What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Closer Thread: Bad Day To Be A Blake (1 Viewer)

Melancon's scoreless inning last night looks better in the boxscore than in real-life.  His location was not sharp and he gave up a couple of very loud outs.  I don't think he's close to factoring into the committee yet.

Which turd should I pick up?
Probably Strop - consistently used to setup whereas Cishek seems all over the board.  Makes sense why Strop didn't get the save Cishek got June 9 (he had pitched 2 straight days), but curious why Morrow wasn't used.  It'd have been 3 in 4 days, but he's successfully done that before.  Although he needed 21 pitches to navigate both (one of which went badly) then his only other appearance was 9 days later, so maybe he wasn't right.  It'd certainly help explain an injury getting dressed.

Melancon's scoreless inning last night looks better in the boxscore than in real-life.  His location was not sharp and he gave up a couple of very loud outs.  I don't think he's close to factoring into the committee yet.
I know nothing and you shouldn't listen to anything I say.

Was surprised he wasn't waiver claimed in Uber, even as a potential trade chip flyer by a lower tier team. 
I was surprised too, given how quickly Maurer, McCarthy and Grimm were scooped up. There's also a "closer" on the waiver wire. 

(Yes, I'm trying to get you to pick up Romo and tank your ratios a bit)

Treinen was the best closer buy this year, he’s got a 99 mph sinking fastball. Silly. 
I feel like this just adds to the evidence that relievers are so predictable from year to year (unless you’re talking about the few elites).

ETA - obviously I meant unpredictable 

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like this just adds to the evidence that relievers are so predictable from year to year (unless you’re talking about the few elites).
I think there are 4 tiers

Elites - generally won't pay for them

Tier 2 - try to get as many of these as possible and hope you don't get one that assaults women

Good luck - mostly avoid these, but admittedly doing so prevents me from getting a guy like Treinen

Skills without saves (yet) - won't pay for an Andrew Miller, but will load up on the dollar derby and hope you end up with a Bear Claw or equivalent.

---

For roto anyway, points and H2H are too format specific.

Tepera DL'd. 

Clippard got the save last night, Gibby mentioned Oh in the huddle this AM. 

Jays are saying Osuna will get the job back August 4th but there will be fan pressure to trade him if they can. 

Mucks up the closer situation, assuming he will get some saves but not be the primary 
I'll be very surprised if Allen's role is changed.  Maybe if they get to the 9th without using Hand and there's an army of L's coming up, but knowing how Tito manages he'll probably have already used him unless they just took the lead in the 8th.

... and looks like Yates for the time being in SD, though he could be traded as well. 
I'm guessing someone will be willing to give up a premium prospect for him since he has 2 1/2 more years of control (and he may be great) whereas Stammen only has 1 1/2 (and he's just pretty good).  If that's the case then bye bye Yates then slide Stammen in there.  If no one offers enough then keep Yates and consider moving Stammen for a lesser return.  Could certainly move both, but would they be comfortable gutting their pen that deep?  Preller has proven...umm...unorthodox(?) before though.

Users who are viewing this thread