What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Miami Dolphins: Chop, Chop !! (7 Viewers)

I said in an in game thread many weeks ago that this team would go as far as injuries and the defense would let them. At one point against NE they were without their projected starting secondary Xavien Howard, Byron Jones, Jevon Holland, Brandon Jones, and Nik Needham and before the game had to google who the starting LT was... it's been brutal these last 5 weeks with a rookie head coach learning on the job.

I want them to beat the jets, because I always want them to beat the jets. I still want them to make the playoffs to end the drought.
I'll think about about the season as a whole when the season ends...

Agreed. Bottom line I have no issue with them getting someone like Brady if he wants to play here, as long as Sean Payton is not part of that.

Teams have injuries and need to play through them, but the decimation of a defensive backfield is hard to overcome. I'd rather it be 3rd and 3 than 3rd and 10 bc our line can stop the former but our secondary cannot stop the latter. I understand retaining Boyer after what the D did last year. Now, not so much. I have no particular beef even with Grier (sorry MOP) as he is likely a "good soldier" in all this where Ross is just another NYC real estate guy who thinks he is smarter than he actually is. McDaniel needs to learn situational coaching. So did Staley in LA. So does everyone not named Tomlin, Bellicheck, or Harbaugh.

Arguably I'm not sure which is more important to this team: Tua or Armstead.
I can answer that question

TUA and I'll explain why
-We have a 1.05 pick sunk into him and pretty much built the team around him.
-Armstead is just sunken money that would be in the pockets of other players or positions

Armstead was a steady solid force at Left Tackle, think he was ranked 10th overall 64 starting Tackles, probably Top 5-6 at the LT spot

Mahomes, Hurts, Burrow, Prescott and Allen...hear me out

-Tua ranked 6th according to this link written on Dec 7th, a month ago

I know many would slide Herbert ahead of him and possibly a couple others but Tua is rated as a Top 6-10 QB in the NFL, when is the last time Miami could say that?
I'm not going to dive into concussions on this post, sometimes you have to take a step back and be honest about things. QBs don't grow on trees, I still think we might be searching for our long term solution but at some point in the '22 season, Tua had NFL critics that get paid to write, he had them all believing

Armstead can be replaced one way or the other, if Tua retired tomorrow we would all be miserable and crying/upset
That's just my opinion, again I appreciate you not staying silent until the off season but I also can appreciate why you and @TripleThreat want to let it play out.

What if Buffalo wins and Miami wins???
Suddenly we're in the Playoffs
And we were always going to open up on the road in the WIldcard, 10-7, 11-6, even 12-5 doesn't seem like it would win the AFC East so we would enter at 9-8, not much difference.

Don't assume I don't look at things Dolphins related like you do. You take me back in time to when I would sit at the table with the Avalon-Hill Pro Football game in front of me and a notepad to write down the stats as they unfolded in the game, I have the Phins '83-Marino rookie and '84-Marino/Montana SB, used to pour hours into that when I was 11-12 yrs old, everyone else was playing Super Mario Bros, I want this team to win so bad it drives me nuts.

Don't apologize because you feel Grier is a good soldier and carrying out marching orders, that's fine. But the track record of his picks is hard to swallow and speaks for itself. He also traded for Chubb and launched our other 1st Rd pick buh-bye, that's just how I feel.

Passing the mic back over to you now
🙂

Team is already set in stone for '23 going into Spring '24, no draft capital left, no cap space, this 8-8 team is what it is and unless some big pieces are sent packing out of here, nothing is going to be different next year.

I like McDaniel, and am in favor of keeping him on in case he really is the next Sean McVay and could be our rock for a long time. But for this one part in particular, and I'm sure what is tempting for management/ownership, is that this "set in stone" Dolphins team is probably a good bit more talented than most of the Saints teams that Sean Payton turned into a perennial contender. You say here, this is the team, Tua, Tyreek, Waddle, and a bunch of playmakers on defense and give that to Sean Payton. It could be instant serious Super Bowl contender.

Not saying it's the right move. But it is what it is.

Really good question. I think that of the QBs we have only Tua can produce at a high level behind an OL without Armstead. Armstead seems to settle the entire line when he's in.

Pre McD when Joe came in here asking about if people really wanted to get rid of Flores, my answer was akin to I want whoever was going to fix the line... fortunately this staff has done more with the pieces than the last.

Joe Thomas is likely going to be voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, a very special place and not very many Offensive Tackles get voted in 1st Ballot.
6x All Pro, 10 Pro Bowls,
Cleveland was 4-12 almost every year he was their anchor at Left Tackle
10-6 his rookie year under Romeo Crennel
1-31 his last 2 seasons as the Cleveland Left Tackle, he could have kept playing but called it quits after 10 seasons, maybe it was 11

My point is you can have 1 of the greatest Left Tackles of ALL Time and you still won't win any games because you suck at Quarterback, that's been Cleveland's problem.
But it would be nice if Miami had a great OL, as it stands now they are pretty darn good at LT-C-RG and even Robert Jones has done a good job filling in at LG, he is a free agent after this season.

Side note: until the 12th the discord server I rely on for a ton of Dolphins info is free, after that it goes to 3$ a month. I've shared some of their twitter threads here. CK, Si and Alf. draftniks that used to contribute to a local paper IIRC. Si had a fun interaction with Mando who he caught plagiarizing him.
I don't interact with very much with the other patrons but enjoy it... Bonus someone always streams the game in a muted environment.

Tua is not playing again this season IMO.

The silence on him has been deafening.

If we get into the post season….I really
hope they ride Skylar. I can’t stomach watching Teddy play….really…he stinks and he won’t be back.

Again I highly doubt we see Tua play again this season.

hope they ride Skylar. I can’t stomach watching Teddy play….really…he stinks and he won’t be back.

IMO, Tua was shut down because a 4th concussion in a year might shut him down forever. Tua is still our best option in 2023. I hope Skylar does well on Sunday.

REPORT: Dolphins could fire Mike Mcdaniel if they lose to the Jets and miss playoffs

REPORT: Dolphins could fire Mike Mcdaniel if they lose to the Jets and miss playoffs

Nothing would surprise me.

IMO, Tua was shut down because a 4th concussion in a year might shut him down forever. Tua is still our best option in 2023. I hope Skylar does well on Sunday.
He is if McDaniel is still here after reading that report.

Ross maybe posturing for a Sean Payton/Tom Brady run for 2023.

Could you imagine?

:unsure:

Did I hear that there might be an 8th slot now for the Playoffs?
Is that legit or horse ****?

-I'm speechless on the 1 and done McDaniel media leakage. Where in hells bells is this leak coming from within the organization?
-If not from within, then is it just some social media buzz that's gotten too much air? I'm befuddled after they allowed Flores 3 full seasons.

Fire Coach MM after 1 season?

I think people are putting way too much stock in the Miami Dolphins front office, let's not forget we lost quite a lot of brainpower when our Senior Vice President-John Jenkins passed away as the season was about to begin and the owner was SUSPENDED 8 GAMES leaving a major leadership vacuum. When McDaniel was free to roam we did pretty well, since Ross has checked back in we kinda stink and now leaks are coming out everywhere, does anyone remember what Ross was suspended for? Tampering and TOM BRADY! And now after forfeiting/punishment and loss of our 1st and 3rd round picks, (hold on, I gotta sit down) they're gonna sign this dinosaur that can't win any more with a pretty stacked Bucs team that has good receivers and they can barely beat the Falcons and Panthers, you all want that down here after 20+ years of misery by this man?

Color me shocked pink please

Last edited:
Some good stuff from Barry Jackson. Looks like DC Boyer and ST coach Crossman will be goners. No surprise. Sam Madison may get some credit for developing Kodou ... I think he could stay with the new DC. Hunter Long looks like a bust - it may have been a Flores choice from BC and Senior Bowl.

>>Beleaguered defensive coordinator Josh Boyer, whose unit has given up the sixth-most points in the league, indicated he’s at peace with whatever his future holds. “Whatever comes my way, I’ll be OK,” Boyer said. “I’m very fortunate. My parents broke a cycle of poverty in the family. I have beautiful wife who’s fiercely loyal, a sweet little girl. I even like my in-laws. I get to come to work every day with guys highly motivated that want to win.... I feel like the luckiest man on earth.”

But Boyer stands very much at risk of being dismissed. When asked the area that he thought his defense would be better than it has been all season, he mentions third down defense.

The Dolphins are permitting 41.5 percent of third downs to be converted into first downs, which is 24th (ninth-worst) in the league. Boyer said he takes responsibility for the communication and coverage breakdowns that led to Jakobi Meyers’ game-sealing one yard TD reception against the Patriots last Sunday. “There was definitely a miscommunication,” Boyer said. “That starts with me. At the end of the day it’s my responsibility.” ...

Dolphins cornerbacks coach Sam Madison opted not to have a heart-to-heart meeting with Byron Jones or ask him if he could give the team anything this season. Jones had leg surgery in March; he was supposed to be ready for the start of training camp but hasn’t practiced or played all year for reasons he has declined to explain.

He could have... helped,” Madison said. “Injuries come up. Some people fight through them. Some people don’t.” Madison raved about rookie Kader Kohou, calling him a “diamond in the rough.”
▪ Tight ends coach Jon Embree was candid in his assessment of second-year tight end Hunter Long, who has played 82 offensive snaps.

It’s been quite a journey with Hunter; we’ve had interesting times,” Embree said. “Football is important to him; there were times I wondered about that.” Why did Embree wonder about that? “Sometimes I wondered about preparation, how hard he prepared. He can be a pass catcher as well as run blocker. That’s important if you want to be a contributor. “With him, it’s about staying healthy. He had an ankle sprain and concussion. It’s not something I’m down on him for. I’m looking forward to working with him this offseason to see if Hunter can become a complete player.”

With Mike Gesicki likely to move on, does Embree believe Long and rookie Tanner Conner are ready for more prominent roles? “They’ll have to be unless you know anyone coming through the door,” Embree said. “That’s [a] Chris Grier” decision. Embree, incidentally, said Gesicki could have been a “cancer” but wasn’t.

This is pretty reflective of how injuries have torched the Dolphins secondary: Keion Crossen played 59 defensive snaps on Sunday -- far more than the 23 he played all season for the Giants last season.<<

:unsure:

Did I hear that there might be an 8th slot now for the Playoffs?
Is that legit or horse ****?

-I'm speechless on the 1 and done McDaniel media leakage. Where in hells bells is this leak coming from within the organization?
-If not from within, then is it just some social media buzz that's gotten too much air? I'm befuddled after they allowed Flores 3 full seasons.

Fire Coach MM after 1 season?

I think people are putting way too much stock in the Miami Dolphins front office, let's not forget we lost quite a lot of brainpower when our Senior Vice President-John Jenkins passed away as the season was about to begin and the owner was SUSPENDED 8 GAMES leaving a major leadership vacuum. When McDaniel was free to roam we did pretty well, since Ross has checked back in we kinda stink and now leaks are coming out everywhere, does anyone remember what Ross was suspended for? Tampering and TOM BRADY! And now after forfeiting/punishment and loss of our 1st and 3rd round picks, (hold on, I gotta sit down) they're gonna sign this dinosaur that can't win any more with a pretty stacked Bucs team that has good receivers and they can barely beat the Falcons and Panthers, you all want that down here after 20+ years of misery by this man?

Color me shocked pink please
Have you seen that dumpster fire of an OL Tampa has had all season? Dude…..

Last edited:

utter nonsense.

Looks like DC Boyer and ST coach Crossman will be goners
They've been floating DC thoughts and options for weeks on that discord and while injuries have played a crucial part...special teams has been ridiculously bad this year, maybe even historically bad for the franchise.
Will Miami use Tyreek or Waddle on returns this week, especially on punts? Cedric Wilson has been reliable, but not explosive at all. The coverage teams have been bad. See below from Barry Jackson.

>>The coverage teams have been deplorable. They allowed a 93-yard return against Green Bay, and opponents are averaging 28.1 on kickoffs, which is worst in the league from a coverage standpoint. Miami is allowing 10.5 yards on average on punts, which is 25th in the league (eighth worst from a Dolphins perspective).<<

I forgot to add that Phillips blocked a punt and they stopped GB on a fake punt. So, not all bad.

utter nonsense.
it would be a blow to the franchise, you start churning coaches every 1-2 years, you can see how that plays out around the NFL, typically you are picking Top 5-10 in the draft if you do that

utter nonsense.
it would be a blow to the franchise, you start churning coaches every 1-2 years, you can see how that plays out around the NFL, typically you are picking Top 5-10 in the draft if you do that

Armando doesn't have any credibility left with me, does he with you?

utter nonsense.

Zero!!!

utter nonsense.

Absolutely one of the worst, I almost threw up into the radio when I first him brought on local radio when I moved back from SoCal in '07-'08, I could not stand this guy and felt indirectly he was contributing to the Miami Dolphins demise because he always was protecting the front office when I was younger...even Armando is pretty jaded when it comes to the Phins at this point. But he used to defend Wanny/Sporano and Parcells, would drive me nuts.

utter nonsense.

Absolutely one of the worst, I almost threw up into the radio when I first him brought on local radio when I moved back from SoCal in '07-'08, I could not stand this guy and felt indirectly he was contributing to the Miami Dolphins demise because he always was protecting the front office when I was younger...even Armando is pretty jaded when it comes to the Phins at this point. But he used to defend Wanny/Sporano and Parcells, would drive me nuts.
didn't think so but that's who the article cites... he's on my list of people... "I don't care so what you say so I won't click your link"

Barry Jackson and Joe Schad are in agreement about Tua in 2023.

>>I'm expecting Dolphins and Tua will agree for him to wear a more protective helmet and he will move forward as 2023 starter. There's clearly no better realistic multiyear alternative and nobody moves on from a QB who has this type of production<<

>>There’s a good chance Tua Tagovailoa will end 2022 season ranked #1 in the NFL in passer rating, #1 in red zone passer rating and #1 in third down passer rating. Tua has the highest career passer rating in Dolphins history. If healthy he clearly should be Miami’s ‘23 starter.<<

Well we are in!!! Now we wait to see who will be our QB.

Tua? Teddy? Thompson?
Skylar
The Jets have held Geno Smith, Cousins, and Allen to less than 200 yards passing. Skylar is being underrated.
Ok…..let’s take the glasses off a little. I like Skylar….he is not ready to go into Buffalo and lead the team to a huge upset.

He does some good things. But his progression process time is not there yet. That was fairly obvious to me. Yes the Jets defense is a top 10 unit.

But I am not going to get my hopes up.

Will I jump for joy if he comes out and kills it? Absolutely.

The few things he did really well yesterday was:

Did not turn the ball over
Made a couple of big throws

But I am not very confident he is “ready” for what awaits this weekend in Buffalo.

Tua? Teddy? Thompson?
Skylar
The Jets have held Geno Smith, Cousins, and Allen to less than 200 yards passing. Skylar is being underrated.
Ok…..let’s take the glasses off a little. I like Skylar….he is not ready to go into Buffalo and lead the team to a huge upset.

He does some good things. But his progression process time is not there yet. That was fairly obvious to me. Yes the Jets defense is a top 10 unit.

But I am not very confident he is “ready” for what awaits this weekend in Buffalo.
I don't believe they will allow Tua to take the field
I know fans want to see Tua competing this week and worry about next year in the off season but that might be reckless
Tua understands the dangers of another concussion and he is more likely to get another one which is not good
You have not heard Miami make any statements like they are shutting him down for the season

Tua? Teddy? Thompson?
Skylar

I don't believe they will allow Tua to take the field
I know fans want to see Tua competing this week and worry about next year in the off season but that might be reckless
Tua understands the dangers of another concussion and he is more likely to get another one which is not good
You have not heard Miami make any statements like they are shutting him down for the season
Yeah I don’t disagree. But we know how the NFL works….and if he gets medical clearance he is playing.

Odds of that? 25% IMO but I am just speculating on nothing but my opinion of this league.

And we were always going to open up on the road in the WIldcard, 10-7, 11-6, even 12-5 doesn't seem like it would win the AFC East so we would enter at 9-8, not much difference.

AS I said when we played them in SEPT: THE FIRST TWO GAMES VS THE BILLS DON'T MATTER. ONLY THE THIRD ONE WILL!!!!!!!!!
I feel like we had similar POV on this upcoming weekend
The one thing we did not factor in is Tua not being available
We haven't heard anything and I would like Miami to at least pretend he might be in the game plan so Buffalo has to prepare for multiple QBs
Not that any of them will have lavish success up in Orchard Park in January

AS I said when we played them in SEPT: THE FIRST TWO GAMES VS THE BILLS DON'T MATTER. ONLY THE THIRD ONE WILL!!!!!!!!!
I feel like we had similar POV on this upcoming weekend
The one thing we did not factor in is Tua not being available
We haven't heard anything and I would like Miami to at least pretend he might be in the game plan so Buffalo has to prepare for multiple QBs
Not that any of them will have lavish success up in Orchard Park in January
I think that the Bills are beatable, but not with Skylar. Kid is too green to handle that. Tua and Teddy gives us a chance. The bills made the pats O look good. If not for two great Kickoffs by Hines we are out of the playoffs and the bills are the 3 seed

I think that the Bills are beatable, but not with Skylar. Kid is too green to handle that. Tua and Teddy gives us a chance. The bills made the pats O look good. If not for two great Kickoffs by Hines we are out of the playoffs and the bills are the 3 seed

:bs: Just to set the record straight for those of you who, like @Gatorman didn't watch the game:

The Bills ran the victory formation for the last 4 plays of the game, in the redzone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread