What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Free Agency Discussion (2 Viewers)

Pick trade...
Minnesota gets No. 23 and No. 232.
Houston gets No. 42, 188 and a 2025 2nd rounder.

Dropping from 23 to the 10th pick in the 2nd for a future 2nd plus a bump from 7th round to 6th is pretty nice. Not sure what a trade value chart would say though those are very subjective.
Initially I thought that might be a decent value move for the Vikes, but according to the draft pick calc it sure isn't.
I still think it's decent for them if targeting a certain position.
Also good for Houston if they are looking at some of the positions that have deeper depth in the top 50.
Seems weird for that kinda move for a pick as late as 23 before the draft even starts, so yeah, kinda feels like they are gonna look to make another deal.
If BB was still in New England...,

Keenan Allen to the Bears for a 4th round pick

Chargers must be taking a WR round 1 now you think?
You would think so, but Harbaugh is definitely going to pound the rock. OT isn't out of the question.
Yeah I was trying not to let his history push me off Herbert's potential ceiling, but now with these moves and their current roster.... it's hard not to imagine Herbert's value taking a pretty big hit in SF leagues. Even if they take Nabers at 5, I don't know if I can convince myself he's still a potential top 6 guy anymore for fantasy.

You would think so, but Harbaugh is definitely going to pound the rock. OT isn't out of the question.
Yeah I was trying not to let his history push me off Herbert's potential ceiling, but now with these moves and their current roster.... it's hard not to imagine Herbert's value taking a pretty big hit in SF leagues. Even if they take Nabers at 5, I don't know if I can convince myself he's still a potential top 6 guy anymore for fantasy.

Chargers still have the #37 in the 2nd round and it’s a very deep draft for WR if they pass on one at #5 overall. Or maybe Bowers at #5 and a WR in the 2nd? Although I think an OT at 5 might be the better move too.

1- Alt 2- Roman Wilson 3- Blake Corum.

They have so many needs I see 5 being trade down. Maybe 2nd also. As the D hit a little especially LB.
The Vikings moving to this spot seems to be the most logical thing if this were to happen.

On paper at least, the 11+23 is worth about the #4 pick on a few different charts readily available on the web. So gives MINN good ammo to be in striking range of a move up for a QB

Every body and their mom has already shipped those 1st rounders for a top 3 QB. I stand alone thinking, hold up can we use those picks to get Quinyon Mitchell and Johnny Newton.

Believe it or not Malik Willis is now the longest tenured QB from the 2022 draft, with Pickett and Ridder only lasting 2 years with the team that rafted them.
Don’t forget Purdy
I meant longest tenured going by actual time on the team, Willis was drafted a day before Purdy.

Its wild that in 2 years Malik Willis is the only QB taken in the first 3 rounds that is still on his original team.

Also interesting about that class. All of Pickett, Ridder, Wilis, Corral, Zappe were old rookies 23 or older. The only guys 21 or 22 were Howell and Purdy. Maybe just a coincidence, but an interesting parallel with Daniels, Nix, Penix, and Rattler all being 23+, and Williams, Maye, and McCarthy being 21-22.

Tom Pelissero on the Pickett situation:

How did this go sideways? Mike Tomlin had promised Kenny Pickett he’d get a chance to compete. Pickett learned about the Russell Wilson signing on social media Sunday night. When they spoke the next morning, Tomlin told Pickett that Wilson was in pole position and would get the first reps. So, Pickett asked for a trade. Now he’s an Eagle.

How did this go sideways? Mike Tomlin had promised Kenny Pickett he’d get a chance to compete. Pickett learned about the Russell Wilson signing on social media Sunday night. When they spoke the next morning, Tomlin told Pickett that Wilson was in pole position and would get the first reps. So, Pickett asked for a trade. Now he’s an Eagle.

And now he has no chance to start. Smooth move

And now he has no chance to start. Smooth move
Careful what you wish for. He could have been a good soldier and maybe could compete next year if not this, in case Russell moves on. Now he probably has to wait until his rookie contract is up after 2025 at a minimum to see if he can compete somewhere else.

Pick trade...
Minnesota gets No. 23 and No. 232.
Houston gets No. 42, 188 and a 2025 2nd rounder.

Dropping from 23 to the 10th pick in the 2nd for a future 2nd plus a bump from 7th round to 6th is pretty nice. Not sure what a trade value chart would say though those are very subjective.

I looked it up this morning after I heard about the trade. Neither chart went as low as 232.

Jimmy Johnson draft pick chart:
------------------
23: 760
232: Negligible

42: 480
188: 16.2

Chase's chart:
----------------
23: 14.6
232: Negligible

42: 10.8
188: 1.8

So we have to assume where will the Vikings pick, and also do we discount value of the future 2nd or count the same regardless of year. I do think future picks have less value to a GM or Coach who might be fired if they fail. I've yet to be convinced they are of less value to the team as a whole, though.

So I'll go with, next year 2nd is worth full value, and just say the Vikes pick in the same spot with Darnold/rookie QB for the full year. With those assumptions, using either chart, it would take Houston adding the 3.11 (75) for JJ chart to call it exactly equal, and pick 2.26 (58) for Chase's chart.

What are the odds that Zack Wilson gets traded before Fields? I mean the Jets would take just about anything at this point.

It's possible. If the Jets offer enough to get someone to take him. ;)
Yup. Wilson, a 4th, and $3M for a 6th.
Shareholders should hope & pray the 49ers add him as a reclamation project.

Look at Darnold’s value the second he ended up backing up Purdy.

Pickett cries about having to compete against a QB that hasn't looked good in years, and now gets to hold a tablet for an MVP Candidate. 😆

The Seattle Seahawks will sign former Miami Dolphins linebacker Jerome Baker to a one-year, $7 million contract.

The Dolphins released Baker on March 5 and moved quickly to replace him in free agency by signing former Seahawks linebacker Jordyn Brooks earlier this week

Ranking the FA RB contracts. Was going to put this in a new thread but this will do.

I like to do this, following the money kind of deal to try and peel back the BS on the contracts and see what teams are really making a commitment to these RB's. It's not an apples to apples comp due to various structures but if a team has no guaranteed money that's no longer a real contract to the player, that's a team option. I don't consider that a commitment in any way to the players and won't list those as real commitments.

I don't know what triggers each performance incentives but will list the total, will list per game incentives and I will include workout bonus in the base pay because that's generally a given.

With that in mind here is how I'd rank the RB contracts.

1. Barkley

Clear winner, not a close second. Still I think a tad inferior to Darnell Mooney's deal which is kind of nuts.

*3/37.5m
*$26 fully guaranteed
$14,700 per game active

Bottom line: 2 years for $25.5m with max earnings of $26M
or
3 years for $37M with max earnings of $37.75

2. Jacobs

*4/48m but it's meaningless past year two.
*$12.5M signing bonus and first year salary of $1.2 effectively guaranteed.
*his guarantees trail Swift and some others but I'd rank his contract second due to likelihood he sees the first two years of the deal

Bottom line:

1 year for $13.7M with $29,412 per week active bonus for potential max of $14.2.
Or
2 years for $20.8m, with per game active bonus of $29,412 for max earnings of $21.8M.

Year to year after, no guarantees, which is no commitments, $10.2M and $12.2 m with with per game active bonus of about $41k er week.

3. Swift

*3/24m
*$15.24 guaranteed including $510k per year for active bonus

Bottom line:

2 years for $15.48m with $30k per week active bonus for max earnings of $16.5m for just being active.

4. Henry

A valid case can be made that Henry's contract is better then Swifts. Not having any guarantees in year two is why I put Swift over him, and in absence of performance bonus even if he gets the second year guarantee he still might trail Swift. A little difficult to gauge because he has $2m in performance incentives for each season, $4m total, based on rushing yards, TD's and a SB win but I don't know what those numbers are and even if I did it's not quite the same as a per game active bonus for just showing up.

*2/16m
*$9m gtd, all in year one

Bottom line:

1 year for $9m with max earnings up to $11m depending on the performance bonus.
or if team prefers
2 years for $16m with max earnings up to $20M depending on performance bonus.

5. Pollard

Could make a case his contract is better then Henry's. If neither see year two Pollard did better.

