What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cleveland Browns - THE RETURN OF CADE YORK (2 Viewers)

Possible Defensive Free Agent Targets

i was looking at the list the other day and it seems like there are a fair amount of DTs available.

personally, i think they will sign a few mid level FAs instead of signing one of the upper tier FAs and filling in with the bottom of the barrel players.

i keep hearing on talk radio that the Browns need to add another top shelf WR.

isn't that why they traded 3 first round picks for Deshaun Watson?

so they didn't have to spend a ton of resources on offensive skill positions?

isn't that why they traded 3 first round picks for Deshaun Watson?

so they didn't have to spend a ton of resources on offensive skill positions?
:yes:

If there's a shot at cheap speed I think they'll take a swing, but I'll be very surprised if they consider going any higher.

Possible Defensive Free Agent Targets

i was looking at the list the other day and it seems like there are a fair amount of DTs available.

personally, i think they will sign a few mid level FAs instead of signing one of the upper tier FAs and filling in with the bottom of the barrel players.
I'm watching for Amari Cooper-esque trades - cap strapped teams looking to divorce from a vet.
well, the Browns have 8 draft picks available to trade.

Jack Duffin
@JackDuffin
#Browns net yardage on kick off returns out the endzone in 2022: 30 yards lost 1f92e.png
W1 +1
W2 +9
W3 -13
W4 -17
W5 N/A
W6 -8
W7 -13
W8 N/A
W10 +21
W11 N/A
W12 -3
W13 -4
W14 +4
W15 -14
W16 N/A
W17 N/A
W18 +7
Previous seasons:
2021 -40
2020 -13
------------
Report: Bubba Ventrone leaving the Colts to take ST coordinator job with Browns
...they have supposedly already landed their new coordinator as their former safety Bubba Ventrone is expected to leave the Indianapolis Colts to take the gig in Cleveland.

Ventrone spent four seasons in Cleveland, from 2009 to 2012, predominantly as a special teams ace for the Browns. He has worked as a coach on special teams units for both the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts after his retirement as a player. He now takes over as the special teams coordinator for the Browns after five seasons in the same role with the Colts.
------------------------------------------
Jake Burns
@jake_burns18
The Browns ranked third in kickoffs returned at 41. The Colts were second at 43. If you don’t like it, that won’t be changing with Bubba.
mike b
@brownsfan4141
I didn't like how no matter who the returner was, they didn't take the touchback and constantly say it's back 5 to 8 yards on kick returns. That tells me that it was being coached that way. Imo
-------------------------
Nate Atkins
@NateAtkins_
One difference is the Colts’ kick returner led the NFL in average return yards.
Jake Burns
@jake_burns18
For sure. Browns 15th. Difference being just under 4 yards. So, matters but…yeah.
----------------------
Jake Burns
@jake_burns18
23rd in average starting field position but the difference between that and 1st is around two yards, so big shrug. Jerome is more than capable.

Last edited:
personally, i would take the touchback every time it's available.

which is odd, because generally i support going for it on 4th down, and going for the TD over the FG.

just seems like the risk/reward really isn't there with kick returns.

Link at the bottom to an interview worth listening to.
Jack Duffin is the best salary cap guru I've ever come across. He really knows the cap inside and out and dishes some 'interesting' aspects of the cap for the AFCN.

4:30 mark: Duffin was asked his take on the fully guaranteed contract signed for Watson, how others were critical and it's impact on the cap/team.
Paraphrasing for brevity so go to the link to hear his words >>> Criticism is overblown because top-flight QBs don't get traded. He rattled off names of mediocre QBs who got traded who had huge cap hits that are 'effectively guaranteed' so the Browns shouldn't be criticized for the guaranteed portion of Watson's contract reiterating that above average QBs rarely if ever get traded showing that a QB of Watson's caliber getting dealt has never happened. He stated there are about 8 to 10 'good QBs' and everyone who doesn't have one, wants one.

6:30 = Lamar Jackson contract with the Raven's being so far apart in guaranteed aspect of his contract boils down to the Ravens NOT HAVING ENOUGH MONEY AVAILABLE IN ESCROW. How many owners have $200 million sitting around?

9:20 = Joe Burrow will sign a contract for MORE MONEY than Watson with 'rolling guarantees'

11:00
= More on the contract Lamar Jackson

He sums up the Browns/Watson deal by saying that in a year or two we'll see the contract as a bargain.

The most interesting part of this interview IMHO.
13:00 = Browns have had endured a slew of non-ending attacks for signing Watson even though it's been reported that other teams were going to give Watson a FULLY GUARANTEED contract and Duffin named the Falcons as one of those teams.
Duffin states that there were 'loads of other teams, about half of the league' who speculates were seriously looking into trading for Watson and mentioned the STEELERS as one of the teams who were inquiring into to a trade for Watson.

16:00 = Browns cap situation. It was reported by ESPN that the Browns are $20 million over the cap but according to Duffin, he has them around $13 million. He breaks down how the Browns will move cap around to gain more cap space.
He projects we'll free-up $61.5 million.
------------------
Justin Kinner
@1410Kinner
We're joined LIVE by @JackDuffin with the @TheOBR as we break down the salary cap hurdles for the #Browns #Bengals #Ravens & #Steelers! @ESPNDayton
============
>>> LINK

I know very little about the escrow component. Do other leagues like MLB/NBA have to escrow their contracts since those are guaranteed?

now that it's all but official, was John Johnson the problem, or was he just a square peg being put in a round hole?

i keep hearing on talk radio that the Browns need to add another top shelf WR.
Is Brian Brennan still alive? Bring him back. Really though - what top shelf WR did the Super Bowl champion Chiefs have?
They have Mahomes, maybe the best QB ever in his prime.
The other three teams in the final four certainly had some top shelf WRs.
We badly need playmakers. Badly. While the Chiefs had no studs, they had like 8 guys who can make a play. We have like 3 of those, and it makes us easy to defend.

Sign me up for a WR at pick 42 this year. There SHOULD be some good ones to choose from.

now that it's all but official, was John Johnson the problem, or was he just a square peg being put in a round hole?
It WASN'T a cap move, which means the reason JJ was cut is due to poor performance. He 'reportedly' also was critical of the coaches/defensive schemes/game plans.
Lets face it, our safeties were an issue and he NEVER lived up to his contract. Shifting his salary to someone like:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Browns set to make a run at Jessie Bates, per report There’s already a connection to the Browns and a major need at defensive back.
...The Browns are expected to pursue Bates if he’s not extended, franchised or traded to someone besides the Browns. A 2020 second-team All-Pro, Bates would likely average more than $14 million a year in a new deal, but he’s the caliber of impact safety the Browns are seeking to replace Johnson.
...While other teams like the Falcons will make a run, the Browns would offer a much better chance to compete with a Super Bowl, especially since Bates would be in a defense that has the potential to wreak havoc with Myles Garrett up front and Jim Schwartz being a significant upgrade as the defensive play-caller.

Expect the Browns to be one of Bates’ top suitors when free agency opens.

Link at the bottom to an interview worth listening to.
Jack Duffin is the best salary cap guru I've ever come across. He really knows the cap inside and out and dishes some 'interesting' aspects of the cap for the AFCN.

4:30 mark: Duffin was asked his take on the fully guaranteed contract signed for Watson, how others were critical and it's impact on the cap/team.
Paraphrasing for brevity so go to the link to hear his words >>> Criticism is overblown because top-flight QBs don't get traded. He rattled off names of mediocre QBs who got traded who had huge cap hits that are 'effectively guaranteed' so the Browns shouldn't be criticized for the guaranteed portion of Watson's contract reiterating that above average QBs rarely if ever get traded showing that a QB of Watson's caliber getting dealt has never happened. He stated there are about 8 to 10 'good QBs' and everyone who doesn't have one, wants one.

6:30 = Lamar Jackson contract with the Raven's being so far apart in guaranteed aspect of his contract boils down to the Ravens NOT HAVING ENOUGH MONEY AVAILABLE IN ESCROW. How many owners have $200 million sitting around?

9:20 = Joe Burrow will sign a contract for MORE MONEY than Watson with 'rolling guarantees'

11:00
= More on the contract Lamar Jackson

He sums up the Browns/Watson deal by saying that in a year or two we'll see the contract as a bargain.

The most interesting part of this interview IMHO.
13:00 = Browns have had endured a slew of non-ending attacks for signing Watson even though it's been reported that other teams were going to give Watson a FULLY GUARANTEED contract and Duffin named the Falcons as one of those teams.
Duffin states that there were 'loads of other teams, about half of the league' who speculates were seriously looking into trading for Watson and mentioned the STEELERS as one of the teams who were inquiring into to a trade for Watson.

16:00 = Browns cap situation. It was reported by ESPN that the Browns are $20 million over the cap but according to Duffin, he has them around $13 million. He breaks down how the Browns will move cap around to gain more cap space.
He projects we'll free-up $61.5 million.
------------------
Justin Kinner
@1410Kinner
We're joined LIVE by @JackDuffin with the @TheOBR as we break down the salary cap hurdles for the #Browns #Bengals #Ravens & #Steelers! @ESPNDayton
============
>>> LINK
It's not that I love Watson but I am very interested in the Lamar Jackson situation and how it unfolds
Further more, I want to spotlight you and these types of posts you continue to provide in the Shark Pool
It's great you provide the link and what I enjoy is you bring the highlights right into the post
I like the topic headers, easy to skim for key info.

I've been reading a lot of your bullet points in recent days, thank you for taking the time to post

Trailblazer Catherine Raîche able to 'balance both worlds' as Browns assistant GM, mother
...A year ago at this time, Raîche was still in her role as the Philadelphia Eagles' Vice President of Football Operations. She was also pregnant with her first child.

A year later, Raîche stood in front of a group of reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine as the highest-ranked female team personnel executive in NFL history, as the Assistant General Manager and Vice President of Football Operations for the Browns...
-------------------------------------
(y)

On a defense in desperate need of veteran leadership he resorted to finger pointing and was frequently at least part to blame for multiple major gaffes per game. He may not have been the #1 problem, but he is not part of the solution.

Over at Bleacher Report, a trade was proposed that would land Brandin Cooks with the Browns. Cleveland would send the No. 99 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft and a 2024 third-round pick to Houston in exchange for Cooks.
I've never been on board with Cooks. Been with a slew of teams and its never worked out. Not a fan.
-----------------------------------------------------
Brad Stainbrook
@StainbrookNFL

Source: #Browns haven’t expressed interest in acquiring Texans WR Brandin Cooks this offseason as of now.

Over at Bleacher Report, a trade was proposed that would land Brandin Cooks with the Browns. Cleveland would send the No. 99 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft and a 2024 third-round pick to Houston in exchange for Cooks.
I've never been on board with Cooks. Been with a slew of teams and its never worked out. Not a fan.
-----------------------------------------------------
Brad Stainbrook
@StainbrookNFL

Source: #Browns haven’t expressed interest in acquiring Texans WR Brandin Cooks this offseason as of now.
personally, i'd spend all the resources on the defense.

wasting picks on other teams castoffs seems silly.

I want a dome
I kinda do too but then I live in SC so I don't get a vote. Regardless of which way they go, the price tags are staggering:

“The starting price tag for a new open-air stadium surpasses $1 billion easily. A domed stadium’s price tag starts north of $2 billion. A retractable roof facility would cost another $750 million to $1 billion more on top of that.”

I want a dome
I kinda do too but then I live in SC so I don't get a vote. Regardless of which way they go, the price tags are staggering:

“The starting price tag for a new open-air stadium surpasses $1 billion easily. A domed stadium’s price tag starts north of $2 billion. A retractable roof facility would cost another $750 million to $1 billion more on top of that.”
I guess it's a good thing the dome will be used more than 10 times a year then

Browns sign Dalvin Tomlinson

great news as they really needed to shore up DT.

rough math so far they’ve used up about 25 of the 36 they freed up, no idea on how the deals are actually structured. (actual amount probably lower with signing bonuses)

not sure how much room they really have for any additional signings.

Browns sign Dalvin Tomlinson
LINK to video
-------------
Theo Ash
@TheoAshNFL
Dalvin Tomlinson is playing out of his mind so far
-------------
Q breaks down the signing in the video below.
👇
BREAKING!!! HUGE BROWNS SIGN DALVIN TOMLINSON!
==========
Ogbo Okoronkwo
@OgboOkoronkwo
To The Land!!!!
---
Chase Winovich
@Wino
I don’t owe my twitter family and supporters anything but the truth - I whole heartedly loved Cleveland and my teammates there so much. Thank you to whole @Browns org - the Haslam family, management, and all the coaches for believing me and for all the love and opportunities!

Last edited:
5 Players Browns Should Still Sign

not sure if i agree with any of these, but i do appreciate the thought process behind them.
I'm not expecting CGJ, but if they're making any more splashes I'll be surprised if it's anyone else.

Parris is the sorta flier I expect if a wr is added, but may be more of a post draft thing.
he called Thornhill.
I thought he was going to cost a lot more than that.
Berry definitely has a plan.

Jack Duffin​

@JackDuffin
Incredibly productive when on the field but injuries have been his biggest issue. My OBR FA Cheat Sheet “Maurice Hurst, 49ers ($Min) - If the medicals check out, I will never stop wanting to take a chance on him.”
Brad Stainbrook
@StainbrookNFL
9h

Source: #Browns are signing DT Maurice Hurst
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Browns to sign Maurice Hurst Posted by Josh Alper on March 16, 2023, 7:04 AM

he called Thornhill.
Jack Duffin
@JackDuffin

PFF Forced Incompletion Stat (50% min)
Juan Thornhill - 20% (3rd for S)
Martin Emerson - 20% (6th for CB)
Denzel Ward - 19% (7th for CB)
Grant Delpit - 14% (12th for S)
Greg Newsome - 11% (39th for CB)
For Reference John Johnson - 8% (47th for S)
----------------------------------------
MoreForYouCleveland
@MoreForYou_CLE
The #Browns have signed S Juan Thornhill (via@Schultz_Report).
He has posted an 82.4 PFF coverage grade since 2019, which ranks 11th among all safeties in that span.
John Johnson PFF coverage grade
2022 JJ PFF grade -
the reason JJ was cut is due to poor performance. He 'reportedly' also was critical of the coaches/defensive schemes/game plans.
Lets face it, our safeties were an issue and he NEVER lived up to his contract.

Last edited:
if he were just better at drafting.
Mostly agree. Even so, you can see the planning. They figure out ways to fill their needs, but the guys fall short. I'm hoping the FAs don't continue this pattern since they're "lesser knowns".

Users who are viewing this thread