What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Las Vegas Raiders - PLAYOFFS!!!! (1 Viewer)

La Confora puts doubt on Mayock being retained. 

“General manager Mike Mayock has had a difficult run of draft selections, with many top picks playing sparingly or out of the league entirely already, and the Raiders are looking to make changes on that side of the building,” La Canfora continued. “Two first round picks, Henry Ruggs III and Damon Arnette, were let go during the season for violations of the personal conduct policy. Sources said Mayock was nearly let go a year ago when Jon Gruden was still overseeing the organization.”

I am still confident that Mayock stays. I think chances are good Bisaccia stays too and if we win tomorrow then I would say that the chances go from being good to being a lock. Personally, I would like to see what Mayock does with the power being on his side and I think Bisaccia has earned being a HC in the league. He is unquestionably a leader of men. 

puts doubt on Mayock being retained. 

“General manager Mike Mayock has had a difficult run of draft selections, with many top picks playing sparingly or out of the league entirely already, and the Raiders are looking to make changes on that side of the building,” La Canfora continued. “Two first round picks, Henry Ruggs III and Damon Arnette, were let go during the season for violations of the personal conduct policy. Sources said Mayock was nearly let go a year ago when Jon Gruden was still overseeing the organization.”

I am still confident that Mayock stays. I think chances are good Bisaccia stays too and if we win tomorrow then I would say that the chances go from being good to being a lock. Personally, I would like to see what Mayock does with the power being on his side and I think Bisaccia has earned being a HC in the league. He is unquestionably a leader of men. 
I guess it comes down to what power he had regarding those top picks. If it was Gruden.  2019 and 2021 contain some later round gems, and the fill in/street free agents he's brought in this year, Fayson, Teamer, Perryman, et al have been playing a major role in our success. I'm not sure how locked in La Canfora is on the Raiders. 

I guess it comes down to what power he had regarding those top picks. If it was Gruden.  2019 and 2021 contain some later round gems, and the fill in/street free agents he's brought in this year, Fayson, Teamer, Perryman, et al have been playing a major role in our success. I'm not sure how locked in La Canfora is on the Raiders. 
I would say that Mayock has done better than MacKenzie and that is the only track record we have of Davis making decisions. I would be shocked if Mayock is replaced this off season. We know the hits and misses on draft picks but we don't know the decision making of those picks and Mayock's role in them all. Mayock is the kind of guy that will take responsibility and never lay blame elsewhere even if it isn't fair, so we may never know. From reading between the lines, I think Mayock likely wasn't the decision maker on many of the decisions that would lead to questioning if he stays or not. 

For Bisaccia, I could see a switch for a shiny new toy like Harbaugh, for example. Bisaccia isn't "sexy". He doesn’t have the track record or pedigree or past Raider connection. He is a ST coach which isn't exciting. He isn't some young wiz kid that is the new trend in the NFL right now. He is very calm and doesn't show much on the sidelines which is kind of boring. But... as outlined in this thread, this team has gone to hell and went through a tough schedule while losing key players and he has taken them to 10-7 and the playoffs when everyone counted them out. Every account raves about how the players love him and would do anything for him. He has this team. In the NFL, that seems to me to be the majority of what a HC needs to be successful. 

Does anyone else get a feeling that Coach B is the new Madden? I’m not sure why, they aren’t anything alike really. Coach B just gives me a Madden vibe. Right coach at the right time for this collection of players. I dunno, it just feels right for some reason.

Does anyone else get a feeling that Coach B is the new Madden? I’m not sure why, they aren’t anything alike really. Coach B just gives me a Madden vibe. Right coach at the right time for this collection of players. I dunno, it just feels right for some reason.
They could be polar opposite for all I care as long as he has the success that Madden did. They are very different people other than the fact that players loved Madden too. I do agree, he does seem like the right coach for sure right now. His reserved and relaxed demeanor has to help calm the stormy seas that they have sailed this year. 

Heard somewhere that Harbaugh and Fangio, forgot they were together in SF, will likely be a package if harbaugh comes back to the NFL. That would be nice in black and silver

I know Mayock has had his misses, and most recently acknowledged such with the release of Arnette.  In my opinion, Gruden is a terrible evaluator of talent albeit the most obvious, but usually just past their usable prime.  I feel like Mayock should be given an opportunity to build this team without the influence of Gruden and see what happens.

