What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Philadelphia Eagles - Leave Gannon in Arizona and let’s run through the NFC again in 2023. (1 Viewer)

This was similar to the Eagles win over the Pats...Brady played great but like Hurts had a costly fumble but at the end of the day the fact the D got lit up was the main culprit...Philly had a lot of trouble on non-Hurts running plays (17-45-2.65)...will be interesting to see if they pull the trigger on Bijan with the 10th pick...would make that O even more loaded.

Eagles aren't spending a top pick on an RB they know better.

Two tings I hate the most about games like this, watching with or talking to non-fans about it. My mom is staying with us and during the game was a pia, then this morning had a dentist appointment and she made some small talk about it. Would rather she just gave me a root canal instead of bringing it up before a simple cleaning..

My department manager was talking to this one customer who comes in and they always talk sports. Don't get me wrong the dude seems like a nice guy maybe a friend of his from HS but he seems a bit off. Not sure how to describe it. Listening to these two talk is like listening to the talking heads on Philly sports radio with the hot takes. I bite my tongue often not to correct them or even make them look bad. I guess they enjoy themselves today I really didn't want to talk or hear from anyone about the game especially bitching about a blown call because it's not why we lost.

Worry this was their best shot for the next few years
I’m with you here as well. This was arguably the most talented Eagles team ever IMO. The loss stings and now we’re going to lose coach after coach and a lot of players when we give Hurts big money.

This is what worries me the most. Like I said I can say Hurts improved but he needs to show me consistency each and every year as he's always had an issue with consistency of good play. I just think we give him a big contract and he won't live up to it. I think he's improved but I don't think he's ever going to be a guy who makes the guys around him better like a Brady or Manning or Rodgers does. I think the team built around him was great and helped cover his weaknesses which is exactly what should be done for a guy like Hurts.

This was similar to the Eagles win over the Pats...Brady played great but like Hurts had a costly fumble but at the end of the day the fact the D got lit up was the main culprit...Philly had a lot of trouble on non-Hurts running plays (17-45-2.65)...will be interesting to see if they pull the trigger on Bijan with the 10th pick...would make that O even more loaded.

I wouldn't think so either, however I have seen them mocked taking an RB with pick #30. Not sure about that one either. I'd much rather a CB or a defensive end with both first round picks. They're going to need some cheap defensive replacements.

A couple more random thoughts:

I remember a lot of odd decisions by Andy during our run in the 2000's that cost us some opportunities and some games. Play calling, personnel, game management, time management, etc. Talk of usually having the second-best coach in playoff matchups and getting outcoached back then. Getting outcoached by him in the SB just made me think back and wish that he had that presence of mind back in the day, he may even still be here.

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but if someone gave me the choice: you'll be in two Superbowls, you have to pick one to win and one to lose, one is as an underdog against Tom Brady, Belichick and the Patriots and the other is as a favorite against Mahomes, Reid and the Chiefs... I prefer this as the outcome. (As a side note, I'd probably swap 2008 vs Rays and 2009 vs Yanks if I had the same option.)

My girlfriend was pissed off last night. I told her exactly this. If there was a SB I'd rather lose it's to Andy Reid and the Chiefs. If this was against NE and Brady I might have been arrested last night for actions I can't post on here.

JFC, just read that Fangio was around to help the Eagles OFFENSE prepare for the Chiefs defense. What a waste.
This was widely seen as something the Eagles put out there when the Fangio two-week thing was going to be reported. They didn’t want to look like Gannon was being undermined…

Fangio was on a two week contract in case they lost Gannon. He was here as a non pad aid all season and insiders were saying if Gannon left given it's Fangio's scheme he'd replace Gannon. Unfortunately their plan backfired and Vic got a DC job with MIA before we found out Gannon's fate. He probably got some indication despite interviews Gannon would be here next year or I think he'd have stayed.

Almost set the sack record then get zero in the Super Bowl. Get Gannon outta here. This L was 100% on the defense. Angry.
It’s almost like they racked up all of those sacks because they played a weak schedule or something

They’re in a frenzy now. All it took was a super mild joke about their team, no mention of another,) and all of a sudden it’s….

COWBOYS COWBOYS COWBOYS!!!!
Do Eagles fans post a lot in the Cowboys thread? I wouldn't know because I rarely open it. But I see the same two Cowboys fans here everyday, and frequently comment about how obsessed we are with Cowboys.

Ironic.

I got zero issue with Steady he's been coming in here for awhile and even says his thread sucks. I don't mind Cowboysfan at times. I disagree with him a lot. However I do see some of you guys taking things too personally. Its like reading an actual version of Philly sports talk radio and anyone who says anything the host don't like they view them as Public Enemy #1. People in this thread need to stop taking themselves too seriously at times.

Stats are fun. So if I click that link I’ll see two quarterbacks in the same systems, same personal, going up against the same defenses, same scheme, same down and distance, same time of year, same weather, same everything?

Because unless all that’s true it’s doesn’t matter.

But if you wanna play around with the numbers, go ahead and compare this “MVP level” season against Daks rookie year.
They're not my numbers. I asked you by what metric is Dak a better passer? Or are you just going by your biased opinion?

Click the link, or maybe you don't want to. Whatever.
Comedy gold. Dak literally leads the league in INT's, Hurts finishes 2nd in both MVP voting and winning the Super Bowl and

*checks notes*

Cowboys fan comes into Eagles thread "Dak is still a better passer!!!!!"

Right.
Right? Dak missed 5 games and still lead the league in INTs. Hurts has the better rating, the higher yards per completion, the higher completion %, and smokes Dak in nearly every adjusted passing stat.

I can believe Dak's the better QB, just provide the evidence. I need more than a laughing emoji though.
Don't forget. Jalen had a better YPA. During Jalen's 3 year career, his YPA has gone up each year. During that same span, Dak Prescott's has gone down in each year.
Yup. For a "running back playing QB", Jalen sure did put up some pretty nice passing numbers. Add in the rushing numbers and I don't think any Dak/Jalen comparison is close. And Jalen made it past the divisional round of the playoffs in year 2.

Ironically the QB who threw more TDs won the game though.

QB: Need a new backup, right? Prolly gotta pay Hurts too.

I'd keep Minshew because honestly who's even better out there? I really am not a fan of half the possible late rounders outside of Max Duggin
RB: Let Sanders walk, draft a guy and let Gainwell and Scott handle the bulk. Or there are a ton of FAs, grab a cheap one. or both?

Said for awhile let Miles walk. There's a boatload of RBs in this draft they can draft one sign a vet for cheap who's there around July or so or maybe someone gets a post June 1 cut No need to spend big. Kenny G IMHO is good enough

WR: Get a new #3, let Quez do an occasional go route as the #4.
This is why I wanted JuJu this offseason he fits perfectly as a #2/slot guy. There should be a few good ones in the draft. Might overpriced on FA

OL: Hope no one retires!

Could see Kelce coming back
DL: One of the first rounders goes here I'm guessing, plus will need to sign some depth to replace the old temp guys. Is Cox back? BG?

It'd be a shocker if it doesn't happen. BG just bought a house down the street from Kelce in the last year. He either signs a 1 year deal or retires.

LB: Honestly no idea. I'm sure the team hopes Dean can step in.

Plan was for Dean to play more but Edwards and White played better then anyone thought. One of White or Edwards leaves this offseason though and Dean steps in.

CB: Bradberry is gone. Very curious to see what they have in McPherson, but assuming another top pick fills in here.

I'd hope for this but I think they might hope for another season of a team cuts a guy and we pick him up as a 1 year prove it guy.

S: Resign CJGJ. Him, Epps, and Blankenship are a decent 3 man group.