*3/21.75
*$10.49 GTD

Bottom line:

1 year for $10.49m with per game incentives of $30k for max earnings of $11m for just showing up each week, another $750K available in performance bonus.
Or
2 years for $13.99m, with $30K for per game for max earnings of $15.01M for just showing up, up to another $1.5m available in performance bonus($750K per year)

*a bit of a drop off now, please don't focus to much on the rankings. For instance if Jones gets a deal in 2025 he'll pass Singletary but I"m focusing on commitments by the team***

6. Singletary

*3/15.9M
*$9.5m gtd

Bottom line:

1 year $9.75m with another $1m available for performance incentives
or most likely
2 years for $11m with another $2m available for performance incentives($1m annually)

***I view these deals as all a step down from Singletary****

7. Aaron Jones

One year $6M with another $1m availabe in unknown incentives

8. Ekeler

*2/$7.21m
*$4.21 gtd

1 year for $4.21m, per game bonus of $30K which can get him to max earnings of $4.71m. Has $1.5 annual performance incentives rushing and receiving yards, TD's and catches I am not able to calculate.

No other guarantees exist but if they want to him him in year two it's:

2 years for $7.21m, max earnings of $8.26m with the per game active bonus, another significant $3m total($1.5 per year) for unknown performance bonus.

9. Antonio Gibson

*3/9.75m
*$5.3m gtd

Bottom line:

2 years for $6.73M, with $30K per game active bonus for max earnings first two years of $7.75m total.

Or
3 years for $9.72m with $30K per game active bonus for max earnings of $11.25

10. . Zach Moss

*2/$7.75M
*$3m gtd

Bottom line:

1 year for $4.225M with another $250K total for per game active bonus for max of $4.475

Or
2 years for $7.75m with another $500K max total for per game active bonus for max of $8.25m

**I listed his contract under Gibsons due to lack of guarantees in year two)

Mixon was not technically not a FA but I'd have included him if I knew his full details. All I know is $27M for 3 years, $13m GTD with year one payout of $10M. He would have almost assuredly been in that mix with Swift, Henry or Pollard.

Hopefully people see this as interesting or find use. You start really looking at this and see a legit real commitment to someone like Singletary for two years-which is surprising.. Gibson as well but for a decent amount less. Meanwhile it seems fair to say that while Jones is the only one on an actual one year deal, effectively so are Ekeler, Moss and Henry.

Ranking the FA RB contracts. Was going to put this in a new thread but this will do.

I like to do this, following the money kind of deal to try and peel back the BS on the contracts and see what teams are really making a commitment to these RB's. It's not an apples to apples comp due to various structures but if a team has no guaranteed money that's no longer a real contract to the player, that's a team option. I don't consider that a commitment in any way to the players and won't list those as real commitments.

I don't know what triggers each performance incentives but will list the total, will list per game incentives and I will include workout bonus in the base pay because that's generally a given.

1. Barkley

Clear winner, not a close second. Still I think a tad inferior to Darnell Mooney's deal which is kind of nuts.

*3/37.5m
*$26 fully guaranteed
$14,700 per game active

or

2. Jacobs

*his guarantees trail Swift and some others but I'd rank his contract second due to likelihood he sees the first two years of the deal

Bottom line:

1 year for $13.7M with $29,412 per week active bonus for potential max of $14.2.
Or
2 years for $20.8m, with per game active bonus of $29,412 for max earnings of $21.8M.

Year to year after, no guarantees, which is no commitments, $10.2M and $12.2 m with with per game active bonus of about $41k er week.

3. Swift

*3/24m

Bottom line:

2 years for $15.48m with $30k per week active bonus for max earnings of $16.5m for just being active.

4. Henry

A valid case can be made that Henry's contract is better then Swifts. Not having any guarantees in year two is why I put Swift over him, and in absence of performance bonus even if he gets the second year guarantee he still might trail Swift. A little difficult to gauge because he has $2m in performance incentives for each season, $4m total, based on rushing yards, TD's and a SB win but I don't know what those numbers are and even if I did it's not quite the same as a per game active bonus for just showing up.

*2/16m

Bottom line:

or if team prefers

5. Pollard

Could make a case his contract is better then Henry's. If neither see year two Pollard did better.

*3/21.75
*$10.49 GTD

Bottom line:

1 year for $10.49m with per game incentives of $30k for max earnings of $11m for just showing up each week, another $750K available in performance bonus.
Or
2 years for $13.99m, with $30K for per game for max earnings of $15.01M for just showing up, up to another $1.5m available in performance bonus($750K per year)

*a bit of a drop off now, please don't focus to much on the rankings. For instance if Jones gets a deal in 2025 he'll pass Singletary but I"m focusing on commitments by the team***

6. Singletary

*3/15.9M
*$9.5m gtd

Bottom line:

or most likely
2 years for $11m with another $2m available for performance incentives($1m annually)

7. Aaron Jones

8. Ekeler

*2/$7.21m
*$4.21 gtd

1 year for $4.21m, per game bonus of $30K which can get him to max earnings of $4.71m. Has $1.5 annual performance incentives rushing and receiving yards, TD's and catches I am not able to calculate.

2 years for $7.21m, max earnings of $8.26m with the per game active bonus, another significant $3m total($1.5 per year) for unknown performance bonus.

9. Antonio Gibson

*3/9.75m
*$5.3m gtd

Bottom line:

2 years for $6.73M, with $30K per game active bonus for max earnings first two years of $7.75m total.

Or

10. . Zach Moss

*2/$7.75M
*$3m gtd

Bottom line:

1 year for $4.225M with another $250K total for per game active bonus for max of $4.475

Or
2 years for $7.75m with another $500K max total for per game active bonus for max of $8.25m

Mixon was not technically not a FA but I'd have included him if I knew his full details. All I know is $27M for 3 years, $13m GTD with year one payout of $10M. He would have almost assuredly been in that mix with Swift, Henry or Pollard.

Hopefully people see this as interesting or find use. You start really looking at this and see a legit real commitment to someone like Singletary for two years-which is surprising.. Gibson as well but for a decent amount less. Meanwhile it seems fair to say that while Jones is the only one on an actual one year deal, effectively so are Ekeler, Moss and Henry.
I would put Aaron Jones higher and definitely put Swift lower.

1. Barkley

*3/37.5m
*$26 fully guaranteed
$14,700 per game active

or

2. Jacobs

Bottom line:

Or

3. Swift

*3/24m

Bottom line:

4. Henry

*2/16m

Bottom line:

or if team prefers

5. Pollard

*3/21.75
*$10.49 GTD

Bottom line:

Or

6. Singletary

*3/15.9M
*$9.5m gtd

Bottom line:

or most likely

7. Aaron Jones

8. Ekeler

*2/$7.21m
*$4.21 gtd

9. Antonio Gibson

*3/9.75m
*$5.3m gtd

Bottom line:

Or

10. . Zach Moss

*2/$7.75M
*$3m gtd

Bottom line:

Or

I would put Aaron Jones higher and definitely put Swift lower.
Based on?

1. Barkley

*3/37.5m
*$26 fully guaranteed
$14,700 per game active

or

2. Jacobs

Bottom line:

Or

3. Swift

*3/24m

Bottom line:

4. Henry

*2/16m

Bottom line:

or if team prefers

5. Pollard

*3/21.75
*$10.49 GTD

Bottom line:

Or

6. Singletary

*3/15.9M
*$9.5m gtd

Bottom line:

or most likely

7. Aaron Jones

8. Ekeler

*2/$7.21m
*$4.21 gtd

9. Antonio Gibson

*3/9.75m
*$5.3m gtd

Bottom line:

Or

10. . Zach Moss

*2/$7.75M
*$3m gtd

Bottom line:

Or

I'm still shocked the Eagles signed Barkley. I would have put money on it that they wouldn't spend that kind of coin on a RB. Totally out of character for them.

The Seattle Seahawks will sign former Miami Dolphins linebacker Jerome Baker to a one-year, $7 million contract.

The Dolphins released Baker on March 5 and moved quickly to replace him in free agency by signing former Seahawks linebacker Jordyn Brooks earlier this week
That feels like a bargain. I was expecting him to get a bigger payday.

1. Barkley

*3/37.5m
*$26 fully guaranteed
$14,700 per game active

or

2. Jacobs

Bottom line:

Or

3. Swift

*3/24m

Bottom line:

4. Henry

*2/16m

Bottom line:

or if team prefers

5. Pollard

*3/21.75
*$10.49 GTD

Bottom line:

Or

6. Singletary

*3/15.9M
*$9.5m gtd

Bottom line:

or most likely

7. Aaron Jones

8. Ekeler

*2/$7.21m
*$4.21 gtd

9. Antonio Gibson

*3/9.75m
*$5.3m gtd

Bottom line:

Or

10. . Zach Moss

*2/$7.75M
*$3m gtd

Bottom line:

Or

I'm still shocked the Eagles signed Barkley. I would have put money on it that they wouldn't spend that kind of coin on a RB. Totally out of character for them.
Kinda feels like they’re acknowledging that they can’t keep abusing Hurts, and need to slow down the game at times.