Heard somewhere that Harbaugh and Fangio, forgot they were together in SF, will likely be a package if harbaugh comes back to the NFL. That would be nice in black and silver
I am not sure I want Maxx as an 3-4 OLB but Fangio may not be good as a HC but he is bona fide as a DC for sure. It would fit Kwiat again... unsure about the rest of the defense. I would have to put more thought into it if it happens. 

The NFL playoffs kick off Saturday afternoon with Raiders-Bengals, and Post columnist Steve Serby caught up with Las Vegas wide receiver Hunter Renfrow for some Q&A: 

Q: Sum up Raiders interim head coach Rich Bisaccia. 

A: Rich Bisaccia is a leader of men. He is an unbelievable guy. He cares about us. Part of the reason why we want to win, and a lot of the reasons, is not for us, it’s for him. That’s the type of person he is, we want to do anything to see him succeed, because he cares for us on a personal level more so than a professional level. And I know that’s hard to do in the NFL, with people changing and everything going on, but I can’t tell you how many times people have been cut and he just called to check on ’em, make sure they know what they’re doing with their next move, and give ’em advice … he’s just a really great guy, and you want to see him succeed.

Q: You guys would like to play for him next year? 

A: Without a doubt. I think we need to get that narrative going more and more. 

Q: This has been such a turbulent season in Las Vegas. What were your thoughts on Jon Gruden (forced to resign after racist, homophonic and sexist emails were revealed) and Henry Ruggs III (drunk-driving car crash that resulted in a woman’s death)? 

A: Obviously, we love Coach Gruden a lot. He definitely shouldn’t have said the things that he said. It was definitely a different world when he said ’em to an extent. But he’s a great guy, and we all make mistakes. I think instead of pushing people down when they make mistakes, let’s try to help ’em back up. He’s not a bad person. Hopefully he gets another chance, eventually. 

And then, Henry is the same way. Henry has never shown any signs of making a mistake, especially like that. We love Henry as well. Just because his mistake was more costly than the mistakes I make, I don’t think you condemn people for that. It’s definitely a tough situation. And situations they’re both gonna have to pay consequences for. But it’s been tough on the guys on the team. 

Q: What do you like best about this Cardiac Kids Raiders team? 

A: It reminds me of the 2016 national championship team at Clemson; we won seven games by a touchdown or less. These overtime games, it builds a mentality of we can overcome anything, and we can piece anything together at the end of the game, no matter how the beginning is going, just get us to overtime and we’ll have a chance. 

Q: What makes Derek Carr tick? 

A: I think his relationship with Christ definitely makes him tick. He understands that the game of football is important but it’s not the most important thing in life. He understands his priorities, so there’s a lot of freedom that comes with that. You don’t have to play uptight, you don’t have to worry about all the questions of how this affects his legacy or if he makes a bad throw on how people will respond because he knows who he is. And then in the huddle, he’s the same guy every day. … Same guy on fourth down with the season on the line as he is on a Wednesday walk-through practice. Just a great guy, and someone we can all trust and look to in hard times. 

Q: How would you describe his leadership style? 

A: Definitely lead by example. Just his consistency every single day. But in addition to that, he can call people out when he needs to. He does a good job of not trying to show people up in front of one another, but if there’s something that needs to be said, he will address it, but a lot of times he’ll address it in private with that person so that they don’t feel some type of way. 

Q: Darren Waller? 

A: I didn’t know him before when he was in Baltimore, obviously, but just the stories I’ve heard where he’s come from [alcohol and opioid addiction] and really how he’s developed these last three years, he’s been such a leader for this team, a voice to talk to if anything’s gone wrong. He’s one of the best teammates I’ve ever had. He’s developed into a person that I know he’s proud of. 

Q: Mad Maxx Crosby? 

A: He’s a very low-key superstar. He doesn’t require anything, he just comes to work every day, puts in the work, gives everything he has every single day, and then you see that out on the field. He never complains, he never has a bad day, he just goes out and is his best every single day, and it’s inspiration to watch. 

Q: What does your 103-catch season mean to you? 

A: It’s cool to be mentioned with Darren and Tim Brown, and those guys, but for me, I could care less. That’s not why I play the game. 

Q: What are you most proud of as a receiver? 

A: Just being my best whenever the team needs me. Whether it’s a big game, small game, doesn’t matter, they’re all big. And whether it’s the first quarter or the fourth quarter, I try to be the same guy. I don’t care if there’s one person at the game (laugh), it’s COVID and there’s nobody at the game, or there’s 80,000, it really doesn’t matter, I’m gonna give everything I have for my teammates. 

Q: If I wanted to build the perfect receiver, what should I take from Hunter Renfrow? 

A: I know this is not a technical answer, but just the ability to dream … the ability to look out and believe past my current circumstances … not where I am, but where I want to be. And then have the vision to go out and do everything I can to achieve it. If it’s get open against this guy, or I want to run a certain route like this, it really bothers me until I can accomplish it. 

Q: Why did you have to walk on at Clemson? 

A: I had to walk on ’cause I was 5-foot-10, 150 pounds soaking wet. I had a long way to go. I really didn’t have any less confidence just walking on, maybe more confidence because I had way more freedom. Clemson didn’t owe me anything. And I didn’t owe them anything in terms of scholarship, and so I could go out there and just have the time of my life and get better every day and not have to put any results in at first. 

Q: Describe the feeling of catching that 2-yard TD pass from Deshaun Watson with one second left against Alabama that won Clemson the 2016 national championship. 

A: Just a dream come true. I was a Clemson fan growing up. My mom went to Clemson, my granddad went to Clemson, and so in that moment, I was just as much of a fan as I was a player. I was having the time of my life and I wasn’t really thinking about repercussions, you know if I were to drop the ball or anything like that. I would just go out there and try to make a play for my teammates. 

Q: Were you the first read? 

A: I was. It’s interesting, we ran that play for the first touchdown in the spring game that year. So it was the first touchdown and the last touchdown so it was pretty neat. 

Q: Tell me about the doubters and how that motivates you. 

A: There’s always doubters, there’s still doubters. There’s doubters I’m sure every time you post an article, right, that say, “That wasn’t a very good article, you didn’t dig in deep enough.” We all have doubters, it’s just who you choose to listen to. I try to listen to ’em when I need some motivation, but whenever I don’t need motivation like most of the time, I just go out there and listen to myself, listen to my teammates, and that’s really all that matters. 

Q: Can you give me an example of a time where you needed the motivation? 

A: I used to go back on the message boards in college every now and then. Clemson has their message boards, whether it’s Tiger Illustrated or TigerNet or something like that. If I thought I had a little bit of success, I’d go read what people wrote about how I’d never play at Clemson or how I should never be on the field over this guy or that guy, this 5-star or that 5-star, and that just gives you a little motivation. In the summertime when I’m working out, or whenever I’m dreaming about the season, I definitely keep that in the back of my mind. 

Q: Your on-field mentality? 

A: My mentality is just to take what they give me. Don’t do too much. 

Q: Do you study guys like Cooper Kupp and Davante Adams? 

A: I definitely watch ’em. During the season, I take things that they do schematically similar to us, and try to take things and work on routes and kinda think about how they ran ’em and how I can apply it to my game. I love watching Cooper Kupp. He’s changing the game somewhat with how he does things outside his frame. Davante’s a little different receiver than I am. But it’s still fun watching how easily he gets open with such a little effort (chuckle). 

Q: If you can pick the brain of any receiver in NFL history? 

A: Being a Raider, probably Freddie B [Biletnikoff]. I do get to ask him a lot of questions ’cause he’s at practice a lot. I’m kinda spoiled. 

Q: If you can test your skills against any cornerback in history? 

A: Probably no one good, ’cause I want to win (chuckle). Growing up, Darrelle Revis was the best. And Charles Woodson, being a Raider legend, would be pretty cool as well. 

Q: Are you aware there were 16 receivers drafted ahead of you in 2019? 

A: I was not. I knew there was a bunch. 

Q: Do you track any of their careers? 

A: Yeah, I track some of ’em just because from a competitor standpoint you want to beat ’em. But I’m not sitting here looking back, I’m just trying to be the best I can be, and I really mean that. On draft day, I was not comparing myself to others. I just wanted the chance, I didn’t know if I was gonna get drafted at all. 

Q: Deshaun Watson? 

A: When I think of him, I think of just him being poised all the time and just laser-like focus when the game’s on the line. He got better as the game went. 

Q: Trevor Lawrence? 

A: I think even more laid-back than Deshaun. So the difference was Deshaun, when the switch got flipped, he was laser-like focused, Trevor never had to like flip the switch, he was always just so laid-back, regardless if it was the biggest moment, regardless of whatever happened. He was always just the same laid-back person. But Trevor’s an awesome human being. I love Trevor. 

Q: How good can he be? 

A: He’s amazing. I think one of the best things for him this year was going out, just slinging it, getting a bunch of picks … obviously that’s a blueprint for success in the NFL if you can come back the next year and show that you’ve improved. I think Peyton Manning did it, and some other guys. I think the best thing for him this year was to just throw and see what he could get away with, and then just get some continuity around him ’cause if he could do that, he showed in the last game against the Colts he’s gonna be special. 

Q: Tee Higgins, you’ll be facing him on Saturday. 

A: Tee is a superstar. Great ball skills, a great person as well, just fun-loving, nice to everybody. And then as a player, he’s fast and he’s twitchy, but the thing that jumps out to me about Tee is he can track the ball and make great catches last minute and turn his body, can torque his body to make those catches, which is something that a lot of people his size can’t do. 

Q: You played with Dexter Lawrence at Clemson. 

A: Great guy, loves to compete, and really just a big teddy bear if you get to know him. 

Q: Do you think you could have played Major League Baseball? 

A: I do. I don’t say that in a cocky sense. I was not really a power guy. I played center field and I took really good angles at the ball and I got really good jumps off the bat. And a decent base-runner. But I was definitely a contact guy, and my strength was definitely getting reads off the bat and getting good jumps on the ball. 

Q: What drives you? 

A: Family. My daughter, my wife and then my brothers and sisters and extended family and all that. Everyone involved. 

Q: Boyhood idol? 

A: Probably Sammy Watkins. He went to Clemson, he was like my favorite receiver. He was just like a legend to me. 

Q: Raiders fans? 

A: Raider fans are loyal. They don’t even know sometimes why they’re cheering, they’re so loyal. 

Q: (Brewers outfielder) Hunter Renfroe the baseball player? 

A: I’ll get some people tweeting at me and he’ll get some people tweeting at him whenever we have good games. That’s how we know our counterpart had done well. 

Q: Three dinner guests? 

A: Jesus Christ; George Washington; Alexander The Great. 

Q: Favorite movie? 

A: “The Patriot.” 

Q: Favorite actor? 

A: Steve Carell. 

Q: Favorite meal? 

A: Chicken fingers and rice and gravy. 

Q: What kind of atmosphere are you expecting in Cincinnati? 

A: Cold (laugh). But it’s kinda like taking a test, you get so locked in that you don’t even realize what’s going on around you. 

Q: How would you characterize the mindset of your team right now? 

A: The mindset of our team is anything can happen. Let’s go win this week and then just take one week at a time. 

https://nypost.com/2022/01/14/hunter-renfrow-talks-raiders-playoff-game-and-jon-gruden/

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that Mayock has done better than MacKenzie and that is the only track record we have of Davis making decisions. I would be shocked if Mayock is replaced this off season. We know the hits and misses on draft picks but we don't know the decision making of those picks and Mayock's role in them all. Mayock is the kind of guy that will take responsibility and never lay blame elsewhere even if it isn't fair, so we may never know. From reading between the lines, I think Mayock likely wasn't the decision maker on many of the decisions that would lead to questioning if he stays or not. 

For Bisaccia, I could see a switch for a shiny new toy like Harbaugh, for example. Bisaccia isn't "sexy". He doesn’t have the track record or pedigree or past Raider connection. He is a ST coach which isn't exciting. He isn't some young wiz kid that is the new trend in the NFL right now. He is very calm and doesn't show much on the sidelines which is kind of boring. But... as outlined in this thread, this team has gone to hell and went through a tough schedule while losing key players and he has taken them to 10-7 and the playoffs when everyone counted them out. Every account raves about how the players love him and would do anything for him. He has this team. In the NFL, that seems to me to be the majority of what a HC needs to be successful. 
Just my opinion from info I've pick up on over the years from press conferences and news outlets: I believe Gruden was 100% the one calling the shots for the draft picks in the first two rounds. After that, he handed the draft over to Mayock. And if this is true, then Mayock deserves to keep his job because the Raiders drafted way better in those mid rounds where it seems Mayock was probably in more control than in the early rounds. 

As for McKenzie vs Mayock debate: Its a tough call. Reggie has the best 3 draft picks this organization has had in the past 20 years in Mack, Carr and Cooper. His downfall was he couldn't build a defense around Mack. And he couldn't scout DBs to save his life. Drafting guys like Hayden, Conley, Joseph and Obi. And signing free agent bums like Smith and Amerson.

At least Mayock nailed his mid to late round picks. Crosby, Renfrow, Moreau, Simpson, Hobbs and I'll throw Diablo in there too because he's been playing a lot lately. Add in Mullen and Moehrig, all these guys are making a huge impact on this roster and wouldn't be in the playoffs without them. Jacobs being the only 1st round pick having an impact. Ruggs gets an asterisk in my opinion. 

After writing this and thinking about it, I think Mayock does have an edge over McKenzie, and hey, we're in the playoffs without a head coach. GO RAIDERS!

Just my opinion from info I've pick up on over the years from press conferences and news outlets: I believe Gruden was 100% the one calling the shots for the draft picks in the first two rounds. After that, he handed the draft over to Mayock. And if this is true, then Mayock deserves to keep his job because the Raiders drafted way better in those mid rounds where it seems Mayock was probably in more control than in the early rounds. 

As for McKenzie vs Mayock debate: Its a tough call. Reggie has the best 3 draft picks this organization has had in the past 20 years in Mack, Carr and Cooper. His downfall was he couldn't build a defense around Mack. And he couldn't scout DBs to save his life. Drafting guys like Hayden, Conley, Joseph and Obi. And signing free agent bums like Smith and Amerson.

At least Mayock nailed his mid to late round picks. Crosby, Renfrow, Moreau, Simpson, Hobbs and I'll throw Diablo in there too because he's been playing a lot lately. Add in Mullen and Moehrig, all these guys are making a huge impact on this roster and wouldn't be in the playoffs without them. Jacobs being the only 1st round pick having an impact. Ruggs gets an asterisk in my opinion. 

After writing this and thinking about it, I think Mayock does have an edge over McKenzie, and hey, we're in the playoffs without a head coach. GO RAIDERS!
Add Koonce who looks good getting limited reserve snaps as a rookie. 

The NFL playoffs kick off Saturday afternoon with Raiders-Bengals, and Post columnist Steve Serby caught up with Las Vegas wide receiver Hunter Renfrow for some Q&A: 

Q: Sum up Raiders interim head coach Rich Bisaccia. 

A: Rich Bisaccia is a leader of men. He is an unbelievable guy. He cares about us. Part of the reason why we want to win, and a lot of the reasons, is not for us, it’s for him. That’s the type of person he is, we want to do anything to see him succeed, because he cares for us on a personal level more so than a professional level. And I know that’s hard to do in the NFL, with people changing and everything going on, but I can’t tell you how many times people have been cut and he just called to check on ’em, make sure they know what they’re doing with their next move, and give ’em advice … he’s just a really great guy, and you want to see him succeed.

Q: You guys would like to play for him next year? 

A: Without a doubt. I think we need to get that narrative going more and more. 

Q: This has been such a turbulent season in Las Vegas. What were your thoughts on Jon Gruden (forced to resign after racist, homophonic and sexist emails were revealed) and Henry Ruggs III (drunk-driving car crash that resulted in a woman’s death)? 

A: Obviously, we love Coach Gruden a lot. He definitely shouldn’t have said the things that he said. It was definitely a different world when he said ’em to an extent. But he’s a great guy, and we all make mistakes. I think instead of pushing people down when they make mistakes, let’s try to help ’em back up. He’s not a bad person. Hopefully he gets another chance, eventually. 

And then, Henry is the same way. Henry has never shown any signs of making a mistake, especially like that. We love Henry as well. Just because his mistake was more costly than the mistakes I make, I don’t think you condemn people for that. It’s definitely a tough situation. And situations they’re both gonna have to pay consequences for. But it’s been tough on the guys on the team. 

Q: What do you like best about this Cardiac Kids Raiders team? 

A: It reminds me of the 2016 national championship team at Clemson; we won seven games by a touchdown or less. These overtime games, it builds a mentality of we can overcome anything, and we can piece anything together at the end of the game, no matter how the beginning is going, just get us to overtime and we’ll have a chance. 

Q: What makes Derek Carr tick? 

A: I think his relationship with Christ definitely makes him tick. He understands that the game of football is important but it’s not the most important thing in life. He understands his priorities, so there’s a lot of freedom that comes with that. You don’t have to play uptight, you don’t have to worry about all the questions of how this affects his legacy or if he makes a bad throw on how people will respond because he knows who he is. And then in the huddle, he’s the same guy every day. … Same guy on fourth down with the season on the line as he is on a Wednesday walk-through practice. Just a great guy, and someone we can all trust and look to in hard times. 

Q: How would you describe his leadership style? 

A: Definitely lead by example. Just his consistency every single day. But in addition to that, he can call people out when he needs to. He does a good job of not trying to show people up in front of one another, but if there’s something that needs to be said, he will address it, but a lot of times he’ll address it in private with that person so that they don’t feel some type of way. 

Q: Darren Waller? 

A: I didn’t know him before when he was in Baltimore, obviously, but just the stories I’ve heard where he’s come from [alcohol and opioid addiction] and really how he’s developed these last three years, he’s been such a leader for this team, a voice to talk to if anything’s gone wrong. He’s one of the best teammates I’ve ever had. He’s developed into a person that I know he’s proud of. 

Q: Mad Maxx Crosby? 

A: He’s a very low-key superstar. He doesn’t require anything, he just comes to work every day, puts in the work, gives everything he has every single day, and then you see that out on the field. He never complains, he never has a bad day, he just goes out and is his best every single day, and it’s inspiration to watch. 

Q: What does your 103-catch season mean to you? 

A: It’s cool to be mentioned with Darren and Tim Brown, and those guys, but for me, I could care less. That’s not why I play the game. 

Q: What are you most proud of as a receiver? 

A: Just being my best whenever the team needs me. Whether it’s a big game, small game, doesn’t matter, they’re all big. And whether it’s the first quarter or the fourth quarter, I try to be the same guy. I don’t care if there’s one person at the game (laugh), it’s COVID and there’s nobody at the game, or there’s 80,000, it really doesn’t matter, I’m gonna give everything I have for my teammates. 

Q: If I wanted to build the perfect receiver, what should I take from Hunter Renfrow? 

A: I know this is not a technical answer, but just the ability to dream … the ability to look out and believe past my current circumstances … not where I am, but where I want to be. And then have the vision to go out and do everything I can to achieve it. If it’s get open against this guy, or I want to run a certain route like this, it really bothers me until I can accomplish it. 

Q: Why did you have to walk on at Clemson? 

A: I had to walk on ’cause I was 5-foot-10, 150 pounds soaking wet. I had a long way to go. I really didn’t have any less confidence just walking on, maybe more confidence because I had way more freedom. Clemson didn’t owe me anything. And I didn’t owe them anything in terms of scholarship, and so I could go out there and just have the time of my life and get better every day and not have to put any results in at first. 

Q: Describe the feeling of catching that 2-yard TD pass from Deshaun Watson with one second left against Alabama that won Clemson the 2016 national championship. 

A: Just a dream come true. I was a Clemson fan growing up. My mom went to Clemson, my granddad went to Clemson, and so in that moment, I was just as much of a fan as I was a player. I was having the time of my life and I wasn’t really thinking about repercussions, you know if I were to drop the ball or anything like that. I would just go out there and try to make a play for my teammates. 

Q: Were you the first read? 

A: I was. It’s interesting, we ran that play for the first touchdown in the spring game that year. So it was the first touchdown and the last touchdown so it was pretty neat. 

Q: Tell me about the doubters and how that motivates you. 

A: There’s always doubters, there’s still doubters. There’s doubters I’m sure every time you post an article, right, that say, “That wasn’t a very good article, you didn’t dig in deep enough.” We all have doubters, it’s just who you choose to listen to. I try to listen to ’em when I need some motivation, but whenever I don’t need motivation like most of the time, I just go out there and listen to myself, listen to my teammates, and that’s really all that matters. 

Q: Can you give me an example of a time where you needed the motivation? 

A: I used to go back on the message boards in college every now and then. Clemson has their message boards, whether it’s Tiger Illustrated or TigerNet or something like that. If I thought I had a little bit of success, I’d go read what people wrote about how I’d never play at Clemson or how I should never be on the field over this guy or that guy, this 5-star or that 5-star, and that just gives you a little motivation. In the summertime when I’m working out, or whenever I’m dreaming about the season, I definitely keep that in the back of my mind. 

Q: Your on-field mentality? 

A: My mentality is just to take what they give me. Don’t do too much. 

Q: Do you study guys like Cooper Kupp and Davante Adams? 

A: I definitely watch ’em. During the season, I take things that they do schematically similar to us, and try to take things and work on routes and kinda think about how they ran ’em and how I can apply it to my game. I love watching Cooper Kupp. He’s changing the game somewhat with how he does things outside his frame. Davante’s a little different receiver than I am. But it’s still fun watching how easily he gets open with such a little effort (chuckle). 

Q: If you can pick the brain of any receiver in NFL history? 

A: Being a Raider, probably Freddie B [Biletnikoff]. I do get to ask him a lot of questions ’cause he’s at practice a lot. I’m kinda spoiled. 

Q: If you can test your skills against any cornerback in history? 

A: Probably no one good, ’cause I want to win (chuckle). Growing up, Darrelle Revis was the best. And Charles Woodson, being a Raider legend, would be pretty cool as well. 

Q: Are you aware there were 16 receivers drafted ahead of you in 2019? 

A: I was not. I knew there was a bunch. 

Q: Do you track any of their careers? 

A: Yeah, I track some of ’em just because from a competitor standpoint you want to beat ’em. But I’m not sitting here looking back, I’m just trying to be the best I can be, and I really mean that. On draft day, I was not comparing myself to others. I just wanted the chance, I didn’t know if I was gonna get drafted at all. 

Q: Deshaun Watson? 

A: When I think of him, I think of just him being poised all the time and just laser-like focus when the game’s on the line. He got better as the game went. 

Q: Trevor Lawrence? 

A: I think even more laid-back than Deshaun. So the difference was Deshaun, when the switch got flipped, he was laser-like focused, Trevor never had to like flip the switch, he was always just so laid-back, regardless if it was the biggest moment, regardless of whatever happened. He was always just the same laid-back person. But Trevor’s an awesome human being. I love Trevor. 

Q: How good can he be? 

A: He’s amazing. I think one of the best things for him this year was going out, just slinging it, getting a bunch of picks … obviously that’s a blueprint for success in the NFL if you can come back the next year and show that you’ve improved. I think Peyton Manning did it, and some other guys. I think the best thing for him this year was to just throw and see what he could get away with, and then just get some continuity around him ’cause if he could do that, he showed in the last game against the Colts he’s gonna be special. 

Q: Tee Higgins, you’ll be facing him on Saturday. 

A: Tee is a superstar. Great ball skills, a great person as well, just fun-loving, nice to everybody. And then as a player, he’s fast and he’s twitchy, but the thing that jumps out to me about Tee is he can track the ball and make great catches last minute and turn his body, can torque his body to make those catches, which is something that a lot of people his size can’t do. 

Q: You played with Dexter Lawrence at Clemson. 

A: Great guy, loves to compete, and really just a big teddy bear if you get to know him. 

Q: Do you think you could have played Major League Baseball? 

A: I do. I don’t say that in a cocky sense. I was not really a power guy. I played center field and I took really good angles at the ball and I got really good jumps off the bat. And a decent base-runner. But I was definitely a contact guy, and my strength was definitely getting reads off the bat and getting good jumps on the ball. 

Q: What drives you? 

A: Family. My daughter, my wife and then my brothers and sisters and extended family and all that. Everyone involved. 

Q: Boyhood idol? 

A: Probably Sammy Watkins. He went to Clemson, he was like my favorite receiver. He was just like a legend to me. 

Q: Raiders fans? 

A: Raider fans are loyal. They don’t even know sometimes why they’re cheering, they’re so loyal. 

