What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Getting ready for the draft in Motown. (13 Viewers)

Anthony Richardson at 1.06? Do I love AR? Nope. He has some big flaws that could be fatal but I think he's mostly a mystery box. All the tools are there to be a Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson MVP candidate level QB. Detroit is in the unique position of being able to take it slow with him as there would be zero expectation that he starts a game this year. I know this is controversial so here's my rationale
  • This IS a win now move. The Lions are clearly setting this team up to make a playoff run in 2023. As they should, they are a significant favorite to win the NFC North. All it takes is one injury to Goff though and the season is done. We could be looking at a 9-3 record and then boom, Goff falls the wrong way, breaks a collarbone and now it's Nate Sudfeld or some veteran off the scrap heap like Flacco or Bridgewater. Having AR, would give us a super talented backup and possibly provide enough playmaking ability where even if his passing isn't ready, his legs can wreak havoc on defenses.
  • This is also a win later move. It gives us options for the QB position. Leverage for the Goff negotiations, the ability to let Goff walk, a potential star QB on a rookie deal with a loaded roster.
  • If we are thinking Super Bowl this year, adding a few Richardson packages as the year goes would add a wrinkle to the offense that could give defenses fits. Look at the Eagles and their push play. Nobody is stopping AR at the goal line or on 4th and short. Think Taysom Hill with blazing speed and a cannon arm.
  • QB is the ultimate value. There is no position harder to fill in all of football and their price tag is higher than any other position (both in terms of contract $ and trade value). If Richardson plays in some preseason, gets a few reps here and there during the season and the buzz is good, he can be a huge trade chip for the future. QB is probably the only position where a top 10 pick can hardly even play or only play decently and still retain a ton of value. If we decide we want to commit long term to Goff, we can probably flip AR for a 1st or 2nd.
AR is 53% completion percentage, LJ was >63% in college. Hurts was over 71%. Its night and day. Similar to how Bryce Young is an outlier in terms of size, AR is a huge outlier in terms of accuracy. Even Josh Allen was 56% and he is an anomaly. Its like drafting a college WR with a >10% drop rate. You shouldn't be learning how to catch and throw in the NFL if you are a first round pick. But some teams never learn about never learning
I hear you, AR is a project. The good part is he's so early in his progress. He's only thrown 393 college passes. Of course it is worrisome because we don't know what kind of finished product he will be, but we do know that he has a lot of room to grow. I think if you put AR in a healthy football environment with quality coaching, he is going to improve. How much is the question? If Ben, Dan and Brad look at him and think he's the kind of QB they could mold then I think it'a very worthwhile gamble.

As for comping to Lamar and Jalen, that's obviously based on physical traits. Lamar and Jalen were way more experienced coming out. Lamar and Hurts had thrown over 1000 college passes. They were much better with the last 300 passes than they were with their first 300. They got the reps to get better.

Lamar's first year as a starter: 54.7% completion (his career average was 57% and he never exceeded 59% for a season)
Jalen's first year as a starter: 63% (his career average was 69%) and Hurts benefited from playing in 2 of the most talented and QB friendly offenses in the country.

So I see Lamar and AR both around 54% in their first years starting and I see the improvements he made, I do think it is possible that AR can improve by 10% in the NFL. He's never going to be Drew Brees accurate but the arm strength and the mobility can makeup for it and then some.
AR was 53% in high school too. He did improve his senior year. But that's 53% avg over the last 7 seasons in high school + college. Could he improve to 63% in the pros. Sure its possible. But there is a reason he only threw 393 college passes. You are banking on his RB skills to compensate. The upside is probably Justin Fields with worse accuracy and a similar sack rate.

AR was 53% in high school too. He did improve his senior year. But that's 53% avg over the last 7 seasons in high school + college. Could he improve to 63% in the pros. Sure its possible. But there is a reason he only threw 393 college passes. You are banking on his RB skills to compensate. The upside is probably Justin Fields with worse accuracy and a similar sack rate.

HS completion %? That’s too deep for me. I don’t even know what the average HS completion % is.

Calais Campbell signing with the Falcons.

Y'all see the report they're thinking about leaving Allen Park? Apparently they want a bigger site with better ingress/egress to accommodate fans, especially when they hold joint practices. Open TC practices will be free again this year. Joint practices with the Giants.

Upcoming prospect visits include at least 3 guards: Steve Avila (TCU), Chandler Zavala (NC State), Atonio Mafi (UCLA.) Jonah is up next year and no Gs are signed beyond 2024. Other visits: Georgia DI Jalen Carter, South Carolina CB Emmanuel Forbes, Stephen F Austin ED B.J. Thompson, and KSU (née Nebraska) QB Adrian Martinez.

Dan Campbell embracing skyrocketing expectations

The Detroit Lions haven’t won a division title since 1993, haven’t won a playoff game since 1991, haven’t won a championship since 1957, and just in case you’ve forgotten any of that, Dan Campbell had it painted in giant numbers across the back wall of the team meeting room.

That’s some heavy history, and coaches have run from the burden for years. Matt Patricia grew visibly uncomfortable every time it was brought up, insisting none of it had to do with him or his players today. But Dan Campbell is a little different than Matt Patricia -- perhaps you’ve noticed -- and has leaned into the sordid history that has defined this franchise for more than a half-century.

Lions might sell out for the season. Not sure if that's ever happened. They were last in the league in attendance in 2021.

HS completion %? That’s too deep for me. I don’t even know what the average HS completion % is.

I hit .438 my senior year. Still can't believe the Tigers didn't draft me.

Calais Campbell signing with the Falcons.

Y'all see the report they're thinking about leaving Allen Park? Apparently they want a bigger site with better ingress/egress to accommodate fans, especially when they hold joint practices. Open TC practices will be free again this year. Joint practices with the Giants.

Upcoming prospect visits include at least 3 guards: Steve Avila (TCU), Chandler Zavala (NC State), Atonio Mafi (UCLA.) Jonah is up next year and no Gs are signed beyond 2024. Other visits: Georgia DI Jalen Carter, South Carolina CB Emmanuel Forbes, Stephen F Austin ED B.J. Thompson, and KSU (née Nebraska) QB Adrian Martinez.

Dan Campbell embracing skyrocketing expectations

The Detroit Lions haven’t won a division title since 1993, haven’t won a playoff game since 1991, haven’t won a championship since 1957, and just in case you’ve forgotten any of that, Dan Campbell had it painted in giant numbers across the back wall of the team meeting room.

That’s some heavy history, and coaches have run from the burden for years. Matt Patricia grew visibly uncomfortable every time it was brought up, insisting none of it had to do with him or his players today. But Dan Campbell is a little different than Matt Patricia -- perhaps you’ve noticed -- and has leaned into the sordid history that has defined this franchise for more than a half-century.

Lions might sell out for the season. Not sure if that's ever happened. They were last in the league in attendance in 2021.
If I had the extra cash and the time(mostly the travel time), it would be an adventure to fly in for their homes games
Mingle with the fan base that hasn't tasted success in a very long time.
Hard Rock sells out and many stadiums you have to get in line to buy a season ticket
Miami hasn't tasted success despite 3 winning seasons in a row....10-7 and then B2B 9-8, firmly back at mediocrity where we've been for 25 years now

I like how they are layering the roster. Hoping Big V is healthy if not we signed GG and oh by the way will probably draft a versatile IOL. Took Alim after drafting Levi, took Paschal after getting Hutch, and will likely add to the DL Day 1. Signed 3 DBs, two of them are chess pieces we can move around, and likely will still target a Corner in this deep class.

Campbell talked yesterday about they’ve raised the floor. They embrace next man up, even CJG talked about it and he just got here. Don’t go into a season hoping you stay healthy, acknowledge there will be injuries, that’s the NFL, be ready for that. When you construct the roster with capable backups you can just keep it rolling when bad stuff happens.

Still lacking a backup QB though.

Rod Wood presser notes (stolen from Reddit, I never watch his media availability):
  • Rod requested we play a European game this year as it would count as a road game for us so that we don’t have to give up a home game in the near future.
  • Lions are against the proposed Thursday Night flex rule citing inconvenience for fans as a big factor.
  • New helmets to be released sometime “late spring” and can only be worn with the grey jerseys.
  • Expects a good amount of primetime games.
  • Lions org working on feedback from the NFL wide player feedback survey but Rod says the Lions do their own survey that is more detailed & extensive than the league one & they’re already proactively addressing some of the issues they graded low on. Said they’re already working on redoing the dining facility.
  • Players love the new turf. Same turf was installed at Allen Park. David Montgomery said it was the “best indoor field he’s ever seen” when he saw it.
  • Barry statue coming soon. Likely a VIP soft opening party and will be ready for opening home game at Ford Field.
  • Lions are constantly looking to improve making getting in and out of Ford Field as easy as possible for fans. Especially with larger crowds & more sellouts.
  • Lions have record “96%+” season ticket renewal & thousands of additional season ticket requests.
  • Things continue to trend in a positive direction with the relationship with Calvin Johnson.
  • Metallica tour will push Lions on the road for one of the weekends they’re at Ford Field. Says he fully expects Dan to be at the Friday show.
  • Requested a road game for week one.
  • (As previously discussed here) is looking at the possibility of a brand new training/practice facility that’s easier for player & fan access. Wants bigger crowds for practices & preseason.
  • Requested Home, Away, Home for preseason. Says being home for the last preseason game makes it easier for final roster cuts on the staff as they have more time to focus on those decisions.

Welcome back Marvin Jones. Still need a WR though.

Jones thrived under Stafford who would throw tight-window passes into coverage. Goff prefers to throw passes where there is clear separation. Marvin makes very tough catches and is a great WR, but I am not sure is the best fir for Goff. He will only catch 1-2 passes per game, but offers some insurance for ARSB.

Welcome back Marvin Jones. Still need a WR though.
Another case of Holmes covering his bases in case the draft doesn't fall exactly to a certain position.

Every position seems to be at least adequately addressed and in many cases upgraded, yet not even any rumors about backup QB.

I'm not so sure they draft a QB to be the backup. I have a gut feeling based on nothing that they have plans to acquire a vet after the draft. Right now they want everyone to think they might take one at six for a potential haul. Holmes isn't a clown like Quinn telling every GM they have zero intention of taking a QB.

Calijah Kancey ran a 6.82 3-cone at his Pro Day Wednesday (and 4.33 20-yard shuttle.)

To put that in perspective, the all-time Combine record for interior DL is 7.07 (Fletcher Cox, 2012.)

DT Calijah Kancey's numbers from Combine/Pro Day
HT: 6-1 (9th percentile)
WT: 283 (6th percentile)
10-yard: 1.64 (95th percentile)
40: 4.67 (99th percentile)
3-cone: 6.82 (99th percentile) - would rank 5th all-time if an Official Combine time
Short shuttle: 4.33 (94th percentile)

An all-time "he's small... BUT" prospect

Calijah Kancey ran a 6.82 3-cone at his Pro Day Wednesday (and 4.33 20-yard shuttle.)

To put that in perspective, the all-time Combine record for interior DL is 7.07 (Fletcher Cox, 2012.)

DT Calijah Kancey's numbers from Combine/Pro Day
HT: 6-1 (9th percentile)
WT: 283 (6th percentile)
10-yard: 1.64 (95th percentile)
40: 4.67 (99th percentile)
3-cone: 6.82 (99th percentile) - would rank 5th all-time if an Official Combine time
Short shuttle: 4.33 (94th percentile)

An all-time "he's small... BUT" prospect
PFF on Kancey:

is Kancey the next Donald? No. Nobody is. Donald is a singular player in the history of the league, and we may never see somebody like that again. But we can aim our sights a lot lower and still end up with a dominant player at the next level.

Can Kancey end up as a more consistent and effective player than Ed Oliver — a similarly undersized interior lineman with freakish movement skills? That’s a far more reasonable target to aim for. Oliver was selected ninth overall in 2019. He weighed in under 290 pounds and ran a 4.73-second 40 time, ranking in the 90th percentile or better in seven different athletic tests.

Just hope the team stays grounded and doesn't read too many of their own hype pieces. There is still a lot of hard work left to be done
This is why I was never too much into the Hard Knocks stuff from last year. Going into a season I'd want as few distractions as possible.

Just hope the team stays grounded and doesn't read too many of their own hype pieces. There is still a lot of hard work left to be done
This is why I was never too much into the Hard Knocks stuff from last year. Going into a season I'd want as few distractions as possible.
I think it worked as a great recruiting tool though. Detroit has managed to totally change the narrative on their organization.

That Hard Knocks might have been the best thing that has ever happened to the Lions franchise.

That Hard Knocks might have been the best thing that has ever happened to the Lions franchise.
Sheila Hemp taking over was the best thing which ever happened. The first of the Ford family who was highly competitive and knows how to run an organization. Brad Holmes is the genius and MCDC is the heart and soul, but it was Sheila who brought in Speilman and help made those hires.

By "distraction" I was referring to their 1-7 start that cost them a playoff spot. Once all that was behind them they got back to the business of winning games.
I think the #1 motivation for FAs is simply money. Also which team is more likely to be winning, coming off a 9-8 season works better than coming off a 3-13-1 season.

By "distraction" I was referring to their 1-7 start that cost them a playoff spot. Once all that was behind them they got back to the business of winning games.
I think the #1 motivation for FAs is simply money. Also which team is more likely to be winning, coming off a 9-8 season works better than coming off a 3-13-1 season.
Yes but what happens when teams are offering similar pay? If I had two similar paying job offers, workplace culture would absolutely be a big part of my decision.

Yes but what happens when teams are offering similar pay? If I had two similar paying job offers, workplace culture would absolutely be a big part of my decision.
True on that. But I still think that's more of a word of mouth thing between players more than what they watch on HBO. Similar to how many players know about Patricia in a negative way.

True on that. But I still think that's more of a word of mouth thing between players more than what they watch on HBO. Similar to how many players know about Patricia in a negative way.

Hard Knocks turned around a lot of national media and got the bandwagon groundswell started. For players relationships played a big factor, and they notice when things are being done the right way. Sutton, Monty and CJGJ all mentioned something along the lines of "hey we played these guys, and you could see that sideline is different."

Saw a clip of Dré Bly on Woodward, he interned with AG and knew Dan from that staff. He started for the Greatest Show on Turf before he came here as a player, and he said "We went from 3-13 to Super Bowl Champs, and the biggest reason was we had great leadership Vermeil. Dan is a great leader, but the whole staff is made up of like minded individuals. The whole building is full of leaders." Even for coaching additions like Dré and defensive consultant John Fox, it's about 1) relationships with the people already here, and 2) wanting to be part of a great culture.

Going to take a lot of hard work to keep this on track, but this team is on a great trajectory. If the money is right then heck yeah people want to be part of bringing Detroit it's first division title in 30 years.

Lions list of pre-draft visits

DL Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern (Pro Day)
DL Karl Brooks, Bowling Green (Top 30)
LB Trenton Simpson, Clemson (Combine)
LB Noah Sewell, Oregon (Combine)
LB DeMarvion Overshown, Texas (Pro Day)
EDGE BJ Thompson, Stephen F Austin (Top 30)
CB Cory Trice, Purdue (Pro Day)
S Jammie Robinson, Florida State (Combine)
QB Anthony Richardson, Florida (Combine)
QB Adrian Martinez, Kansas State (Top 30)
QB Aidan O’Connell, Purdue (Pro Day)
RB Evan Hull, Northwestern (Pro Day)
WR Jayden Reed, Michigan State (Combine)
WR Ronnie Bell, Michigan (Pro Day)
WR Quentin Johnston, TCU (Combine)
WR Antoine Green, North Carolina (Combine)
TE Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State (Combine)
TE Sam LaPorta, Iowa (Combine)
OT Quinton Barrow, Grand Valley State (Pro Day)
OT Darnell Wright, Tennessee (Combine)
T/G Jordan McFadden, Clemson (Combine)
G Chandler Zavala, NC State (Top 30)
G Antonio Mafi, UCLA (Top 30)

new additions:

RB Keaton Mitchell, East Carolina (Top 30)
RB Evan Hull, Northwestern (Pro Day)
IOL Steve Avila, TCU (Top 30) - also posted this one the other day
OG O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida (Top 30) - looking at every other G so why not
OL Mark Evans, Arkansas Pine-Bluff (Virtual)
Pass rushing LB Nick Hampton, Appalachian State (Pro Day)
CB Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State (Pro Day)
CB Carrington Valenton, Kentucky (Pro Day)

This is what I expect the Lions first five picks (6, 18, 48, 55, and 81) to be in no particular order:

IDL
ILB
CB
QB
WR

They are playing their cards much closer to their chest than usual. I kind of expect the Lions to flip pick 6, unless someone they really love falls. It is much different than normal drafts where the Lions have massive holes to fill.

Mike Renner imagines the Lions getting Richardson and BIjan.

Same guy has Tanner McKee as #32 on his Big Board (consensus rank is 114th.)

I like Renner, and that was a good show, listened to it earlier. They were looking at possible scenarios the four teams with two first rounders.

2023 NFL Draft Ideal Scenarios for Teams with Multiple First Round Picks

BTW, their more serious answer was Tyree Wilson at 6 and Calijah Kancey at 18.

The dream scenario was to take the big swing, move up to #3 to draft Richardson - which probably costs them 48, 81 and a 2024 pick. Keep Goff as the starter for two years while you figure out how to use the most athletic QB ever tested. If you take QB then select Kancey or Myles Murphy or Nolan Smith at 18.

OR JUST GO COMPLETELY BONKERS AND DRAFT THE BEST RUSHING GAME EVAH

Lions need to make at least 3 of their first 4 picks defensive players.

IMO

I like Renner, and that was a good show, listened to it earlier. They were looking at possible scenarios the four teams with two first rounders.
I very much like him, he's not Hot Take Guy.

If I could arrange a draft pick in front of my Raiders, Tyree to DET would probably by my #1 priority. He might turn out to be fine, but he's not close to a real stud. Buying potential.

I think most likely DET slaps a double to center, and take their #1 CB, whoever it is.

If I could arrange a draft pick in front of my Raiders, Tyree to DET would probably by my #1 priority. He might turn out to be fine, but he's not close to a real stud. Buying potential.

I think most likely DET slaps a double to center, and take their #1 CB, whoever it is.

One thing they brought up to start the show is for three of the four teams (HOU, DET, SEA) this is a franchise defining draft. You get 4-5 starters from Day 1 & 2 (Detroit has 5 of the first 81) or two impact guys in the 1st, you're gonna make a big leap. Philly has virtually no holes bc Howie has done such a great job of future proofing, they're just layering with the 10th and the 30th.

Conversely, don't be the 2014 Browns. Justin Gilbert (8) and Johnny Manziel (22), in one day they set the franchise back years. They also cited the 2019 Raiders draft. They did save it with the Maxx and Renfrow picks - but those 3 first rounders, oof. The one that worked out (RB) is still a bit of a fail from the view of maxing out your Cap, ideally you should be taking high value positions and taking advantage of the cheaper rookie deals.

The one that worked out (RB) is still a bit of a fail from the view of maxing out your Cap, ideally you should be taking high value positions and taking advantage of the cheaper rookie deals
In hindsight the RB was a good pick. ideally they take a better position, but look at the draft. A bunch of CBs who sucked, a bust of a DT, and Montez Sweat. PFF still wants to give a bad grade for Jacobs, and they are just wrong. They would have preferred Rock Ya-Sin, soon to be on his 3rd team.

One thing they brought up to start the show is for three of the four teams (HOU, DET, SEA) this is a franchise defining draft. You get 4-5 starters from Day 1 & 2 (Detroit has 5 of the first 81) or two impact guys in the 1st, you're gonna make a big leap. Philly has virtually no holes bc Howie has done such a great job of future proofing, they're just layering with the 10th and the 30th.

Conversely, don't be the 2014 Browns. Justin Gilbert (8) and Johnny Manziel (22), in one day they set the franchise back years. They also cited the 2019 Raiders draft. They did save it with the Maxx and Renfrow picks - but those 3 first rounders, oof. The one that worked out (RB) is still a bit of a fail from the view of maxing out your Cap, ideally you should be taking high value positions and taking advantage of the cheaper rookie deals.
Don't forget the 2012 Browns draft: Trent Richardson at 3 and Brandon Weeden at 22. Franchise defining stuff there/

BTW, their more serious answer was Tyree Wilson at 6 and Calijah Kancey at 18.
That would also be my serious answer.
I am not so sure Kancey is there at 18

Will be interesting to see the risers and fallers over the next 4 weeks. Feel like one of the QBs will drop....Levis seems like the most likely. Nolan Smith seems like a good candidate to be a riser.

Weird class bc there are smallish guys near the top of many position groups: Bryce Young, Peter Skoronski, Kancey, Emmanuel Forbes, Zay Flowers, Josh Downs and Tank Dell, Devon Achane and Deuce Vaughn, et al.

Brandon Weeden
Feels like this guy should get brought up more this year, but everyone loves the Hooker.

Not a whole lot in Hooker's film / Tennessee's offense that makes you say "oh yeah that'll translate to Sunday." It's kind of beaten to death but that offense makes it hard to evaluate him or Hyatt.

edit - and he's old af but so are a lot of Covid season alumni

Brandon Weeden
Feels like this guy should get brought up more this year, but everyone loves the Hooker.

Not a whole lot in Hooker's film / Tennessee's offense that makes you say "oh yeah that'll translate to Sunday." It's kind of beaten to death but that offense makes it hard to evaluate him or Hyatt.

edit - and he's old af but so are a lot of Covid season alumni

We can get "Big Joe Milton" next draft!

Levis is 23 as well, right?
Hooker is even a year older than him. I really never found out the deal with Hooker, maybe a Mormon mission I don't know about.

It's not some smoking gun that ARich is gonna be good, but I like to maintain the perspective that when Levis was the same age, he was a backup at Penn State. Now he's strutting around like Jim McMahon over here.

I dunno what Hooker was doing when he was Arich's age, managing a Blockbuster video, maybe? :sneaky:

Levis is 23 as well, right?
Hooker is even a year older than him. I really never found out the deal with Hooker, maybe a Mormon mission I don't know about.

It's not some smoking gun that ARich is gonna be good, but I like to maintain the perspective that when Levis was the same age, he was a backup at Penn State. Now he's strutting around like Jim McMahon over here.

I dunno what Hooker was doing when he was Arich's age, managing a Blockbuster video, maybe? :sneaky:

wasn't he like 20 coming out of h.s.? might have him confused with someone else.

edit - turned 19 January of his senior year, 2 years Va Tech then 3 at TEN

Users who are viewing this thread