What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Lakers blame refs for blowing 20-point lead (21 Viewers)

Lakers now have a better winning percentage without LeBron than they do with him.

Crazy comeback tonight - can’t imagine AD plays tomorrow after limping through over 50 minutes tonight.

AD is the 4th player in NBA history with at least 30 points, 20 rebounds, four blocks and three 3-pointers in a game.

Any guesses on the other 3?

More fun with stats.

AD, Reaves, and Russell combined for 92 pts, 44 reb, 24 ast tonight.

First trio to combine for over 90/40/20 since 1971 - Chamberlain, West, Hairston.

Mavs destroyed the Kings on the road in the 2nd half. Outscored them 74-43

Kings are a solid team but they absolutely positively blew it this offseason not locking up someone better than Barnes/Huerter (latter coming off career year that could have been dealt). Resigning Barnes long term coming off his joke of a playoff performance vs. GS was laughable. They had all the ability in the world to do something last offseason with Murray on rookie deal and Monk signed cheap.

Shot in the dark: Cousins?
Bingo!

Last one is a player from the 80s/90s.
Screams Barkley. Maybe Magic?

Don't know of many else from that era with the skillset to hit all those marks.
Nope.

Jeopardy contestant: “I’ll take Tough Guys for $1,000, Alex.”

Trebek: “The Beastie Boys said it was time for this mother effer to die.”
🤣

Never would have guessed it's that guy

Last edited:
Just finished Mavs Kings catchup watch. Hope that wasn't so bad a beatdown that Sac comes out firing and takes game 2. PIVOTAL second game here for 6 seed. And Dallas is rolling with a chance as high as that 4 seed with LAC falling. Feeling like if they beat SAC in game 2 there's a likely shot at 5 or 6, since NO is also rolling right now.

Lakers now have a better winning percentage without LeBron than they do with him.

Crazy comeback tonight - can’t imagine AD plays tomorrow after limping through over 50 minutes tonight.
6-4 without him.
I'm going to drive by snipe the MVP conversation. Dame has been very underwhelming. Khris Middleton has been hurt. Giannis doesn't deserve MVP, but he should be in the discussion beyond 4th or 5th. Does efficiency count this year or not?

:backsawayslowly:
I would have had him 2nd or 3rd.

Jokic
Giannis/Luka
SGA

Everyone else
SGA should be 2nd. It’s Jokic in a tier by himself then SGA also in his own tier.. Would out Luka and Gianni’s in the third tier.

Bingo!

Nope.

🤣

Butcher me on the court
Too many elbows to report
Now you're poking me in the eye
Bill Laimbeer mother effer, it's time for you to die

6-4 without him.
I'm going to drive by snipe the MVP conversation. Dame has been very underwhelming. Khris Middleton has been hurt. Giannis doesn't deserve MVP, but he should be in the discussion beyond 4th or 5th. Does efficiency count this year or not?

Jokic
Giannis/Luka
SGA

Everyone else
SGA should be 2nd. It’s Jokic in a tier by himself then SGA also in his own tier.. Would out Luka and Gianni’s in the third tier.
I think SGA was in a tier at #2 by himself, but he's fallen off a smidge since the all-star break. I think he is still #2 for now but I would say it's Jokic then a huge drop to the next three all in one tier then an even bigger gap between those three at everybody else.

Bingo!

Nope.

🤣

Butcher me on the court
Too many elbows to report
Now you're poking me in the eye
Bill Laimbeer mother effer, it's time for you to die
Huh. C-Web and KG came to mind late last night.

6-4 without him.

Jokic
Giannis/Luka
SGA

Everyone else
I think SGA was in a tier at #2 by himself, but he's fallen off a smidge since the all-star break. I think he is still #2 for now but I would say it's Jokic then a huge drop to the next three all in one tier then an even bigger gap between those three at everybody else.
I pretty much agree with that. Basically, I see Luka as a more positive offensive impact than SGA with similar defense, and Giannis is similar offensively, though less of a hub/engine, and blows both out of the water defensively.

Before I get lambasted for the defense take - SGA definitely better at staying with guys. Both get a lot of steals (1.5 for Luka, 2 for SGA), and Luka nearly doubles SGA up on defensive boards - including RB% of team when on floor and individual advanced stats plus counting stats. Ending possessions is part of defense too.

With the "letting them play" mentality, Luka's size and strength have also immediately become bigger assets - there were more than a couple SAC drives 1:1 on him last night that were stifled with no help.

Similar defense? Between Luka and SGA?

edit: ok I stopped at that line and didn’t read the rest of the post, point taken. I’m no expert but SGA is getting mentioned as a potential all-defense candidate by serious people, seems like Luka is miles away from that. Luka is a better player overall imo, but that caught me by surprise.

Kings are a solid team but they absolutely positively blew it this offseason not locking up someone better than Barnes/Huerter (latter coming off career year that could have been dealt). Resigning Barnes long term coming off his joke of a playoff performance vs. GS was laughable. They had all the ability in the world to do something last offseason with Murray on rookie deal and Monk signed cheap.
FWIW, ATS the Mavs are one of the best teams on the 2nd day of a back-to-back (9-3), the Kings are not (4-9) , eight of those ATS losses have been double digits, and one of them was even as bad as last night.

FWIW, ATS the Mavs are one of the best teams on the 2nd day of a back-to-back (9-3), the Kings are not (4-9) , eight of those ATS losses have been double digits, and one of them was even as bad as last night.
Yeah, the Kings have been awful on back to backs this season. They can't use that as an excuse for last night given that the Mavericks didn't have any rest either, but I think Friday will be a more telling indication of where the teams are at. (It still may not be a good picture for Sacramento, but it will be more representative.)

Before I get lambasted for the defense take - SGA definitely better at staying with guys. Both get a lot of steals (1.5 for Luka, 2 for SGA), and Luka nearly doubles SGA up on defensive boards - including RB% of team when on floor and individual advanced stats plus counting stats. Ending possessions is part of defense too.
Luka is covering the opposing team's worst offensive player, typically their PF. And of course he is going to get more rebounds than a point guard. And Luka doesn't really nearly double SGA in defensive boards (4.7 to 8.2).

I think Luka is a better defender than most, but anyone who watches any Dallas games knows that he takes multiple possessions completely off every single game. And anyone who watches OKC knows that while SGA doesn't typically get the opposing teams best wing, he isn't hiding out in the corner on the worst player either.

SGA will, and should get some all-defense votes. Luka will never ever receive one single all-defense votes in his entire career

6-4 without him.

Jokic
Giannis/Luka
SGA

Everyone else

I agree with most of this. I think it's pretty clear Jokic - SGA - Luka in the first three tiers. 4th tier is Giannis, Edwards and Tatum

6-4 without him.

Jokic
Giannis/Luka
SGA

Everyone else

I agree with most of this. I think it's pretty clear Jokic - SGA - Luka in the first three tiers. 4th tier is Giannis, Edwards and Tatum

Beyond team success, why do Edwards and Tatum even deserve inclusion in this discussion? I think the delineation between the top 4 and whatever that next tier is massive. I think the difference between the fifth best player this year and whoever of the SGA/Luka/Giannis contingent you want to choose is bigger than whoever the 5th best player is to whoever will end up being the first guy out in All-NBA voting (Booker/Durant/Sabonis/Curry, etc).

6-4 without him.

Jokic
Giannis/Luka
SGA

Everyone else

Beyond team success, why do Edwards and Tatum even deserve inclusion in this discussion? I think the delineation between the top 4 and whatever that next tier is massive. I think the difference between the fifth best player this year and whoever of the SGA/Luka/Giannis contingent you want to choose is bigger than whoever the 5th best player is to whoever will end up being the first guy out in All-NBA voting (Booker/Durant/Sabonis/Curry, etc).
I would have a few guys in the 4th tier including Tatum and Durant. Booker hasn't played enough games. Curry is having his worst year since like his 2nd year in the league. He has been bad post all star

Also - no Pat Bev talk in here? Guy is out for the season. Beasley/Dame backcourt is going to get so torched defensively in the playoffs

Bill Simmons spending a podcast segment trying to figure out why the best nba players in history are from the south was certainly a choice.

Kobe as an Italian-Philly hybrid got wayyyyy too much airtime
Simmon's wasn't wrong though. Kobe probably doesn't become the player he became if he's raised in the United States his entire childhood.

The larger picture is how poor the US is at producing top NBA players. Considering how much bball talent and resources the US pours into the sport ...why aren't there many, many more US born NBA superstars?

We all know the answers to that question. We've been talking about it for decades while doing nothing (or making it worse). It's one sport specialization from a young age, it's the extreme attention good players garner too early, it's moving around to get touches and be on a better team, and it's AAU ball in general.

Is playing 6-8 games in a weekend "tournament" (where the results matter less than the highlights and attention a player can generate) going to make for great players? If it did, US born players would occupy 95% of NBA roster spots. Instead, we are where we are.

Bill Simmons spending a podcast segment trying to figure out why the best nba players in history are from the south was certainly a choice.

Kobe as an Italian-Philly hybrid got wayyyyy too much airtime
Simmon's wasn't wrong though. Kobe probably doesn't become the player he became if he's raised in the United States his entire childhood.

The larger picture is how poor the US is at producing top NBA players. Considering how much bball talent and resources the US pours into the sport ...why aren't there many, many more US born NBA superstars?

We all know the answers to that question. We've been talking about it for decades while doing nothing (or making it worse). It's one sport specialization from a young age, it's the extreme attention good players garner too early, it's moving around to get touches and be on a better team, and it's AAU ball in general.

Is playing 6-8 games in a weekend "tournament" (where the results matter less than the highlights and attention a player can generate) going to make for great players? If it did, US born players would occupy 95% of NBA roster spots. Instead, we are where we are.

Maybe the path right now is messed up. Maybe it is too hard to play this much. We've got NBA stars that complain about 65 games in a year.

One thing I'm sure of is that nobody could ever out-work Kobe. One of the greatest performers of all time. A constant example of will and perseverance.

Nobody is going to care about Bill Simmons in a couple of decades. Let's spend out time thinking about the real greats.

Oops Draymond - his 4th ejection of the season less than 4 minutes into the game.
He should have twice that many ejections.

I've never seen anyone get away with more berating of officials. There are a lot of guys who whine, but Green is noticeably yelling at them, being demonstrative in his objections and getting their face yet rarely gets penalized.

Oops Draymond - his 4th ejection of the season less than 4 minutes into the game.

I've never seen anyone get away with more berating of officials. There are a lot of guys who whine, but Green is noticeably yelling at them, being demonstrative in his objections and getting their face yet rarely gets penalized.
I keep waiting for the day that someone cans his future career on "Inside the NBA".

He is such a POS. Get him out of the game.

At least Oubre was funny with his berating of the officials. Went after all three as well as their families.

Users who are viewing this thread