What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 FBG Subscriber Contest (1 Viewer)

Looking forward to it even though I never go far!
Right there with you brah!
I’m just looking forward to your 7,392 lineups. It always makes for a riveting follow. Have you considered starting a blog or perhaps a newsletter this year?

:pickle:
I peaked the year before last (*) when I created a linear solver to assist with roster selection. Last year I probably had 30-40 iterations which is 80% off prior years.

Just waiting on that price list, and then the shenanigans will commence! Release the hounds / kraken / flying monkeys.

(*) Edited to correct myself in that it was wayyyyyy back in 2018 when I created a linear solver in excel to optimize starter lineup at a given budget....talk about a fruitless exercise, lol.

Link for posterity: https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/2018-fbg-subscriber-contest.768212/post-21313084

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

2023 Contest is Definitely On. Very similar to last year.

@Contest Turk will have more info soon but shooting for August 10.
Well looks like the week of Aug10th there will be 0% productivity at work that week!

Most of us will be through 273 iterations by the end of that week as well.

And week 2 of roster churn before lock will see the annual support group for those that just can't stop changing the lineup.....

Dacomish: "I'm a fbg subscriber contest compulsive roster changer"

Group: "Hi Dacomish"

Best time of the year!!!!!

Hi Folks,

Well looks like the week of Aug10th there will be 0% productivity at work that week!

And week 2 of roster churn before lock will see the annual support group for those that just can't stop changing the lineup.....

I'll submit one early but then let it sit until the injuries happen. Yeah...time wasters can be fun, but I wouldn't prep for a September 9th draft today. Your time would be better spent reading camp reports and articles and threads on this site. If one of the Detroit or Seattle backs gets hurt, my whole strategy and rooster construction is changing significantly.

I'll submit one early but then let it sit until the injuries happen. Yeah...time wasters can be fun, but I wouldn't prep for a September 9th draft today. Your time would be better spent reading camp reports and articles and threads on this site. If one of the Detroit or Seattle backs gets hurt, my whole strategy and rooster construction is changing significantly.

We dont' have the tech manpower to do it but I've always thought it would be fun to have bonus points for setting an turning in a lineup early. Maybe one day.

We dont' have the tech manpower to do it but I've always thought it would be fun to have bonus points for setting an turning in a lineup early. Maybe one day.
Empirical results from last year suggest you can offer an infinite number of bonus point cash award adders, and the regulars in this thread will do all the monitoring and reporting for you. :D

Salary cap could decrease each week. That might be a quick one to look at for next year.

@Joe Bryant

It is probably too late this year, but have you ever thought about lowering the price on all the players around 10 percent? Maybe I am in the minority on this, but I like to see lots of points. I like it for real football and I like it for my fantasy football.

How do you spend your 25 more dollars? Some would go another stud rb/wr, some would take 4 to 6 more dart throws. I would probably go 2 or 3 more mid tier players.

@Joe Bryant

It is probably too late this year, but have you ever thought about lowering the price on all the players around 10 percent? Maybe I am in the minority on this, but I like to see lots of points. I like it for real football and I like it for my fantasy football.

How do you spend your 25 more dollars? Some would go another stud rb/wr, some would take 4 to 6 more dart throws. I would probably go 2 or 3 more mid tier players.

Thanks. That could be fun too. Maybe something to consider for future years.

I’ve already done 17 iterations and the contest isn’t open yet.
I'll turn this comment made in jest into an actionable question....has anyone ever tried to parameterize the classic vbd app to reproduce the auction values similar to contest values? I have fiddled with this in the past and had no luck producing pricing output in auction mode that looks like contest pricing. I've tried varying from 1 - 99 teams in the league, 1-99 roster positions, and all kinds of foolish settings to "mimic" the contest's auction pricing. Is this doable? Am I missing something obvious?

Soooo.... Random question:

I won a "Subscription" last year which has me listed as a "Free Insider" which seems to allow me into Draft Dominator but lacks any of the league-specific features/projections/scoring.

I get not giving out the premium IDP / DFS subscriptions.... but are FBG Subscriber contest winners supposed to get a neutered base-level subscription if we win?

I only ask as this doesn't even seem to be a real subscription tier option on the website so I'm just curious whats up.

@Joe Bryant

Regarding how the salary cap for all the players is determined for the contest, I’d like to be a fly on the wall and get an idea just what goes into that. I presume it’s based on estimated fantasy points that the contest Turk determines are likely. Then after seeing the cap value for each player, making your roster selections becomes a mind game between you and the contest Turk based on which players you perceive as being good values at their stated cap value.

Soooo.... Random question:

I won a "Subscription" last year which has me listed as a "Free Insider" which seems to allow me into Draft Dominator but lacks any of the league-specific features/projections/scoring.

I get not giving out the premium IDP / DFS subscriptions.... but are FBG Subscriber contest winners supposed to get a neutered base-level subscription if we win?

I only ask as this doesn't even seem to be a real subscription tier option on the website so I'm just curious whats up.

Here are the subscription plans we offer. www.footballguys.com/plans. We don't have any level that is "neutered". Depending on which level you won, you'll have access to different content.
PRO is for season-long redraft for offensive players.
ELITE is the PRO plus content for IDP, Dynasty, Salary Cap plus Best Ball.
Hall of Fame is PRO & ELITE plus DFS.

You can forward the email you received about the subscription over to gray@footballguys.com and he can make sure you're set.

Reward subscribers who set it and forget it Aug 10th crushes my FF soul.
Award bonus points for most original lineups submitted before kickoff. Tis the preseason of obsessing on FBG in August :towelwave:

Side note... why don't we have a Black Eyed Joe emoji? :penalty:

Being away on vacation until the end of the month will save me a few weeks worth of time wasted joyfully spent on roster iterations.

Hi Folks,

Hey Bass,

It is the first week of training camp and both Seattle backs are already hurt. I guess you will need to employ a new strategy now.

Glad to see most of the gang from last year is here, hanging out and waiting for the contest to go live.
This is going to be a crazy place after that happens!

Super Platinum Double Premium members like myself already have access to this contest. Sorry fellas.
Super Platinum Triple Premium members like myself are already working on their week 2 rooster. Sorry fellas
Too bad, it must be rough trying to predict who is going to be injured. We Extra Super Platinum Quadruple members get to wait until Week 2 to change our lineups.

Super Platinum Double Premium members like myself already have access to this contest. Sorry fellas.
Super Platinum Triple Premium members like myself are already working on their week 2 rooster. Sorry fellas
Too bad, it must be rough trying to predict who is going to be injured. We Extra Super Platinum Quadruple members get to wait until Week 2 to change our lineups.
Oh we get to. Just don't need to. That's what separates the sharks from the guppies

Oh we get to. Just don't need to. That's what separates the sharks from the guppies
I saw a shark choke on a guppy once. Then an Orca came by and ate them both.:shark:

Users who are viewing this thread