What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (5 Viewers)

Look, I think LA, LA and MIL are the most likely teams to capture the glory.  But I don't get erect for 2:1 chalk anymore.  20:1?  Boing!!!!!  

Brad Stephens, Kemba, Smaht and them wings?  Yeah, worth a throw at long odds. 

well, listen, that was surely damn weird the way he played that, but still...
more than damn weird - somewhere between a tantrum & a breakdown. the Green had beaten the Bucks in 7 without Irving the year before (mostly due to Ojeleye's ability to hold his path against Giannis) and won the first game in Mil pretty handily last year. then Kyrie stopped passing and started chukkin'. after one like 2-for-19 game he said he should have shot 19 more or sumn. milwaukee should be favored this year and the celts have not looked good against the bucks this season, but....

Is "Defensive Rating" a real thing?  Because this is kind of cool (from nba.com):

DEFENSIVE RATING

1.Giannis Antetokounmpo MIL 97.2

2.Donte DiVincenzo MIL 98.3

3.Wesley Matthews MIL 98.9

4.Khris Middleton MIL 99.4

5.Eric Bledsoe MIL 99.5

6.Alex Caruso LAL 99.5

7.Brook Lopez MIL 99.8

8.Joel Embiid PHI 101.1

9.George Hill MIL 101.2

10.Terence Davis TOR 101.5

What the hell is "Net Rating" at nba.com?  Because that's also pretty cool right now.

NET RATING

1.Giannis Antetokounmpo MIL 15.8

2.Donte DiVincenzo MIL 15.3

3.Khris Middleton MIL 14.8

4.Eric Bledsoe MIL 14.5

5.Brook Lopez MIL 13.3

6.Wesley Matthews MIL 12.6

7.Terence Davis TOR 12.3

8.Alex Caruso LAL 12.2

9.George Hill MIL 11.2

10.Jayson Tatum BOS 11.2

Is "Defensive Rating" a real thing?  Because this is kind of cool (from nba.com):

What the hell is "Net Rating" at nba.com?  Because that's also pretty cool right now.
defensive rating is the number of points scored against your team per 100 possessions.  An individual's defensive rating is that measurement per 100 possessions when that player is on the floor.

Net Rating is the difference between offensive rating (the number of points scored per 100 possessions) and the defensive rating.

My impression of him to date was not that of defensive giant.
he fits into exactly what they want him to do in that scheme, which is basically just stand by the rim.  i'm not sure that any one of those bucks guys is necessarily an amazing defender individually, but they have a scheme that they fit and they just execute it relentlessly.  Also helps Lopez that they mostly ask him to shoot 3s on offense, so easier to get back.   We'll see if Milwaukee can get figured out in the playoffs again, but it is really a machine.

Solid slate for hoops junkies today. OKC vs The Machine, Luka vs JimmyB, Kings/Griz like a playoff game, Nugs@Clips battling for 2 seed. 

Westbrook has been incredible lately. This is the best stretch of his career in terms of overall play. 

Westbrook has been incredible lately. This is the best stretch of his career in terms of overall play. 
He's unpopular here but pretty much my favorite player to watch. RUDE

Seeing him live is better than watching on tellie. I don't think anyone plays harder, certainly no star players do. When matched defensively against Tatum today (small ball is fun) he was better than anyone else who's tried lately. The efficiency has been unusual, and his IQ has gone through the roof (D'Antoni?). No more dumb decisions down the stretch. The first guy to wave off a play to run the clock down. Not sure this is his best run ever, but I am enjoying it. U.C.L.A. rahrahrah.

i dunno - Morey/D'Antoni might be on to something here. i hope not, but other coaches arent figuring out how to respond to the spoke being taken out of the wheel & may not for a while. i didnt expect the Celts to because JTatum is the tallest guy in their starting lineup, but this is the 3rd or 4th time i've seen the Rockets since Capela was gone and other teams are trying to capitalize in the post so little i cant even get a sense of what works how  :shrug:

i dunno - Morey/D'Antoni might be on to something here. i hope not, but other coaches arent figuring out how to respond to the spoke being taken out of the wheel & may not for a while. i didnt expect the Celts to because JTatum is the tallest guy in their starting lineup, but this is the 3rd or 4th time i've seen the Rockets since Capela was gone and other teams are trying to capitalize in the post so little i cant even get a sense of what works how  :shrug:
This is actually Kinda what the sixers could do if they had no embiid (and to some extent have done when embiid missed a few games) and have simmons play the Westbrook role.  Though I suppose they would also need a really solid qb to help make it all work.

The road losses are crazy. They’ve blown numerous halftime leads and been blown out as well.  I wonder what the biggest disparity in home vs road winning percentage is — sixers have to be close. 

I like Horford and he has brought some maturity and camaraderie with him but he isn’t fitting well. He and Harris are playing out of position and Simmons isnt shooting. That makes life hard and Brown hasn’t really adjusted the offense to fit the pieces he has. They are a great defensive team when Richardson is out there and the whole projected team hasn’t played much together, but they still lack “something” it seems. Time will tell, but I wish they had found a way to keep the team from last year together.    

largest disparity i can find so far: The Kings finished the 90-91 season 24-17 at home and 1-40 on the road. 
According to the broadcast today, the answer is 88-89 nuggets with 35-6 at home and 9-32 on the road.

This is the Clipper defense I commented on a couple days ago. They should be so good, but that was a pathetic half of defense... yet again. 

Giannis today became 1st player in history to go 40-20-5 in less than 38 minutes.

Also, Bucks need to go 18-4 to win 70 games....that would be their worst 22-game stretch of the season.

Long Ball Larry said:
Eh, not that much point to try here.
StatMuse✔@statmuse

The Clippers have the league’s 5th best defense. Here are the most points they have allowed to a player in a game this season:

47 — James Harden
40 — Russell Westbrook
39 — Jayson Tatum
39 — Karl-Anthony Towns
39 — Shake Milton today

i did like how everybody wet themselves about Tatum when he got 39 points against the Clippers, and here comes Shake as he dunks over Kawhi to tell all to hold his beer:

StatMuse✔@statmuse

The Clippers have the league’s 5th best defense. Here are the most points they have allowed to a player in a game this season:

47 — James Harden
40 — Russell Westbrook
39 — Jayson Tatum
39 — Karl-Anthony Towns
39 — Shake Milton today

i did like how everybody wet themselves about Tatum when he got 39 points against the Clippers, and here comes Shake as he dunks over Kawhi to tell all to hold his beer:
hold my beer and watch me lose take that to the bank brohans 

13th in pts allowed and they have been going the wrong way.
do you think that they have any structural issues that will be a problem in the playoffs?  I guess the lack of a real rim protector could be problematic, but I think that their perimeter defense is good enough to keep it from being fatal.

Clipperwise, the surprise for me is Lou Williams & Reggie Jackson playing well together. RJax looks best he has since he was Westbrook's 1A in OKC. Still dont see a scheme in LACland, but looking for one becomes more a fool's errand every day

do you think that they have any structural issues that will be a problem in the playoffs?  I guess the lack of a real rim protector could be problematic, but I think that their perimeter defense is good enough to keep it from being fatal.
Doc loves Harrell, and for good reason. But he hates playing Harrell and Zubac together, which I think would be crazy good on defense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc loves Harrell, and for good reason. But he hates playing Harrell and Zubac together, which I think would be crazy good on defense. 
He uses both when situations call for defensive substition. The game flow sometimes leaves them on the court together. It isn't pretty on offense. Doc would prefer five who can hit threes, but four with one setting picks is what he has. Harrell is as good rolling as anyone, but he can't pop (like Ben) so defenses know what they're getting. Same with Zu. 

As for defensive schemes, they're many and varied, but we still need to see more of the big two together, I guess. I expected greatness and we get semi-good/ungoodness. They are running extended zones a lot more. Doc has dedicated two full weeks of practice to D only since the New Year. :shrug:

Zu is pretty good protecting the rim. Trez is average. When I see LAL and Mil turn on the gas defensively, they are both really good at the rim. I think it will be the difference maker for both in the playoffs.

Denver run off their home court vs. the Warriors.

Denver is the biggest fraud in the NBA. In a landslide. 

Slow plodding offense != good defense. 

so when is this dude gonna stop:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1235046231925305344

I'm no defender of NBA refs, but it seems like NBA is one of the worst sports out there with how it is permitted for players to yell at refs and go after them. I am not sure why this has been allowed to get to the point that it has become, but you can watch most NBA games and at any point you will see a player yell right at a ref. I think it won't take long before you get more like this with Marcus Smart having to have grown men 80 year old dudes step in front of him without going after refs. 

Seems problematic no? 

Amazing to think the Nets are a playoff team with no Durant all year and got 20 games out of Irving.  :lol:  

Levert went nuts again tonight for 51 (37 in the 4th and OT alone). Great scorer. I'll be interested to see how/if he fits with Durant/Irving. (Levert's terrible off the catch and shoot)

Amazing to think the Nets are a playoff team with no Durant all year and got 20 games out of Irving.  :lol:  

Levert went nuts again tonight for 51 (37 in the 4th and OT alone). Great scorer. I'll be interested to see how/if he fits with Durant/Irving. (Levert's terrible off the catch and shoot)
there were some rumours circulating at the deadline about the Sixers trying to pry away Dinwiddie from that team and packaging Horford over there (no idea how that would possibly work salary cap wise). Saw the highlights though, and Levert was absolutely nuts in that final 5 minutes of regulation and OT

so when is this dude gonna stop:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1235046231925305344

I'm no defender of NBA refs, but it seems like NBA is one of the worst sports out there with how it is permitted for players to yell at refs and go after them. I am not sure why this has been allowed to get to the point that it has become, but you can watch most NBA games and at any point you will see a player yell right at a ref. I think it won't take long before you get more like this with Marcus Smart having to have grown men 80 year old dudes step in front of him without going after refs. 

Seems problematic no? 
Won't comment on the performance of the refs or Smart's behavior but, the little shove by that kid in the red jacket struck me as pretty funny. Probably unwise and  dangerous, but funny. 

Users who are viewing this thread