What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: “this team is really good” a terrified Minnesota fan mumbles to himself (39 Viewers)

I cringed a little when I heard this interview today:

“I feel like when my time’s up, and I retire and I put the shoes up . . . I feel like there’s people that’s gonna say that I changed the game" ~ Karl Anthony Towns

:lmao:
I'm sure one guy on Twitter will say it.

is ralph sampson a wembledonyaya comp? same size and body type, sampson had a good handle. at that size, he broke down. the giant white guy also is broken. porzingis broke too.
Chet Holmgren's career is off to a roaring start as well.
Didn't he hurt his foot?

Yeah. It was crazy how many posters and media types said his weight and light frame was the problem and then he hurt his foot in a very unlucky way and completely unrelated to his size at all. It was as if they were rehearsing it daily. They all yelled "I told you so" at the top of their lungs all at the same time.
If you want to be unconcerned about a lisfranc injury to someone who is 7-1, 195 lbs, more power to you. I hope he has a long and awesome career.

I didn't say that. His size had nothing to do with his injury. It was a freak injury and Lis Franc can happen to anyone.

In the last 20 years who has actually changed the game? Not just an all time great. Just LeBron and Steph?
Jokic is doing things we don’t see centers do but not sure he’s actually changing the game.

I saw an interview with KAT the other day with Beverly where they compared their play-in win to what the Nuggets just did. I’m not even being sarcastic he said something like “what we went through is more impressive because we came together as a team just a month earlier.” I’m not sure dude is ok.

In the last 20 years who has actually changed the game? Not just an all time great. Just LeBron and Steph?
Jokic is doing things we don’t see centers do but not sure he’s actually changing the game.

I saw an interview with KAT the other day with Beverly where they compared their play-in win to what the Nuggets just did. I’m not even being sarcastic he said something like “what we went through is more impressive because we came together as a team just a month earlier.” I’m not sure dude is ok.

This is where I am at Jokic, Giannis, Dirk are all time great, but changing the game is difficult. I might be missing someone, but in my opinion only Magic, Jordan, LeBron and Steph have actually changed the game in the last 40 years.

Same podcast. I may have to listen to the whole thing. Sounds like comedy gold.

So where does what the Atlanta Hawks did this season rank all-time? Top 5? The came together and we're the only team in the East and only one of two teams that beat the Heat in a series in the playoffs. Clearly the Nuggets have to beat the Hawks for this title to be legit.

Harden caused a rule change because he was such an innovator in the foul-grifting space. He also helped kill the popularity of midrange jumpers, although D'Antoni probably deserves more credit for that aggressive EV-maximizing style. Harden was just one of the most famous executors of it.

I don't know that Lebron changed the game, unless you are talking about super teams. He is a top 1-3/5 player of all-time, but his vision and size and skill is unique. Not really "game changing" where it impacts rules and style of play etc.

I would say Dirk was a game changer though, where PFs are now expected to be shooters and not bang on the inside anymore.

Zion and GM David Griffin meeting at team facility today :popcorn:
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Sources: Pelicans are parting ways with assistant coach, Basketball Hall of Famer Teresa Weatherspoon. Weatherspoon has been on staff since 2020, developing a strong rapport with players like Zion Williamson, and turned down other opportunities in hopes of rising in New Orleans.

3:34 PM · Jun 15, 2023

:tinfoilhat:

I had to listen to it a few times to make sure he wasn’t being sarcastic? I couldn’t believe it.

Zion and GM David Griffin meeting at team facility today :popcorn:
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Sources: Pelicans are parting ways with assistant coach, Basketball Hall of Famer Teresa Weatherspoon. Weatherspoon has been on staff since 2020, developing a strong rapport with players like Zion Williamson, and turned down other opportunities in hopes of rising in New Orleans.

3:34 PM · Jun 15, 2023

:tinfoilhat:
I'm surprised at this. Many of the players LOVED TSpoon! :sadbanana:

Players who actually changed the game:

Mikan - lane widened
Wilt - FT/inbounding rules, goaltending rules
Dr J - attacking the rim/dunking
Magic - PGs can be big
MJ - hero-iso ball/player centric marketing
Dirk - Big guys can shoot outside/Euros can play too
Curry - 3 pt revolution/NBA learns to math

I just couldn't think of anything LeBron did that actually changed the game. At worst, #2 all time and once in a lifetime talent, but nothing he did can be copied like he did it unless they are the same physical specimen he was. They didn't change any rules for him and no one is really copying his game. The guys above all were the first to do what they did and players that came afterward have followed in their footsteps.

Last edited:

joker follows is better than but generally follows in the shoes of arvydas sabonis in my mind so i agree not really changing the game hes great but weve seen sweet passing and shooting speed challenged big men before take that to the bank bromigos

I give LeBron credit for the player empowerment of today. I am not saying whether it is good or bad, but LeBron took all of it to a new level. Recruiting players, firing coaches, changing teams constantly. Other guys have done some of this, but he is the first guy I can remember that did all of it and he he has done it many times. We hear people complain all the time about the power the players have. I think it is because of LeBron.

I also don't can't put Dirk there because he was the best stretch 4, guy like Rasheed Wallace, Kevin Garnett, and even Robert Horry were stretch 4's long before Dirk. Dirk is just better at it. Just my opinion though.

Harden caused a rule change because he was such an innovator in the foul-grifting space. He also helped kill the popularity of midrange jumpers, although D'Antoni probably deserves more credit for that aggressive EV-maximizing style. Harden was just one of the most famous executors of it.
I had this discussion in the last thread making the argument that Harden changed the game as much as anybody in recent history. D'Antoni maximized Harden, maybe, but Harden was in Houston for a couple years before D'Antoni got there and they were already playing a similar style.

i think Harden deserves mention along with Curry for ushering in this modern pace and space era

This is one I probably overlooked because of the player. Plus I believe that a lot of players could have been comparable to Harden in that system.

I give LeBron credit for the player empowerment of today. I am not saying whether it is good or bad, but LeBron took all of it to a new level. Recruiting players, firing coaches, changing teams constantly. Other guys have done some of this, but he is the first guy I can remember that did all of it and he he has done it many times. We hear people complain all the time about the power the players have. I think it is because of LeBron.

I also don't can't put Dirk there because he was the best stretch 4, guy like Rasheed Wallace, Kevin Garnett, and even Robert Horry were stretch 4's long before Dirk. Dirk is just better at it. Just my opinion though.
Dirks shooting versatility is way ahead of those guys.

Rasheed really could have been a hall of famer if he had committed and kept it together.

Mikan - lane widened
Magic - PGs can be big

I just couldn't think of anything LeBron did that actually changed the game. At worst, #2 all time and once in a lifetime talent, but nothing he did can be copied like he did it unless they are the same physical specimen he was. They didn't change any rules for him and no one is really copying his game. The guys above all were the first to do what they did and players that came afterward have followed in their footsteps.
I agree unless you want to argue that he ushered in the current/recent era of big skilled wings dominating the game. But at best that was maybe more of a reboot than changing the game.

I agree with this more than Jordan, LeBron or Magic. They were just really good.

Steph is a possibility as well.

I had this discussion in the last thread making the argument that Harden changed the game as much as anybody in recent history. D'Antoni maximized Harden, maybe, but Harden was in Houston for a couple years before D'Antoni got there and they were already playing a similar style.

Now that I think about Daryl Morey really changed the game, probably more than Harden and D'Antoni :nerd:

I had to listen to it a few times to make sure he wasn’t being sarcastic? I couldn’t believe it.

Which voice did he use?

I agree with this more than Jordan, LeBron or Magic. They were just really good.

Steph is a possibility as well.

Harden changed the game for the worse. Not sure that counts.

I think most recently its been Kareem, Jordan, and then Steph's English Longbow-esk 3 pointer.

KAT considers himself the best shooting big man of all-time, confirmed to him by the 3-point contest win, and thus gives himself credit for "revolutionizing the game" by showing big men they can be perimeter players. I mean, at least he's confident.

Also, Beal for Barnes, Davis, Murray, and Mitchell works moneywise, but I have to think both teams are destroying themselves with that trade.

KAT considers himself the best shooting big man of all-time, confirmed to him by the 3-point contest win, and thus gives himself credit for "revolutionizing the game" by showing big men they can be perimeter players. I mean, at least he's confident.

I consider SWC the best Milwaukeean that ever took it to the bank. As soon as we name that award he will change the bank game.

Mikan - lane widened
Magic - PGs can be big

If we are going old school there is no way you can leave off Bob Cousy...he is pretty much the Godfather of the modern NBA.

Also, Beal for Barnes, Davis, Murray, and Mitchell works moneywise, but I have to think both teams are destroying themselves with that trade.
I heard it would likely be Huerter, Holmes, and Mitchell plus a pick. i haven’t done the math on that but the Kings could conceivably use cap space to cover some of the incoming money if they let go of Barnes’s bird rights. I enjoyed the Wall/Beal era in Washington more than most but I’m a hard no on that from the Kings perspective.

I forgot Shaq. I give him a lot of crap for being out of shape but he was so dominate.

With that said, zone defense and FT rules were changed due to him.

Users who are viewing this thread