What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: “this team is really good” a terrified Minnesota fan mumbles to himself (21 Viewers)

and man, can the nyk get a 2018 draft redo? they took a complete stiff of kevin knox and the next 3 picks were the bridges brothers and SGA. jeesh

MPJ is the Tatum of the West. Those dudes can shoot, but like the Tin Woodman, neither has a heart. Oof.
Lol.

One guy is about to earn his 3rd straight All-NBA 1st team and is his team's best player. The other guy has never even made an All-Star game and is his team's 3rd option.

Who was that other clown who said Tatum and Kelly Oubre were comparable players? This is pretty much on par with that.
He still has no heart. And they won't win again because of him this year.
Sizzling hot take. There are like a half dozen players that rival execs wouldn’t trade straight up for him. Everyone else would trade any single player plus multiple picks for this no hearted shmuck

MPJ is the Tatum of the West. Those dudes can shoot, but like the Tin Woodman, neither has a heart. Oof.
Lol.

One guy is about to earn his 3rd straight All-NBA 1st team and is his team's best player. The other guy has never even made an All-Star game and is his team's 3rd option.

Who was that other clown who said Tatum and Kelly Oubre were comparable players? This is pretty much on par with that.
Sizzling hot take. There are like a half dozen players that rival execs wouldn’t trade straight up for him. Everyone else would trade any single player plus multiple picks for this no hearted shmuck

I would literally trade the entire Pistons roster and all my their picks this year for Tatum. Then watch him and 14 undrafted guys and free agents win double the games the Pistons won this year.

Sixers currently find themselves in the 6 seed. Interesting final weekend.
We are still the 7 seed.

Reading all the scenarios, it's an absolute MESS. Philly could be playing the Bucks, Knicks, or Cavs round 1. Personally I'd rather play the Bucks which seems weird to say. There's so many ways all these teams can shift, it's gonna be messy.
I would be fine with any of those 3. I think the worst thing would actually be getting the 5 and having to face the Celtics in the 2nd round AGAIN. ideal scenario is getting the 6 and playing the Knicks. If Orlando wins and Indy wins, the Sixers get 7 and Knicks most likely get 2. I would almost prefer that even though it meant being in the play-in.

We are still the 7 seed.

Reading all the scenarios, it's an absolute MESS. Philly could be playing the Bucks, Knicks, or Cavs round 1. Personally I'd rather play the Bucks which seems weird to say. There's so many ways all these teams can shift, it's gonna be messy.
I would be fine with any of those 3. I think the worst thing would actually be getting the 5 and having to face the Celtics in the 2nd round AGAIN. ideal scenario is getting the 6 and playing the Knicks. If Orlando wins and Indy wins, the Sixers get 7 and Knicks most likely get 2. I would almost prefer that even though it meant being in the play-in.
How come you would rather play the Knicks than the Bucks?

We are still the 7 seed.

It’s not about that, it’s about avoiding the 5. There’s no scenario where the Sixers win and get the 6 and Milwaukee is the 3.

There are scenarios where the Sixers lose and end up at 7 and the bucks are the 2, but that would take some other things happening and I don’t know that it would be worth going into the play-in and really it would not be good to risk being the 8 seed.

We are still the 7 seed.

It’s not about that, it’s about avoiding the 5. There’s no scenario where the Sixers win and get the 6 and Milwaukee is the 3.
Ah ok, I read that Milwaukee could drop to the 3 thought.

What about us getting the 7 and playing Milwaukee the 2?

We are still the 7 seed.

Milwaukee can drop to the 3, but only if they lose to Orlando (and a few other things happen, including either Charlotte or Chicago winning, either of which seems virtually impossible). In all scenarios where Orlando wins, the Sixers are either 5 or 7.

Milwaukee in the 2-7 would not really scare me, especially with their health issues, but again, the only way to do that is to risk ending up as the 8 seed after the play-in.

We are still the 7 seed.

Milwaukee can drop to the 3, but only if they lose to Orlando (and a few other things happen, including either Charlotte or Chicago winning, either of which seems virtually impossible). In all scenarios where Orlando wins, the Sixers are either 5 or 7.

Milwaukee in the 2-7 would not really scare me, especially with their health issues, but again, the only way to do that is to risk ending up as the 8 seed after the play-in.
Thanks, didn't know all that. So many scenarios!

Lol.

Just because I was curious as to how true this was...

100% would not make the trade for Tatum:
  1. Jokic
  2. Wemby
  3. SGA
  4. Doncic
  5. Giannis
  6. Curry (not for talent, Tatum is probably the better player today but 100% has more actual value going forward)
  7. Edwards
50/50 would not make the trade:
  1. Haliburton
  2. Booker
  3. Embiid
  4. Brunson
Would do it after a long discussion:
  1. Leonard
  2. Jamal Murray (Tatum is far better but #NuggetsCulture)
  3. Barnes
  4. Banchero
A few other guys after a shorter discussion - Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Zion, Chet,/Jalen Williams, Morant, Sengun, Adebayo, Mitchell (probably more like 50/50 if Mitchell would promise to resign), Butler

We are still the 7 seed.

Thanks, didn't know all that. So many scenarios!
I’ve looked at the chart in this tweet about 38 times and would still have to look at it if anyone asked me a question: https://x.com/m_schettig/status/1779028414088769695?s=46&t=GyZ_5RtGJgIaHCHb5LsW_Q

Lol.

1. Jokic
  2. Wemby
  3. SGA
  4. Doncic
  5. Giannis
  6. Curry (not for talent, Tatum is probably the better player today but 100% has more actual value going forward)
  7. Edwards
  1. Haliburton
  2. Booker
  3. Embiid
  4. Brunson
  1. Leonard
  3. Barnes
  4. Banchero
A few other guys after a shorter discussion - Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Zion, Chet,/Jalen Williams, Morant, Sengun, Adebayo, Mitchell (probably more like 50/50 if Mitchell would promise to resign), Butler
I think the list is top 5 you have and that’s it. You are nuts if you have Kawhi or Barnes or Halliburton or Brunson or a few other guys

Lol.

1. Jokic
  2. Wemby
  3. SGA
  4. Doncic
  5. Giannis
  7. Edwards
  1. Haliburton
  2. Booker
  3. Embiid
  4. Brunson
  1. Leonard
  3. Barnes
  4. Banchero
I think the list is top 5 you have and that’s it. You are nuts if you have Kawhi or Barnes or Halliburton or Brunson or a few other guys

For fun, Bill Simmon's trade value rankings has 1. Jokic 2. Giannis 3. Doncic 4. Wemby 5. SGA 6. Tatum 7. Edwards 8. Banchero (Tier break between 8/9) 9. Haliburton 10. Booker 11. Curry 12. Embiid 13. Brunson 14. Mitchell 15. Murray (Tier break)

If I was doing the same exact task, I would have a Tier 1 of Jokic/Wemby/Doncic, Tier 2 of SGA/Edwards/Giannis/Tatum - probably in that order. Having Banchero #9 is silly, especially in the same tier as the first 7 - I wouldn't have him in the top 15 but I know the Magic would. Doncic would be #2, but I'm not sure he's happy in Dallas. I also think there is a baby tier separation between Edwards and Giannis.

I love Doncic but until he decides to play some defense I am skeptical that he can be the best player on a championship team. He has the strength and size and smarts to be an average defender at worst yet he never even hints at giving a **** on that side of the ball.

FYI my trade list would be something like

Tier 1 - Jokic, Wemby
Tier 2 - Giannis, SGA
Tier 3 - Doncic, Tatum, Ant
Tier 4 - Embiid, Booker, AD
Tier 5 - whole bunch of guys depending on team building

I love Doncic but until he decides to play some defense I am skeptical that he can be the best player on a championship team. He has the strength and size and smarts to be an average defender at worst yet he never even hints at giving a **** on that side of the ball.

Tier 1 - Jokic, Wemby
Tier 2 - Giannis, SGA

If the season was starting today (assuming all contracts reset to be identical to the start of this season) and these offers were on the table, who says no?
  • AD for Kawhi
  • AD for Durant
  • Booker for Haliburton
  • Booker for Embiid
  • Ant for Giannis
  • SGA for Giannis
  • Doncic for Ant
  • Doncic for Tatum

Tier 1 - Jokic, Wemby
Tier 2 - Giannis, SGA

If the season was starting today (assuming all contracts reset to be identical to the start of this season) and these offers were on the table, who says no?
  • AD for Kawhi
  • AD for Durant
  • Booker for Haliburton
  • Booker for Embiid
  • Ant for Giannis
  • SGA for Giannis
  • Doncic for Ant
  • Doncic for Tatum
My guess on who would say no - LAC, maybe neither but slight lean to LA, Indy, Philly, probably both but slight lean to Minn, OKC, Dallas, Dallas.

Tier 1 - Jokic, Wemby
Tier 2 - Giannis, SGA

• AD for Kawhi
  • AD for Durant
  • Booker for Haliburton
  • Booker for Embiid
  • Ant for Giannis
  • SGA for Giannis
  • Doncic for Ant
  • Doncic for Tatum

I will play.