Resigning him is a top priority. I think they could use a 4th guy though

K: Elliott is the man.
P: For the love of god, bring in some competition!

Elliot is good Special teams needs to fixed. Clay punting to Kadarius Toney is a fireable offense.

Ignoring Animotion and Calvin Klein, let's look at the offseason. Top of my head I got:

Coaching: Assuming Steichen is gone, and the QB coach will take his place. Gammon I have no idea. Assuming he's back, unless he gets a head coach gig. Get a new special teams coach, please. I know they improved down the stretch, but that unit was too bad for too long.

QB: Need a new backup, right? Prolly gotta pay Hurts too.
RB: Let Sanders walk, draft a guy and let Gainwell and Scott handle the bulk. Or there are a ton of FAs, grab a cheap one. or both?
WR: Get a new #3, let Quez do an occasional go route as the #4.
OL: Hope no one retires!
DL: One of the first rounders goes here I'm guessing, plus will need to sign some depth to replace the old temp guys. Is Cox back? BG?
LB: Honestly no idea. I'm sure the team hopes Dean can step in.
CB: Bradberry is gone. Very curious to see what they have in McPherson, but assuming another top pick fills in here.
S: Resign CJGJ. Him, Epps, and Blankenship are a decent 3 man group.
K: Elliott is the man.
P: For the love of god, bring in some competition!
For the RBs, what's the deal with Surmon? Is he just a guy or can he earn some playing time? I was surprised he saw no action with the Eagles during the season. He's under contract for next year.

He's a JAG he gets injured a lot. He played last year for SF when they had injuries failed to impress and even got hurt. With the lack of depth SF had earlier this year and Mitchell injury history the fact he was cut didn't bode well for him.

Moving on, how do we go about replacing Miles Sanders? Gotta be a draft selection, right? And if its not Bijan or Gibbs, I feel it'll be a Gainwell + New draftee 1-2 punch of sorts.
I’m not so sure we won’t get a good RB in FA. There’s a TON set to hit the market and I can’t see them all getting big money. If we play our cards right we can get someone good/great at a very low cost.

Don't pay for RBs when this draft is loaded. RBs have a short shelf life in the NFL.

Moving on, how do we go about replacing Miles Sanders? Gotta be a draft selection, right? And if its not Bijan or Gibbs, I feel it'll be a Gainwell + New draftee 1-2 punch of sorts.
I’m not so sure we won’t get a good RB in FA. There’s a TON set to hit the market and I can’t see them all getting big money. If we play our cards right we can get someone good/great at a very low cost.
I mean, its either sign the guy you got already that is familiar with the system or....pay more for the better guy, like Saquon? Personally don't see it happening. We got too much cash to spend on key positions to *not* draft a RB and lock him up on a rookie deal the next 4 years. Seems like an organizational decision to *not* draft a RB in the 1st round though, probably due to costs.

We would certainly "lose" another player if we are to spend money on Miles or a FA RB. I'd rather use that to make sure *for sure* we get CJ Gardner Johnson locked up.
I don't want Miles back. Inconsistent and put the ball on the turf twice in the SB. Paying RBs does not seem to be a viable strategy in the NFL and there will be solid ones available in the 3rd/4th or left looking for a team after the FA carousel stops spinning. No need to devote much of the cap to that spot. Focus on maintaining the lines and fixing the D.

Always hurt. Availability is a key. Has some talent but so long.

I wouldn't think so either, however I have seen them mocked taking an RB with pick #30. Not sure about that one either. I'd much rather a CB or a defensive end with both first round picks. They're going to need some cheap defensive replacements.

Here's a good word of advice. Don't listen to what these talking heads mock for us. By now they should know how the Eagles operate and they just aren't spending there. It's being mocked because of Sanders and gives a talking point. Simiar to how "The Eagles are in for Watson and Wilson." because it was a questionable position and we had the assets at the time.

Almost set the sack record then get zero in the Super Bowl. Get Gannon outta here. This L was 100% on the defense. Angry.
It’s almost like they racked up all of those sacks because they played a weak schedule or something
I'll take weak schedule over a weak Head Coach all day. And your guy is suuuuper soft.
I'll take a weak schedule and go toe-to-toe with Mahomes & KC every year. Very closely contested and the Eagles were in it till the end. Great season!
Hey but Dak got to be at the Super Bowl for the man of the year award, that counts for the Cowboys right?

I believe he won. How’d you guys make out?
Found our franchise QB who went toe to toe with the best in the game. I’d say that’s pretty impressive for a 24 year old QB, how long have you all been making excuses for wounded Duk at this point?

You lost the superbowl was the answer.

You’re still talking about the Cowboys.

ONLY Because you asked- Dak outplayed Rodgers in his first game.

Remember when you guys joked about the Cowboys paying Dak? Now it’s your turn.

Dak is a better passer than Hurts.
Hurts is a better runner than Dak.

Both need help to win.
Lol no.
I wouldn’t trade Hurts for three Daks

Last edited:
I'll take weak schedule over a weak Head Coach all day. And your guy is suuuuper soft.
I'll take a weak schedule and go toe-to-toe with Mahomes & KC every year. Very closely contested and the Eagles were in it till the end. Great season!
Hey but Dak got to be at the Super Bowl for the man of the year award, that counts for the Cowboys right?

Found our franchise QB who went toe to toe with the best in the game. I’d say that’s pretty impressive for a 24 year old QB, how long have you all been making excuses for wounded Duk at this point?

Both need help to win.

You know I love you man, but Dak just isn't what you think he is. Dak was an INT machine this past season and Hurts made laser beam after laser beam throw in the SB - plays that I do not believe Dak could consistently make. Dak and the Cowboys are not going be able to compete with the elite teams unless he improves his accuracy and the Cowboys improve their receiving corps.

Eagles reportedly are "really asking" Gannon to stay as DC. Great.
They should. Defense improved a TON from year 1 to year 2 under him. If he keeps moving forward and gets more creative/aggressive we can still be a top defense.
I *AM* confident he can learn and grow. But man, the Super Bowl was a culmination of all of our collective worries about his game planning/defensive scheme/situational aggressiveness. Hoping for the best of course

They should. Defense improved a TON from year 1 to year 2 under him. If he keeps moving forward and gets more creative/aggressive we can still be a top defense.
I *AM* confident he can learn and grow. But man, the Super Bowl was a culmination of all of our collective worries about his game planning/defensive scheme/situational aggressiveness. Hoping for the best of course

I’m just looking at overall body of work. I can’t recall a defense taking the strides it did from one year to the next. This was one of the best defenses in the teams history. Maybe it’s his peak or maybe there’s more room for growth. I just don’t want both coordinators gone and tons of other coaches. I’ll lean toward stability there.

Both need help to win.

You know I love you man, but Dak just isn't what you think he is. Dak was an INT machine this past season and Hurts made laser beam after laser beam throw in the SB - plays that I do not believe Dak could consistently make. Dak and the Cowboys are not going be able to compete with the elite teams unless he improves his accuracy and the Cowboys improve their receiving corps.
Ya know, all I heard going into this season, regarding our QB Hurts was "Guys don't learn how to be more accurate this late in their development" and he definitely proved people wrong, Maybe Dak can do the same at age 30 with Mike McCarthy developing him now. He did a good job with Aaron Rodgers.

Ya know, all I heard going into this season, regarding our QB Hurts was "Guys don't learn how to be more accurate this late in their development" and he definitely proved people wrong, Maybe Dak can do the same at age 30 with Mike McCarthy developing him now. He did a good job with Aaron Rodgers.
And even throughout the season people continued to refer to him as a "running back playing QB". Just look at some of the quotes that came out right before the SB.

