What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2024 Combine/Pre-Draft Rumors*** (1 Viewer)

Interesting development - likely related to the S2 testing of CJ Stroud last year in which his supposedly poor test results were leaked.

Athletes First is directing its NFL Draft prospects not to participate in any cognitive testing in the pre-draft evaluation process this year. One of the leading agencies representing NFL players, Athletes First emailed NFL teams last month to notify them of the decision.

Three executives for two different NFL clubs confirmed that they received the email.

“After much internal discussion, the agents at Athletes First have directed our draft prospects to respectfully pass on participating in any cognitive or psychological testing during the pre-draft process (e.g. AIQ, S2, etc.),”

"Our recent experience with these exams has been less than positive. Specifically, the fact that certain results and performance were leaked publicly last year demonstrates that there truly is no confidentiality with these tests. It is not right for a player’s intelligence, aptitude or mental processing to be subject to public discussion and ridicule — no other job interview carries the same scrutiny."

Interesting development - likely related to the S2 testing of CJ Stroud last year in which his supposedly poor test results were leaked.

Athletes First is directing its NFL Draft prospects not to participate in any cognitive testing in the pre-draft evaluation process this year. One of the leading agencies representing NFL players, Athletes First emailed NFL teams last month to notify them of the decision.

Three executives for two different NFL clubs confirmed that they received the email.

“After much internal discussion, the agents at Athletes First have directed our draft prospects to respectfully pass on participating in any cognitive or psychological testing during the pre-draft process (e.g. AIQ, S2, etc.),”

"Our recent experience with these exams has been less than positive. Specifically, the fact that certain results and performance were leaked publicly last year demonstrates that there truly is no confidentiality with these tests. It is not right for a player’s intelligence, aptitude or mental processing to be subject to public discussion and ridicule — no other job interview carries the same scrutiny."

:blackdot:

I don't blame the players. Seems scores get leaked every year and it seems like it only happens when it tries to hurt a player.

Has there been a positive correlation shown between the test scores and NFL success at any position?

Won't be any leaks this year, boy.

Every TD Stroud threw was another shovel of dirt on the S2.

PFT just announced that Rosenhaus clients won't be taking the test either

Per Dane Brugler of TheAthletic.com, Iowa cornerback Cooper DeJean will not test next week after suffering a leg injury during a practice late in the 2023 season. Brugler adds that DeJean plans to work out for teams closer to the draft in late April.

I think he is a CB/S hybrid, and might not be as explosive as the other guys at the Combine, he probably wants to have his best numbers in a controlled environment.

FRISCO, Texas - Dallas Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy will not be at next week's NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis as he and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer continue to set the staff and changes to the scheme.

McCarthy said the workload capacity and time efficiency made more sense for them to remain at The Star.

"Zim and I will have a full week together here and cover a lot of ground with things we're working on," McCarthy said. "At the same time, we can still participate in the combine process and have direct contact through video calls and meetings, while having our coaches on the ground there as well."

Really?

So all the S2 leaked info was actually real and not Alexander Smirnov Intel?
If we being all gossipy about it, there's definitely a segment of draft Twitter that behave as if everyone knows Jeremiah was the leak.

Bob McGinn was the guy who broke it, he has all kinds of connections, so who knows.

FRISCO, Texas - Dallas Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy will not be at next week's NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis as he and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer continue to set the staff and changes to the scheme.

McCarthy said the workload capacity and time efficiency made more sense for them to remain at The Star.

"Zim and I will have a full week together here and cover a lot of ground with things we're working on," McCarthy said. "At the same time, we can still participate in the combine process and have direct contact through video calls and meetings, while having our coaches on the ground there as well."

Really?

@JourdanRodrigue

Rams brass will not attend the combine this year, which has been the case post-2020 but moved that direction prior. I wrote about many of the reasons why - and what they value through the pre-draft process - back in 2021. Events are still valuable to them.

Per Dane Brugler of TheAthletic.com, Iowa cornerback Cooper DeJean will not test next week after suffering a leg injury during a practice late in the 2023 season. Brugler adds that DeJean plans to work out for teams closer to the draft in late April.

