What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (3 Viewers)

Haven't rewatched the game yet, but a couple of things stand out from watching live. They way this line keeps trucking when there are multiple subs (Opeta, Driscoll) is something no other team in the league could do. Driscoll is probably a meh starter, but an amazing 6th OL who can cover 4 positions.

The second thing is that they really have to do something about how they handle the blitz. 2 weeks in a row, against a team that blitzes the passing game turns into this timid, horizontal thing that is both not successful, and does nothing to discourage teams from doubling down on that approach. I hope they take the bye week to do a decent bit of self scouting on that front.

There are two things I think they need to do. Kenny Gainwell is a ****show in pass protection, they can't keep putting him out there thinking this time it will work. They don't trust the other two backs either, how is Trey Sermon in pass pro? If he's no good either, then my left field option is try motioning Dallas Goedert into the backfield. It would be a separate set of rules he'd have to learn, but he is a good blocker if he needs to stay in, he would get good matchups (LB usually) as a target out of the backfield, and would also be a good lead on QB run plays. Aside from that, I'd almost just say screw it, take the RB out altogether and put in a 6th OL, Jordan Mailata tackle eligible baby!

They other is they need to build in some routes with the ability to punish the blitz. Slants, fades, wheels something with the chance for a big play, either in the air or via YAC. The answer can't just be Jalen runs, or called WR screens. Part of this is on coaching, but part is on Hurts too because a lot of blitzers coming seems to make him pull his eyes down and become a pure runner, as opposed to when he scrambles reactively from pressure. He probably doesn't trust the protection vs. 5+ rushers at this point either, which doesn't help.

They have the bye week now, which is good on that front, because they will keep seeing this approach from teams until they prove they have an answer.

Last edited:
Whenever the other teams gets close to the Eagles in the 2nd half, they always have the ability to just run it down their throats. This will be key for them in those December and January games. They are built to win.

It's already been proven can't just win by running in the playoffs. They need to figure out how to put both together. Teams and defenses scheme differently from regular and playoffs. Its why Lamar Jackson sucks come playoff time.

Didn't see Parsons or Diggs show up much. Heard those guys were good.
Have to admit, the game plan on Parsons was phenomenal. They doubled him throughout the game or RPO'd right at him. Fantastic defensive game plan. DAL made some great adjustments in the 2nd half, but our team took a bit to adjust. Need to do that a bit faster.

I thought Parsons was awesome last night. He was all over the place. Without him, the Eagles may have dropped 40 on the Cowboys.

He looked horrible last night he was on skates. Hardly heard his name besides commentary team saying how great the Eagles neutralized him and when he took the stupid taunting penalty that fortunately for him didn't cost his team.

they really have to do something about how they handle the blitz
So true. This ranks right up there with special teams in the (short) list of weaknesses this season.

I think a lot of people get held up in just saying it's play calling. it's multiple aspects. Ranging from play calling, line protections Center and QB reading the defense with the QB changing the play call if needed, the protections, pass pro personal etc etc etc.

i think one of the best podcasts out there these days is the Kelce brothers podcast of New Heights. always has some good nuggets in it, but this one has some funny stuff and Kelce does a nice job explaining what happened with the fumble on the exchange with Jalen:

ETA: also discusses how the fumble was on a play where Hurts was calling a hot route to balance against a blitz. i see some comments above mentioning this, so it looks like it is already being put in place

IN

13-4 (427)
@Detroit W
Minnesota W
@Washington w
Jacksonville W
@Arizona L
Dallas W
Pittsburgh W
@ Houston W
Washington W
@Indianapolis L
Green Bay L
Tennessee W
@New York Giants W
@Chicago W
@ Dallas L
New Orleans W
New York Giants W

14-3 (493)
@Detroit W
Minnesota W
@Washington w
Jacksonville W
@Arizona L
Dallas W
Pittsburgh W
@ Houston W
Washington W
@Indianapolis L
Green Bay W
Tennessee W
@New York Giants W
@Chicago W
@ Dallas W
New Orleans L
New York Giants W

13 - 4 (500)

@Detroit W
Minnesota W
@Washington W
Jacksonville W
@Arizona L
Dallas W
Pittsburgh W
@ Houston W
Washington W
@Indianapolis W
Green Bay L
Tennessee W
@New York Giants W
@Chicago W
@ Dallas L
New Orleans W
New York Giants L (We resting this week!!!)
These guys are all looking much more prescient than the rest of us, so far. Sorry for the wall of txt, but I just wanted to gauge the temperature change from pre-season.

Record: 10-7 (415)

@Detroit L
Minnesota W
@Washington L
Jacksonville W
@Arizona L
Dallas W
Pittsburgh W
@ Houston W
Washington W
@Indianapolis W
Green Bay L
Tennessee L
@New York Giants W
@Chicago W
@ Dallas L
New Orleans L
New York Giants W
Clearly, I am a bad fan with no football accumen. Who didn't see a 6-0 start coming?

Now we get to cheer against the Saints for the season which is nice. They probably won't be, but might be a top 10 pick next year.
They'll be nowhere near that barring some ridiculous injury.

They're considerably better than ATL and CAR and have no problems with TB in the regular season as we've seen the past 2 years. They even beat them with Trevor Siemian. This is still a playoff team with a great deal of talent on the roster.
:bored:

Now we get to cheer against the Saints for the season which is nice. They probably won't be, but might be a top 10 pick next year.
They'll be nowhere near that barring some ridiculous injury.

They're considerably better than ATL and CAR and have no problems with TB in the regular season as we've seen the past 2 years. They even beat them with Trevor Siemian. This is still a playoff team with a great deal of talent on the roster.
:bored:
In fairness they've had quite a few injuries too.

8-9 (421)

@Detroit L
Minnesota L
@Washington W
Jacksonville W
@Arizona L
Dallas L

Glad to see my pessimism was way off lol
Don't jinx it! Still scarred from that '94 Rich Kotite team starting 7-2 and finishing 7-9.
Ugh, don't remind me. If only they fired him after I think it was the Atlanta game. Just remember I decided to stop watching until he was fired. Was hoping they'd give the team to Bud Carson and try and salvage the season. But nope, rode him out for some dumb reason. What an idiot.

8-9 (421)

@Detroit L
Minnesota L
@Washington W
Jacksonville W
@Arizona L
Dallas L

Glad to see my pessimism was way off lol
Don't jinx it! Still scarred from that '94 Rich Kotite team starting 7-2 and finishing 7-9.

Was Kotite fired at the end of that season? I can't remember. If not he should have.
Yes

Yeah I looked it up. Lurie had actually just bought the team. He didn't waste time. He's been a great owner

According to Jeremy Fowler Eagles one of Chiefs and Rams interested in Panthers DE Brian Burns. Carolina already told teams they want to keep a part of their core and one anonymous GM said CAR is asking for 2 1st rounders for the young DE plus he's only around till next year so an extension would need to happen

Don't expect the Eagles to get Burns or your hopes up. Eagles always are interested in players doesn't mean they are taking them. It helps them gage the market better and plan their moves plus the Eagles don't make moves like this till the off season. edge Rushers are needed but the Eagles could use a 3 safety in their dime packages another TE for 12 Personel and a Powerback. Eagles have several contracts up including starting Safety Chauncey Gardner Johnson and LB TJ Edwards, as well as the fact they got more important issues to figure out like addressing Interiour DL outside of Jordan Davis with Hargreaves and Cox end of contract, a QB who could be extended this offseason on the plate.

I agree Burns is a pipe dream- but, man, what a sweet dream that would be. So many UFAs after this year, and Hurts’ new contract, plus 2x 1st rounders? Not gonna happen.

Plus, barring injury, whose snaps is he gonna take? The DLine is already playing pretty well: BG is on a snap count, Reddick is too good to bench, Sweat is playing well.

I agree Burns is a pipe dream- but, man, what a sweet dream that would be. So many UFAs after this year, and Hurts’ new contract, plus 2x 1st rounders? Not gonna happen.

Plus, barring injury, whose snaps is he gonna take? The DLine is already playing pretty well: BG is on a snap count, Reddick is too good to bench, Sweat is playing well.
And they turned down 2 1sts already. Way too expensive.

I hate seasons like this.I don't know if this Eagles team is really good legit wise or just really good because of a very down year from a lot of teams that should be really good. It makes it harder for people to evaluate and this is usually when people end up making very bad decisions that can cost teams for yrs. Hopefully Howie and Company keep their minds focused and don't fall into that category. This is where you find out if your football guys are good evaluators or not this type of year.

Same with NYG thought I don't think they are that great. Still numerious holes and they have a beaten a few teams they should have zero business even beating.

Just a very weird year.

I hate seasons like this.I don't know if this Eagles team is really good legit wise or just really good because of a very down year from a lot of teams that should be really good. It makes it harder for people to evaluate and this is usually when people end up making very bad decisions that can cost teams for yrs. Hopefully Howie and Company keep their minds focused and don't fall into that category. This is where you find out if your football guys are good evaluators or not this type of year.

Same with NYG thought I don't think they are that great. Still numerious holes and they have a beaten a few teams they should have zero business even beating.

Just a very weird year.

You hate seasons where your team has the best record in football after 6 games? Tough crowd.

Amazing that the giants and cowboys keep rolling and even Washington gets a win
Our 2 NYG games in the last few weeks of the season are going to be more significant than anyone thought before the season.
Giants will lose a few before then. Feels like they're barely hanging on every week. Not trying to denigrate them...they're clearly a lot better then anyone expected, but it doesn't feel like there's any upside from where they are now and they've had a lot of bounces going their way.

Right now, the Cowboys seem like the only team to really worry about in the NFC, and we have the H2H win over them already. Can't take the scrappy giants lightly, but really don't expect them to be contending for more then a WC late season

Right now, the Cowboys seem like the only team to really worry about in the NFC, and we have the H2H win over them already. Can't take the scrappy giants lightly, but really don't expect them to be contending for more then a WC late season
3 of the top 4 NFC records are in our division. That's nuts.

Minny I think is really good too though.

Seattle has the 5th best NFC record? Insane.

Eagles are still a class above due to the o-line and better all around weapons. Plus pass rush gets to Dak.

Nfc Super Bowl favorites for sure

Kempski made a good point in a post today about how weak the NFC is this year just looking at the QBs around the conference and asked how many QBs would you take over Hurts right now? Pretty sure the answer is zero, which is crazy. Like I've been saying for a few weeks now, enjoy the ride. Next season everyone could be injured or who knows what and even the perfect QB wouldn't make a difference, so enjoy the now.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/nfc-hierarchy-obituary-week-8-edition-2022/

IDGAF if this is the wrong forum, WE'RE GOING TO THE ****ING WORLD SERIES!!!!!!
Special thanks to the sports gods for scheduling the two World Series off days for the two days the Eagles (and Union) are playing next week:
Friday, Oct. 28: Game 1 @ HOU
Saturday, Oct. 29: Game 2 @ HOU
Sunday, Oct. 30 @ 1:00: Steelers @ Eagles
(Sunday, Oct. 30 @ 8:00: Union ECF vs NYCFC)
Monday, Oct. 31: Game 3 @ PHI
Tuesday, Nov. 1: Game 4 @ PHI
Wednesday, Nov. 2: Game 5 @ PHI (if necessary)
Thursday, Nov. 3: Eagles @ Texans
Friday, Nov. 4: Game 6 @ HOU (if necessary)
Saturday, Nov. 5: Game 7 @ HOU (if necessary)

Trip to Houston for Texans game and then WS game 6 probably a pipe dream but still in the back of my mind.

But why not just enjoy that your team is basically just a shoe in for the super bowl (barring major injuries)? Who
But why not just enjoy that your team is basically just a shoe in for the super bowl (barring major injuries)?
Oh wow
Who are the 3 teams that would be the toughest for Philly?
Niners who got dismantled yesterday?
Heard the Bucs and Tom Brady were good b/c they beat the Cowboys week 1
Packers LOL
Wiped up Vikings and Cowboys ourselves (trust that offense I saw yesterday did not scare anyone)

Not a crazy statement. LOL at "shoe-in" I guess, but 6-0 be 6-0, and when all the "good" teams are showing to not be, this is how we get here.

But why not just enjoy that your team is basically just a shoe in for the super bowl (barring major injuries)? Who
But why not just enjoy that your team is basically just a shoe in for the super bowl (barring major injuries)?
Oh wow
Packers LOL
Wiped up Vikings and Cowboys ourselves (trust that offense I saw yesterday did not scare anyone)

Not a crazy statement. LOL at "shoe-in" I guess, but 6-0 be 6-0, and when all the "good" teams are showing to not be, this is how we get here.
It’s a long season

Oh wow
Packers LOL

It’s a long season
Good point. But it's been a while since I've seen a conference this week. Usually there are a couple dominant teams at the top. Not the case in the NFC this year. But yes injuries and other **** happens.

Oh wow
Packers LOL

It’s a long season
Good point. But it's been a while since I've seen a conference this week. Usually there are a couple dominant teams at the top. Not the case in the NFC this year. But yes injuries and other **** happens.
The Old QB Guard is simply showing its age. Rodgers can't just make anyone good. Tom Brady, lot of things going on in his life. Prob should have stayed retired. Russ gone and suckin. Stafford and the Rams paid and bought their one SB, they don't scare anyone. Sure its a long season, but I mean, does anyone see this Bucs, Packers or Rams team all of a sudden "turning it one?" Each team seems to have some major flaws holding them back right now.

Eagles need to just keep playing at the level they are. Worrying about other teams will lead to playing down to their level. Next 2 teams are feisty opponents we should beat handily but I could see them being close games.

Oh wow
Packers LOL

It’s a long season
The Old QB Guard is simply showing its age. Rodgers can't just make anyone good. Tom Brady, lot of things going on in his life. Prob should have stayed retired. Russ gone and suckin. Stafford and the Rams paid and bought their one SB, they don't scare anyone. Sure its a long season, but I mean, does anyone see this Bucs, Packers or Rams team all of a sudden "turning it one?" Each team seems to have some major flaws holding them back right now.

Last year the Rams were 7-4 through 11 games and the Bengals were 7-6 through 13.

Two years ago the Bucs were 7-5. In ‘19 KC was 6-4

All I’m saying is week 7 is a little early to be crowning asses

Users who are viewing this thread