What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Free Agency Discussion (1 Viewer)

So, I suppose those have Fields need to hold him for at least 2024, because you can’t get squat for him in a trade. After 2024 he’s either starting for the Steelers or playing somewhere else. He’s due 25M in 2025.
As of right now he's slated for FA in 2025.

He's an interesting guy for sure in both redraft and dynasty. Projects as a backup but even his biggest detractors in real life understand he's really good for fantasy as long as he's playing. Going to be hard for people to let go in dynasty. Imagine people will draft him late in redrafts, but most won't hold if he's not got the gig a few weeks into the season.
I looked that up about an hour ago and thought I saw he wasn’t an UFA until 2026. I suppose he could get cut in 2025 because he will be due 25M, making him a FA.
Johnny, he's not under contract in 2025, there is no cut that needs to be made for him to be an UFA in 2025.

You must be looking at something that assumed his 5th year option was picked up. It was not.
So, those who roster him are stuck with him another year, because they won’t be able to trade him. Great, a roster clogger.

If we are going by NFL compensation for rookie QBs:

Ridder > Howell > Pickett > Mac Jones > Fields

Who would have predicted that?

Per Spotrac:

Updated Top 51 Cap Space

1. WSH, $63M
2. NE, $58M
3. TEN, $55M
4. PHI, $39M
5. CHI, $31.7M
6. DET, $31M
7. ARZ, $30M
8. CIN, $29.6M
9. LV, $29.5M
10. LAC, $29.1M
11. GB, $25M
12. LAR, $23.7M
13. IND, $23.2M
14. DEN, $21M
15. MIN, $19.3M
16. SEA, $19.2M
17. CAR, $19.1M
18. HOU, $19M
19. SF, $17.4M
20. BUF, $17.2M
21. NO, $16M
22. KC, $15.8M
23. JAX, $15M
24. BAL, $14M
25. PIT, $12M
26. NYG, $11M
27. CLE, $8.2M
28. TB, $8M
29. NYJ, $7.9M
30. MIA, $5M
31. ATL, $4.3M
32. DAL, $4M

I looked that up about an hour ago and thought I saw he wasn’t an UFA until 2026. I suppose he could get cut in 2025 because he will be due 25M, making him a FA.
Steelers have to decide whether to pick up 5th year option ($25M) by May 2. They probably won’t, but it would push UFA to 2026.

Not free agency, but of course can impact it.

The Bears have traded quarterback Justin Fields to the Pittsburgh Steelers, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday.

The Steelers sent a 2025 sixth-round pick that converts to a fourth-round selection if Fields plays 51% of snaps this season, a source confirmed to ESPN.
As someone who reads r\Commanders on reddit, and having seen numerous delusional Bears fans show up in that sub saying we'd be buying Fields for our first round pick plus whatever player they felt they wanted that day... I love to see him go for a 6th.

Soon will be able to add Zach Wilson to the end of that list. Did this also end up in reverse draft order somehow? (too lazy to check)

Soon will be able to add Zach Wilson to the end of that list. Did this also end up in reverse draft order somehow? (too lazy to check)
i suspect that no one will wants to pick up his 7M contract. He will be cut and added as a free agent.
Yup, so 0 draft comp. Back of the line Zach. And cost the most.

KJ Osborn to the Pats.

Whoever the Pats (presumably) take at QB is almost certainly going to have a rough go of it unless they really beef up their receiving crew.

Some of the free agents still available at each position:

QB
Ryan Tannehill
Josh Dobbs
Carson Wentz

RB
JK Dobbins
Clyde Edwards-Helaire
Dalvin Cook

WR
Beckham Jr
Mike Williams
Tyler Boyd
Michael Gallup
Allen Robinson
Hunter Renfrow
Michael Thomas

TE
Logan Thomas
CJ Uzomah

OT
David Bakhtiari
Mekhi Becton
Trent Brown
DJ Humphries

Guard
Kevin Zeitler
Cody Whitehair
Greg Van Roten

Center
Connor Williams
Mason Cole
Bradley Bozeman

Edge
Chase Young
Jadeveon Clowney
Emmanuel Ogbah

DT
Calais Campbell
Teair Tart
Lawrence Guy

LB
Shaquille Leonard
Isaiah Simmons
Leighton Vander Esch
Zach Cunningham

CB
Stephon Gilmore
Xavien Howard
Tre'Davious White
Steven Nelson
Adoree Jackson

Safety
Justin Simmons
Eddie Jackson
Julian Blackmon
Micah Hyde
Quandre Diggs
Jamal Adams

Last edited:
Some of the free agents still available at each position:

QB
Ryan Tannehill
Josh Dobbs
Carson Wentz

RB
JK Dobbins
Clyde Edwards-Helaire
Dalvin Cook

WR
Beckham Jr
Mike Williams
Tyler Boyd
Michael Gallup
Allen Robinson
Hunter Renfrow
Michael Thomas

TE
Logan Thomas
CJ Uzomah

OT
David Bakhtiari
Mekhi Becton
Trent Brown
DJ Humphries

Guard
Kevin Zeitler
Cody Whitehair
Greg Van Roten

Center
Connor Williams
Mason Cole
Bradley Bozeman

Edge
Chase Young
Jadeveon Clowney
Emmanuel Ogbah

DT
Calais Campbell
Teair Tart
Lawrence Guy

LB
Shaquille Leonard
Isaiah Simmons
Leighton Vander Esch
Zach Cunningham

CB
Stephon Gilmore
Xavien Howard
Tre'Davious White
Steven Nelson
Adoree Jackson

Safety
Justin Simmons
Eddie Jackson
Julian Blackmon
Micah Hyde
Quandre Diggs
Jamal Adams

Lots of intriguing defensive names still on the board, but the offense list looks like a bunch of tumbleweeds other than the Guards. Interesting snapshot of where the league prioritized the big dollar signings this FA season.

The Saints signed Chase Young to a one year fully guaranteed 13 mill.
Crazy. While under the old regime you wouldn't call Washington a smart or well run franchise, but the 49ers are as good as it gets. The fact that they gave up a 3rd round pick for him, and let him walk without any effort to retain, tells me all I need to know. Saints should have never given him that much guaranteed money. Chase seems lazy, I think he needs incentives, this won't help. Good luck Saints fans, but I'd keep my expectations really low.

ESPN: Jets signing ex-Chargers WR Mike Williams to 1-year deal. Williams, 29, will sign a one-year contract that has a maximum value of $15 million, according to the sources.

ESPN: Jets signing ex-Chargers WR Mike Williams to 1-year deal. Williams, 29, will sign a one-year contract that has a maximum value of $15 million, according to the sources.

Oh man, tell me you've got me on ignore without telling me you've got me on ignore.

So, I suppose those have Fields need to hold him for at least 2024, because you can’t get squat for him in a trade. After 2024 he’s either starting for the Steelers or playing somewhere else. He’s due 25M in 2025.
As of right now he's slated for FA in 2025.

He's an interesting guy for sure in both redraft and dynasty. Projects as a backup but even his biggest detractors in real life understand he's really good for fantasy as long as he's playing. Going to be hard for people to let go in dynasty. Imagine people will draft him late in redrafts, but most won't hold if he's not got the gig a few weeks into the season.
Johnny, he's not under contract in 2025, there is no cut that needs to be made for him to be an UFA in 2025.

You must be looking at something that assumed his 5th year option was picked up. It was not.
So, those who roster him are stuck with him another year, because they won’t be able to trade him. Great, a roster clogger.
That’s one take.

Another take is that these possibilities exist:
• use him as a gadget player. Sure, it kills Russ’ FF value, but potentially makes Fields start-able in SF format of he’s used often enough / in GL packages
• Russ gets hurt. Jackpot.
• PIT gets off to a terrible start. Russ is bad. Fields gets a shot, runs away with it. (Figuratively & literally). Jackpot.
• Another team needs a QB. Russ or Fields gets dealt. My bet is Russ, as PIT would want to find out what they have in Fields. Jackpot.
• Fields gets occasional mop-up duty, PIT likes what they see, signs him to an extension to be their starter in 2025. Worst of the best case options, but at that point “clogger” is replaced by patience.

so yeah - he’s a clogger until one of those things happens, but not like a carrying a 6th RB who’s 4th on his own depth chart or a WR like Mimms who was buried on the Jets depth chart forever. There’s some upside qitj Wilson.

Probably why I’ve had 4 (terrible) trade offers for him from leaguemates looking to buy low. 2 in my other league. None worth considering or countering but still telling that there’s interest.

I think the Bengals have been smarter than most during free agency. The lose guys, but sign better guys, or better contracts.

Solid under the radar signing yesterday: D’onta Foreman to the Browns.

At worst a depth signing if Chubb makes it back, and even if he doesn’t, could be a decent 1-2 punch with Ford.

At worst a depth signing if Chubb makes it back, and even if he doesn’t, could be a decent 1-2 punch with Ford.
Funny thing about Foreman is that he's always signing these 3rd string contracts and somehow ends up the starter. Does he have voodoo dolls of every starting RB of the teams he joins and is pushing needles into them?

Last edited:

Funny thing about Foreman is that he's always signing these 3rd strong contracts and somehow ends up the starter. Does he have voodoo dolls of every starting RB of the teams he joins and is pushing needles into them?
Have to give him credit from coming back from that Achilles. As a rookie, he was about to dust the overpaid Lamar Miller in Houston and then had that injury. Took him a few years to recover but has carved out a nice career. Would be interesting to see how good he could have been without that injury.

