What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 NFL Free Agency Thread (3 Viewers)

Why?  So he can get hurt again?  How old is he now?  38?
It actually makes some sense if he's cheap, and I assume he was and he can avoid what you are saying. He returns home to play for a possible contender while giving Stafford likely his best deep ball threat. I'm sure he's not projected to be an everydown player, maybe that will help him.

If he's not dirt cheap I take back everything I said, lol.

To me it seems like most fantasy situations got worse through FA so far this year.

I would also say that I feel like teams didn't get substantially better too

To me it seems like most fantasy situations got worse through FA so far this year.

I would also say that I feel like teams didn't get substantially better too
Melvin Gordon a big winner so far...Phillip Lindsay was siphoning off 10+ carries/game...Freeman and Boone will be merely backups...Broncos shored up their defense considerably so more favorable game scripts, etc. 

ETA: Also got his DUI charges dropped so that is big.

Last edited by a moderator:
Melvin Gordon a big winner so far...Phillip Lindsay was siphoning off 10+ carries/game...Freeman and Boone will be merely backups...Broncos shored up their defense considerably so more favorable game scripts, etc. 

ETA: Also got his DUI charges dropped so that is big.
You may be right.  Gordon has little competition for carries, as the RB depth chart stands now.  However, this is the same Melvin Gordon who has only one more thousand-yard-rushing season than I have.  It would not be at all surprising to see the Broncos add another runner.

They had a clinic yesterday here just for teachers and with the J&J vaccine. So many teachers across the school district had enough of a reaction to call out from work today. So many teachers called out they had to cancel school. Maybe they should rethink that plan across other districts. 

Anarchy99 said:
They had a clinic yesterday here just for teachers and with the J&J vaccine. So many teachers across the school district had enough of a reaction to call out from work today. So many teachers called out they had to cancel school. Maybe they should rethink that plan across other districts. 
Can't they just sign free agent teachers to the practice squad?

Anarchy99 said:
Obviously it’s a ploy to motivate Tatum Bell to teach harder.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Rotoworld

Falcons signed RB Mike Davis, formerly of the Panthers, to a two-year, $5.5 million contract. 

Davis' contract includes $3 million in guaranteed money. With Todd Gurley and Brian Hill unrestricted free agents, Davis becomes Atlanta's No. 1 running back -- for now. Davis in 2020 acquitted himself nicely as Carolina's starter, rushing 165 times and catching 59 passes with Christian McCaffrey dealt with various ailments. Only four backs saw more targets than Davis last year. He's hardly an explosive runner, but he's proven durable and efficient during his six years in the NFL. In two spot starts for Seattle in 2018, Davis totaled 160 rushing yards and eight receptions. Davis, 28, represents an upgrade to the Atlanta backfield, and could be an undervalued fantasy pick if the Falcons don't make any more significant additions to their backfield. The Athletic's Tori McElhaney said Davis’ addition "shouldn’t change the Falcons’ plans if they hoped to draft a running back" in this year's NFL Draft. Atlanta has the No. 4 and No. 35 picks in the draft's first two rounds. Head coach Arthur Smith has made no secret about the Falcons running a far more balanced offense in 2021. 

Saw some discussion on former NFL head coach Eric Mangini. He may not have been that successful as a head coach, but he had 7 first round picks in 5 seasons and selected:

- T D'Brickashaw Ferguson (2 Pro Bowls)
- C Nick Mangold (7 Pro Bowls, 2-time First Team All Pro, 1 Second Team All Pro)
- CB Darrelle Revis (7 Pro Bowls, 4-time First Team All Pro)
- C Alex Mack (6 Pro Bowls, 3-time Second Team All Pro)
- CB Joe Haden (3 Pro Bowls, 1 Second Team All Pro)

The other two players were DE Vernon Gholston and TE Dustin Keller. Those are some pretty impressive picks.

Saw some discussion on former NFL head coach Eric Mangini. He may not have been that successful as a head coach, but he had 7 first round picks in 5 seasons and selected:

- T D'Brickashaw Ferguson (2 Pro Bowls)
- C Nick Mangold (7 Pro Bowls, 2-time First Team All Pro, 1 Second Team All Pro)
- CB Darrelle Revis (7 Pro Bowls, 4-time First Team All Pro)
- C Alex Mack (6 Pro Bowls, 3-time Second Team All Pro)
- CB Joe Haden (3 Pro Bowls, 1 Second Team All Pro)

The other two players were DE Vernon Gholston and TE Dustin Keller. Those are some pretty impressive picks.
He wasn't the GM

He wasn't the GM
True, but I am not sure how much influence a coach has on the GM in player selection. For example, if the coach is adamantly opposed to PLAYER X would a GM take him anyway . . . and if the coach is in love with PLAYER Y would a GM diss him by taking someone else. One would hope the two would agree on their team's choices.

I don't know if NE signed the right players for their team and if they overpaid them, but IMO the media needs to better report on and understand contracts, market values, and salary cap management. For example, the numbers that came out for the NE signings included max contract values . . . but almost all of them have incentives that players won't come close to reaching. The multi-year deals they signed come with low first and second year salaries and final years that the players will never see and get paid out on. And unlike some other contract like Gronk, Hill, and JJSS, NE didn't tack on bogus voidable years that will escalate 80% of the cap hit when the contracts void at the end of the year. To summarize, the majority of the players they signed were on team friendly deals in spite of what the initial reports indicated. And unlike other teams that added a bunch of high profile free agent signings in prior off seasons, NE has BB running the show. The flip side would be if NE had accumulated all the cap space they had and DIDN'T use it, people would flame them for NOT spending it. So they couldn't win in the eyes of the media no matter what they did.

I don't know if NE signed the right players for their team and if they overpaid them, but IMO the media needs to better report on and understand contracts, market values, and salary cap management. For example, the numbers that came out for the NE signings included max contract values . . . but almost all of them have incentives that players won't come close to reaching. The multi-year deals they signed come with low first and second year salaries and final years that the players will never see and get paid out on. And unlike some other contract like Gronk, Hill, and JJSS, NE didn't tack on bogus voidable years that will escalate 80% of the cap hit when the contracts void at the end of the year. To summarize, the majority of the players they signed were on team friendly deals in spite of what the initial reports indicated. And unlike other teams that added a bunch of high profile free agent signings in prior off seasons, NE has BB running the show. The flip side would be if NE had accumulated all the cap space they had and DIDN'T use it, people would flame them for NOT spending it. So they couldn't win in the eyes of the media no matter what they did.
Amen. Actually the Jets fans on this board are disgruntled that their GM didn’t spend more. And, I have to agree that the GM should spend it to make a competitive team. Let the owner decide how the capital is managed. 

Joe Flacco to PHI. CB Eli Apple to CIN. 
Kyle Rudolph has issue in physical before contract was signed. Not sure what the outcome of that one will be but may need foot surgery.

Mariota expected to take a $6-7 million pay cut to stay with the Raiders.
This is one of the stranger developments imo. Really would have liked to see him get an opportunity either in NE or CHI. The way Cam/Dalton played last year it's hard for me to imagine those teams wouldn't have been willing to bring him in for the $ Mariota is agreeing to stay in OAK. 

This is one of the stranger developments imo. Really would have liked to see him get an opportunity either in NE or CHI. The way Cam/Dalton played last year it's hard for me to imagine those teams wouldn't have been willing to bring him in for the $ Mariota is agreeing to stay in OAK. 
Maybe Marriotta and the Raiders made an agreement that if he redid his deal they would be able to trade him. It’ll obviously be easier now for someone to take on his new salary if they are interested.  

Fournette returning to Tampa which pretty much stinks for him, ROJO and Vaughn.
Yes and no...IMO it would have been far worse for the other two if Harris, Williams or Etienne were drafted by Tampa at the end of the first as some are mocking...Jones is what he is...a quality RB with solid fantasy value that is not going to be a legit #1, if he can stay pretty consistent with what he did last year that will be best case scenario for him.

Yes and no...IMO it would have been far worse for the other two if Harris, Williams or Etienne were drafted by Tampa at the end of the first as some are mocking...Jones is what he is...a quality RB with solid fantasy value that is not going to be a legit #1, if he can stay pretty consistent with what he did last year that will be best case scenario for him.
I never look at this way, I just don't think it's a win for any RB that they signed Fournette because they MIGHT have drafted a RB. I just now they signed Fournette and it's not good.

Also I disagree on Jones. I think he's a legit #1 who has improved every year.

Users who are viewing this thread