What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 FBG, 172 to 1 Beatles Countdown 1-25 lists... And 173 to 1 Countdown from 1-64 lists! (8 Viewers)

Tomorrow Never Knows
2022 Ranking: 17
2022 Lists: 21
2022 Points: 382
Ranked Highest by: @DaVinci (1) @Pip's Invitation (1) @pecorino (1) @Eephus (1) @otb_lifer (1) @Ilov80s (2) @Dwayne Hoover (2) Craig (3) @FairWarning (3) @rockaction (6) @Ted Lange as your Bartender (6) Worth (8) @ProstheticRGK (8) @jamny (9) @wikkidpissah (10)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 29/8/135

Getz: FIVE 1st place votes!! Only THREE songs had more. NINE Top 3 votes!! Only FOUR songs had more. Moved up 12 slots in 2022, with 13 more voters and 247 more points.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  45

2019 write-up:

Tomorrow Never Knows (Revolver, 1966)

There's so much to say about this song, about its production, the various innovations, that I'm sure I'll leave a lot of important stuff out.  I love this song.  It could be such a ####### mess, but it's not.  I love the drums, and the wah-wah-wah-wah bird-type sounds (more on that below). The spooky vocals, the tambour, tambourines, the dissonance.  The fact that it's all (almost) entirely one damn chord.  It's aural collage unlike anything produced before it.

John's lyrics were inspired by Timothy Leary's The Psychedelic Experience, his interpretation of the philosophy of the Tibetan Book of the Dead.  While he initially wanted to call the song "The Void," he was afraid that would not be understood by the fans at this time, so he adopted a Ringoism for the title instead.  To be honest, I don't pay attention to these lyrics, but maybe others connect with them on a much deeper level than I'm capable of.  

For me, this is all about the music, including how Ringo and Paul keep it all together with the chaos that's going on about them.   There are so many innovations in this song that I won't discuss in detail, such as the backward reverb guitar parts, but I'll mention a few.  John instructed that he wanted his voice to sound "like the Dalai chanting from a mountaintop," which led to Geoff Emerick's idea to channel John's vocal through a Leslie speaker after the first verse.  The effect was that haunting, distant sound that matches perfectly with the lyrics.  

The drum sounds were also new to recording based on a couple of ideas.  Blatantly contravening EMI rules to keep microphones at least two feet from the drums, the microphones were put only a few inches away.  In addition, to dampen the ringing from the bass drum, a large sweater was stuffed in against the rear beater skin.  The results were these full, energetic drums heard on the record.  

As for the tape loops, these were originally from Paul, who was experimenting more with avant garde music at the time than the others, and who'd removed the erase-head from his home tape recorder, allowing additional sounds to be recorded each time the tape spooled through.  All the band members were given an assignment to make some tape loops and bring them back the studio, after which the group listened to the loops backward, forward, slowed down, sped up, any which way, until five were chosen, including the one that sounds like seagulls but is actually Paul laughing.  Then the loops were added to the track:  "Every tape machine in every studio was commandeered and every available EMI employee was given the task of holding a pencil or drinking glass to give the loops the proper tensioning.  In many instances, this meant they had to be standing out in the hallway, looking quite sheepish."  At the same time, in the control room Emerick and Martin "huddled over the console, raising and lowering faders to shouted instructions from John, Paul, George and Ringo.  (‘Let’s have that seagull sound now!’...)  With each fader carrying a different loop, the mixing desk acted like a synthesizer, and we played it like a musical instrument, too, carefully overdubbing textures to the prerecorded backing track."  As a result, the recorded version of this song could not possibly be re-produced.       

Mr. krista:  "The vocal thing that happens there is Lennon singing through a Leslie speaker, usually used with a Hammond organ, but Lennon sang vocals through it instead.  This happens all the time now.  But maybe never before this.  But still sounds so modern.  Sounds like it could have happened any time.  In terms of sound capture, this is an incredible record, and this is particularly an incredible track.  I doubt anyone had used multi-track recording quite like this.  There’s 24 tracks of wildly different sonic information with nothing to do with each other, but then assembled into a song that fits on the record…and it’s one chord!  There’s so much weirdness going on on that.  It’s so psychedelic."

Suggested cover:  Nah, that doesn't seem right for this one.  The genius is in the innovation and the one-time nature of the sound.

2022 Supplement:  The squillion paragraphs above leave me little to say that’s new, so check out Take 1, which was released in the Anthology series:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtmukKLZQUw   After hearing this played back, John asked that he be suspended from a rope in the middle of the room and given a push, and then he would sing into a mike below him while spinning ‘round.  This seems like the only idea for a special effect that the band DIDN’T use in this song! 

Paul was impressed with the final outcome of this song:  "Pretty stones, if you ask me! As time went on we had much more freedom. We had much longer to do things. But it actually spurred us on to do some new stuff, so the drum sound on this is, I love it!"  John, on the other hand, was characteristically unsatisfied with even this, one of my most brilliant works.  He had come to the song with a vision of hundreds of monks chanting, and when they didn’t do that, he never quite got the sounds he wanted:  “It was a little boring, and I really didn't like it.  I should have tried to get near my original idea, the monks singing. I realize now that was what I wanted.”

Guido Merkins

By 1966 the Beatles were ready to fully embrace the potential of the studio.  They had no plans to tour and therefore, didn’t care whether or not a song could be reproduced on stage.  To that end, the Revolver sessions began in 1966 with a song with the working title of Mark 1, a name that kind of sounds like an experimental model of a new song or something.  The song would eventually be given a throwaway Ringo-ism, Tomorrow Never Knows.

Revolver was a huge departure for the Beatles as a whole, but I can only imagine what the reaction was when listeners got to the last song on the album.  They must have been thinking “what on earth was that?”  Tomorrow Never Knows lyrics are from the Tibetan Book of the Dead and was written mostly on one chord, C major, with a slight change to B flat major on the word “dying” (it is not dying).  George Martin, to his credit, didn't scoff at this.  On the contrary, he thought it was interesting.

The first take of Tomorrow Never Knows could hardly be different from the finished version, and yet it is no less stunning.  John’s instruction was that he wanted to sound like the “Dali Lama singing on the highest mountain top, yet you can hear every word.”  Geoff Emerick thought putting John’s voice through a Leslie speaker would accomplish that, and it did.  That’s what you hear on Take 1 along with Ringo’s hypnotic beat and guitars also put through the Leslie speaker which achieves a sort of underwater sound.  You can hear take one on Anthology 2.

The final version was a series of tape loops, first suggested by Paul. Sounds of Paul laughing and sped up (the seagull sound), a mellotron on flute settings, an orchestral B flat major, and a sped up sitar.  The loops were fed into the recording desk, then the engineer “played” the faders on the desk like a synthesizer raising and lowering it at various points. George also played a tabla which was a background drone throughout.  John’s voice was treated by ADT, then switched over to the Leslie after the “solo.”  An out of tune honky tonk piano ends it all during the fade.

Tomorrow Never Knows still sounds like music of the future.  The hypnotic drum beat alone was a template for dance music for the next 40 years.  Any artist who uses samples or loops, in some way, are being influenced by Tomorrow Never Knows without even knowing it.  

It’s a brilliant piece of music and the Beatles at their most groundbreaking.
Tomorrow Never Knows

64 List Rank: 32

64 List Voters/Points: 15/535

64 List Top 5: 2 @Pip's Invitation (1) @otb_lifer (1)

64 List Top 10: 5 (7, 9, 10)

64 List 1-25 votes: 6 (21)

64 List 26-64 votes: 9

First song with a #1 vote and it received two.
First song with two Top 5 votes.
First song to have five Top 10 votes. 
Dropped 15 slots from the 2022 countdown. What?

Got To Get You Into My Life
2022 Ranking: 27
2022 Points: 264
Ranked Highest by: @jwb (1) @DocHolliday (3) @Dwayne Hoover (3) @Gr00vus (6) @Dr. Octopus (7) @DaVinci (9) @turnjose7 (11) @Just Win Baby (13) @ConstruxBoy (14) @MAC_32 (14) @Guido Merkins (15) @Uruk-Hai (15) 
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 20/13/167

JWB - #1. Got To Get You Into My Life – The perfect marriage between early and late Beatles. That Paul said it’s about weed makes it all the better.

Getz: Drops seven slots from 2019.

Krista4

My 2019 ranking:  61

2019 write-up:

Got To Get You Into My Life (Revolver, 1966)

There's Motown and there's Stax, and I'm Stax.  I love the horns, but they aren't Stax horns; with Memphis horns I'd rank it even higher.  The expansive jazzy feel of this song is phenomenal, though I wish they'd punched up the sound of the drums more in the mix.  I'm a huge fan of Paul's vocal throughout - he hits everything with extraordinary feeling - but I especially love the grittiness he gives to the chorus.  Geoff Emerick said that there was so much excitement for Paul's vocal that at one point during the recording John burst out of the control room to shout his encouragement.  George's guitar makes a brief but memorable appearance starting with the third chorus that punches everything up even more.  By the finish, the energy is off the charts. 

I always liked the lyrics to this and was disappointed to find that Paul wrote this as an ode to pot.  As an urgent plea to a lover, I like it better.

Mr. krista:  "Of course I like it.  It’s a big brassy Motown song, but still so British.  An American would never do the [singing] “I didn’t know what I would find theeere.”  Reminds me of all the good 70s theme songs.  Like Good Times.  Reminds me of the Good Times theme song.  Would be a great theme song for a comedy in the 70s that featured black people."

Suggested cover:  I didn't look for any others.   Earth, Wind & Fire

2022 Supplement:  As discussed elsewhere (I think?), the Beatles were introduced to pot by one of Bob Dylan’s entourage.  Paul expanded on the story in The Lyrics, saying that Dylan had disappeared into a back room of their hotel suite, and the Beatles thought he’d gone to the bathroom, until “Ringo came out of that back room, looking a bit strange.”  He told the others that Dylan had some weed (or whatever they called it then), and they asked him what it was like.  “Well, the ceiling is kind of moving; it’s sort of coming down.”  That was enough for the other Beatles to leap up eager to try it, too.  They were taking puffs, thinking it wasn’t working, so they just kept puffing and puffing and, “Suddenly, it was working.  And we were giggling, laughing at each other.  I remember George trying to get away, and I was sort of running after him, like a cartoon chase.” 

Paul, as he so often did, enjoyed the idea of masking an ode to pot as something else, something that wouldn’t get caught up by the censors.  (As an aside, it’s so quaint to think of “censors” objecting to “pot songs.”)  He made the song joyous, because that is how they viewed the drug at the time, before their experiences turned darker with other drugs, especially for John.  He’s described the song as “a rather sunny-day-in-the-garden type of experience.”  As much as the brass adds to this song, I think you can really hear what he describes more in this earlier take without brass, released in the Anthology series:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHon-sZpr8    

Guido Merkins

Paul’s ode to pot, Got to Get You Into My Life is typical of Paul.  Not outward writing a song about drugs, like John would with Dr Robert, but masking it as a love song.  Got to Get You Into My Life shows that Paul loved Motown and was listening to their songs to get ideas for his own.

Got to Get You Into My Life announces itself right from the beginning as an R&B influenced number with the awesome horn section.  Some hints to the songs real muse are the lines “I was alone I took a ride” and “another road where maybe I could see another mind there.”

The best parts of the song is Paul’s growl during the lines “got to get you into my life” and the awesome horns throughout.  Ringo is super solid here, as usual and George Harrison’s huge guitar riff near the end of the song really brings the song to another level.  And Paul’s thumping bass make the Motown connection obvious.

There is a version of Got To Get You Into My Life on Anthology 2 that is interesting, but really different from the finished version.  Heavy harmonium and much slower.  In this case, they were correct to speed it up and go with the Motown treatment

This is one of the few songs that someone did a really good cover of, Earth Wind and Fire covered this for the Sgt Pepper Movie by the Bee Gees, one of the only redeeming parts of that horrendous film.

64 List Rank: 31

64 List Voters/Points: 15/545

64 List Top 5: 1 @DocHolliday (3)

64 List Top 10: 1

64 List 1-25 votes: 8 (11, 15, 15, 15, 16, 18, 24)

64 List 26-64 votes: 7

I've Got a Feeling

64 List Rank: 35

64 List Voters/Points: 15/496

64 List Top 5: 0

64 List Top 10: 0

64 List 1-25 votes: 7 (14, 17, 19, 19, 20, 24, 24)

64 List 26-64 votes: 8

Another song that did 64 well with no Top 10 votes.
I am highest at 14.

Tomorrow Never Knows

I am highest at 1 (duh).

The rest of you are high for dropping it down to 32. 

I Saw Her Standing There

64 List Rank: 34

64 List Voters/Points: 16/497

64 List Top 5: 1 @ManOfSteelhead (5)

64 List 1-25 votes: 6 (12, 15, 15, 17, 23)

64 List 26-64 votes: 10

I had this #15
Just made it at 62.

64 List Rank: 31

64 List Voters/Points: 15/545

64 List Top 5: 1 @DocHolliday (3)

64 List 1-25 votes: 8 (11, 15, 15, 15, 16, 18, 24)

64 List 26-64 votes: 7
Just missed at 66. 

Tomorrow Never Knows

just me & ol' Pip, eh?

we do it right 🤘

Didn't the original get re-released (& chart) as a single in the mid-70s? 
I had to look it up, and it says it wasn't released as a single when Revolver came out in '66. It was released as a Beatles' single in 1976. I probably thought it was a Wings song back then, because they were on the airwaves all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowhere Man
2022 Ranking: 28
2022 Points: 263
Ranked Highest by: @Encyclopedia Brown (2) @landrys hat (3) @Guido Merkins (5) @Murph (7) @ekbeats (7) @zamboni (9) @Alex P Keaton (10) @Westerberg (11) @turnjose7 (13) @simey (14) @wikkidpissah (14) @FairWarning (14) @krista4 (17)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 31/10/124

Getz: Moves up three slots from 2019. Many Top 15 votes...

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  13

2019 write-up:

Nowhere Man (Rubber Soul, 1965)

John was struggling to come up with a new song, battling ennui and isolation in the London suburbs.  After several hours of frustration, he decided to lie down, and while he did, "Nowhere Man" came to him.  Though the song was a reflection of some despondency in his own life, John adopted a more Paul-like approach, writing it as if talking about an allegorical character.  (And in fact this song was used in Yellow Submarine as a song about sad but charming little Jeremy Hillary Boob.)  

The three-part harmonies in this song are incredible, not just in the notes they sing, but because their dreamy presentation does such an amazing job of on the one hand vivifying the melancholy lyrics, but on the other also weaving into the song as if to tell John he's not alone.  Paul's high harmonies at the end are especially chilling.  These lyrics are astonishingly good, summoning universal feelings of isolation and loneliness, but with hopeful notes as well (e.g., "the world is at your command").  It's almost like John is having a conversation with himself, emphasizing the downbeat lyrics of the verses in a downward motion of notes, but then bucking himself up on the bridges with brighter vocals and reminders that everyone goes through this and it will get better - not unlike what Paul was saying to Julian in "Hey Jude."  John's vocal is particularly sweet and vulnerable, making it one of my favorites; my favorite part is the hopefulness when he sings that line, "the world is at your command."  Every Beatle is phenomenal in support of the song's feel.  George's little fills are perfectly on-time supplements, and he and John support the lyrics well on their terrific double-tracked guitar solo that spirals down through the chords evoking the loneliness, but then ends with that hopeful high harmonic played by George to flow into the next verse.  George's work on this song is so distractingly excellent that I only recently started noticing Paul's bass line, and now I find it impossible not to focus on it; I'm convinced it's one of his best.

Mr. krista:  "Paul’s part at the end - that’s the best.  I love how the chime-y 12-string sounds like The Byrds if The Byrds were really good. Love how George Harrison really owned that sound. Particularly great lyrics.  That would have been an incredible band name – it says a lot without really saying anything.  Like I love the band Police Teeth…I don’t know what it means."

Suggested cover:  Low

2022 Supplement:  I can’t imagine being a person who could be trying to write a song, lie down, and then find “Nowhere Man” pop out from, ummmmm, nowhere:  “I remember I was just going through this paranoia trying to write something and nothing would come out so I just lay down and tried to not write and then this came out, the whole thing came out in one gulp.”

I also can’t imagine how the Beatles managed to sing this one live.  How can you do the harmonies like that through all the screaming?  Just another example of what an incredible live band they were.  Enjoy this version of the nearly isolated vocals on this track:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTOhJcqL90  What the hell does Paul do at the end of this song?  It’s beyond fantastic.

Guido Merkins

I think it’s safe to say that Rubber Soul represents the height of John Lennon’s creativity as a Beatle for sure.  Similar to In My Life, John was struggling to come up with something good and when he let it go, the whole of Nowhere Man came to him.  Lyrics, melody, etc.  

My experience with Nowhere Man makes it impossible to grade fairly. My mom was one of those screaming Beatles teenagers.  When I became old enough to recognize music, I realized my mom listened to the Beatles quite a bit.  I had experience with the early stuff.  A Hard Day’s Night, Help, She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand….that era.  I guess I thought that’s all there was.

Then came into my life the ‘Red” Greatest Hits album.  The A side of that cassette plus half of the B side were all songs I was familiar with.  However, when it came to the stuff starting with the Rubber Soul material, I was unfamiliar.  Out of that material, the one that most knocked me out was Nowhere Man.  It’s hard to explain why.  I identified with the lyrics.  I loved the sound, especially the strange sounding guitars and the solo with that ringing sound at the end.  And I loved the vocals.  The lead vocal with that sound which sounded different to me at the time (I don’t know that I had learned about John’s vocal sound) and the harmonies.  I didn’t know at the time that those guitars were drenched in treble and that ringing sound was something called a harmonic.  I hadn’t recognized the uniqueness of John as a lead singer yet or realized how good the Beatles were as harmonizers.  The whole thing just struck me as something different and special and, at the time, it was difficult to imagine that this was the same band that had done She Loves You or Love Me Do.  It just sounded so different.

When I got older and became a musician myself I realized why my ear was drawn to the line “Making all his nowhere plans for nobody…”  In the key of E, going from F#m to Am is INCREDIBLY unique and underscores again John’s quirkiness as a songwriter.  Someone who was trained would never do that, but John was just looking for a sound….and he got it.
Nowhere Man

64 List Rank: 30

64 List Voters/Points: 19/547

64 List Top 5: 1 @landrys hat (3)

64 List Top 10: 2 (10)

64 List 1-25 votes: 5 (12, 17, 18)

64 List 26-64 votes: 14

I had this #36

31 - 28 - 30 - Nowhere Man

We Can Work It Out
2022 Ranking: 29
2022 Lists: 25
2022 Points: 262
Ranked Highest by: @Encyclopedia Brown (4) @Ted Lange as your Bartender (4) @Eephus (6) @worrierking(9) @Uruk-Hai (10) @Westerberg (10) @Dinsy Ejotuz (12) Daughter and Son1 (14) @Yankee23Fan (15) @MAC_32 (15)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 19/14/176

Getz:  Eleven more votes and 86 more points than 2019, and still dropped 11 slots from back then. Next tier from #30 Hey Bulldog, with 24 more points. The next three songs have 263, 264 and 265 points. So it was quite the battle for the #25 slot, which finished at 270 points.
First song to get 25 votes. Only six of them were in the Top 10.
I had this at #20, down five slots from 2019's #15.

Krista4

My 2019 ranking:  47

2019 write-up:

We Can Work It Out (single, 1965)

This whole thing was a bad idea.  Whose idea was this?  I don't mean the song; I mean ranking the songs.  Killing me.  

Anyway, love this song.  Always a big fan of songs where Paul and John each contributed significantly, and in this one George also made a major impact.  It's no surprise that Paul wrote the optimistic verses as he tried to work through his relationship with Jane Asher, a relationship that will also be at the heart of, and treated more negatively in, "You Won't See Me" and "I'm Looking Through You."  John contributed the more downbeat bridge, but it was George's idea to put the bridge in waltz time.  Nifty thought that raises the song to a whole new level.   As usual in these collaborative songs, the verses show their optimism in sunny major chords, while the bridge falls into a minor key to emphasize the pessimism.  Both Paul and John are in excellent voice on this song, but I think Paul's the standout with that pure vocal sound and those high harmonies; it's one of my favorite Beatles performances from him.  This was the first song in which the Beatles used the harmonium that would later show up more frequently, and I love the use of the volume pedal on it by whoever was playing it.  

This was a double-a-side single along with "Day Tripper," still to come, the first double-a-sided single released in the UK.  In the US, the popularity was tracked separately, with this song hitting #1 but "Day Tripper" only reaching #5.  Probably not at the level of Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields for "best double-a-single ever," but should be in the conversation. 

Mr. krista:  "Pretty good single.  The lyrics are funny to me.  It’s about working it out, but it’s all about hectoring the other people into agreeing with your point of view.  And time will tell you that I’m right.  Those are really bad arguing tactics, Sir Paul.  I still think it’s a really good song; it just makes me laugh.  It’s a song about cooperation, but it’s so not."

Suggested cover:  Here we have it, my favorite cover of any Beatles song:  Stevie Wonder

2022 Supplement:  Oddly enough, Mr. krista seemed to have it right in 2019 analysis, as Paul has recently acknowledged the selfishness of the song, pointing out that “we can work it out” should have been the simple message without adding “try to see it my way”:  “…you can spread a good message: ‘We can work it out.’  If you wanted to say it in one line, it would be ‘Let’s not argue.’  If you wanted to say it in two lines:  ‘Let’s not argue / Listen to me.’  Obviously, that is quite selfish, but then so is the song.”

Paul recounts writing this immediately after an argument with Jane Asher, feeling that he could only work it out (see what I did there) while it was fresh in his mind.  Though he tried both to work out his feelings with the song and work out his relationship with Jane as the song optimistically predicted he could, they did break up soon thereafter.  One thing I’ve noticed in reading Paul’s words is how often he discusses Jane’s mother Margaret, and in discussing this song and the subsequent break-up, he has relayed that losing Jane led to losing Margaret, which was devastating to him as if he had lost a mother for the second time.  His affection for the Asher family, who let him live in their home and treated him fully as a son, and his wonder at seeing such a “posh” lifestyle that was miles from what he’d ever known before, make me think he might have loved being part of the family more than having strong affection for Jane, lovely as she was.

Please follow me for more armchair psychoanalysis of people I don’t know.

Guido Merkins

John and Paul were both complete songwriters.  Both could write words and music and both created many different styles of song.  Often the stereotype is that John writes songs that are moodier and Paul writes songs that are happy.  These are too simple to be true (John wrote Julia and Paul wrote Helter Skelter), however within these stereotypes, there is an element of truth.  They often worked best together when John put a little weight behind Paul’s sunnier outlook.  Sometimes they did this song by song.  Sometimes they did it within the same song. We Can Work It Out is perhaps the best example of this.

Paul wrote We Can Work It Out after a disagreement with Jane Asher saying “We can work it out, we can work it out” the very optimistic verse.  John wrote the impatient middle “life is very short and there’s no time…”  The most distinctive element of the song is the harmonium played by John and the waltz time during the middle, suggested by George.  Also I love the ying and the yang of the song, a trick the Beatles would use in the future on songs like A Day in the Life and Getting Better.  

Important to note that there was great disagreement over which would be the A side on this single, We Can Work It Out or Day Tripper.  Paul and George Martin wanting We Can Work It Out and John wanting Day Tripper.  The solution was a first for the Beatles, and maybe a first for anybody, a double A sided single.  This is something the Beatles would use several other times in the future to keep the peace between the very competitive John and Paul.
We Can Work it Out

64 List Rank: 29 RingoBingoTM

64 List Voters/Points: 18/549

64 List Top 10: 1 (10)

64 List 1-25 votes: 5 (12, 19, 19, 22)

64 List 26-64 votes: 13

I had this at #33

Day Tripper
2022 Ranking: 32
2022 Points: 231
Ranked Highest by: @FairWarning (2) @Getzlaf15 (7) @Man of Constant Sorrow (7) @Encyclopedia Brown (7) OH (dad) (8) Rob (9)  @heckmanm (11) @ProstheticRGK (12) @DocHolliday (12) @Ted Lange as your Bartender (13) 
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 24/10/151

Getz: #13 for me in 2019. Moves into my Top 10 and #7 this time.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  42

2019 write-up:

Day Tripper (single, 1965)

This one stayed grouped tightly with "I Feel Fine" during most of my maneuverings, with the two flip-flopping frequently but staying close in ranking.  Until I spontaneously decided to rank "I Feel Fine" lower (for Binky:  "higher"), the two were in pretty much the opposite positions than where they ended up.  I'm still not sure which one I prefer.  I think of them similarly primarily because they both feature outstanding riffs.   When I had "I Feel Fine" in this position, it was because of the downward repeated guitar solos and the drumming, and when this one was higher (Binky:  "lower"), it was because it rocks harder and has a vocal that I prefer, though it's hard to follow the lead since Paul and John trade off and weave in and out of unison and harmonies as well.  

As mentioned in the "We Can Work It Out" write-up, this was the double-a-side to that song, though in the US it did slightly worse in the charts than its sister-a-side.  Paul later indicated the song is about drugs, specifically LSD, though the band downplayed that significantly at the time.  John's comments were at times more mysterious, saying it was about "weekend hippies" that only took day trips, "usually on a ferryboat or something" and at times more blunt:  "It was a drug song."

Mr. krista:  "Yeah, I love that song.  Classic riff.  It’s one of those things you think of if you think of classic rock, if you’re one of the unfortunate type of people who have to think of classic rock, or think of things as classic or not.  I’m not going to keep harping on how good of a drummer Ringo is.  I’m just going to keep saying things like, 'I’m not going to keep harping on how good of a drummer Ringo is.'"

Suggested cover:  I didn't have to look any up for this, since Otis exists.  Love how he seems either not to know or not to care about the lyrics.

2022 Supplement:  I’ve found myself turning to this song less and less over the past few years, and it would likely drop out of my top 50 today, to be replaced by (not at all) new, shiny objects.  My love for the song chiefly surrounds that heavy guitar riff, with its unusual placement front and center at both the beginning and end of the song.  Is it the most well-known riff in a Beatles song?  Perhaps.  Is it the most well-known riff in any song?  Also perhaps.  Recorded in the midst of the pronounced folk influence on most of Rubber Soul, I can see why this fierce, heavy rock song went the single route instead.

A couple of earlier instrumental versions for you to enjoy more of that riff as well as excellent work by John and Ringo:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OB3zsE4X1Y

And a hilarious attempt by the boys at lip-synching this song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_stP3VkAb0

Guido Merkins

A Day Tripper was a person who was committed to tripping but not fully.  Like a weekend alcoholic.  It was written as a 12 bar blues for the verses, which wasn’t super common with the Beatles.  The song also has a line that says “she’s a big teaser”, which was originally “she’s a ##### teaser.”  Obviously they had to change it.

John claimed he wrote the whole thing.  Paul claims they both wrote the song, so I listed it as both.  

The best parts of the song is the riff and the harmony.  I also like the Twist and Shout style ahhhhhhhhh that builds up, but this one is a little different in that they all go up together instead of each of them holding their note.  Also, the guitar solo in the background during that part is very very cool.  One other detail, which was cleaned up with the 2009 remaster, but I kind of miss it, is the guitar line dropping out after the line “tried to please her….”  Not sure if this was on the mono version or not, but it was definitely on the stereo version.  I love mistakes.  You never hear mistakes on songs anymore because they are mostly made by computers, but I love little mistakes.  It makes it human.

There was some debate about which would be the A side Day Tripper or We Can Work It Out, so they made both of them an A side, a first for the Beatles and maybe a first for anybody.  Once again, two songs this strong on one single is crazy.
Day Tripper

64 List Rank: 28

64 List Voters/Points: 18/560

64 List Top 10: 1 (8)

64 List 1-25 votes: 6 (12, 13, 21, 21, 25)

64 List 26-64 votes: 12

I had this #8.

24 - 32 - 28 - Day Tripper

Penny Lane
2022 Ranking: 24
2022 Lists: 26
2022 Points: 280
Ranked Highest by: @Dennis Castro (2) @Yankee23Fan (7) @FairWarning (7) Son2 (8) @AAABatteries (9) @Uruk-Hai (11) @whoknew(11) @worrierking (14) @DaVinci (14) @Dinsy Ejotuz (15) @Just Win Baby (15)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 14/18/247

Getz:  2019 - Two 3rds and a 5th vote.  2022 - One 2nd vote. That’s quite a hit from 2019. 26 voters in 2022, is more than six songs yet to show up. Five had this at #11 and four had it at #15 and #25. 12 more votes in 2022, but only 33 more points.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  86

2019 write-up:

Penny Lane (single, 1967)

From the beginning, I knew that this would be one of two absolutely beloved songs that I don't dig as much as other people do (little did I know The Fool on the Hill was a third), and that it would rank on my list much lower than it would be on any list of "best" Beatles songs.  Of course I love the song, or it wouldn't be this high, but it clearly doesn't connect with me the way it does for most other people.  The best explanation I have is that, as I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, I mostly don't get nostalgia as a concept.  And if I look at this in comparison to the "nostalgia" of the other a-side of the same single, "Strawberry Fields Forever," I prefer the slight angst of the latter to the idyllic descriptions of this one.  It's sweet and lovely, but I must like the edgier parts of life.

There's a lot I love about this song, though.  It is perfectly polished and clean, and it lilts in a way that puts a smile on my face.  Love that piccolo trumpet.  If some of John's lyrics can read like poetry, I think this song shows that Paul can do the same; I especially love the opening line:  Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs, of every head he's had the pleasure to know.  That's lovely imagery.  And I'm very taken with the rises and falls and especially the way the refrains rise back into the verses.  I even enjoy the modulation near the end, which is a device I'm not usually keen on.  There's nothing I would change about this song; as it is it's a perfect love letter to where they grew up.  Most days, though, there are just ~85 songs I'd rather listen to. 

I'm sure others here could do a better job of detailing what's great about the song.  So instead of saying, "top 10 for me!!!111" let us know what you love about it, too.   

Mr. krista:  "You could take all the songs from the last four records and make a nifty musical, and I won’t give a #### about any of them."  [NOTE:  I don't remember what he was talking about here.]

Suggested cover:  Elvis Costello

2022 Supplement:  While one of Paul’s most beloved songs still didn’t make it to my top 25 again this year, I continue to appreciate it more as the years go by.  I’m talking, of course, of “Let It Be.”  This one?   [whispers] I still don’t like this one as much as the rest of you do.  Paul does, though!  His favorite line is the one I called out as mine, too, because he imagines the barbershop as being like a gallery displaying an exhibition of paintings in its window, and you can go in and say, “I want the Tony Curtis” or whatever.  Reminds me of when Mr. krista told a barber in Nicaragua he wanted “The Clooney.”  That didn’t turn out so well.

Well…moving on!

Guido Merkins

Penny Lane is a district in Liverpool that Paul spent time in as a child.  Ironically, it was John who first mentioned Penny Lane in a early draft of what would become "In My Life", but he didn't like it.  Listing a bunch of places and trying to tell stories about it wasn't in John's wheelhouse, BUT it was in Paul's.  

Unlike Strawberry Fields Forever, there aren't a bunch of outtakes and demos of Penny Lane.  Why?  because Paul was musically more literate and more aware of what he wanted in a song that he wrote.  This is probably why both John and George reported that Paul never wanted input on his songs.  Paul usually knew what he wanted.  Paul started with the song on piano and layered everything else on top.  He wanted a very clean recording, so they recorded everything on a separate track.  Paul heard Brandenburg Concerto and heard a piccolo trumpet and wanted to use it for Penny Lane.  They did and it's the most distinguishing characteristic of the final recording.  Penny Lane is told about various places and characters that Paul remembers from his childhood.  The "pretty nurses", "firemen", "barber", etc.  Like John, however, Paul also tells his story in a slightly surreal and vivid way. The barber with "every head he's had the pleasure to know" or the pretty nurses who "feels as if she's in a play". The banker "never wears a mac in the pouring rain".  And all of it is "very strange". Even a little smut with the phrase "finger pie."

Notice, Paul knew exactly what he wanted, unlike John with Strawberry Fields Forever.  Second, the melody is rangy and bounces along on more than just a few notes.  Third the chord progression is a bit more standard than John.  It almost sounds like a standard from the Great American Songbook.  Fourth, Paul writes from his experience, but it's not about himself directly.  He is story telling his own experiences in Penny Lane, what he saw and what he heard.  In this case, you don't learn about what Paul actually thought about his childhood, just that he remembers this stuff.

Strawberry Fields Forever along with Penny Lane are, IMO, the greatest single the Beatles every released (and maybe the greatest anyone’s ever released) so it went straight to #1 in the UK, right?  Nope, the first single since Love Me Do to not reach #1.  Englebert Humperdink’s Release Me, of all things, kept this unbelievable single at #2.  Strange but true facts.
Penny Lane

64 List Rank: 27

64 List Voters/Points: 18/568

64 List Top 10: 1 (9)

64 List 1-25 votes: 9 (11, 12, 14, 18, 22, 24, 25, 25)

I had this #35

Get Back
2022 Ranking: 26
2022 Lists: 23
2022 Points: 265
Ranked Highest by: @falguy (3) @ConstruxBoy (4) @prosopis (4) @Getzlaf15 (5) @heckmanm (6) @jwb (7) @Wrighteous Ray (8) @Pip's Invitation (9) @rockaction (13) @jamny (13) @Westerberg (15)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 53/8/63

Getz: Misses Top 25 by 5 points  :kicksrock:  No bandwagon here as I had this at #16 in 2019. #5 this time. I found 7 of the 8 voters from 2019, and only @worrierking also had it back then. The other five didn't vote this time. So 15 more voters, 202 more points and moves up 27 slots.  I wonder why?    Rank it 63rd?  I wanna hit her with that frying pan I tell you!  :D

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  63

2019 write-up:

Get Back (Let It Be, 1969)

John called this "a better version of 'Lady Madonna'," and I agree.  Adding Billy Preston elevates any song about 16 levels, and this is no exception - his electric piano shines throughout the song and gives it an excellent groove, and Preston was actually featured on the label of this single ("The Beatles with Billy Preston"), being the only non-Beatle ever so credited.  This also features a great guitar solo by...John!  I've a special fondness in my heart for this song being the opener and closer of the London rooftop show, and the guys seemed to have a fabulous time with it.  Well, maybe not George, who never looked like he was enjoying that performance.  

This is a fun groove but doesn't get me rocking the way it does for some people; I almost feel like I don't quite understand the song.  This might be a function of its history, as it was meant to be a satirical look at the UK's racial unrest at the time.  But eventually some of the lyrics were dropped as being too open to possible misinterpretation, such as an entire section on Pakistani people that included the line, "Don't dig no Pakistani taking all the people's jobs."  Paul was likely right to drop all that, as evidenced by the fact that when those versions were discovered, the group was accused of racism when, of course, they were instead trying to make an anti-racist statement.  But in losing the political statements, the song might have lost some of the edge or grittiness that I wish I heard in it.  The grittiness is there in each of the covers I've linked below.  Still an awesome song that's painful to rank in the 60s.

Mr. krista:  "It’s the Billy Preston and Ringo show.  And Paul McCartney – the bass is really good.  I like Ringo’s galloping bumpadudump.  My least favorite part is Paul’s vocals, and the lyrics are dumb."

Suggested cover:  Actually I like each of these better than the Beatles version.  Al Green   Billy Preston, naturally  Holy hell you can try to tell me there's a sexier woman than Tina Turner in her prime but I won't believe you

2022 Supplement:  Well, I’m not sure there’s much new to say now that the documentary has dropped.  Even though this is still not one of my top favorites from Let It Be, seeing Paul pull the song out of thin air might have been, aside from the rooftop performance itself, the most amazing scene in the doc.  Watching them in a later rehearsal was great fun, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVi8V5_jHRo

Paul has indicated that the song “Get Back” contains a wistful aspect. He knew that the band was breaking up, and he was hopeful that they could “get back” to their roots, how they were in Liverpool, before they did so.  The idea of “getting back” was also imbued in the song’s style of flat-out rock and roll.  Paul desperately wanted them to become “a damn good little band” again, to be the group that simply knew how to fall in with each other and play together.  While John was escaping to a new place in his new relationship with Yoko, Paul in his own words thought they “should escape to an old place.”  He knew it was impractical, and he says the others laughed at the notion, but Paul’s dream was to get back to where they once belonged.  Eventually, Paul says he came to a place where he didn’t just accept John’s decision to leave the band, but to where he actually admired John for it, for his ability to “get back” to a new place instead of an old one.

Guido Merkins

I loved the Get Back movie by Peter Jackson.  It really put a more balanced spin on January 1969.  One of my favorite parts is one morning when they are still at Twickenham and John is late (again) Paul just starts strumming his bass and gets a rhythm going.  It seems to be very random.  George and Ringo look kind of bored, but Paul starts humming the unmistakable melody of Get Back, within like 2 minutes.  Suddenly Ringo and George are paying attention and soon after, Paul has “get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged.”  I’m sure everyone can make up a #1 song and a rock classic in just a few minutes, right?  Right?

Get Back is a great, rocking track that features Paul on bass, Ringo on drums, Billy Preston on organ, John on lead guitar and George on rhythm guitar.  John was on lead because George quit the group temporarily and John worked out the solo.  The guitar solo and the organ solo are outstanding on the song.  Ringo, as usual, hit’s the perfect shuffle rhythm on the song, on fact he starts clapping said rhythm within the first 2 minutes of Paul making up the riff.  It’s an amazing moment.  Maybe the most amazing moment in the whole 8 hours. 

John called the song “a better version of Lady Madonna” which, I love Lady Madonna, so I guess that’s really good.  The song is also notable in that there is the infamous “No Pakistanis” verse that was originally in the song that was taken out.  This has been colored by some people as proof that the Beatles were racist, but it was actually an anti racist verse because he was speaking against a prevailing anti immigrant feeling in Britain at the time.  

Also there is some confusion about the version of Get Back on the Let It Be album.  Phil Spector edited it to make it sound like it was played live on the roof, but the truth is, it was just the single version with the ending edited out and John edited in saying “I’d like to say thank you on behalf of the group and myself I hope we passed the audition.”  There were 3 versions of the song done on the roof and, for whatever reason, they were not included on the Let It Be album.
Get Back

64 List Rank: 26 RingoBingoTM

64 List Voters/Points: 16/585

64 List Top 5: 3 @Getzlaf15 (2) @falguy (3) @ConstruxBoy (3)

64 List Top 10: 5 (6, 9)

64 List 1-25 votes: 8 (20, 20, 21)

64 List 26-64 votes: 8

These are crossed off...

10  Nowhere Man                  Although it dropped two spots in the rankings, the song moved from #14 to #10 for me. 
22  We Can Work It Out
51  Penny  Lane
56  Day Tripper                       On another day this song could drop some spots for me. 

There are five other songs (four of them had one top 5 vote) that would be very reasonable guesses for this answer. And you nailed both!  Very well done!!    :clap:
Nicely done - I haven't been tracking to see what's still left, but knowing these 2 I'd have guessed the former but not the latter.

::OtB AFTERNOON SPECIAL::

in honor of @Pip's Invitation joining me in crowning TNKs as King Beatles tune, here's a vid of some cat getting a surprise while shopping for platters ... with some familiar friends providing some musical backdrop. 

That was amazing.  And what a time capsule.  "You take Bank Americard?"  Old-fashioned credit card machine, corded telephone, guy selling 8-tracks to the store, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was amazing.  And what a time capsule.  "You take Bank Americard?"  Old-fashioned credit card machine, corded telephone, guy selling 8-tracks to the store, etc.

the real star is actually the kid ... had ZERO effs to give about who was in there, was totally nonplussed and oblivious to the "star" ... just wanted to do the right thing by his employer. 

felt almost like a skit, in that regard ... ended well for all parties, very cool. 

the real star is actually the kid ... had ZERO effs to give about who was in there, was totally nonplussed and oblivious to the "star" ... just wanted to do the right thing by his employer. 

felt almost like a skit, in that regard ... ended well for all parties, very cool. 

Yeah, loved that kid.  Did everything right.

Taxman
2022 Ranking: 22
2022 Lists: 22
2022 Points: 285
Ranked Highest by: @FairWarning (1) @Gr00vus (2) @heckmanm (5) @Oliver Humanzee (5) @wikkidpissah (5) @DocHolliday (6) @Encyclopedia Brown (8) @Dwayne Hoover (10) @Anarchy99 (10) @Pip's Invitation (11) Sharon (12) @Alex P Keaton (13) @otb_lifer (14)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 34/7/114

Getz: Another song that did surprisingly well in 2022. Up 12 slots on 15 more votes and 171 more points. Wasn’t a fan in 2019 at all. But the song has grown on me in the past year. Maybe because I keep getting hit hard by the man and seeing my dollars wasted instead of helping others.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  32

2019 write-up:

Taxman (Revolver, 1966)

George's "Oh, so this is what happens to grown-ups" song where he, like the rest of us, first gets a paycheck and sees the government bite out of it.  Unlike my first job at an ice cream joint paying me $2/hour, George perhaps could have afforded to pay a little more, but I can't blame him for protesting what was in fact a 90-95% combined income tax rate in his bracket at the time. Then he learned that the taxes wouldn't even go away when you die due to the "death tax" ("Now my advice for those who die; declare the pennies on your eyes.").  George wasn't the only Beatle upset by this - they all expressed their disgust with this at one time or another.  In fact, since John helped George with the lyrics to this song - notably the lines about the current Prime Minister Mr. Wilson and the opposition party leader and future Prime Minister Mr. Heath - I wouldn't be surprised if some of that cynicism crept into the song from John himself.    

This song represented a first for George, as it was the first time he was given such a coveted spot on a Beatles record - opening track on side one.  This placement as well as the significant time the group put into the song's production indicate to me that this was considered to be one of the record strongest songs...on a record where pretty much every song was insanely good.  Until this thread, I had no idea this was a love/hate song; I assumed all reasonable people loved it.    I assume that those who hate it are mostly turned off by the lyrics, which would be understandable.  Sometimes I find them terribly clever, especially the bridge; sometimes they strike me as irritating or worse as childish or self-serving.  It's my ambivalence over the lyrics that leads to this song missing the top 25.  

wikkid mentioned after I ranked "She's A Woman" that this was the same song.  I should let him point out what he sees as the similarities, but among other things I think the stabby guitars sound similar, and as with the other song, I love that part of this one.  I don't much like Paul's husky vocal on "She's A Woman," though, and prefer George's clear but sneering performance here.  I love the harmonies that come into the call-and-response-style bridge, building to a frenzy that is heightened by the searing guitar solo that follows.  I even love the slightly disturbed-sounding count-in that's not really a count-in, as you can here in the distance the real count-in, all of this harkening back to "I Saw Her Standing There" while simultaneously announcing that this is going to be different.  

The highlights for me, though, are in the bass line/drums, as well as that crazy, brilliant guitar solo.  Credit for almost all of those items goes to Paul.  First, he and Ringo establish a wicked groove with the ever-changing, impossibly quick bass lines and percussion.  Love how these are punctuated after each line of the verse with those cymbal crashes followed by jabby, jarring crashes of simultaneous dueling minor and major chords on the guitars.  Am I the only one who sings "Taxman!!" to those chords even though no one else is singing?  Most importantly, despite this being a George song, Paul performs the guitar solo.  According to Geoff Emerick, "George had a great deal of trouble playing the solo – in fact, he couldn’t even do a proper job of it when we slowed the tape down to half speed.  After a couple of hours of watching him struggle, both Paul and George Martin started becoming quite frustrated.  So George Martin went into the studio and, as diplomatically as possible, announced that he wanted Paul to have a go at the solo instead."  ( @OrtonToOlsen alert.)  Paul told this story slightly differently, indicating that he went to George with an idea for the solo, bringing in an Indian element, and that George suggested he play it.  Despite Emerick's further claim that George was pissed that Paul stole the solo, George stated in an interview in the 1980s that he was pleased to have had Paul play and appreciated that he brought in the Indian feel that George was so intrigued by at the time.  However it came about, there's no doubt that the solo, which was done in one or two takes, was fiercely energetic and stunning, so much so that they decided to re-use it by dubbing it (along with its backing track) over George's vocal at the end of the song.  

Also there's cowbell.

Mr. krista:  "What planet does that guitar solo come from? The 1,2,3,4 is nowhere near the tempo. I’m not sure but I feel like the solos and leads were recorded one way and played backwards.  There’s a real Indian quality.  Ringo’s drums have never sounded like that before.  Just a killer way to open a record.  Doesn’t get any better.  It rocks so hard.  It’s like here, guys, it’s a different thing now.  Surpasses the juvenile lyrics.  Bass line is straight out Jamerson/Motown.  Using his fingers but really heavy, walking all over without stepping on anybody.  He and Ringo just right there – bam."

Suggested cover:  Junior Parker

2022 Supplement:  This song snuck onto my list in the #25 spot this year.  Someone alert the Harrison family!  Am I sure it’s in my top 25?  Of course not, since I’m sure of very little when it comes to Beatles songs.  But the acerbic but clever lyrics that seem to “build” over the course of the song, the bass line, the stabby guitars, and Paul’s guitar solo continue to make it one of my top songs and one of a handful of my favorites from George.

Taxman can be seen as kind of a turning point for George.  Not only, as I mentioned in 2019, did he get his first truly prominent spot on the album, but it was this song that led John to realize that George had become an excellent songwriter.  John claims that he helped George with the lyrics here because Paul wouldn’t, a claim I find doubtful given all the other evidence of Paul helping out on this and other George songs, while John often disappeared when it came to George’s songs.  But whether or not John did participate, he acknowledged that this song changed the dynamic among the three of them, becoming a real songwriter at this point, when prior to that John considered himself and Paul as the only ones (despite George’s prior efforts).  After he became “a composer” in John’s eyes, he produced some of his best and most memorable works with the Beatles on the White Album and Abbey Road.

A near-complete version of this song, with irritating falsetto vocals by John and Paul, was released as part of Anthology 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DGn7eUU4kA  This was their last recorded version on the first day of working on this song, and I’m glad they came back the next day to try it again.  This wouldn’t sniff my top 25 with those falsetto parts.

Guido Merkins

Paying taxes is an unfortunate part of life.  When we first realize how much of our money goes to taxes, it can be a little shocking.  Imagine you are a famous rock star in the 1960s and 9 out of every 10 dollars goes to the taxman.  George Harrison realized this and wrote a song called Taxman as a protest against it.

Taxman was a Harrison song given the opening spot on the Revolver album for the first (and only) time.  Lyrics like “one for you 19 for me” and “declare the pennies on your eyes” and “if you get too cold, I’ll tax the heat” make it obvious George is anti-taxation.  He even calls out politicians Wilson and Heath.  John helped him with the lyrics, recalling that Paul “wouldn’t have helped him” and that he didn't want to, but did it because he loved George.

The best part of the song, without a doubt, is the unreal guitar solo played by Paul.  Geoff Emerick in his book, which was very anti-Harrison, made it seem like George couldn’t do the solo so Paul showed him up.  Paul and George both tell a very different story claiming that Paul had an idea for the solo, so Paul played it.  George said he was very happy to have Paul play it and he even put a little Indian thing on it.  In any event, it’s one of the best solos of the 1960s (certainly up to that point, and holds it’s own with the late 60s too) to my ear.  It was so good, they flew it in over the outro as well.  

The rest of the song is just as good with everyone else.  George playing the non-solo lead part.  Ringo and Paul cooking in the engine room and John chiming in with great background vocals with Paul. 
Taxman

64 List Rank: 25

64 List Voters/Points: 19/593

64 List Top 5: 2 @heckmanm (4) @Oliver Humanzee (5)

64 List Top 10: 3 (6)

64 List 1-25 votes: 9 (11, 14, 21, 23, 24, 25)

64 List 26-64 votes: 10

I had this at #53

Helter Skelter
2022 Ranking: 35
2022 Lists: 20
2022 Points: 211
Ranked Highest by: @otb_lifer (3) @wikkidpissah (3) @jamny (5) @ConstruxBoy (10) @Oliver Humanzee (12) @Pip's Invitation (12) @Alex P Keaton (14) 
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 47/11/80

Getz: First song to get 20 votes.Top song in this tier that never cracked the Top 25 while counting the votes.  Meaning the final 34 all appeared in the Top 25 while processing the votes. Just like all of us had to deal with. LOL. Nice bump up from 2019, 12 slots higher with nine more votes and 131 more points. I had this at #21, after not ranking it in 2019. Fab 3 all had this one. Everyone has had five songs listed now. Also the last song to not get five Top 10 votes.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  25

2019 write-up:

Helter Skelter (White Album, 1968)

@wikkidpissah, do you want to comment on this one, since (1) it's in your top three, and (2) you're a better writer than the rest of us combined?  If not (and probably also if so), I'll come back in and do a write-up later.

Mr. krista:  "Everything about it is great.  Everybody calls it proto-heavy-hetal, but there were heavy bands already playing (Blue Cheer, etc.), but there are whole bands that wouldn’t exist without that.  Hüsker Dü owes a huge debt to how terrifyingly noisy that was.  There are thousands of noisy, heavy bands that can just point their origin story to that song.  I think Paul McCartney tried to out-Who the Who, and it turns out they were better than that.  And they were ####ed up as a band, so it’s a chaotic recording.  It’s just a ####### mint jam from a mint band."

Suggested cover:  This seems like a bad idea.

Wikkid’s 2019 post:  To be honest, this is my favorite Beatle song. For all you headbangers who know how glorious it is when music hits that spot where rage turns into triumph, imagine the first time that spot was ever hit by music and you have Helter Skelter. The fact that every scintilla of noise in this thing is as musical and and tactile and sensible to me as Chopin makes it indeed a triumph. I also actually knew the Helter Skelter "ride" in Blackpool from my Irish summers and the first stanza...

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide

Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride

Till I get to the bottom and I see you again

....of the song actually meant something to me, because i know the buzz of cheap joy, as well as the smells of rancid chip grease and holiday coach buttsweat, that came with a hazy, July day on a Lancashire boardwalk. nufced.

2022 Supplement:  I hesitate to go after wikkid.  It’s like I’m 1963 Helen Shapiro with the Beatles as my opener.  This song continues to be in my top 25, even moving up several notches this year to #20.  Something I learned from doing my solo Beatles thread was to appreciate Paul as one of the greatest rock-and-roll voices in history.  Not “Yesterday” or “Blackbird” Paul with the pure voice and ridiculous range, but shout-y, scream-y, but-still-staying-melodic Paul.  I hope wikkid can come in and give some more thoughts on this aspect of the song.   I’ll hold off on further thoughts on this song until he’s had his chance.

Guido Merkins

In an interview, Pete Townsend talked about making “the loudest, dirtiest rock and roll record ever” (I Can See for Miles.)  Paul heard that and wanted to make one of those, so what he came up with was Helter Skelter on the White Album.

Helter Skelter’s lyrics use the image of a “helter skelter” which is a fairground slide winding around a tower.  Helter skelter can also refer to chaos.  

The main attraction in Helter Skelter is the volume and loudness of the guitars, bass, drums and vocal.  Paul’s vocal is from some other planet.  Take Little Richard and turn it up to 100, and you get Paul screaming his head off from the bowels of hell.  The guitars are fuzzed and overloaded and totally distorted.  Ringo is absolutely destroying his drum kit.  The thing sounds like it’s gonna fall apart at any minute.  Some people have called this proto metal, but it sounds more to me like proto grunge or thrash.  Whatever you call it, the track is just stunning and shocking in it’s intensity.  On the stereo version, it fades out, then fades back in with Ringo exclaiming “I got blisters on my fingers.”  

One of the holy grail moments in the Beatles career is a 27 minute version of Helter Skelter that was totally out of control and chaotic.  George running around the room with a lit ashtray over his head.  George Martin apparently wasn’t in the studio that night so the inmates were running the asylum.

Unfortunately, some people took the chaos a little too seriously as Charles Manson and his followers believed the Beatles were telling us about a race war that was coming, sending them coded messages and justifying all the horrendous things they did.  A truly innovative and and memorable track got saddled with that tragedy and that is sad.
Helter Skelter

64 List Rank: 24

64 List Voters/Points: 18/597

64 List Top 5: 1 @otb_lifer (3)

64 List Top 10: 2 (8)

64 List 1-25 votes: 6 (12, 12, 19, 20)

64 List 26-64 votes: 12

Started off very strong and just kept going.  A '64 fave. I had this at #54.

Hey Bulldog
2022 Ranking: 30
2022 Lists: 20
2022 Points: 238
Ranked Highest by: @Getzlaf15 (1) @Shaft41 (3) @otb_lifer (5) @FairWarning (5) @Guido Merkins (6) @Dr. Octopus (8) @DaVinci (11) @heckmanm (12) @Binky The Doormat (14) @Ted Lange as your Bartender (14)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 38/7/103

Getz: Didn't rank it in 2019. It's been my #1 since the 2019 countdown ended. I love the opening. I love the video. I love all the different sections of it. I love all of it. And I think John's best singing is this song.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  31

2019 write-up: 

Hey Bulldog (Yellow Submarine, 1969)

BASS LINE!  That's what it's all about for me.  Mr. krista (bass player) describes it much better than I could, below.  

I've kept this one within shouting distance of "Taxman" through my many re-orderings of the rankings.  I see them similarly in that they rock your face off and have great bass lines, but some questionable lyric choices.  I detail below some of the lyrics I love, but just the overall "Hey Bulldog" part and the barking at the end turn me off a bit.  Obviously, not much, since this still lands in the upper echelon of my rankings.

Just before the group's trip to India, a film crew came to the studio to record a promotional video during which they were to act as if they were recording "Lady Madonna."  But John asserted that they should film the recording of his new song, "Hey Bullfrog," instead.  That's not a typo - the song was originally titled "Hey Bullfrog" until Paul's barking inspired the title change.  The video was then released with the overlay of "Lady Madonna" on sound while the footage is actually showing the recording of "Hey Bulldog," but the fans didn't seem to notice.  Years later, Neil Aspinall edited the video with "Hey Bulldog" being properly played instead; join the cheesy fun of his finished product. 

Geoff Emerick described the vibe in the studio for the recording of this song to be great, as "all four Beatles were in an exceptionally good mood."  The atmosphere was relaxed and fun-loving, which I think shows in the end result of the song itself, especially all the clowning around in the coda.  It's one of the last times that they all worked together seemingly joyously, and it was the last session at which neither Yoko nor Magic Alex attended, which undoubtedly contributed to the positive spirits.  

In addition to the bass, other highlights of this song for me are the screaming guitar solo and John's vocal, especially the escalating, gritty urgency of the "You can talk to me" repeat.   I also love some of the lyrics, and yes, I'm accusing the lyrics to a song called "Hey Bulldog" of being good.  Specifically, I love these lines in the verses:

(Verse one):  Some kind of happiness is

Measured out in miles

(Verse two):  Some kind of innocence is

Measured out in years

(Verse three):  Some kind of solitude is

Measured out in you

Each of those lines is terrific on its own, but combined with each other in a not-quite-repetitious pattern they're brilliant.

Mostly, I just love this song because it rocks in every way.  Every Beatle was at the top of his game for this one.

Mr. krista:  "####!  Listen to the bass line, though.  Paul McCartney’s a mother####er of a bass player, man.  During the verses, the bass line walks all over the place and sounds super busy, but he’s still right there building a pocket with Ringo.  But then during the chorus he hits that riff right on time with everybody else.  No longer playing that contrapuntal thing but just digs in, just a monster.  What a great rock song."

Suggested cover:  I post this more for the introduction to the playing of the song, rather than the cover itself.  It brought something wet I can't quite recognize to my eyes.  Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne

2022 Supplement:  I get so pumped about Paul’s bassline in this song that I sometimes neglect George’s screaming guitar solo, which is loud and filthy in part due to the use of his new fuzzbox on it.  There’s been some controversy over the years as to whether that could be John or even Paul on the solo instead of George, but it’s generally accepted that it is George, and it’s one of his best.  The song also has the distinction of being one of the only pre-Get Back sessions songs where we can see video of the lads working on the song in the studio, in the link I posted back in 2019.  Hey Bulldog is raucous and aggressive yet fun, and I’m happy it’s been rising higher and higher (Binky:  lower and lower) in the minds of Beatles’ fans over the years.  It barely missed my top 25 again this year.

Guido Merkins

I have been a Beatles fan for 40 years.  The music existed for 15-20 years before I discovered it.  Therefore, the Beatles music has been around for 50-60 years.  You would think with all that time, every single Beatles nugget would have long ago been uncovered, but what is amazing is that there are still songs that are just being kind of discovered by people.  No song has grown more in stature in my lifetime than Hey Bulldog.

Hey Bulldog is one of the Beatles great rockers.  Ringo holding down a serious groove on drums.  Paul with a bass line that will absolutely rip the top of your head off.  George with a guitar solo that absolutely slams.  And John, with a sound that only John Lennon’s voice can make.  The song sounds so immediate, like it was made up on the spot, and that’s almost true.  It was recorded in one session which lasted about 7 hours.  It also has this great thing at the end of the song with John and Paul riffing off of each other, which is funny and sounds totally off the cuff.  In fact, the ONLY time the phrase Hey Bulldog is even mentioned is at the very end of the song.  The lyrics are typical Lennon nonsense, but I’m not sure why the song wasn’t called “You Can Talk to Me.”  Overall, it’s like a really really good novelty track.

So why has it taken so long to discover this gem?  I think it’s mostly because it’s on the Beatles most obscure album Yellow Submarine.  Yellow Submarine only had 4 new Beatles songs upon its release with more than half the album instrumental music by George Martin. 
A couple years back when the Grammys did a salute to the Beatles, Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne did a good version of it as most of the audience had no idea what song they were doing.  Great moment.
Hey Bulldog

64 List Rank: 23

64 List Voters/Points: 17/660  (nice tier jump here from 597)

64 List Top 5: 3 @Getzlaf15 (1) @Shaft41 (3) @otb_lifer (5)

64 List Top 10: 3

64 List 1-25 votes: 8 (11, 14, 18, 21, 25) 26/26

#1 is 2025 Baby!!

Rain
2022 Ranking: 42
2022 Lists: 15
2022 Points: 190
Ranked Highest by: @Oliver Humanzee (1) Worth (4) OTB_Lifer (4) @Pip's Invitation (5) @krista4 (6) @landrys hat (7) @Getzlaf15 (12) @Guido Merkins (13) @Westerberg (15)
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 46/6/83

Getz: 
One of my favorite songs from the 2019 countdown, that I knew very little about at the time. Have it at #12 this year. My 2022 song that fits that mold is next up.
First song with four Top 5 votes and six Top 10 votes. Also first song selected by all in the Fab 3. About half way through getting the votes, Rain did reach as high as #23.

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  9

2019 write-up:

Rain (single, 1966)

While Paul's unbelievable bass work prevents me from declaring this A RINGO SHOWCASE!, it's undoubtedly one of his best performances.  Ringo agrees:  "My favorite piece of me is what I did on 'Rain.'  I think I just played amazing.  I think it was the first time I used this trick of starting a break by hitting the hi-hat first instead of going directly to a drum off the hi-hat.  I think it's the best out of all the records I've ever made.  'Rain' blows me away.  I know me and I know my playing, and then there's 'Rain.' I feel as though that was someone else playing – I was possessed!"  You go, Ringo!

The deep, heavy feel of this song was accomplished via a technical trick that was novel at the time.  The rhythm tracks were played at an extremely fast tempo and then slowed down at playback, giving that "big, ponderous, thunderous backing" that Paul ended up loving.  Considering how amazing both Paul and Ringo sound on the song, imagine how much even more impressive their playing was when heard at the speed they actually played it! 

Much like the accidental brilliance of the backward guitar on "Tomorrow Never Knows," this song has a backward vocal and backward guitar that also came about by chance.  John had left the studio after the original sessions for this song, taking the tapes with him to listen later that night.  When, under the influence of The Evil Weed, he threaded the tape, he accidentally did it backwards and loved the sound.  He brought it back into the studio the next day and asked (well, more like demanded) that the engineers find a way to run his vocals backward for the song's fade-out and George's guitar backward for parts of the song, which they dutifully accomplished, making this the first recording to feature a backward vocal track.  

I don't have a lot of deep analysis of why I love this song; the lyrics, for instance, aren't notable to me, and the vocals are great but y'know, Beatles.  I just love the heavy groove and that it rocks my face off.

Bonus!  Around this time the Beatles started doing promotional videos for their singles; here's the one for "Rain."

Mr. krista:  "It’s called Rain and the whole song sounds like it’s underwater.  Gives this great impression of being sung in a rainstorm or a car wash or something. You can listen to the Velvet Underground and imagine 16-year-old Iggy Pop listening to it.  With this you just know 16-year-old Robyn Hitchcock listened to that song and thought, 'there’s a new direction.'  There are whole genres of music based on that song.  I don’t know why it’s not more popular or lauded.  It sounds perfectly contemporary; there’s nothing dated about it at all."

Suggested cover:  This is so disappointing.  Some musical heavy-hitters apparently love this song, because I listened to all their versions - from Freddie Mercury to Fairport Convention, Gregg Allman to Todd Rundgren, even listened to the Grateful Dead! - and I disliked all of them.  Why oh why can't someone do a great cover of this song?    

2022 Supplement:  Mr. krista didn’t do a list in 2019, though he gave me an off-the-cuff idea of his top 10.  When I forced him, at gunpoint, to put together a top 25 this year, this ended up on the top of his rankings.  While it moved up for me this year from #9 to #6, since this is his #1 Best Beatles song ever, I asked him to do the write-up:

“One of the coolest things about both intensive meditation and hallucinogenic drugs is generating a detachment from one’s thoughts and feelings sufficient to observe the workings of one’s own mind without fully inhabiting it.  One can see that their own mind is just a construction--a janky assemblage of thoughts, feelings, ideas, and urges that appear and disappear, largely beyond one’s control. 

“Rain” is like that, I think. 

While there are whole genres of music dedicated to replicating a psychedelic experience, “Rain” is perhaps the only song I’ve heard that directly addresses the insights one might glean from such an experience, and nearly every element of the song supports it.

Drums:

--The drums and rhythm tracks were played 50% faster, then slowed down for the recording of the guitar and vocals, thus subtly changing their texture to a more thunderous, ominous tone, revealing hidden depths.

--Ringo’s drumming has never been busier, nor his fills more startling and inventive.  He largely eschews the toms, opting instead for unlikely hi-hat/snare combos, creating the perception of a song that is simultaneously too fast and too slow.

Bass:

--Playing way the hell up on the fretboard, nimbly dancing around both Ringo’s fills and the midrange droney vocals, Paul’s bass carries more melody than rhythm, an unlikely place for a bass even as melodic as Paul’s.

Vocals/guitar/tape effects:

The vocals are sung through an oscillating speaker, creating the impression of a voice approaching and retreating simultaneously.  That the coda is played backwards and forwards at various points in the song only slightly adds to the uncanniness.

George and John’s guitars are both minimal and distinct enough to be discerned from one another by an attentive listener, but the overall impression is that of a slightly out of tune drone, the way multiple human voices (overheard in, say, a crowded cafe) might individually be crafting sonorous, compelling narratives, but combine into indistinct chatter. (For an artist’s recreation of this phenomena, please listen to Glenn Gould’s “The Idea of North” or watch Krista’s favorite film Wings of Desire.)

These incongruences are not ad-hoc psych-sounding additives--they are the stuff of the song, the stuff that elucidates the point that “rain or shine it’s all the same”, that nothing is discernable or knowable from without our individual consciousness, that it’s all, as “in yer mind, maaan.”

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.”

Guido Merkins

Revolver was the Beatles taking a quantum leap musically and technologically in the studio.  One such example is Rain, the B side of Paperback Writer.  I first heard Rain when someone gave me the Hey Jude album on vinyl around 1989 for Christmas.  I was immediately struck by the song for several reasons.

First, if anybody ever tells you that Paul and Ringo can’t play, put this track on.  Ringo is absolutely possessed and Paul absolutely drives the song with what can only be described as lead bass.  Around this time, the engineers at EMI finally figured out how to get loud bass on a record and Paperback Writer and Rain were the two that really introduced that to the Beatles sound.  Second, the backwards vocal at the end.  John and George Martin both claimed credit for it, but whomever did it, the sound absolutely draws you in.  Third, the droning nature of the song.  From John’s vocal delivery to Paul’s bass on certain parts, and George’s distorted lead guitar, Indian music was definitely an influence.  Fourth, John and Paul’s vocal delivery in the chorus has a vaguely Middle Eastern vibe.  

Rain is a brilliant track.  It’s amazing how much they have going on with a very simple 3 chord song.  
Rain

64 List Rank: 22

64 List Voters/Points: 15/661

64 List Top 5: 3 @Oliver Humanzee (1) @otb_lifer (4) @Pip's Invitation (5)

64 List Top 10: 6 (6, 7, 7)

64 List 1-25 votes: 9 (14, 16, 22)

64 List 26-64 votes: 6

Huge '64 jump from #42!  This was in Top 10 for a long time counting the votes. I had it at #14.

Rain

64 List Rank: 22

64 List Voters/Points: 15/661

64 List Top 5: 3 @Oliver Humanzee (1) @otb_lifer (4) @Pip's Invitation (5)

64 List Top 10: 6 (6, 7, 7)

64 List 1-25 votes: 9 (14, 16, 22)

Huge '64 jump from #42!  This was in Top 10 for a long time counting the votes. I had it at #14.
Literally just listened to this

Love the vocals + Ringo is fantastic 

Yesterday
2022 Ranking: 10
2022 Lists: 35
2022 Points: 577
Ranked Highest by: OH Dad (1) Son1 (1) @lardonastick (2) @fatguyinalittlecoat (2) Slug (2) @PIK95 (3) @Tom Hagen (3) @MAC_32 (3) @falguy (4) @Yankee23Fan (4) @AAABatteries (4) @Wrighteous Rayhub (4) @ekbeats (4) Daughter (5) @pecorino (5) 
2019 Ranking/Lists/Pts: 15/16/225

Getz: Two #1 and One #24 votes from finishing #4. Twenty more votes and 352 more points than 2019, to gain five slots.
FIFTEEN Top FIVE votes. One three songs had more.
23 Top 10 votes.
Although it came close to finishing #4, it was really never close while counting the votes. It was ranked very well on 8 of the last 11 ballots that came in. 

Krista4
My 2019 ranking:  24

2019 write-up:

Yesterday (Help!, 1965)

I didn't purposefully rank "Helter Skelter" and "Yesterday" next to each other, but I like the way this turned out, showing the incredible diversity of the Beatles and in particular the breadth of Paul's songwriting talent.  As Yankee mentioned above, Paul somehow developed this reputation as the soft, "ballad" guy despite having written songs that in my opinion showed much wider range than the others, so he wanted to write the hardest rock song he could, specifically to out-rock The Who, and I think he accomplished that.

But we're not here to talk about "Helter Skelter"!  We've moved on!  Instead I'll discuss what is merely the most covered and most played song in history.  The song was innovative at the time for using a string quartet, redefining what "pop" or "rock" could be.  It was also the first solo song by a Beatle, since no others joined Paul on the recording.  Unlike when they were going their separate ways on, for instance, the White Album, this wasn't a sign of splintering of the group, but instead was confirmation of its strength and security.  It's not that Paul didn't want to include anyone else, but that when he played the song to the others, they liked it and couldn't come up with any way to improve upon it, suggesting to Paul that he should record it solo.  Paul recorded his vocal and guitar in only a couple of takes, thinking the song was done.  

Naturally, it was George Martin who then suggested adding the string quartet instead of finishing there, which Paul was initially skeptical of, believing that it wouldn't be proper for a rock group.  Martin convinced him to give it a try, assuring Paul they would just drop the string part if it didn't work.  They sat down together the next day at Martin's house to see if they could sketch it out.  Paul described this collaboration:  “We’d sit down and it would be quite straightforward because I’d have a good idea of how I wanted to voice it.  Or George would show me possibilities... There was just one point in it where I said, ‘Could the cello now play a slightly bluesy thing, out of the genre, out of keeping with the rest of the voicing?’  George said, ‘Bach certainly wouldn’t have done that, Paul.’  I said, ‘Great!’  I mean, obviously it was my song, my chords, my everything really, but because the voicing now had become Bach’s, I needed something of mine again to redress the balance.  So I put a 7th in, which was unheard of.  It’s what we used to call a blue note, and that became a little bit well known.  It’s one of the unusual things in that arrangement.”  (You can hear this "blue note" just after "she wouldn't say" in the second bridge.) 

The melody for "Yesterday" first came to Paul in a dream.  When he awoke, it seemed so familiar that Paul was afraid he had inadvertently copied an existing song, so he played it for a few friends who all confirmed they'd never heard it before.  The lyrics didn't come in the dream, though; as a placeholder, he initially sang the opening lines as "scrambled eggs, oh, my baby, how I love your legs."  I still sing the song aloud as "scrambled eggs" to amuse myself juvenilely.  

I love that this song is more subtle than many of the other Paul "love" songs.  I do appreciate how the song establishes itself immediately with the word "yesterday," followed by a 1/2 beat too long pause, to tell us that we're going to spend the rest of our time evoking loss.  We don't really know what happened - the song actually has few differing lyrics - but somehow it still kindles a compelling sense of loss without those descriptors.  The song also doesn't reach a resolution, as John pointed out in an interview as a possible flaw, but that doesn't make it incomplete.  So much of life remains unresolved that I think this sense of its being incomplete is what makes the song so universally understood and appreciated.  Who among us hasn't had a relationship end in an unsettled fashion?  I'd expect we all have experienced that feeling of an incomplete ending, for which we'll not ever get the answers we want.  

In terms of the music itself, of course I love Paul's simple but poignant delivery.  It's amazing that the guy who shredded in "Helter Skelter" can also capture such loneliness in a pure way, without being at all overwrought.  The string arrangement, again a breakthrough at the time, is my favorite of George Martin's arrangements, though some credit goes to Paul for this as well; in agreeing to the strings, he insisted that they remain pure and without any vibrato. The arrangement's perfection is in supplementing the song without intruding on it, always finding ways to bring us back onto the vocal; for instance, listen for how the viola(s) provide a low harmony beginning partway through the third verse.   And the melody...ohhhhh, uncomplicated as it might seem on the surface, there's so much going on, from the hopeful rise of the first line of each verse followed by the melancholic fall of the second...  The way the last line of the verse enhances the longing and despondency by the drop off, "yes-ter-da-a-a-ay"...  The descending bass notes as a counterpoint to Paul's vocal rise on "had to go"...  

This is a song that, now that I've written it out, I wish I had put higher.  Damn it.

Fun fact:  Before recording it himself, Paul offered the song to two singers, Billy J. Kramer and Chris Farlowe, who each rejected it.  Maybe a not-so-fun fact for those two guys.

Fun story:  Paul was especially (understandably) proud of this song, which sometimes drove the other Beatles crazy.  Paul claimed George once said, "Blimey, he's always talking about 'Yesterday'; you'd think he was Beethoven or somebody."  But it was John who was sometimes irritated and sometimes amused by always being congratulated for his work on a song that he had little or nothing to do with:  "I sat in a restaurant in Spain and the violinist insisted on playing 'Yesterday' right in my ear.  Then he asked me to sign the violin.  I didn't know what to say so I said 'OK,' and I signed it, and Yoko signed it.  One day he's going to find out Paul wrote it.  But I guess he couldn't have gone from table to table playing 'I Am The Walrus.'"

Mr. krista:  ""It's anti-nostalgia.  Not every break-up song can evoke regret like this.  It reminds me of my favorite genre of literature, which can be described as 'old man sits in chair and reckons with troubling past and then either dies or doesn't, whichever is most tragic.'  I usually don’t like the strings, but these seem in service of the song. I’d like to hear a naked version. I like hearing super-successful person in despair.  It’s such a special song.  When they’re just like everyone…regretting…"

Suggested cover:  Marvin Gaye

2022 Supplement:  In 2019, I said I wish I had ranked this higher, and indeed in 2022 I have vaulted it all the way…checks notes…one slot above where it was last time.  Baby steps.

Paul has described falling out of bed and finding this song in his consciousness as “like finding a £10 note on the street.”  I’d say it was more like finding a £1,000,000,000 note* on the street given how lucrative the song became, but who am I to quibble.  Paul worked on this so much during the filming of Help!, including composing the middle eight on set, that Richard Lester threatened to take the piano away if he heard the song again.  Paul’s ascribes some of Lester’s annoyance to the fact that it still had the “scrambled eggs” lyrics at the time.  During a break in the filming, Paul and Jane Asher went on holiday in Portugal, and in the back seat of the car during the three or so hours to their villa, Paul worked out the lyrics to the song,** going for something sad because he thought people liked sad songs.  Although for years Paul didn’t think this was about his mother, he now realizes that a lot of the lines might have subconsciously have been about that loss – “Why she had to go I don’t know, she wouldn’t say” or even the line about not being half the man he used to be, since he’d lost his mother half a life ago.  He identified this song that’s become more poignant for him as he’s grown older and has so many more “yesterdays” than he had as a 22-year-old.

Fun fact:  Paul worked with Delia Derbyshire possibly to make this into an electronic avant-garde thingie, but they eventually went back to the original arrangement instead.  Shades of McCartney II to come?

*Fun fact I just learned:  “The Bank of England £100,000,000 note, also referred to as Titan, is a non-circulating Bank of England banknote of the pound sterling used to back the value of Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes. It is the highest denomination of banknote printed by the Bank of England.”

**Writing or reading in any seat in a car, but particularly the back, would be insta-hurl for me.  You feeling me, simey and Pip’s wife?

Guido Merkins

Songwriting can very much be an activity that you sit down and do and sometimes the results can be very good.  Also, what can happen is sometimes a song can come to you without very much effort from the songwriter.

Paul McCartney wakes up one morning with the melody going around his head and he’s not sure what it is.  He goes to the piano and finds the chords and starts making up words “Scrambled eggs, oh baby how I love you legs….”  Paul goes around to the other Beatles and George Martin and everyone he knows and asks if they know this song.  None of them do.  So Paul starts to finish a song that came to him in a dream.  This song would only become the most recorded song in the history of music.  Not bad for a dream.

Yesterday is a song that sounds like it’s always existed.  I can see why Paul thought it might be a standard or something that he heard from his Dad because it sounds a bit like that.  In any event, when it came to the recording, George Martin and the other Beatles agreed that drums didn’t belong on it and none of them really thought they could add anything to Paul’s acoustic guitar, but Martin thought strings might be appropriate.  Paul didn’t want anything too extravagant that might verge on schmaltz, so Martin suggested a string quartet.  Paul thought it was a good idea.  Paul suggested that the last verse the quartet would go to this kind of sad, bluesy thing and Martin thought that sounded corny, but they tried it and it’s the best part of the song, IMO (around 2 minutes in).

Obviously a great song.  So why wasn’t it a single?  Well, Paul explained that they were a rock and roll band and didn’t think it was appropriate to be released as a single.  Also, it was just Paul on the record so Paul didn’t want that either.  So they just stuck it on the B side of the Help album.  Another case where the embarrassment of riches is on full display.
Yesterday

64 List Rank: 21

64 List Voters/Points: 16/662

64 List Top 5: 4 @lardonastick (2) @Tom Hagen (2) @falguy (4) @AAABatteries (4)

64 List Top 10: 6 (6, 10)

64 List 1-25 votes: 10 (15, 19, 23, 23)

Down from #10.

This happened to a few of the classics. Without the pressure to fit it into a prior Top 25, a few of these songs took big hits down to the 40's and 50's, and in some cases, were not even ranked.

I had this at #57.

Users who are viewing this thread