Still getting over this Super Bowl. i do like these guys from the Packers (Ahman Greene and Mike Wahl), good analysis and objective when it has to do with things outside of the Packers (though they are real good with them too, haven't watched a ton outside of Eagles related).

anyway, this field was just ridiculous:

Ugh. Just our luck. Gannon stays and has less talent this year, Steichen leaves.

I am doing another 180 on Gannon. I hated his scheme thru most of the year, then thought you can;t argue with the stats and results. Now, after the Superb Owl, I hate his scheme again and want him gone. I'm getting vertigo from this guy.

It will be interesting to watch. We will likely lose Fletch and Hargreaves, Bradberry, Epps, Kyzir White. Maybe lose BG, TJ Edwards, CJGJ. A big drop in talent level, unless Howie pulls some cap magic and gets us more reasonable FAs this iff season.

It will be interesting to watch. We will likely lose Fletch and Hargreaves, Bradberry, Epps, Kyzir White. Maybe lose BG, TJ Edwards, CJGJ. A big drop in talent level, unless Howie pulls some cap magic and gets us more reasonable FAs this iff season.
The bolded players, IMO will be re-signed. Fletch is definitely gone, Hargraves we won't afford and he offers zilch in run defense. He will be replaced in the draft and Bradberry will be looking to get that last big payday. TJ Edwards, his initial status as a UDFA will help us get him at a reasonable price. CJGJ is the guy that will have to be paid and he will also be a top 5 paid player at his position.

Miles Sanders will also be gone. And he will also be replaced in the draft.

Last edited:
The bolded players, IMO will be gone. Fletch is definitely gone, Hargraves we won't afford and he offers zilch in run defense. He will be replaced in the draft and Bradberry will be looking to get that last big payday. TJ Edwards, his initial status as a UDFA will help us get him at a reasonable price. CJGJ is the guy that will have to be paid and he will also be a top 5 paid player at his position.

I'd rather them try and keep TJ than White. They have to keep somebody at LB.

The bolded players, IMO will be gone. Fletch is definitely gone, Hargraves we won't afford and he offers zilch in run defense. He will be replaced in the draft and Bradberry will be looking to get that last big payday. TJ Edwards, his initial status as a UDFA will help us get him at a reasonable price. CJGJ is the guy that will have to be paid and he will also be a top 5 paid player at his position.

I'd rather them try and keep TJ than White. They have to keep somebody at LB.
Yeah edited that. Me too. They re-sign TJ and Dean steps into the White role. White was a bit up and down this year.

I was so hungover yesterday I could barely move and didn't even try to get on FBG....which is usually a daily thing for me...can't remember the last time I didn't check in...

some quick hits from the dark side...in your thread cause there are only like three KC fans on FBG....

Hurts played really well....I'd like to see him back this season up with another one....but the future looks promising...although there is still something I just can't put my finger on that gives me a slight bit of pause....not sure what it is but something...

the field was ridiculous...that is unacceptable for a SB...

the call....when the guy that did it, admits that he did it and was hoping they would "let it ride".....that's about all there is....all the talk of the ref shouldn't through it "at that time of the game" or whatever is wasted noise really....Mahomes saw it and made the throw....if not be held/tugged, who knows if that's TD or not....it was overthown because the WR was being held back...

people feel like they got "robbed" from not seeing an ending where Hurt gets the ball back with a minute and a half left....and even if they don't score or whatever at least they wanted to "see it"....like you wanted to have your perfect ending as we didn't get to see it.....well if you look at it from the other side...if the call isn't made, that would be "robbing" KC from there perfect ending....which was played out to perfection from their side of things.......can't have it both ways I guess....

Andy and crew called a great game....

KC got stops when needed....PHI didn't

lastly.....feels like PHI read their own press clippings a little too much.....most every "expert" had them winning and many winning easily....and much of that was because of their offensive and defensive lines that we heard about at nauseum before the game and they were going to dominate KC in the trenches.....the opposite really played out I feel that is where the game was won/lost....KC oline played really well, almost with a chip on their shoulder and opened up holes for an underrated running game....and KC d line really kept PHI running game outside of Hurts in check....

possibly one of the greatest SB ever played and it was nice having the two best teams in the game.....instant classic....PHI went down fighting but I think KC having been through some tough battles over the years and having "been there done that" showed a little as they played a pretty flawless game and that is what it was going to take against PHI who was solid in every unit and had very few weaknesses....

i can't "like" this post enough. i get that there was improvements, but my gawd that scheme in the superbowl was ____________________ !@$#@

Bradberry when asked what will help make a decision in FA "Roster and Money"

Peace
I don't think there was any misunderstanding from the start between the team and Bradberry. This was a 1-year "prove it" deal that was mutually beneficial. He gets a chance to show his value and maximize his next contract, we get (at least) a year of a solid CB (who gave us the bonus of playing at an All-Pro level.)

If he can cash in after giving us the season he did, and we can't afford him, no hard feelings. :shrug:

Bradberry when asked what will help make a decision in FA "Roster and Money"

Peace
I don't think there was any misunderstanding from the start between the team and Bradberry. This was a 1-year "prove it" deal that was mutually beneficial. He gets a chance to show his value and maximize his next contract, we get (at least) a year of a solid CB (who gave us the bonus of playing at an All-Pro level.)

If he can cash in after giving us the season he did, and we can't afford him, no hard feelings. :shrug:
looking forward to the 2023 thread for all this talk. i have to think the Eagles will get some high compensatory draft picks for the guys they will be losing

This one stings more than almost any Eagles loss I've felt before. The call, the field, the fact that if our defense made 1 more play or made even the slightest adjustment. This one hurts bad, felt like we earned it.

But congrats Djax and KC fans on the win. Chiefs simply outcoached/outplayed us by a huge margin in the 2nd half.

I can agree the guy improved this year but thats as far I'm willing to go with the guy. I'm not crowing him a top ten QB just yet. Hurts issue through his football career has been consistency each season.

Give me another season from this year and I might be on board but I also think a ton of Eagles fans are overrating Hurts big time. I think he improved but one of the reasons was they put guys around him and made him better and hid weaknesses. I don't think Hurts could be a guy to carry a team if God forbid we had an injury riddled season like '19 and have Goaedert, Smith, Brown etc all go down and whoever the starting RB ends up being. I just don't see that part in Hurts game. 1 year in his 3 year career of great play for me doesn't make a guy legit either.
:lmao:

You can't make this stuff up.

I think the biggest thing being overlooked in how bad we got schooled in the second half is the amount of pre-snap motion KC switched to, or more specially WHY they did it. Their coaching staff (correctly) identified the field conditions and deliberately went with plays that would put the defense at a disadvantage by treating it like a snow game. In snowy conditions, the person that knows where they are going has the clear advantage over the person that doesn't. Going in motion and doubling back at the last second gives the route runner an extra second or two as the defender has to adjust mid-movement and footing comes into play. The player on offense knows they will be cutting or turning and can be in more control. Some quotes from players on playing in the snow, from this article:

"The snow does favor the offense because we're the ones who know where we're going and the defense is very reactionary. And when their footing is bad, they don't move as fast we do," Schwartz said.

"I think it's typically to the offensive advantage if you know where you're going when the field is a little bit slippery, whether it's rainy or cold, or frozen even," Daniels said. "It's less of a reactionary movement, where I think there's more slipping when you're just kind of reacting to someone else moving or cutting somewhere."

KC already does a lot of motion, with 65% of snaps on average going into the game. But in SB57 they did it 78% of the time, and were above 80% in the 2nd half. Not sure what the defensive counter to that is (e.g. how should a defense play when the field is snowy/slippery), but beyond a few guys changing their cleats, I don't think we tried to make any adjustments and depended on the scheme and plan we went into the game with and hoped the players could power through the conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread