What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (2 Viewers)

While I agree with you about the playoff expectations, you have to look at it from the players' points of view. The fact that through all the BS, chaos, tragedy and all the other obstacles they had to overcome, they are at the doorstep of the playoffs. I for one am completely shocked they are here. Says a lot about the chemistry in the locker room. Without a HC, the players are at least taking ownership. For that I give them credit.
I give the players a ton of credit and respect for playing hard every game no matter what crappy situation has unfolded that week.   

I will always be a Raider fan and hope the organization gets it act together this offseason.   With a couple of strong draft classes, the team will compete with most teams in the league.   

I give the players a ton of credit and respect for playing hard every game no matter what crappy situation has unfolded that week.   

I will always be a Raider fan and hope the organization gets it act together this offseason.   With a couple of strong draft classes, the team will compete with most teams in the league.   
I'm right there with you. I figured the season was lost after the embarrassment in KC and the silly loss vs WFT. Years past, the team would have faded. It's a nice change to see some wins in December. You're right, they're a few players (solid draft picks) away. A month ago I would have said blow it all up and start over. Not anymore... I actually wouldn't change anything, especially if they make the playoffs. I'd even keep Olsen, only because of his strong rapport with Carr. 

Bruno2 said:
I'm right there with you. I figured the season was lost after the embarrassment in KC and the silly loss vs WFT. Years past, the team would have faded. It's a nice change to see some wins in December. You're right, they're a few players (solid draft picks) away. A month ago I would have said blow it all up and start over. Not anymore... I actually wouldn't change anything, especially if they make the playoffs. I'd even keep Olsen, only because of his strong rapport with Carr. 
I think there needs to be a fair amount of personnel moves made and hope the Raiders make bold moves even if they are not popular.  Move out players that are getting long in the tooth.   Olsen should go and I expect a new HC too.   

Bruno2 said:
All true, but nobody has mentioned he was making some tough catches too. He was no James Jett clone, he was rounding into a very good WR. Such a shame we will never get to see it. 
Totally agree

If they make the playoffs, I don't see Davis changing the coaching staff at all unless someone leaves voluntarily. Isn't Carr allowed to make audibles and  change plays as he sees fit anyway? Maybe not to the extent of a Peyton Manning, but isn't he pretty much running the offense on the field? Olsen is just in his ear. I might be completely wrong, but I think Olsen is more of an "advisor ", suggesting plays but Carr makes the final call based on what he sees the defense doing. 

I think Davis makes a change at HC.  He is going to want to correct the ship completely post Gruden, and retaining Gruden's hires doesn't accomplish that.   I see him chasing a big name and paying him.  He has that track record already with Gruden and his recent hire for his WNBA team. 

The rumors of Harbaugh leaving Michigan are quite interesting to me.  He has ties to the Raiders organization, is a friend of Davis, and may be drawn to a team who has stability at the QB position (Carr).    Of course, he also has pretty strong ties to the Bears organization and may want to take on the opportunity of developing Fields as a pro. 

**edited to add**
Davis has been in the position of replacing Gruden in the past as well, in 2002 they retained the OC Callahan as the new HC.  That decision didn't work out too well.  Coach B might be up against it if Davis tries to re-write the past. 

Last edited by a moderator:
**edited to add**
Davis has been in the position of replacing Gruden in the past as well, in 2002 they retained the OC Callahan as the new HC.  That decision didn't work out too well.  Coach B might be up against it if Davis tries to re-write the past. 
I doubt Mark had any involvement whatsoever in 2002.  Al had complete control of everything.

I doubt Mark had any involvement whatsoever in 2002.  Al had complete control of everything.

Fair point.  While he may not have been in position to make the decision to keep Callahan or not, he certainly would have been there to experience to SB loss and failing of the season immediately after that. 

Fair point.  While he may not have been in position to make the decision to keep Callahan or not, he certainly would have been there to experience to SB loss and failing of the season immediately after that. 
Yes, you're right it definitely could shape how he thinks.

I just don't think he had any say at all in any meaningful decisions while Al was around.  I recall hearing a story about how he was in the draft room one year and Al asked him who he thought the pick should be and when he didn't say who Al was thinking he was told to leave.  I have no idea if it's true or not, but it wouldn't shock me if it was.  

I think Davis makes a change at HC.  He is going to want to correct the ship completely post Gruden, and retaining Gruden's hires doesn't accomplish that.   I see him chasing a big name and paying him.  He has that track record already with Gruden and his recent hire for his WNBA team. 

The rumors of Harbaugh leaving Michigan are quite interesting to me.  He has ties to the Raiders organization, is a friend of Davis, and may be drawn to a team who has stability at the QB position (Carr).    Of course, he also has pretty strong ties to the Bears organization and may want to take on the opportunity of developing Fields as a pro. 

**edited to add**
I’m with you.   The Raiders may sneak into the playoffs.  Yippee!  Is that enough to keep the interim HC?  I don’t think so.  With the Hobbs situation unfolding this week I think it is even more important that the Raiders get a true leader of men.  

Now that we see what happens in Vegas doesn’t stay in Vegas, this .org needs to be run like the Patriots. You are a team player or you are shown the door.  It will cause much disappointment when good players are moved out but this team will not move forward if they continue to operate in the same manner.  The players do what they want and don’t care about the team.   It may be old school and will scare some players away but those players are not the long term solution.  The Raiders should be learning from their mistakes as shown by AB, M Bryant. Ruggs, and now Hobbs.  Hobbs should be given an ultimatum that any more screw ups won’t be tolerated.   

It is time for Davis to make some tough decisions and to think a few years out.  His staff must think in the same manner.  Quit drafting players and signing free agents with serious character flaws or players that are too old to be reliable.   Don’t go for the quick fix like AB.  Draft a WR1.  Don’t reach for offensive tackles.   Draft BPA.  

From the press conference today Coach B said they expect Hobbs to be available for the game.  The issue is currently a legal matter. 

DocHolliday said:
You are hilarious.   Dallas and Minny were not sorry that they ended up with Lamb and Jefferson instead of  Ruggs on draft day and were thrilled even more as last season unfolded.   They have to be really happy with their decision this season too, even before Ruggs was busy killing people. Now the decision looks so bad for the Raiders that we really should try to forget him rather than defend the draft pick every day.   Sadly, Ruggs was not even close to being the worst draft pick in the last 3 years.  

Next we are going to hear that Cincy would rather have Ruggs over Chase because Ruggs would really open up the O for Boyd and Higgins.   
You continue to view the Ruggs pick through the lens of 20:20 hindsight relating to the tragedy.

Was there a scouting report that indicated he was a character risk? I honestly don't know the answer to that but your posts make me think there was.

You are hilarious.   Dallas and Minny were not sorry that they ended up with Lamb and Jefferson instead of  Ruggs on draft day and were thrilled even more as last season unfolded.   They have to be really happy with their decision this season too, even before Ruggs was busy killing people. Now the decision looks so bad for the Raiders that we really should try to forget him rather than defend the draft pick every day.   Sadly, Ruggs was not even close to being the worst draft pick in the last 3 years.  

Next we are going to hear that Cincy would rather have Ruggs over Chase because Ruggs would really open up the O for Boyd and Higgins.   

Here is a different perspective which shows just how little we expect from the Raiders.   If the Raiders sneak into the playoffs, many fans are going to be ecstatic.  Steeler fans are used to winning and consider the season a failure even if they sneak into the playoffs.   Some fans are even calling for the removal of Tomlin.   
The difference in the offensive play is either losing Gruden or losing Ruggs. Pick one. 

Both ,but the players make the plays ,so Ruggs was the bigger hit IMO
Someone may need to do a wellness check on Doc... being presented a choice of either Gruden or Ruggs absence causing the decline on the offense may have caused catastrophic health problems. 

You quoted @ZADO 🤣🤣🤣

doc’s fine. 
I know... he hasn't responded. The question could have potentially blew his grey matter holder. The two Raiders he has the most contempt for and the loss of at least one, if not both, clearly has caused the offense to noticeably be less effective.

I know... he hasn't responded. The question could have potentially blew his grey matter holder. The two Raiders he has the most contempt for and the loss of at least one, if not both, clearly has caused the offense to noticeably be less effective.
Sorry that I didn’t pay attention to this thread for a few hours.   It’s great to be missed!  

Ruggs was a good WR and opened things up for the Raiders O.  He was fast and had great hands but was not the correct draft choice when Lamb was available.  99% of football fans would agree with me. 

Ruggs was a much bigger loss than Gruden.  Losing Gruden was a positive for the Raiders.   Gruden and his drafting were pitiful.  

Sorry that I didn’t pay attention to this thread for a few hours.   It’s great to be missed!  

Ruggs was a good WR and opened things up for the Raiders O.  He was fast and had great hands but was not the correct draft choice when Lamb was available.  99% of football fans would agree with me. 

Ruggs was a much bigger loss than Gruden.  Losing Gruden was a positive for the Raiders.   Gruden and his drafting were pitiful.  
Okay, maybe Lamb would have been a better pick (maybe), it doesn't mean Ruggs was a bad pick.  I'm pretty sure you know that.

With Ruggs 5-2: 26 PPG, 308 pass ypg, 85 rush ypg

Without Ruggs: 4-5, 18 PPG, 249 pass ypg, 94 rush ypg 5-5, 20 PPG, 236 pass ypg, 100 rush ypg

Last edited by a moderator:
So IF the Raiders get a free pass into the playoffs(Indy lost,waiting on Pitt ) do they rest their starters ?

Ticker just said that both Waller and Jacobs will play. All hands on deck! Great/crazy day of football so far 

FOUND THIS 

Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

Adam Beasley

@AdamHBeasley

Here's something totally bonkers: If the Colts lose to the Jaguars Sunday, the Raiders and Chargers would both get in with a tie. Literally, there would be no motivation for either team to do anything other than kneel it out 15 times each.

FOUND THIS 

Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

Adam Beasley

@AdamHBeasley

Here's something totally bonkers: If the Colts lose to the Jaguars Sunday, the Raiders and Chargers would both get in with a tie. Literally, there would be no motivation for either team to do anything other than kneel it out 15 times each.
There a whole thread in the shark pool on this fairy tale scenario. Funny idea though. 

Raiders need to win because they need to win. What other teams do or don't do is irrelevant.

Stacking wins is the priority ATM.

i THINK both Chargers and Raiders get in if that happens ,i could be wrong,but Raiders are 100 % in under that scenario 
Basically if Pitt loses now, the Raiders are in. And our old friend Latavius Murray is at RB for Balt driving towards the Red Zone

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

The #Raiders and #Chargers are in the playoffs with a tie, thanks to the #Colts loss. Will this change LAC’s approach? “We’re going to compete as a team to the best of our ability,” coach Brandon Staley texted me. So, game on.

4:47 PM · Jan 9, 2022

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

The #Raiders and #Chargers are in the playoffs with a tie, thanks to the #Colts loss. Will this change LAC’s approach? “We’re going to compete as a team to the best of our ability,” coach Brandon Staley texted me. So, game on.

4:47 PM · Jan 9, 2022
c'mon. Does anyone expect any professional football team to not play to win to guarantee their spot in the playoffs. This talk is just silly beyond anything more than a fairy tale movie scenario. 

c'mon. Does anyone expect any professional football team to not play to win to guarantee their spot in the playoffs. This talk is just silly beyond anything more than a fairy tale movie scenario. 
I agree BUT what if it gets late in OT and both teams want to avoid injuries? I don't condone it and don't think it would happen, but it's more plausible than kneeling the whole game.

I agree BUT what if it gets late in OT and both teams want to avoid injuries? I don't condone it and don't think it would happen, but it's more plausible than kneeling the whole game.
Ok. I’ll concede that IF it makes it to OT, AND it makes it LATE in OT, then they might play for the tie. 

Two runs for Jacobs for -3 yards from shotgun inside the 5.  He had zero carries from shotgun last two weeks and ran really well.  Thought they had finally figured this out, but I guess not.

Everyone knows when Mariota is in they are running him...when are they going to let him throw in that situation????

Users who are viewing this thread