough one here.  Auction keeper league, pitching categories are ERA, WHIP, W, Hld+SV, K/BB.  Do you...

Keep Johnny Cueto at $4 (last year to be kept)

Keep Jacob deGrom at $16 (could be kept one more time at that $)

What say you?
Cueto is the better value and if you aren't in contention, you can trade that contract for some zygotes.  Not sure how deep this keeper is, but if it is like a keep five or less league I think Cueto by a mile.  If it's a deeper keeper like 10 or more, then it's a tougher decision. 

Cueto is the better value and if you aren't in contention, you can trade that contract for some zygotes.  Not sure how deep this keeper is, but if it is like a keep five or less league I think Cueto by a mile.  If it's a deeper keeper like 10 or more, then it's a tougher decision. 
Defending Champ (LOOK AT ME!!!!), so set up for this year as well.  Other keepers are Jose Fernandez, Francisco Lindor, Nolan Arenado and Lorenzo Cain.  All at premium prices.  First place team keeps 5, second and third keep 6, fourth and fifth keep 7, 6th through 12 keep 8.  I do think Cueto makes the most sense.  Especially since the premium talent will all be in the draft this year (Harper, Trout, Kershaw, Rizzo, Goldy, Donaldson all in the draft for sure - will be Trout, Harper and Rizzo's first year in the actual auction).

Hey all just looking for some opinions. Auction keeper league keep up to 5 players. Years one and two of keeping a player you add five to their price, every subsequent year you add ten (last year was the first year of the league so all prices listed will already have five added for this year, and then if they were to be kept next year five more, the following year 10 more than that, etc). Roster positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, NA, NA

R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG       L, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS, Net Saves

Im pretty locked in on four keepers and have a feeling I know what the consensus fifth keeper will be but just want to see what others think. My semi-legit options are as follows:

Manny Machado (3B, SS) - 19

Carlos Correa (ss) - 10

Starling Marte (OF) - 25

Corey Seager (ss) - 10

Jake Arrieta - 17

Gerrit Cole - 17

Not really considering Maikel Franco (3b) - 10 or Travis d'Arnaud - 6 but theyre available. I did really enjoy owning Franco last year.

Anyways, any thoughts appreciated, sorry about the essay. TIA.

mlbnfl said:
Hey all just looking for some opinions. Auction keeper league keep up to 5 players. Years one and two of keeping a player you add five to their price, every subsequent year you add ten (last year was the first year of the league so all prices listed will already have five added for this year, and then if they were to be kept next year five more, the following year 10 more than that, etc). Roster positions are C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, NA, NA

R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG       L, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS, Net Saves

Im pretty locked in on four keepers and have a feeling I know what the consensus fifth keeper will be but just want to see what others think. My semi-legit options are as follows:

Manny Machado (3B, SS) - 19

Carlos Correa (ss) - 10

Starling Marte (OF) - 25

Corey Seager (ss) - 10

Jake Arrieta - 17

Gerrit Cole - 17

Not really considering Maikel Franco (3b) - 10 or Travis d'Arnaud - 6 but theyre available. I did really enjoy owning Franco last year.

Anyways, any thoughts appreciated, sorry about the essay. TIA.
What's your salary budget? 260?

Machado, Correa, Arrieta, Seager, Franco. 

Try to trade a ss though.
Glad you posted this cause I was pretty locked in on Gerrit but this made me go back and look and I thought the starting pitching went for a lot more than it did last year so I likely will drop Cole now. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread