What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

Is any of this really surprising though? Seems like pretty much what Rex said a week or so ago...they're planning for him to play, and they're "cautiously optimistic" that he will, but there's no guarantee. Not sure what else they can really say at this point. If they say he's gonna play and he doesn't, then they just look foolish. There's always a matter of some doubt, no?

Jackson is 34. Not many 34 year old RBs are able to contribute at a high level. Betting on Fred Jackson to be the exception is bad business.

Ray Rice looked GREAT in his last full preseason before averaging 3.1 ypc at age 27.

I understand the love all Bills fans have for Fred..but he is still a 34 year old RB. 34...
I don't think people were expected Fred to contribute at a high level on the field.
Leadership is over-rated he's been the leader for awhile now, Nothing has happened, plenty of other likeable guys and the Bills have other guys that can pass protect just as well as Fred did for a back.

Felton, Harvin, Gray also all can play the H-back type roll if injury occured. Deep at the position.

They just need to PR stop this storm. It was bad when Stevie Johnson and Moorman got cut. Sign Dareus and all will be forgot.
So because Fred has been the leader for a while now and nothing has happened, leadership is over-rated?

Those situations were entirely different- neither of those guys was nearly the leader that Jackson was, they were both moved after yet another 6-10 season with no reason to be optimistic about the next one, Stevie had a much bigger contract that was part of it and that was a trade so they actually got something in return, etc.

There was so much turnover with this team this year, and expectations are higher than they've been in years, it would have been nice to have kept one of their captains, who had a modest salary, and who can still contribute some on the field.
2.3M is actually a good amount to keep a backup RB when you have Karolos Williams, Boobie, Brown. Oh yeah and McCoy you are paying a boatload to. You have guys like Gilmore, Dareus, Glenn all will get big pay days and Bradham as well coming due.

It's business he's not needed. He's easily replaced on the field. Off the field and leadership they'll be fine with guys like Kyle, Wood, Mario, etc.
I'm guessing it's one of if not the lowest salaries for an offensive captain in the NFL, and $2.3mil isn't going to make any difference when it comes to signing those other guys. Just because they overpaid guys like McCoy and Cassel doesn't mean they should compound things by shipping off a guy like Jackson, especially in the manner it reportedly went down.

No one is saying this is catastrophic by any stretch, but it's just another head-scratcher from an organization which doesn't inspire much confidence to begin with.
Disagree 2.3M is alot and they can carry it over on top of next years cap. So cutting Cassel potentially and Fred would save over 7M onto the cap next year. They will be pinching pennies to stay under the cap even with a rich owner who can shell out alot of GTD' money. Better to cut a guy a year soon, than later.

Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn IS apart of this 2.3M decision.
Why does cutting him now save 2.3 million next year?

Jackson is 34. Not many 34 year old RBs are able to contribute at a high level. Betting on Fred Jackson to be the exception is bad business.

Ray Rice looked GREAT in his last full preseason before averaging 3.1 ypc at age 27.

I understand the love all Bills fans have for Fred..but he is still a 34 year old RB. 34...
I don't think people were expected Fred to contribute at a high level on the field.
Leadership is over-rated he's been the leader for awhile now, Nothing has happened, plenty of other likeable guys and the Bills have other guys that can pass protect just as well as Fred did for a back.

Felton, Harvin, Gray also all can play the H-back type roll if injury occured. Deep at the position.

They just need to PR stop this storm. It was bad when Stevie Johnson and Moorman got cut. Sign Dareus and all will be forgot.
So because Fred has been the leader for a while now and nothing has happened, leadership is over-rated?

Those situations were entirely different- neither of those guys was nearly the leader that Jackson was, they were both moved after yet another 6-10 season with no reason to be optimistic about the next one, Stevie had a much bigger contract that was part of it and that was a trade so they actually got something in return, etc.

There was so much turnover with this team this year, and expectations are higher than they've been in years, it would have been nice to have kept one of their captains, who had a modest salary, and who can still contribute some on the field.
2.3M is actually a good amount to keep a backup RB when you have Karolos Williams, Boobie, Brown. Oh yeah and McCoy you are paying a boatload to. You have guys like Gilmore, Dareus, Glenn all will get big pay days and Bradham as well coming due.

It's business he's not needed. He's easily replaced on the field. Off the field and leadership they'll be fine with guys like Kyle, Wood, Mario, etc.
I'm guessing it's one of if not the lowest salaries for an offensive captain in the NFL, and $2.3mil isn't going to make any difference when it comes to signing those other guys. Just because they overpaid guys like McCoy and Cassel doesn't mean they should compound things by shipping off a guy like Jackson, especially in the manner it reportedly went down.

No one is saying this is catastrophic by any stretch, but it's just another head-scratcher from an organization which doesn't inspire much confidence to begin with.
Disagree 2.3M is alot and they can carry it over on top of next years cap. So cutting Cassel potentially and Fred would save over 7M onto the cap next year. They will be pinching pennies to stay under the cap even with a rich owner who can shell out alot of GTD' money. Better to cut a guy a year soon, than later.

Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn IS apart of this 2.3M decision.
Why does cutting him now save 2.3 million next year?
Never mind... The carryover thing, right?

Is any of this really surprising though? Seems like pretty much what Rex said a week or so ago...they're planning for him to play, and they're "cautiously optimistic" that he will, but there's no guarantee. Not sure what else they can really say at this point. If they say he's gonna play and he doesn't, then they just look foolish. There's always a matter of some doubt, no?
Not surprising at all, just makes cutting Fred that much more of a bad decision IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
So my question is....who is the back to own if you want to spot start a Buffalo RB in week 1 or possibly even 2?

Bryce Brown

Karlos Williams

Boobie Dixon

Anyone else starting to wonder if "where there's smoke, there's fire" re: Doug Whaley? Seems like people aren't afraid to trash him once they leave the organization.

Anyone else starting to wonder if "where there's smoke, there's fire" re: Doug Whaley? Seems like people aren't afraid to trash him once they leave the organization.
If Doug Marrone trashed Whaley, that wouldn't matter much to me. When it's Fred Jackson, I'll remember that and keep in mind going forward.
yeah, I've been a Whaley fan. And I can respect and understand the reasoning if they wanted to move on from Fred Jackson for football reasons, but it's not a good look given that:

• they waited til the end of camp to cut him
  • he was the only healthy RB on the roster at the time
  • he looked great in the last preseason game
  • he was willing to take a paycut to stay
  • the GM apparently went against the coaches wishes in releasing him

It's difficult to be too hard on Whaley overall, because I do like the team he's constructed overall. I think in general he has a group that drafts and scouts well.

What I don't like about him, is he makes a lot of big moves that don't look like he's getting value. Trading a first rounder to move up 3 slots for Sammy Watkins? Might turn out well, but certainly not getting value. Trading Kiko for McCoy's huge contract? Might work out, but again - poor value. Huge contract for Charles Clay? He probably could've spent that money better. Draft EJ 16th overall - when he (or an equal player) would probably be around in the 2nd/3rd/4th? Remember Chris Williams? I could go on...

And the Fred Jackson is another tick against a guy who has shown dubious judgement and decision making. Clearly it's not all bad, but as you can see I'm not the biggest Whaley fan.

On the other hand, it does lower the credibility of the story a little bit when the reporter (Tim Graham) who breaks the news subsequently half-backtracks on the "rogue" claim and then starts a Twitter war with a WGR radio personality where apparently Graham did some creepy takes-things-a-little-too-seriously background check to try to prove that Coller didn't play JuCo baseball....

On the other hand, it does lower the credibility of the story a little bit when the reporter (Tim Graham) who breaks the news subsequently half-backtracks on the "rogue" claim and then starts a Twitter war with a WGR radio personality where apparently Graham did some creepy takes-things-a-little-too-seriously background check to try to prove that Coller didn't play JuCo baseball....
I followed that all day.

He said he checked up on Coller's background years ago. Just brought it up when they started trashing him on WGR this morning I guess.

I'm not sure why the story generated so much heat.

Tim Graham is pretty awesome though. I trust his reporting, even if he can be petty on twitter.

I followed that all day.

He said he checked up on Coller's background years ago. Just brought it up when they started trashing him on WGR this morning I guess.

I'm not sure why the story generated so much heat.

Tim Graham is pretty awesome though. I trust his reporting, even if he can be petty on twitter.
It's become pretty evident over the past year or so that WGR and the Buffalo News sports department hate each other. I'm not really sure who started it. They'll take shots at each other wherever possible. I didn't hear the segment this morning though so not sure what was said on the radio.

I think this Fred Jackson story is a follow-up piggyback on the Pat Kane story. Graham has shown a tendency to push the envelope a little bit in his reporting, which is fine, but leads to a lot of unverifiable info floating around that no one can confirm.

It's difficult to be too hard on Whaley overall, because I do like the team he's constructed overall. I think in general he has a group that drafts and scouts well.

What I don't like about him, is he makes a lot of big moves that don't look like he's getting value. Trading a first rounder to move up 3 slots for Sammy Watkins? Might turn out well, but certainly not getting value. Trading Kiko for McCoy's huge contract? Might work out, but again - poor value. Huge contract for Charles Clay? He probably could've spent that money better. Draft EJ 16th overall - when he (or an equal player) would probably be around in the 2nd/3rd/4th? Remember Chris Williams? I could go on...

And the Fred Jackson is another tick against a guy who has shown dubious judgement and decision making. Clearly it's not all bad, but as you can see I'm not the biggest Whaley fan.
Don't follow the team that closely (obviously a Panthers fan), but I thought the 16th pick on EJ was a Buddy Nix call, not Whaley? Didn't Nix want a QB as his legacy or whatever?

And Kiko is having issues with his knee, so the book's not closed there, but... I don't think they necessarily used their assets that wisely there.

One look at the Julio trade shows how the Watkins thing *could* work out in the future (Cleveland has nothing to show for that now).

Just playing devil's advocate... you guys have a pretty stout roster and a decent coaching staff now (it would seem). I doubt your new owner is going to let an incompetent GM (if he turns out to be so) derail your progress for an extended period.

I doubt your new owner is going to let an incompetent GM (if he turns out to be so) derail your progress for an extended period.
While I appreciate your optimism, some would argue that the same owner kept a long-term GM and coach way too long with regards to the hockey team.

Watkins trade is tough to love in hindsight because we've now seen how strong last year's WR class is and how amazing Odell Beckham is. But, Watkins is going to be great too IMO. Just needs some QB help and to stay healthy to realize his potential. Plus, it sounds like he didn't get great coaching last year so hopefully that improves as well.

I doubt your new owner is going to let an incompetent GM (if he turns out to be so) derail your progress for an extended period.
While I appreciate your optimism, some would argue that the same owner kept a long-term GM and coach way too long with regards to the hockey team.
I don't think the Pegulas are going to be very hands on when it comes to making football decisions. They don't have the background, but they could always revisit the idea of bringing in a football czar if they start to lose faith in Whaley.

by "some", do you mean Bucky Gleason?

FWIW, after last night's game, Whaley claimed he talked to the Pegulas, Rex and the RB coach before cutting Fred Jackson.
Sal Capaccio basically confirmed this on the pregame show as well. Said that Whaley called Terry while Terry was watching his daughter at the US Open, and that the coaching staff was all informed of the move before it happened. He did confirm that not everyone agreed with the move - but that's to be expected when you have so many decision-makers with opinions.

Steve Tasker said:
GroveDiesel said:
FWIW, after last night's game, Whaley claimed he talked to the Pegulas, Rex and the RB coach before cutting Fred Jackson.
Sal Capaccio basically confirmed this on the pregame show as well. Said that Whaley called Terry while Terry was watching his daughter at the US Open, and that the coaching staff was all informed of the move before it happened. He did confirm that not everyone agreed with the move - but that's to be expected when you have so many decision-makers with opinions.
Sure seems like the whole "went rogue" thing was hugely overblown. I'm guessing one person didn't agree with the move, got in Tim Graham's ear and the rest was a media joyride.

I'm not a Tim Graham hater, but the dude sure does seem awfully gleeful breaking news he knows will rile up Bills fans.

So, does Carpenter get cut? It's crazy because he's been so good the last few years, dealt with an injury, and now is missing 50% of his FGs. And Rex clearly is not a fan.

I love Tim Graham - He's broken alot of great stories, He's one of the few that engages with trolls hating on him. Far better than Jerry Sullivan.

Matthew Collar is a giant dork - He rarely has a take that has any merit. I found it quite humerous he never played sports.

So, does Carpenter get cut? It's crazy because he's been so good the last few years, dealt with an injury, and now is missing 50% of his FGs. And Rex clearly is not a fan.
What kind of sucks is him being signed through 2017 - and a lot of dead money if they cut him, however they could take in that getting a kicker that ALSO does kick off duties will save some of that dead money cap hit.

It's a back loaded contract which jumps to over 2m a year in 16 and 17.

Steve Tasker said:
GroveDiesel said:
Sure seems like the whole "went rogue" thing was hugely overblown. I'm guessing one person didn't agree with the move, got in Tim Graham's ear and the rest was a media joyride.

I'm not a Tim Graham hater, but the dude sure does seem awfully gleeful breaking news he knows will rile up Bills fans.
He's no Mike Rodak. Patriots fan, reporting Bills news and generally always has a negative one liner at the end of them.

Such a troll.

Don't follow the team that closely (obviously a Panthers fan), but I thought the 16th pick on EJ was a Buddy Nix call, not Whaley? Didn't Nix want a QB as his legacy or whatever?

And Kiko is having issues with his knee, so the book's not closed there, but... I don't think they necessarily used their assets that wisely there.

One look at the Julio trade shows how the Watkins thing *could* work out in the future (Cleveland has nothing to show for that now).

Just playing devil's advocate... you guys have a pretty stout roster and a decent coaching staff now (it would seem). I doubt your new owner is going to let an incompetent GM (if he turns out to be so) derail your progress for an extended period.
Yes that was Buddy Nix pick' he's on record saying he wanted to pick a QB on his way out and Whaley was in on it and won't throw Nix under the bus as he's still a part time-retired scout that comes around every once in awhile and respected around the league.

I don't get the Mike Rodak hate....I know he's not a Buffalo guy but a lot of reporters aren't. Jerry Sullivan is from Boston. Howard Simon is from Long Island. Honestly I feel kinda bad for Mike Rodak, if you look at his Twitter it's just insufferable #BillsMafia people giving him ####.

I don't get the Mike Rodak hate....I know he's not a Buffalo guy but a lot of reporters aren't. Jerry Sullivan is from Boston. Howard Simon is from Long Island. Honestly I feel kinda bad for Mike Rodak, if you look at his Twitter it's just insufferable #BillsMafia people giving him ####.
I mean he deserves most of it. He's a beat reporter for ESPN just give me the Bills news. However himself and I believe Miami's guy (whose bounced around teams) Seem to just troll for the fun of it. Who knows maybe they are told to but he's a definate unfollow. Besides he gets all his info from Vic anyways and he generally reports first.

If we cut Carpenter, it will guarantee that our playoff hopes come down to Week 17 and we lose in the closing seconds by missing what would have been a game-winning field goal. You know it, I know it, and all Bills fans know it.

How you guys feeling about week 1? I see everybody is hot to roll with the NYJ DST. Kinda makes sense given the QB situation & Shady's uncertain status.

Still, I wouldn't bet against Rex in his first game against his old team. Personally I think the Bills are going smack the Jets around. Should be low scoring, right?

If we cut Carpenter, it will guarantee that our playoff hopes come down to Week 17 and we lose in the closing seconds by missing what would have been a game-winning field goal. You know it, I know it, and all Bills fans know it.
But this is OUR YEAR!

How you guys feeling about week 1? I see everybody is hot to roll with the NYJ DST. Kinda makes sense given the QB situation & Shady's uncertain status.

Still, I wouldn't bet against Rex in his first game against his old team. Personally I think the Bills are going smack the Jets around. Should be low scoring, right?
Indy is Week 1, They are missing Arthur Jones. If you drafted McCoy you have to play him if he plays. He'll likely be on a pitch count. It's tough to see how the gameflow will go vs Indy in the home opener.

Bobby go home, you're drunk.

I mean he deserves most of it. He's a beat reporter for ESPN just give me the Bills news. However himself and I believe Miami's guy (whose bounced around teams) Seem to just troll for the fun of it. Who knows maybe they are told to but he's a definate unfollow. Besides he gets all his info from Vic anyways and he generally reports first.
Yeah, I agree on James Walker. I used to follow him when he was the AFC East beat writer, but now that he's the full-time Dolphins guy I've unfollowed.

Bills play Indy in week 1.

Roster at 57

The 16 player releases and McKelvin and Thompson designations means Buffalo’s roster currently stands at 57, so there will need to be four more releases to get to the necessary figure of 53 by 4 pm Saturday.

Here is the list of player releases.

OL William Campbell
FB John Conner
WR Andre Davis
DE IK Enemkpali
DT Andre Fluellen
LB Quentin Groves
RB Bronson Hill
OL Darryl Johnson
OL Alex Kupper
DE B.J. Larsen
WR Dezmin Lewis
CB Merrill Noel
WR Tobais Palmer
G Cyril Richardson
QB Matt Simms
RB Cierre Wood

WWW.BUFFALOBILLS.COM

The Bills began the process of reducing their roster to the required 53 with 16 player releases Friday. They also placed CB Leodis McKelvin on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury list and WR Deonte Thompson was waived-injured.

McKelvin’s new designation (he had been on Active/PUP) means that he no longer counts toward a roster spot. The earliest he could return to the active roster would be the Tuesday after Week 6 (Oct. 13). The veteran cornerback suffered a setback this summer in his rehabilitation from ankle surgery after breaking it in a Week 11 game last season at Miami. He spent most of training camp with his ankle in a cast.

He’s been out of that cast for two weeks, but has still spent a good deal of time with his right foot in an immobilizer boot. Though McKelvin has been recently cleared to ride a stationary bike without the boot on it became clear that he was not going to be ready for the regular season opener. The Reserve/NFI designation gives him time to fully recover and get into game shape.

After Week 6, McKelvin would be able to begin practicing with the team again. The team would not have to add him to the active roster right away. He could practice with the team for a period of 21 days before the Bills would have to make the decision to add him to the active roster or put him on season-ending injured reserve.

The loss of McKelvin for the first six weeks will put the spotlight squarely on Bills top pick Ronald Darby. Darby has started all four preseason games and has learned a few hard lessons, but head coach believes in him completely as a player.

Buffalo faces two of the most prolific passers in the league the first two weeks of the season in Andrew Luck and Tom Brady, who combined for 77 touchdown passes last year. Indianapolis was the number one passing team in the NFL in 2014, so Darby will be tested early and often.

Among the more notable players released by the Bills Friday were former fifth-round pick Cyril Richardson, DE IK Enemkpali and QB Matt Simms. The 16 player releases and McKelvin and Thompson designations means Buffalo’s roster currently stands at 58, so there will need to be five more releases to get to the necessary figure of 53 by 4 pm Saturday.

Here is the list of player releases.

OLWilliam CampbellFB John Conner

WR Andre Davis

DE IK Enemkpali

DT Andre Fluellen

LB Quentin Groves

RB Bronson Hill

OL Darryl Johnson

OL Alex Kupper

DE B.J. Larsen

CB Merrill Noel

WR Tobais Palmer

G Cyril Richardson

QB Matt Simms

RB Cierre Wood

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Leodis-McKelvin-to-ReserveNFI-as-Bills-release-16/df61b241-ef1d-456a-a22a-cd06ea2c309f?campaign=fb_buf_article

O'leary, Cassel, Thigpen, Goodwin, Hogan, Meeks, Rambo, Gay

I'd still cut Cassel, O'leary, Goodwin and I wish they didn't need Gay.

O'leary, Cassel, Thigpen, Goodwin, Hogan, Meeks, Rambo, Gay

I'd still cut Cassel, O'leary, Goodwin and I wish they didn't need Gay.
Thigpen, Goodwin, Hogan, and Rambo seem like keepers to me.
Agree on all but Goodwin.

Kevin Reddick still on the roster after good game last night.

Tarpley as well and Dalton Freeman recently added.
Tarpley may be the top backup at ILB now with Steward injured, although Randell Johnson could likely fill in there too.

WR is tough. Top-3 are all set. Hogan had a bad camp and is hurt, but looked good enough last year to hold onto IMO. Goodwin appears to have improved and love having his speed available, but he's also injured and likely fragile. Thigpen and Easley are studs on special teams. I guess they could get by with Hogan at WR4 and then Thigpen/Easley behind them. Would be nice to keep some of the WRs they cut on the practice squad.

Users who are viewing this thread