They weren’t as good of a team down the stretch in part because they lacked a reliable run game. Feels like they are addressing that Bigtime.

Agree it’s unexpected, but I think it’s a pretty sharp move.

I don’t think Herbert and Johnson are suddenly going away. I think Aaron Jones will eat more than Swift.
Thank you for responding but you totally missed the point of the post.

Has noting to do with ranking the landing spots for fantasy, was totally about ranking the teams commitments. Which often is a precursor to fantasy success, so safe to say I don't agree with your Swift premise, but that's another topic.

1. Barkley

*3/37.5m
*$26 fully guaranteed
$14,700 per game active

or

2. Jacobs

Bottom line:

Or

3. Swift

*3/24m

Bottom line:

4. Henry

*2/16m

Bottom line:

or if team prefers

5. Pollard

*3/21.75
*$10.49 GTD

Bottom line:

Or

6. Singletary

*3/15.9M
*$9.5m gtd

Bottom line:

or most likely

7. Aaron Jones

8. Ekeler

*2/$7.21m
*$4.21 gtd

9. Antonio Gibson

*3/9.75m
*$5.3m gtd

Bottom line:

Or

10. . Zach Moss

*2/$7.75M
*$3m gtd

Bottom line:

Or

Kinda feels like they’re acknowledging that they can’t keep abusing Hurts, and need to slow down the game at times.

They weren’t as good of a team down the stretch in part because they lacked a reliable run game. Feels like they are addressing that Bigtime.

Agree it’s unexpected, but I think it’s a pretty sharp move.

I didn't say I didn't like it, just surprised is all.

I don’t think Herbert and Johnson are suddenly going away. I think Aaron Jones will eat more than Swift.

Has noting to do with ranking the landing spots for fantasy, was totally about ranking the teams commitments. Which often is a precursor to fantasy success, so safe to say I don't agree with your Swift premise, but that's another topic.
Has any team ever been committed to Swift? On his 3rd team already.

I just laid it out for you.

Not free agency, but of course can impact it.

The Bears have traded quarterback Justin Fields to the Pittsburgh Steelers, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday.

The Steelers sent a 2025 sixth-round pick that converts to a fourth-round selection if Fields plays 51% of snaps this season, a source confirmed to ESPN.

I just laid it out for you.
My bad, at first I didn’t read the first part of your original post.

So, I suppose those have Fields need to hold him for at least 2024, because you can’t get squat for him in a trade. After 2024 he’s either starting for the Steelers or playing somewhere else. He’s due 25M in 2025.

So, I suppose those have Fields need to hold him for at least 2024, because you can’t get squat for him in a trade. After 2024 he’s either starting for the Steelers or playing somewhere else. He’s due 25M in 2025.
As of right now he's slated for FA in 2025.

He's an interesting guy for sure in both redraft and dynasty. Projects as a backup but even his biggest detractors in real life understand he's really good for fantasy as long as he's playing. Going to be hard for people to let go in dynasty. Imagine people will draft him late in redrafts, but most won't hold if he's not got the gig a few weeks into the season.

He's an interesting guy for sure in both redraft and dynasty. Projects as a backup but even his biggest detractors in real life understand he's really good for fantasy as long as he's playing. Going to be hard for people to let go in dynasty. Imagine people will draft him late in redrafts, but most won't hold if he's not got the gig a few weeks into the season.
I looked that up about an hour ago and thought I saw he wasn’t an UFA until 2026. I suppose he could get cut in 2025 because he will be due 25M, making him a FA.

I looked that up about an hour ago and thought I saw he wasn’t an UFA until 2026. I suppose he could get cut in 2025 because he will be due 25M, making him a FA.
Johnny, he's not under contract in 2025, there is no cut that needs to be made for him to be an UFA in 2025.

You must be looking at something that assumed his 5th year option was picked up. It was not.

Users who are viewing this thread