Even
Durant
Haliburton
Booker
Ant
SGA
Doncic
Doncic

Players I definitely would not trade for Tatum in any circumstance: Jokic, Wemby, Giannis, Doncic

Players I maybe would trade for Tatum depending on roster construction: Embiid, SGA, Edwards

Players I probably would trade for Tatum depending on roster construction: Haliburton, Brunson, AD

Anyone not on these lists I would trade for Tatum in any circumstance.

Tier 1 - Jokic, Wemby
Tier 2 - Giannis, SGA

• AD for Kawhi
  • AD for Durant
  • Booker for Haliburton
  • Booker for Embiid
  • Ant for Giannis
  • SGA for Giannis
  • Doncic for Ant
  • Doncic for Tatum
Identical at what length? It would make a big difference I think.

Tier 1 - Jokic, Wemby
Tier 2 - Giannis, SGA
I've said it before in the thread but this is a bad take. He's at least an average defender this year. Having him a full tier below Giannis and SGA is laughable.

Tier 1 - Jokic, Wemby
Tier 2 - Giannis, SGA

• AD for Kawhi
  • AD for Durant
  • Booker for Haliburton
  • Booker for Embiid
  • Ant for Giannis
  • SGA for Giannis
  • Doncic for Ant
  • Doncic for Tatum
Kawhi - I had to think on this one
AD - I had to think on this one
Haliburton
Embiid
Giannis - U had to think on this one
Giannis
Doncic
Doncic

Tier 1 - Jokic, Wemby
Tier 2 - Giannis, SGA
I've said it before in the thread but this is a bad take. He's at least an average defender this year. Having him a full tier below Giannis and SGA is laughable.

He's Tier 1 imo

Embiid sitting for Sixers. Seems like they agree with me that getting the 5 is the worst outcome, or at least is worth not worrying about, since if they lose, there is no way they can get above 6.

Of course they still very well may win, since the nets have been terrible, though the nets don’t really have any incentive to lose either.

Edit: the nets have actually not been totally terrible this month

Embiid sitting for Sixers. Seems like they agree with me that getting the 5 is the worst outcome, or at least is worth not worrying about, since if they lose, there is no way they can get above 6.

Of course they still very well may win, since the nets have been terrible, though the nets don’t really have any incentive to lose either.

Edit: the nets have actually not been totally terrible this month

I don't know missing the playoffs might be worse. Miami won't be a pushover and the Hawks and Bulls can give any team trouble in a game series.

Dallas looks like it will accomplish the goal of avoiding a round 2 Denver matchup. Having not watched the Pistons game, I was somewhat surprised that they actually managed to find a new player I hadn't heard of - Alex Fudge. What a name. Apparently he signed a 2-way deal in early March and debuted against Detroit.

OMax looks pretty good. Josh Green trying to get back up to speed. Poor Tim Hardaway has to play today lol. Really hoping Prosper will be good for 10+ minutes and develop further next year.

Dallas looks like it will accomplish the goal of avoiding a round 2 Denver matchup. Having not watched the Pistons game, I was somewhat surprised that they actually managed to find a new player I hadn't heard of - Alex Fudge. What a name. Apparently he signed a 2-way deal in early March and debuted against Detroit.

OMax looks pretty good. Josh Green trying to get back up to speed. Poor Tim Hardaway has to play today lol. Really hoping Prosper will be good for 10+ minutes and develop further next year.
Fudge was with the Lakers summer league / G league team for a while. I liked him as a prospect.

Jeez after that whole big Sixers push to not get the play in, here we are. Really wanted the bucks r1
Could have won one more game anywhere by the backups. Couldn't get it done. 2 losses to the Nets and 2 to the Hawks come to mind.

Jeez after that whole big Sixers push to not get the play in, here we are. Really wanted the bucks r1
Well you will get that if they can win the play-in
aren't the knicks the 2 seed?
Sorry you’re right. I already forgot that they ended up winning that game…
But I guess the 7 is still better than the 4, 5, or 8.

Miami won't be easy and we obviously need to win that game. And then if we got past the Knicks (who will be extremely tough), then we'd still get the winner of Milwaukee/Indiana.

Well you will get that if they can win the play-in
aren't the knicks the 2 seed?
Sorry you’re right. I already forgot that they ended up winning that game…
But I guess the 7 is still better than the 4, 5, or 8.

Miami won't be easy and we obviously need to win that game. And then if we got past the Knicks (who will be extremely tough), then we'd still get the winner of Milwaukee/Indiana.

If you can't beat the Knicks without Randall you don't deserve to be there. That's a gift.

Users who are viewing this thread