I think he is a CB/S hybrid, and might not be as explosive as the other guys at the Combine, he probably wants to have his best numbers in a controlled environment.
I'd be a little surprised if DeJean wasn't among the most explosive DBs in the class. He won the Iowa State long jump and 100 meters in HS. Quinyon Mitchell is probably the only DB (among top-50 mocked guys) I feel is definitely more explosive.

how long until the combine becomes an event for only 2nd round talent and later?
whether it's teams not attending, or top players skipping certain workouts...

for me the combine really does nothing. i dont care about what kind of a gym rat these guys are... im sure there is SOME validity to all the data collected. but what they do on the field is 98% of it. off the field 1.9% and the gym is .1%

for me the combine really does nothing. i dont care about what kind of a gym rat these guys are... im sure there is SOME validity to all the data collected. but what they do on the field is 98% of it. off the field 1.9% and the gym is .1%
I think it is very useful, when used as a tool properly by NFL teams---and dynasty owners.
From a non-fantasy perspective, the best thing about the combine is that we start getting actual rumors that have basis in fact. Not every rumor is true, but this is when we start getting a clear picture on FA.

I think athleticism matters more than ever, at certain positions. The combine can give an idea of the guys who might be an outlier, physically. There are guys who might have nice tape, but their combine numbers will tell us that they most likely will need to be a wild outlier to make it in the league. There's a range of numbers at each position that mean they are plenty athletic enough, and that's really all that matters.

Once one receiver jumps 36", and another receiver jumps 39", who cares? Both athletic. But if the 5'9 slot guy jumped 32, and ran a 4.66, I think that matters.

how long until the combine becomes an event for only 2nd round talent and later?
whether it's teams not attending, or top players skipping certain workouts...

Well, that took just a few days.

MHJ and Caleb already out completely.

I think it is very useful, when used as a tool properly by NFL teams---and dynasty owners.
From a non-fantasy perspective, the best thing about the combine is that we start getting actual rumors that have basis in fact. Not every rumor is true, but this is when we start getting a clear picture on FA.

I think athleticism matters more than ever, at certain positions. The combine can give an idea of the guys who might be an outlier, physically. There are guys who might have nice tape, but their combine numbers will tell us that they most likely will need to be a wild outlier to make it in the league. There's a range of numbers at each position that mean they are plenty athletic enough, and that's really all that matters.

Once one receiver jumps 36", and another receiver jumps 39", who cares? Both athletic. But if the 5'9 slot guy jumped 32, and ran a 4.66, I think that matters.
While I agree those are numbers similar to Jarvis Landry put up.

Still depends on the player.

The two players I'm most interested in their performance at the combine are Brian Thomas Jr. and Adonai Mitchell. I believe the combine can help.....or hurt....either.

Bowers height and McCarthy's weight are two significant measurements I'm waiting to see.

McCarthy's on field workout, if he can address any issues with his arm strength, is probably the on field workout I'm most curious about as more of a real NFL type of thing more then a fantasy type of issue.

Other then that I'm mainly hoping the combine can help me better start to sort out the secondary tier or WR's and overall RB rankings. I do think in particular a few RB's are going to be seen as a lot more valued after the combine, still may not one go in top two rounds of the NFL draft, but a few we'll value higher.

Bowers height and McCarthy's weight are two significant measurements I'm waiting to see.

McCarthy's on field workout, if he can address any issues with his arm strength, is probably the on field workout I'm most curious about as more of a real NFL type of thing more then a fantasy type of issue.

Other then that I'm mainly hoping the combine can help me better start to sort out the secondary tier or WR's and overall RB rankings. I do think in particular a few RB's are going to be seen as a lot more valued after the combine, still may not one go in top two rounds of the NFL draft, but a few we'll value higher.

Everything I’ve seen indicates McCarthy has a howitzer. Have you seen differently?

Everything I’ve seen indicates McCarthy has a howitzer. Have you seen differently?
I have heard he has good arm, have heard some questions form some people about arm strength and if he can make all the throws or show that he can.

I can't recall the exact podcast I was listening to the past few weeks but one of them mentioned that the NFL likes to see you throw the go ball from the far hash, recall them saying that was one of Strouds throws he relied on the most but McCarthy only had 3 such attempts all year. He for sure likes to work the middle of the field, one of the things I like about him, and he shows good arm strength to me on those passes but I think he's not got a lot on tape of airing it out. Jeremiah was painting a picture of him as someone who likes to take a profit, just think he might need to show the NFL he can make all the throws and that might have been a better way to say it.

I have heard he has good arm, have heard some questions form some people about arm strength and if he can make all the throws or show that he can.

I can't recall the exact podcast I was listening to the past few weeks but one of them mentioned that the NFL likes to see you throw the go ball from the far hash, recall them saying that was one of Strouds throws he relied on the most but McCarthy only had 3 such attempts all year. He for sure likes to work the middle of the field, one of the things I like about him, and he shows good arm strength to me on those passes but I think he's not got a lot on tape of airing it out. Jeremiah was painting a picture of him as someone who likes to take a profit, just think he might need to show the NFL he can make all the throws and that might have been a better way to say it.

I gotcha. Should clarify- my comment said “everything I’ve seen” but really should have said everything I’ve read, because I haven’t watched him yet other than the National Championship game. So was just curious if there are other schools of thought.

Anyone have positive thoughts on QB Michael Pratt? I've watched this guy in a few games. He seems to always know where to go with the ball. He can run very well. I'm not sure he will shine in the combine with medium arm talent. There's some part of me that says next Brock Purdy. And another part that says won't ever play a meaningful snap in the NFL. I gotta think him and Milton are great mid-late round targets to get into camp and see what they can do against the big boys. Want to see what they bring at the combine.

Last edited:
Anyone have positive thoughts on QB Michael Pratt? I've watched this guy in a few games. He seems to always know where to go with the ball. He can run very well. I'm not sure he will shine in the combine with medium arm talent. There's some part of me that says next Brock Purdy. And another part that says won't ever play a meaningful snap in the NFL. I gotta think him and Milton are great mid-late round targets to get into camp and see what they can do against the big boys. Want to see what they bring at the combine.
Wonder if Milton would be a top 5 pick if he were 4 years younger. He has everything Anthony Richardson has, and when I watched the Vols his inaccuracy was just as glaring. Physical specimen.

I gotcha. Should clarify- my comment said “everything I’ve seen” but really should have said everything I’ve read, because I haven’t watched him yet other than the National Championship game. So was just curious if there are other schools of thought.
I kind of got on a kick on wanting to find out where I heard the convo of his arm concerns, was starting to bother me. I take my dog on these like hour long walks and that's where I listen to most of my podcasts and I could actually recall like exactly where I was on the walk where I heard a discussion of his arm strength concerns so it was bugging me I could not recall who said it. I finally found it and the source starts to make more sense now. I'm extremely selective on who I listen to or read, like for example I don't like to read or listen to "fantasy" experts unless I just have run out of stuff . Well I ran out of stuff so saw a podcast on Underdog sports with Hayden Winks(fantasy guy) and someone named Brett Kollmann who I think is a fantasy guy and/or internet scout and I don't pay them much mind either. Don't follow any of them, have seen some tweets from Kollman show up in my timeline other people retweeted and he seemed knowledgable enough so I gave it a listen. Both of them were saying McCarthy's arm strength was an issue and really they are why I don't like to listen to fantasy people or random internet scouts though I would at least give Kollmann credit for pointing out, accurately, how McCarthy was not asked to make certain throws with much frequency that the NFL would like to see you make.

Longish story short I could find not credible evidence of what they are saying or the people I do respect and listen to saying the same thing they were saying. I had posted in the McCarthy thread a great film breakdown from Ted Nguyen and watched it again. Went back over last two days and watched two full McCarthy game cut ups, one game I had already seen which was the Ohio St game. My personal non-professional scouting opinion is his arm is fine, NFL quality. I would not call it a strength, did flutter a few passes, but I for sure have not heard or seen anything from what I've watched or read that would indicate the league is concerned about his arm strength. His weight's a big deal, not his arm.

With the modern pervasiveness of GPS tracking of *in-game, in-pads athleticism*, does combine testing even matter at all anymore to anyone other than arm-chair scouts? Seems like more of a showcase, networking and speed (dating) interview affair now than anything else. And the Rams brass, who had perhaps the best draft I have ever seen (without a first round pick, mind you) last year, seem to agree. They have better things to do than partying in Indy this week.

Well the dumb talk has already started ... Chop Robinson and Laiatu Latu's arms are too short. :bored:

I thought one lf the new head coaches had an interesting take. He hadn't watched much tape on draft players as he had to quickly focus on Free Agents. He said talking to the combine players before seeing their tape had brought an interesting perspective. I assume he could weed out some players based on the interview, rather than slanting his opinion of their attitude based on their tape.

Last edited:
With the modern pervasiveness of GPS tracking of *in-game, in-pads athleticism*, does combine testing even matter at all anymore to anyone other than arm-chair scouts?
It would seem like it would not, right?

Then I see stuff like Jim Nagy tweeting out about how some scouts who really like a player hope he tests poorly so other teams won't like him as much. And sometimes I hear about how fast a team thinks a player will run and it surprises them. All of which makes me think it matters to some extent.

Users who are viewing this thread