What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Subscriber Contest - live scoring in first post (2 Viewers)

I can definitely tell the bye weeks made a big difference on pricing.  First thing I did was go through and just pick everyone who jumped out as a huge value to me and it turned out basically half my team had a week 11 bye.  
my first pass had me probably bowing out week 8 with too many Ravens, Fins, Giants, and Steelers

Here's my first pass:

QB - Eli Manning - NYG/8 - $16
QB - Jameis Winston - TB/6 - $14
RB - David Johnson - ARI/9 - $30
RB - Duke Johnson - CLE/13 - $18
RB - Arian Foster - MIA/8 - $12
RB - Isaiah Crowell - CLE/13 - $10
RB - Chris Thompson - WAS/9 - $7
RB - Chris Johnson - ARI/9 - $4
WR - A.J. Green - CIN/9 - $30
WR - Demaryius Thomas - DEN/11 - $21
WR - Larry Fitzgerald - ARI/9 - $18
WR - Sterling Shepard - NYG/8 - $11
WR - Michael Thomas - NO/5 - $9
WR - Devin Funchess - CAR/7 - $6
TE - Gary Barnidge - CLE/13 - $12
TE - Ladarius Green - PIT/8 - $12
TE - Clive Walford - OAK/10 - $6
PK - Connor Barth - NO/5 - $3
PK - Dustin Hopkins - WAS/9 - $3
TD - Washington Redskins - WAS/9 - $4
TD - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TB/6 - $4

Week 9 looks like it could kill me, will probably be back at the drawing board multiple times
We are on the same page, almost in the same paragraph. 

Stop commenting on the toughness of the pricing. Of course it's tough right now. It's always tough right when they release it because it's using current values!  In a month when there are a dozen guys at $3 making plays in the pre-season then it's going to look a lot easier.  Duh?

Phenomena said:
Stop commenting on the toughness of the pricing. Of course it's tough right now. It's always tough right when they release it because it's using current values!  In a month when there are a dozen guys at $3 making plays in the pre-season then it's going to look a lot easier.  Duh?
Honestly, I never understood the "tough" pricing anyway.  We're all playing with the same rules, it's not that hard to put together a strong lineup that looks at least as good as most 12 team leagues.  The "tough" question is depth vs quality starters, like always. 

Honestly, I never understood the "tough" pricing anyway.  We're all playing with the same rules, it's not that hard to put together a strong lineup that looks at least as good as most 12 team leagues.  The "tough" question is depth vs quality starters, like always. 
I thought the "tough" comments about pricing were in just a kind of "tip of the cap" to the staffers who make up the pricing. A way of saying it's balanced to the point where it isn't just a bunch of easy decisions. 

That's how I was reading it but they aren't my words so I don't actually know. 

I thought the "tough" comments about pricing were in just a kind of "tip of the cap" to the staffers who make up the pricing. A way of saying it's balanced to the point where it isn't just a bunch of easy decisions. 

That I'll agree with.  Few players right now are "must have" on my team basedan on value alone.  There are a handful I'll probably keep throughout but those are guys I'm high on, compared to the consensus. 

Exactly. I felt like in years past, there were a few guys at each position that jumped out right away as nice value guys to add. This year, I don't really see many that scream value. Maybe that changes as we learn more through the preseason, but as of today, the prices for everyone seem to be about what I was expecting.

Really love the team I've settled on after 4 hours of tweaks between last night and tonight.  I hope I keep this one.... but I won't.

QB - Tony Romo - DAL/7 - $13
QB - Andy Dalton - CIN/9 - $12
QB - Josh McCown - CLE/13 - $5
RB - Doug Martin - TB/6 - $25
RB - Thomas Rawls - SEA/5 - $22
RB - Rashad Jennings - NYG/8 - $12
RB - Wendell Smallwood - PHI/4 - $6
RB - Josh Ferguson - IND/10 - $6
RB - DeAndre Washington - OAK/10 - $6
WR - Amari Cooper - OAK/10 - $21
WR - Demaryius Thomas - DEN/11 - $21
WR - Michael Floyd - ARI/9 - $15
WR - DeSean Jackson - WAS/9 - $14
WR - Markus Wheaton - PIT/8 - $13
WR - Sterling Shepard - NYG/8 - $11
WR - Ted Ginn - CAR/7 - $6
TE - Zach Ertz - PHI/4 - $18
TE - Martellus Bennett - NE/9 - $9
TE - Will Tye - NYG/8 - $7
PK - Andrew Franks - MIA/8 - $2
PK - Nick Folk - NYJ/11 - $2
TD - Cleveland Browns - CLE/13 - $2
TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/5 - $2

I feel like my QBs and RBs are virtually locked in (2 and 5 each), but the rest is up on the air.  I like my current roster and the bye weeks work well but with only 4 receivers, all mid level with breakout potential I'll probably want to change that. 

This contest is hard, it's clear that the later bye players are discounted and all Packers (who have a week 4 bye) carry a clear premium.

Seems like QB pricing is higher.  I had to go back to my gambling on 2 mid priced QBs.

My first pass is.....

QB - Carson Palmer - ARI/9 - $17
RB - Lamar Miller - HOU/9 - $28
RB - Duke Johnson - CLE/13 - $18
RB - Arian Foster - MIA/8 - $12
RB - Tevin Coleman - ATL/11 - $9
RB - Cameron Artis-Payne - CAR/7 - $4
WR - Odell Beckham Jr - NYG/8 - $33
WR - Brandin Cooks - NO/5 - $22
WR - Eric Decker - NYJ/11 - $17
WR - Cole Beasley - DAL/7 - $5
WR - Kenny Stills - MIA/8 - $4
WR - Dontrelle Inman - SD/11 - $2
TE - Greg Olsen - CAR/7 - $21
TE - Eric Ebron - DET/10 - $10
TE - Zach Miller - CHI/9 - $8
TE - Virgil Green - DEN/11 - $4
PK - Mike Nugent - CIN/9 - $4
PK - Josh Lambo - SD/11 - $3
PK - Ryan Succop - TEN/13 - $2
TD - Denver Broncos - DEN/11 - $8
TD - Houston Texans - HOU/9 - $5

I have it where I don't have a huge amount of value on bye the same week.  I think I have no more than $55 of value off any week.  But this will be tough in later weeks, since most of my byes are weeks 8 and on.

any reason to leave that much money on the table?
Maybe he's picking the best combination of players and ignoring what happens when he submits his
team if it doesn't go over budget? I think we OBSESS on getting to $250 when it could be a bad strategy.

Maybe he's picking the best combination of players and ignoring what happens when he submits his
team if it doesn't go over budget? I think we OBSESS on getting to $250 when it could be a bad strategy.

ehh.. but the thing with it being best ball... and lets say  your at 25 players whats the harm in adding a (gronk/gurley/newton) whoever and a few cheap fliers?

now if you are the 218 and your at the limit of 30 players then i fully understand it.

but then again thats the fun in these... so many strategies and nothing is guaranteed to be right 

ehh.. but the thing with it being best ball... and lets say  your at 25 players whats the harm in adding a (gronk/gurley/newton) whoever and a few cheap fliers?

now if you are the 218 and your at the limit of 30 players then i fully understand it.

but then again thats the fun in these... so many strategies and nothing is guaranteed to be right 
Yeah, nothing wrong with adding more players with $38 left, IF that's all you do.

I agree with those who said it seems harder this year, but I don't think the pricing is the only factor driving this. The overall player pool is just lackluster in my opinion. I couldn't really find any backs or receivers in the sub-$5 range that excited me at all. There's usually at least a couple of players at those prices that I want to own, but that's just not the case for me this year. Avoiding the bargain bin makes it tougher to fill out my roster, and I'm forced to pinch pennies elsewhere - especially on defense. The end result:

QB - Tyrod Taylor - BUF/10 - $11
QB - Brock Osweiler - HOU/9 - $8
RB - C.J. Anderson - DEN/11 - $22
RB - DeMarco Murray - TEN/13 - $15
RB - Devontae Booker - DEN/11 - $6
WR - Kelvin Benjamin - CAR/7 - $18
WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/5 - $15
WR - Travis Benjamin - SD/11 - $11
TE - Cameron Brate - TB/6 - $5
PK - Chris Boswell - PIT/8 - $5

Limitations aside, I like it. As the preseason unfolds, perhaps some of those cheapo players will become appealing. (And then end up of like 75% of the rosters in here.)

I agree with those who said it seems harder this year, but I don't think the pricing is the only factor driving this. The overall player pool is just lackluster in my opinion. I couldn't really find any backs or receivers in the sub-$5 range that excited me at all. There's usually at least a couple of players at those prices that I want to own, but that's just not the case for me this year.
I agree with the lack of cheap bargains this year. I think the end result is we will see smaller rosters.

I agree with the lack of cheap bargains this year. I think the end result is we will see smaller rosters.
There is so much midrange value to sift through that Im finding it very difficult to rationalize top 5 wr and te on my squad.  I have 6 mid range RBs on my current iteration and fretting that there are 3 more that I can't add.  Similar problem with wr.  qb, pk and def are all set.

Meh, seems like the same as always to me. It was just released a few days ago. The great values are usually a result of injuries/developments through the preseason.

There will be a few cheap players that will be on almost every roster by September, just like every year.

3 years in a row I have been eliminated in week 13, so this year I am blowing it up completely.  Going completely bare bones at QB, RB, and TE and loading up with over half my budget at WR.  

3 years in a row I have been eliminated in week 13, so this year I am blowing it up completely.  Going completely bare bones at QB, RB, and TE and loading up with over half my budget at WR.  
Why?

I agree with those who said it seems harder this year, but I don't think the pricing is the only factor driving this. The overall player pool is just lackluster in my opinion. I couldn't really find any backs or receivers in the sub-$5 range that excited me at all. There's usually at least a couple of players at those prices that I want to own, but that's just not the case for me this year. Avoiding the bargain bin makes it tougher to fill out my roster, and I'm forced to pinch pennies elsewhere - especially on defense. The end result:

QB - Tyrod Taylor - BUF/10 - $11
QB - Brock Osweiler - HOU/9 - $8
RB - C.J. Anderson - DEN/11 - $22
RB - DeMarco Murray - TEN/13 - $15
RB - Devontae Booker - DEN/11 - $6
WR - Kelvin Benjamin - CAR/7 - $18
WR - Tyler Lockett - SEA/5 - $15
WR - Travis Benjamin - SD/11 - $11
TE - Cameron Brate - TB/6 - $5
PK - Chris Boswell - PIT/8 - $5

Limitations aside, I like it. As the preseason unfolds, perhaps some of those cheapo players will become appealing. (And then end up of like 75% of the rosters in here.)
It's funny, I like the team but we currently share exactly zero players.  (though I have had Ty, KB, Cooper, Ebron, and Boswell on a few iterations)

are there any other reputable competitions like this for $ out there ? 

i'm wanting some more action..

Late to the party this year but just submitted my first (total garbage un-researched) entry :)    Looking forward to many more permutations :excited:

I'd rather not talk about how last year ended for me :kicksrock:

-QG

What is this thread doing on page 9?  

Looking at h-values, this year's pricing is definitely much tighter than previous.  Any time I see someone with an h-value higher than average in their tier, they undoubtedly have a late bye week.  

so little conversation on this topic this year, over 50k people sign up every year, this should have a ton of chatter.  Who is the most owned person in the contest this year?  J White?  Bye weeks or not easy to work with this year, that is usually the difference for my teams.  Last year i made to final 500, but not the 250. dammit.

I'm sure I'll change stuff,  but here is whee I stand now. 

QB -Andrew Luck, Ryan Fitzpatrick,  RG3

RB - Devonta Freeman, Woodhead,  Gio,  Sims,  James White,  Barner

WR - Watkins, Decker, MarvinJones, Sanu, Funchess, Matthews, Wallace

TE -Delanie, Witten,  Bennett 

3 kickers,  3 defenses. 

I've made it to the final week or two the past couple years with a similar approach.  One top Qb and RB,  trusting my research and gut on RB and WR breakouts. Luck was a luxury when I had $4 left over without anyone I wanted to use it on,  so I bumped up to him from another Qb. 

Still working on it, but best so far for me.

QB - Fitzpatric, Flacco, RG3

RB - Miller, McCoy, Anderson, Crowell, Blount, C. Johnson, A. Morris

WR - Allen, Marshall, Fitzgerald, M. Jones, M. Thomas, B. Ellington, W. Fuller

TE - Bennett, V Green

3 def, 3 kickers

Users who are viewing this thread