Here's an unpopular take:

I really think the evolution of the RB market has made the NFL much more interesting. Yeah yeah, sucks for fantasy, but whatever.

These teams are able to take $10 million, let's say. No longer is that going to your stud RB. And instead, teams are building these interesting committees. The Bears are 3 deep at RB, and the offseason has barely started. Teams are able to tailor their game plan to the opponent. Like Belichick did, some games James White would decimate a team.
There are some useful RBs in this draft, people who will become decent RBs, and next year's class is considered a monster at RB.

If there is a glut of good RBs, teams will find a way to use them.

I really think the evolution of the RB market has made the NFL much more interesting

I'll take Breece Hall all day and every day over a committee approach, and before anybody demurs and says that he's on a rookie deal remember that he's top of second round draft capital. That's an expensive pick up at that position.

But Breece and a guy like McCaffrey are way more fun and interesting to watch than these committee guys who are one-dimensional.

I really think the evolution of the RB market has made the NFL much more interesting

I'll take Breece Hall all day and every day over a committee approach, and before anybody demurs and says that he's on a rookie deal remember that he's top of second round draft capital. That's an expensive pick up at that position.

But Breece and a guy like McCaffrey are way more fun and interesting to watch than these committee guys who are one-dimensional.
I prefer the old school bell cow as well, unfortunately that is going the way of the dinosaur. The benefit for FFers is it does provide more options and flexibility, but I do miss the days of 25-30 carries a game from my back.

I prefer the old school bell cow as well, unfortunately that is going the way of the dinosaur. The benefit for FFers is it does provide more options and flexibility, but I do miss the days of 25-30 carries a game from my back.

Sure. It also depends on the bell cow. There's a bell cow like, say, a D'Onta Foreman. Guy can be a bell cow and tote the ball twenty-five times a game and hold up. But is he interesting to watch? I don't think so. So it's not the bell cow/workhorse compiler I'm after. It's the beautiful, fast, big, gamebreaker I'm looking for. So there you have your Halls and your McCaffreys and they make the game more "interesting," which is the criteria we're discussing.

Now the allocation of resources, especially a second contract for an RB, probably isn't wise. But I mean, we're not talking about the replacement level player and wise allocation of resources in a salary cap league in order to garner wins. We're talking about "interesting" to watch. Tell me your attention goes to these committee guys over Hall or McCaffrey. I mean, nobody that watches football can say that. It might not be wise for the team to pay them huge salaries, but as far as interesting goes, well . . . I think most of us see it.

Anyway, I just think that a running back that can do everything and has all those traits makes the game a better product to watch. I know they're generally going the way of the buffalo or dinosaur or whatever you have, and that's actually sad and diminishes the game a bit.

Guys will be and are changing positions, unless they're bound to be RBs because of their height. And I would actually postulate that RBs are getting shorter because anybody that athletic who has the height to play another position will likely do so unless the only other position they can play is linebacker. That's just a sense I get. It's something that will absolutely happen in the future.

Sure. It also depends on the bell cow. There's a bell cow like, say, a D'Onta Foreman. Guy can be a bell cow and tote the ball twenty-five times a game and hold up. But is he interesting to watch? I don't think so. So it's not the bell cow/workhorse compiler I'm after. It's the beautiful, fast, big, gamebreaker I'm looking for. So there you have your Halls and your McCaffreys and they make the game more "interesting," which is the criteria we're discussing.

Now the allocation of resources, especially a second contract for an RB, probably isn't wise. But I mean, we're not talking about the replacement level player and wise allocation of resources in a salary cap league in order to garner wins. We're talking about "interesting" to watch. Tell me your attention goes to these committee guys over Hall or McCaffrey. I mean, nobody that watches football can say that. It might not be wise for the team to pay them huge salaries, but as far as interesting goes, well . . . I think most of us see it.
Uh…yeah…I originally missed the point. Obviously “interesting” is pretty subjective. Oddly enough, I have seen Foreman make several what I consider incredible runs. I am probably in the minority where I actually enjoy defensive battles where every yard counts. As far as the players that meet all of your criteria of interesting, it is pretty rare. Anyway, not looking to go too far on the “interesting” topic so I will exit from this one.

As far as the players that meet all of your criteria of interesting, it is pretty rare.

Oh, I totally agree. And McCaffrey got a huge second contract and he's worth it. So might Hall if he stays healthy.

By the way, I didn't mean to come off as argumentative. I was just feeling my oats about great running backs. I don't think there's any shame in that game, but sorry if you felt like you got caught in the exuberant crossfire. I wasn't yelling at you or getting caustic; to the contrary, I was riffing off of what you were saying. Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread