What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Las Vegas Raiders - RIP Jack - one of the greatest Super Bowl moments ever (2 Viewers)

The road the AFC West division runs thru the Chiefs and, possibly, the Bolts for the next decade. From my perspective, following the 9er road is the quickest pathway to competing in the division. That means a focus on the front seven on defense with an emphasis on prototypical size and speed. DLinemen are 300 Lbs, generally, over 6-2, and can run. LBs are at least 6-2 and 230 Lbs (granted there are a couple of exceptions on the 9er roster).

signed Duke Shelley CB
Another young guy who may have best ball in front of him. Comes with a little hype video. Comments are positive.

He's 5'8, he and Amik might be competing for a spot.

Shelley ended up finishing as PFF’s third-best cornerback in coverage last season and played admirably well. The Bears were playing Shelley on the inside as a slot cornerback, but it wasn’t his best position. A transition back to the outside has made a major difference for Shelley and it showed up in a big way last season.

Shelley heads to a Raiders team where he will likley get an opportunity to both play a lot along with potentially starting.
He was primarily a nickel prior to this year, likely because he's 5'8".

signed Duke Shelley CB
Another young guy who may have best ball in front of him. Comes with a little hype video. Comments are positive.

He's 5'8, he and Amik might be competing for a spot.

Shelley ended up finishing as PFF’s third-best cornerback in coverage last season and played admirably well. The Bears were playing Shelley on the inside as a slot cornerback, but it wasn’t his best position. A transition back to the outside has made a major difference for Shelley and it showed up in a big way last season.

Shelley heads to a Raiders team where he will likley get an opportunity to both play a lot along with potentially starting.
He was primarily a nickel prior to this year, likely because he's 5'8".
The "Nickel CB" is usually the slot guy which being smaller is usually a better matchup for the slot WR's. Though oddly enough, Amik seemed to really struggle in the slot but then on more than one occasion was just out bodied with the taller/bigger outside guys.

The road the AFC West division runs thru the Chiefs and, possibly, the Bolts for the next decade. From my perspective, following the 9er road is the quickest pathway to competing in the division. That means a focus on the front seven on defense with an emphasis on prototypical size and speed. DLinemen are 300 Lbs, generally, over 6-2, and can run. LBs are at least 6-2 and 230 Lbs (granted there are a couple of exceptions on the 9er roster).
For KC, I don't think you need the big hulking run stopping DT's in the middle. Whether they are bigger or smaller, they need to be able to break the pocket down. Either push their guy in or defeat the block and get in there. That will help Maxx a ton. The pass pro attention to the inside to deal with that means less attention. It also means the normal way to block Maxx is less effective (have a tackle grab his neck and hold on while a back or TE chips him). Big or small.... we need some guys that can pressure up the middle. If someone that doesn't do that is not available at DT then I will take an edge guy who can rush. Chandler Jones needs to be put in rotation. I have hope that he can still contribute when his snap counts are reduced. Get a young kid that is hungry to take the bulk of carries and then throw Jones in to assist.

For KC, I don't think you need the big hulking run stopping DT's in the middle. Whether they are bigger or smaller, they need to be able to break the pocket down. Either push their guy in or defeat the block and get in there. That will help Maxx a ton. The pass pro attention to the inside to deal with that means less attention. It also means the normal way to block Maxx is less effective (have a tackle grab his neck and hold on while a back or TE chips him). Big or small.... we need some guys that can pressure up the middle
💯 💯 💯 💯 💯

Whatever the concerns the Jalen Carter is worth taking that shot on for that very reason.

I would be okay with them trading up a few spots to get him, or Anderson, although Anderson is probably too small for Graham's system (and 20 years too young).

Whatever the concerns the Jalen Carter is worth taking that shot on for that very reason
You can find bad defenses with good safeties, CB, LB.

You see a defense with good DTs, that's a good defense.
It's similar to a franchise QB, if you have an opportunity at one, particularly a generational one (Carr is a great example of a non-generational one. Still a franchise guy but...) you take your shot and accept the consequences.

Draft wishlist: QB, 3Tech, Edge, CB, TE, MLB, OL, in order of need

1.7 Best available 3T/Edge/CB
2.7 QB - Dorian Thompson Robinson

DTR is the most underrated QB in this draft. I see a bigger version of Bryce Young when I rewatch his highlights. His athleticism/arm combo is second only in this draft to super freak Anthony Richardson. There is so much to like about DTR as a modern NFL QB prospect. Then DEF/OL/TE rest of draft.

Devon Witherspoon 181lbs
DJ Turner 178lbs
Emmanuel Forbes 166lbs

1st Round CBs under 181lbs since 2000
🔸Jamar Fletcher 2001
🔸Kelly Jennings 2006

Since 2007, only 2 CBs under 181lbs has been taken in Rounds 1 or 2
🔸Donte Jackson
Senquez Golston

I’m so jaded by raider db picks over the last 20+ years. Just no. Please? I can’t take it.
I don't really think Witherspoon vs Gonzales will be a debate, you take the guy over 200 pounds, especially top 10.

And that guy might go in front of us. Consensus:

NamePositionSchoolNumber of MocksExpected Draft Position (EDP)EDP RankPosition Rank
1C.J. StroudQBOhio State1,3620.91QB1
2Bryce YoungQBAlabama1,3621.72QB2
3Will AndersonEDGEAlabama1,36143EDGE1
4Anthony RichardsonQBFlorida1,0894.24QB3
5Will LevisQBKentucky1,3205.95QB4
6Tyree WilsonEDGETexas Tech1,1126.76EDGE2
7Christian GonzalezCBOregon1,0677.47CB1
8Jalen CarterDTGeorgia1,3598.78DT1
9Peter SkoronskiOTNorthwestern1,31211.49OT1
10Paris JohnsonOTOhio State1,33811.610OT2

The best player at the hardest position to fill falling to the Raiders is the kind of draft luck we are about ****ing due for, if you ask me.
Do you mean both the CB and DT positions, cuz I agree. Take either Carter (workout/drag racing concerns and all) or Gonzalez. I truly hope that all 4 QBs go above our 7 pick.

Take either Carter (workout/drag racing concerns and all) or Gonzalez

Or trade down if you don't like either for whatever reason. Don't settle in Rd 1. There are always gems with good character later that fall - e.g. perhaps Kancey in the teens this year. Aaron Donald and both Watts went outside the top ten.

Devon Witherspoon 181lbs
DJ Turner 178lbs
Emmanuel Forbes 166lbs

1st Round CBs under 181lbs since 2000
🔸Jamar Fletcher 2001
🔸Kelly Jennings 2006

Since 2007, only 2 CBs under 181lbs has been taken in Rounds 1 or 2
🔸Donte Jackson
Senquez Golston
Forbes looks like a stick figure running around out there. Everyone talks about Bryce Young not being able to hold up to the punishment. I don’t know how the heck that guy can survive tackling a RB like Jacobs or Henry.

DT John Jenkins signed
And Jordan Willis. I'm hoping he makes it

ANTA CLARA, Calif. — Has Jordan Willis bulked up?

The 49ers defensive end definitely seems bigger this season, but that might be an optical illusion. After all, he’s been wearing new digits, No. 75, across his back and chest in 2022.

Willis calls it an offensive lineman’s number — he wore 75 at Kansas State and with his first NFL team, the Bengals — and agrees the number combination tends to broaden the person wearing it more so than the No. 94 he wore last season.
But it’s also true that he’s added mass. Last year, he was in the mid-260-pound range. When he stepped on the scale Wednesday morning, he weighed 275 pounds.

“I’m 27 now,” he said in front of his locker this week. “I think my body’s just matured to where it can handle that weight.”

And he’s been throwing that weight around well over the last two months, perhaps the best stretch of his career. Willis was one of the defensive standouts last week against the Commanders, a game in which the 49ers were short on defensive ends. He finished with two tackles, three quarterback pressures and a fumble recovery. At the end of the first quarter, he had a tackle for a 4-yard loss, a sack of quarterback Taylor Heinicke — it was wiped out by a defensive holding penalty — and a tackle for no gain, all in a span of six snaps.

It was reminiscent of his Week 10 outing against the Chargers — the 49ers were also thin on defensive ends that day because Samson Ebukam missed that game — in which he had four tackles, a sack and two quarterback hits.

“He’s not just a rotational guy, just there to eat reps,” defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans said. “He steps in and he affects the game, he makes plays for us, game-changing plays.”
he 49ers acquired Willis in 2020 in a modest trade. The Jets sent him and a seventh-round pick to San Francisco in exchange for a sixth-rounder. Now it seems like he might join the list of defensive linemen who’ve arrived with little fanfare, thrived in position coach Kris Kocurek’s system and whom the 49ers then parlayed into compensatory picks when they hit free agency.

For example, they got an extra sixth-round pick for Kerry Hyder Jr. in 2022 and could get an extra sixth-rounder in April for Arden Key, whom the Jaguars added in the most recent free-agent cycle.
Or should Willis be more than comp-pick calculus?

The 49ers obviously are set at one of their defensive end spots. Bosa is closing in on both the franchise record for sacks in a season as well as the award for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

The other defensive end spot is murky.

The team’s current starter, Ebukam, is scheduled to become a free agent. So are Willis, Charles Omenihu, Hyder and practice squadder Kemoko Turay. Second-round pick Drake Jackson certainly is a candidate. But he was a healthy scratch last week, an indication he needs to take a big leap between his first and second years before the 49ers see him in a starting role.

Willis, meanwhile, appears to have turned a corner in his career.

He was known as an athletic freak when he was at Kansas State, where he had 11 1/2 sacks as a senior, and the Bengals took him in the third round in 2017. But Cincinnati didn’t take advantage of his elite speed and quickness. Instead, they bulked him up to 280 pounds and asked him to be a run stuffer. He was cut two years later and picked up by the Jets, who hardly used him at all. That’s why they traded him to San Francisco where Kocurek was intrigued by his burst off the line of scrimmage.
Willis got off to a staggered start here, too. He was suspended for the first six games of the 2021 season after violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. He spent the first half of this season on injured reserve after having a clean-up procedure on his knee.

That surgery, however, has been part of his ascent. He said it was an issue that dated back to his final season at Kansas State and that he feels as fast as ever. The fact that he’s part of the 49ers’ kickoff coverage team — he’s the biggest player on that unit and came away with a half tackle against the Commanders — underscores that.

“I had played literally six years with that injury,” he said. “(The surgery) definitely benefited me coming back because I’m playing faster than I’ve ever played. I’m more confident in my body and I just feel good.”

I'm starting to come around on the signings. Little by little, all them come with upside and none (outside of Jimmy G) come with high costs. I'm encouraged to watch how the CBs come together, and the WR grouping under Adams.

I'm starting to come around on the signings. Little by little, all them come with upside and none (outside of Jimmy G) come with high costs. I'm encouraged to watch how the CBs come together, and the WR grouping under Adams.

Raiders have signed:

6 offensive players
8 offensive players
1 long snapper

Which is weird, because 6 days ago I think it was 0 defensive players and 47 wide receivers.

Raiders have signed:

6 offensive players
8 offensive players
1 long snapper

Which is weird, because 6 days ago I think it was 0 defensive players and 47 wide receivers.
Uhhh

The Las Vegas Raiders have signed unrestricted free agent DT John Jenkins, the club announced Friday.
Jenkins enters his 11th season in the NFL and joins the Raiders after playing the past two seasons for the Miami Dolphins. Originally a third-round draft pick (82nd overall) by the New Orleans Saints of the 2013 NFL Draft, Jenkins has played in 116 career games with 30 starts for the Saints (2013-16), Seattle Seahawks (2016), Chicago Bears (2017, 2020) and New York Giants (2018), totaling 212 tackles (112 solo), 2.5 sacks, four passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. He has also played in five postseason games and recorded eight tackles, one sack and one fumble recovery.

The best player at the hardest position to fill falling to the Raiders is the kind of draft luck we are about ****ing due for, if you ask me.
Do you mean both the CB and DT positions, cuz I agree. Take either Carter (workout/drag racing concerns and all) or Gonzalez. I truly hope that all 4 QBs go above our 7 pick.
I'm thinking all the QB talk is a smokescreen and only Stroud & Young go in the top 10.

Raiders have signed:

6 offensive players
8 offensive players
1 long snapper

That is a lot of offense players

The Las Vegas Raiders have signed unrestricted free agent DT John Jenkins, the club announced Friday.
Jenkins enters his 11th season in the NFL and joins the Raiders after playing the past two seasons for the Miami Dolphins. Originally a third-round draft pick (82nd overall) by the New Orleans Saints of the 2013 NFL Draft, Jenkins has played in 116 career games with 30 starts for the Saints (2013-16), Seattle Seahawks (2016), Chicago Bears (2017, 2020) and New York Giants (2018), totaling 212 tackles (112 solo), 2.5 sacks, four passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. He has also played in five postseason games and recorded eight tackles, one sack and one fumble recovery.
Queue @Chaka ’s player age in Graham’s system schtick…

I didn't think anyone noticed.

Chandler Jones over Haason Reddick (or allowing Yannick to leave) drove me crazy.

If you can't figure out how to employ those guys into your scheme...you suck as a football coach.

Seriously wasn't Graham's M.O. all about creativity and coming at offenses in all kinds of different directions?

Last edited:

Chandler Jones over Haason Reddick (or allowing Yannick to leave) drove me crazy.

If you can't figure out how to employ those guys into your scheme...you suck as a football coach.

Seriously wasn't Graham's M.O. all about creativity and coming at offenses I'm all kinds of different directions?
I noticed ;)

I don’t think I ever was as excited about a D coordinator hire as Graham. Everything I read and heard was so positive and refreshing. Then…thud.

Seriously wasn't Graham's M.O. all about creativity and coming at offenses I'm all kinds of different directions?
I noticed ;)

I don’t think I ever was as excited about a D coordinator hire as Graham. Everything I read and heard was so positive and refreshing. Then…thud.
I blame @Chadstroma , with the caveat that you aren't allowed look at my posts from immediately after the Graham hire.

I noticed ;)

I blame @Chadstroma , with the caveat that you aren't allowed look at my posts from immediately after the Graham hire.
I get blamed for everything...

Being a Carr lover...

Comments people take pointed at them when it wasn't pointed at anyone...

@DA RAIDERS AARUWISNEBAHS ending of his posts...

Losing the last 20 years...

Old man FA signings...

I am use to it.

The Score's Jordan Schultz reports free agent WR DeAndre Carter is visiting with the Raiders.​

His special teams prowess aside, Carter has turned into a capable in recent years. He posted career-high receiving totals last season with the Chargers (46-538-3), joining the team on a one-year contract after previously playing in Washington. Since entering the league in 2015 as an undrafted rookie free agent, Carter has bounced around between nine different teams, including the Raiders. He spent the majority of his rookie season on the Raiders' practice squad but could return in a more meaningful role if the two sides agree to a deal this offseason.

The Score's Jordan Schultz reports free agent WR DeAndre Carter is visiting with the Raiders.​

His special teams prowess aside, Carter has turned into a capable in recent years. He posted career-high receiving totals last season with the Chargers (46-538-3), joining the team on a one-year contract after previously playing in Washington. Since entering the league in 2015 as an undrafted rookie free agent, Carter has bounced around between nine different teams, including the Raiders. He spent the majority of his rookie season on the Raiders' practice squad but could return in a more meaningful role if the two sides agree to a deal this offseason.
Carter's pretty good and I still think Washington was stupid to let him go.

I noticed ;)

I get blamed for everything...

Being a Carr lover...

Comments people take pointed at them when it wasn't pointed at anyone...

@DA RAIDERS AARUWISNEBAHS ending of his posts...

Losing the last 20 years...

Old man FA signings...

I am use to it.
it’s totally your fault. ALL OF IT.

AAWTFDIK…..CHAD

DTR is the most underrated QB in this draft. I see a bigger version of Bryce Young when I rewatch his highlights. His athleticism/arm combo is second only in this draft to super freak Anthony Richardson. There is so much to like about DTR as a modern NFL QB prospect. Then DEF/OL/TE rest of draft.
I'm a fan of DTR but if we take QB at 38 it needs to be Hendon Hooker. Dude was gonna win the Heisman until he got hurt and if he does that he's a top 15 pick. I wouldn't hate trading up from 38 into round 1 to get him either, we get year 5 that way. Anything before the 4th is too early for DTR*.

However, there are a bunch of day 3 guys that have me intrigued. Back in January I started (then bailed) a post entitled "Why not Stetson Bennett" because all the dude does is get it done. He's too old, he's too slow, he's too short, he's too white. But he wins. And he wins pretty, dropping dimes against SEC and OSU and any other big time school that gets in his way. People use the lazy comp of Drew Brees, I prefer Flutie, but it's kind of the same thing. And I say "why not?". By all accounts he's a 5th/6th round pick although we all know by now mocks are idiots so if we took this guy anywhere on day 3 I'd be pretty stoked.

DTR is the 2nd guy in this category for me. He was ripped at the combine and looked really good throwing to a bunch of guys he's never practiced with before. Ball came out quick and was on the spot - sometimes a tad early or late, but that's more about getting used to the WR's action than his timing. Jaren Hall and there's a kid from D2 Shepherd that set all the records there and didn't look too overwhelmed at the Senior Bowl. Developmental guy for sure, but we got a bridge QB in place so what the hell.

*I said the same damn thing a few years ago about Jalen Hurts - wanted Gruden to draft him to see what he could turn him into "but not until the 3rd". Ha. My #1 rule of drafting, fantasy or NFL, is "Just be right". If you're right it doesn't matter where you draft him. So if we take DTR anywhere I'll be patient and see how it goes, but man I'd be happier to see a later dice roll on guys like this.

I'm a fan of DTR but if we take QB at 38 it needs to be Hendon Hooker. Dude was gonna win the Heisman until he got hurt and if he does that he's a top 15 pick. I wouldn't hate trading up from 38 into round 1 to get him either, we get year 5 that way. Anything before the 4th is too early for DTR*.

However, there are a bunch of day 3 guys that have me intrigued. Back in January I started (then bailed) a post entitled "Why not Stetson Bennett" because all the dude does is get it done. He's too old, he's too slow, he's too short, he's too white. But he wins. And he wins pretty, dropping dimes against SEC and OSU and any other big time school that gets in his way. People use the lazy comp of Drew Brees, I prefer Flutie, but it's kind of the same thing. And I say "why not?". By all accounts he's a 5th/6th round pick although we all know by now mocks are idiots so if we took this guy anywhere on day 3 I'd be pretty stoked.

DTR is the 2nd guy in this category for me. He was ripped at the combine and looked really good throwing to a bunch of guys he's never practiced with before. Ball came out quick and was on the spot - sometimes a tad early or late, but that's more about getting used to the WR's action than his timing. Jaren Hall and there's a kid from D2 Shepherd that set all the records there and didn't look too overwhelmed at the Senior Bowl. Developmental guy for sure, but we got a bridge QB in place so what the hell.

*I said the same damn thing a few years ago about Jalen Hurts - wanted Gruden to draft him to see what he could turn him into "but not until the 3rd". Ha. My #1 rule of drafting, fantasy or NFL, is "Just be right". If you're right it doesn't matter where you draft him. So if we take DTR anywhere I'll be patient and see how it goes, but man I'd be happier to see a later dice roll on guys like this.

I'd love to get him later, but like Hurts, I suspect DTR will surprise the heads and go in round 2. And like Hurts, I suspect he will ultimately be considered a steal wherever he goes.

I wouldn't mind Hooker, but I would rather have DTR. If neither fall into place, I am also intrigued by Bennett and Jake Haener. I wouldn't mind seeing them draft two QBs even, as long as both are taken after rd 1.

total snaps played in last 5 years by players a team drafted themselves

top-10:

91,901 - DAL
85,496 - MIN
83,677 - BAL
82,628 - TB
82,442 - ATL
81,815 - CIN
79,791 - PIT
78,925 - GB
78,144 - SEA
74,643 - IND

bottom-10:

61,726 - JAX
61,437 - ARI
61,164 - TEN
59,939 - LAC
58,783 - BUF
57,942 - HOU
57,067 - NYG
54,349 - LAR
47,244 - NYJ
11,904 - LV

Gruyock was a pus-filled boil on the @$$ of this franchise.

Last edited:
total snaps played in last 5 years by players a team drafted themselves

top-10:

91,901 - DAL
85,496 - MIN
83,677 - BAL
82,628 - TB
82,442 - ATL
81,815 - CIN
79,791 - PIT
78,925 - GB
78,144 - SEA