What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 Grammys Thread - It can’t be worse than the SB halftime show (1 Viewer)

Even todays pop music cant hold a candle to the past like prince....michael jackson....lionel richie ...hell even madonna .....these guys are mostly hacks

I could be wrong, but I think that album had three #1 hits. Hard to blame the Grammies for that. 
But that is exactly what is wrong with the Grammys (for the most part).

Sales = best.

Say what you will about the Oscars but they typically award quality over popularity.

In 2016 one of those Captain America crapfests took in over a billion dollars.  The best picture went to “Birdman” which took in about 90% less.  

“Christopher Cross” was released at the end of 1979. 

Other albums that were released roughly the same time:

”The Wall” Pink Floyd

”Unknown Pleasures” Joy Divison

“Armed Forces” Elvis Costello

”Regatta de Blanc” The Police

“Pretenders”

”Los Angeles” X

But that is exactly what is wrong with the Grammys (for the most part).

Sales = best.

Say what you will about the Oscars but they typically award quality over popularity.

In 2016 one of those Captain America crapfests took in over a billion dollars.  The best picture went to “Birdman” which took in about 90% less.  

“Christopher Cross” was released at the end of 1979. 

Other albums that were released roughly the same time:

”The Wall” Pink Floyd

”Unknown Pleasures” Joy Divison

“Armed Forces” Elvis Costello

”Regatta de Blanc” The Police

“Pretenders”

”Los Angeles” X
I have no idea what the sales were for those albums. I said his album had 3 #1 hits...has nothing to do with sales. Not sure how many of the albums you mentioned were eligible for 1981, but the nominees were:

Album Of The Year

Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross

Barbra Streisand, Barry Gibb - Guilty

Billy Joel - Glass Houses

Frank Sinatra - Trilogy: Past, Present, Future

Pink Floyd - The Wall Lyrics

Interestingly enough, the Wall only had one #1 song on it and the album was only #1 for a week. I think its popularity grew over time.  

Honestly last night was a great example of how awful music is these days. 

Lada Gaga is outrageously talented. Some of the country singers with Dolly Parton sounded nice, doing hits from 30 years ago. The rest of these people were mostly complete hacks. 

Honestly last night was a great example of how awful music is these days. 

Lada Gaga is outrageously talented. Some of the country singers with Dolly Parton sounded nice, doing hits from 30 years ago. The rest of these people were mostly complete hacks. 
If you judge the state of music by the Grammys, you're doing it wrong.  Never has been the place to reward the best music, just the most popular.  

This is the one thing about this board or any board that bothers me. These are your opinions.

Because YOU think music isn't good doesn't mean it's fact. It's your opinion. 

We all have different tastes in movies and music. 

This is the one thing about this board or any board that bothers me. These are your opinions.

Henry gave a hilarious answer, but honestly we know this. And I even took Post Malone about two years ago in a music draft that we do. But comparing some of these people to, say, acts like Hendrix or The Who or The Beatles or The Beach Boys is almost laughable, really. 

Every generation is going to proverbially flip the bird to the generations prior and that's fine. But I think this one, in terms of who is selling, is using its index finger.

And I'm full well aware that's my opinion, but there's enough evidence to support it.  

That performance by Post Malone and Red Hot Chili Peppers was weird.  I guess Post Malone picked up a guitar on the RHCP song, but it was not even really a joint performance.  They mostly just kind of shared the stage together for part of it.

I liked the song/performance by H.E.R.  I can't say that I'm familiar with her music, but I'm checking her out.

What I found interesting is thousands of young casual Miley/Katy Perry fans will think "After the Gold Rush" is a Dolly Parton song now - just like so many think that "I Will Always Love You" is a Whitney song. Not sure how much of Dolly's voice was live vs Memorex but she was good in perhaps the only thing that caught my attention for the evening. Kacey Musgraves can sing.

Would have been a cool Spinal Tap moment if the Post Malone guy would have banged his head while walking through the smoke under the stage because he couldn't see anything.

In honor of the Grammys, I'm listening to White Iverson by Post Malone.  I actually have always dug this song.  

ffldrew said:
What I found interesting is thousands of young casual Miley/Katy Perry fans will think "After the Gold Rush" is a Dolly Parton song now - just like so many think that "I Will Always Love You" is a Whitney song. Not sure how much of Dolly's voice was live vs Memorex but she was good in perhaps the only thing that caught my attention for the evening. Kacey Musgraves can sing.
Only watched about 20 mins but caught the Dolly segment. I enjoyed it

We all have different tastes in movies and music. 
Uhhh no you’re wrong this is fact. 

Uhhh no you’re wrong this is fact. 
And it’s not like it’s a new trend.  

1989 Grammy eligible songs:

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman

Bad Medicine by Bon Jovi

Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer

Angel of Harlem or Desire by U2

I Hate Myself for Loving You by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison

Song of the year?

Don’t Worry, Be Happy

While i feel like most "get off my lawn people" i did appreciate seeing that female Prince, she seems really talented. The her chick seemed good.  Kacey musgraves can sing. 

I had never heard of these people but can appreciate their talent.

The cabella chick and miley were showing enough skin to get someone banned around these here parts.

Post malone looked like he was Anthony keides's meth dealer

While i feel like most "get off my lawn people" i did appreciate seeing that female Prince, she seems really talented. The her chick seemed good.  Kacey musgraves can sing. 

I had never heard of these people but can appreciate their talent.

The cabella chick and miley were showing enough skin to get someone banned around these here parts.

Post malone looked like he was Anthony keides's meth dealer
I actually told my wife he looks like a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers who got kicked out because he couldn’t afford a sock to wear on stage. 

Users who are viewing this thread