Q: (Brewers outfielder) Hunter Renfroe the baseball player? 

A: I’ll get some people tweeting at me and he’ll get some people tweeting at him whenever we have good games. That’s how we know our counterpart had done well. 

Q: Three dinner guests? 

A: Jesus Christ; George Washington; Alexander The Great. 

Q: Favorite movie? 

A: “The Patriot.” 

Q: Favorite actor? 

A: Steve Carell. 

Q: Favorite meal? 

A: Chicken fingers and rice and gravy. 

Q: What kind of atmosphere are you expecting in Cincinnati? 

A: Cold (laugh). But it’s kinda like taking a test, you get so locked in that you don’t even realize what’s going on around you. 

Q: How would you characterize the mindset of your team right now? 

A: The mindset of our team is anything can happen. Let’s go win this week and then just take one week at a time. 

https://nypost.com/2022/01/14/hunter-renfrow-talks-raiders-playoff-game-and-jon-gruden/
Dude...i love your passion

Derek Carr's future with Raiders likely tied to head coach hire

Published: Jan 15, 2022 at 11:21 AM

Ian Rapoport

NFL Network Insider

When the Raiders take the field Saturday against the Bengals, Rich Bisaccia will lead them out there. The interim coach took over a team in turmoil following Jon Gruden's resignation and led them to the playoffs.

Yet, if they lose, uncertainty awaits.

The Raiders will conduct a full and thorough coaching search when the offseason begins, and it appears the future of quarterback Derek Carr will be tied in with it.

Las Vegas and Carr have a mutual decision to make this offseason, and sources say the choice of the head coach will be a factor.

Bisaccia will receive an interview and be considered for the position, sources say. A win or two in the playoffs gives him a far better opportunity to keep the job long term. But the search will be real and thorough, and Bisaccia goes in as not necessarily the favorite.

Carr has made it clear publicly that his preference is to stay with the Raiders, famously saying that he'd probably quit football as opposed to playing for another team. But with one year remaining on his five-year, $125-million contract, he has earned a near-top of the market extension.

On the back of Carr's stellar play, the Raiders finished the season with four straight wins -- all by four points or less. How the organization approaches a possible extension will be telling.

General manager Mike Mayock's performance will be evaluated, as well, by owner Mark Davis, and whether he stays may also affect Carr's future, as a new GM would have to make a decision on Carr's contract.

If the pendulum swings in the other direction, and the Raiders and Carr decide to part ways, expect a long line of suitors for Carr, who has impressed when it mattered most this season on the field. Off the field, as Gruden resigned after The Wall Street Journal and New York Times published articles detailing the use of racist, homophobic and misogynistic terms by Gruden in emails and former receiver Henry Ruggs III was released following his arrest and charges for multiple felonies related to his role in a traffic collision that resulted in the death of a young woman, Carr was essential in keeping that locker room together.

Among the teams who would make sense for Carr are the Saints, Texans and perhaps the Colts, should they decide to move on from Carson Wentz. If Carr is, in fact, available, he will likely garner more interest than that.

https://www.nfl.com/news/derek-carr-s-future-with-raiders-likely-tied-to-hc-hire

C'mon Barber! You know better than that! 38 yard swing. Can't win making mistakes like that (he typed as the Raiders drew their third false start of the first quarter).

I don’t want to see either Barber or DJax on the field for the rest of the game. I’ll take Richard at RB every single time over Barber. Gives us an extra dimension when Jacobs is taking a breather and DJax gives us nothing as proven the last 4 weeks. Bench his ###. 

I don’t want to see either Barber or DJax on the field for the rest of the game. I’ll take Richard at RB every single time over Barber. Gives us an extra dimension when Jacobs is taking a breather and DJax gives us nothing as proven the last 4 weeks. Bench his ###. 
Was Barber in in offense? I only saw him on special teams.

All things being equal, down seven at half after all those mistakes, the turnover (which is on Moreau not Carr), and a missed inadvertent whistle (ignored IMO because it hurt the Raiders) that should have negated a TD, is pretty impressive.

Beyond the penalties on the offensive line, Olson is killing the offense by being so slow getting the play calls in. Much as I like Carr he needs more time to make reads.

Users who are viewing this thread