What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 NCAA Quarters #2 (1 Viewer)

Just for fun, pick one squad you would NOT want in each pool.

Mine's got to be up there, I would think. High risk. The Zags are the only one that could go far, but even then, still wouldn't pay much. I rolled the dice and could eat some ****.

There's a few others that did similar, it seems.

Good luck all. I'm copying over a scoring thing from a previous year's draft. IT's in the spreadsheet. Will try to keep it updated regularly.

Mine's got to be up there, I would think. High risk. The Zags are the only one that could go far, but even then, still wouldn't pay much. I rolled the dice and could eat some ****.

The Zags are an interesting team this year. Underachieved most of the year, but if you look at Bart Torvik's rankings (which are essentially the same as kenpom but they let you filter rankings by timeframe), the Zags have been the most efficient team in CBB since mid-January.

I'm new to this so I'm not sure how to evaluate my team. I just tried to land as many underseeded teams as I could, according to efficiency rankings. That applies to my San Diego St/Utah St./Maryland picks. I really wanted UConn, but they went 1 pick before me.

Last edited:
I’ve always gone by efficiency ratings and I’ve always paid out - have to roll dice on a team that can get hot and win 3 or 4
I can never predict that well
I think the Purdue bracket is ripe for an unexpected team to rip off a streak but I couldn’t tell you who that’s gonna be
Analytics would say Memphis
My heart says providence
Murphy’s Law says Duke and Kentucky

Good luck fellas

The Zags are an interesting team this year. Underachieved most of the year, but if you look at Bart Torvik's rankings (which are essentially the same as kenpom but they let you filter rankings by timeframe), the Zags have been the most efficient team in CBB since mid-January.

I'm new to this so I'm not sure how to evaluate my team. I just tried to land as many underseeded teams as I could, according to efficiency rankings. That applies to my San Diego St/Utah St./Maryland picks. I really wanted UConn, but they went 1 pick before me.

I didn't know that about the Zags, I'm just hoping their time has finally come in what I think is a wide open year. So coupled with the 3-seed I thought it was decent value and I enjoy rooting for them. After that, it was just a matter of trying to hit on some team that could make a decent run at a "price".

Your drafting position actually stuck out to me at the end of the draft. I was like, this dude got screwed on his dice roll. You not only get the last pick of the first round, but more importantly in the last two rounds, you are basically screwed, in being forced to try and hit something with only some meager pickings left at that point. So you're left with 20% of your draft as a crap shoot, more or less.

I didn't know that about the Zags, I'm just hoping their time has finally come in what I think is a wide open year. So coupled with the 3-seed I thought it was decent value and I enjoy rooting for them. After that, it was just a matter of trying to hit on some team that could make a decent run at a "price".

Your drafting position actually stuck out to me at the end of the draft. I was like, this dude got screwed on his dice roll. You not only get the last pick of the first round, but more importantly in the last two rounds, you are basically screwed, in being forced to try and hit something with only some meager pickings left at that point. So you're left with 20% of your draft as a crap shoot, more or less.
I didn’t mind the last pick. With only 8 people, it’s nice having back to back. And in the last rounds, I went early enough that I avoided getting a 16 seed which all seem like a wasted pick.

Standings as of today's games.

Harry Frogfish $35.50
Scoresman $19.50
Telly $avala$ $7.50
Dwayne Hoover $1.50
SteelerFan03 -$4.50
FishTacoTuesday -$14.50
Penguin -$20.50
sporthenry -$24.50

Don't feel too bad after Thursday, Had 2 of 3 get thru losing only a 13 seed, tomorrow wiil really shape things up

Don't feel too bad after Thursday, Had 2 of 3 get thru losing only a 13 seed, tomorrow wiil really shape things up
I had a 7, 8, and 15 advance, missing a sweep by one point with a 4 seed, no less, in Virginia.

I'll probably go 0-4 tomorrow for posting that. Actually 1-3, TBH (If Grand Canyon beats Gonzaga I'll eat my shoe).

I know it's likely an obvious answer, but why is this type of pool called 'Quarters'?

I've been in one of these for several years and love the format, but I've never heard the term Quarters when referring to it.

I know it's likely an obvious answer, but why is this type of pool called 'Quarters'?

I've been in one of these for several years and love the format, but I've never heard the term Quarters when referring to it.

Because every time someone's team gets a win, you multiply the round by the team's seed. These are the number of quarters that are owed to them and every other team splits the payment.

So for example, with Texas winning yesterday, I won $3.50, (2nd seeded team in round 1, so 2*1=2 quarters from every other team. 2*7 is 14, 14*.25 = $3.50).

What I'm realizing being new to this is that you end up rooting against the underdogs you don't have because their multipliers can really add up if they go far. I bet whoever had St. Peters last year made a killing at everyone else's expense.

Because every time someone's team gets a win, you multiply the round by the team's seed. These are the number of quarters that are owed to them and every other team splits the payment.

So for example, with Texas winning yesterday, I won $3.50, (2nd seeded team in round 1, so 2*1=2 quarters from every other team. 2*7 is 14, 14*.25 = $3.50).

What I'm realizing being new to this is that you end up rooting against the underdogs you don't have because their multipliers can really add up if they go far. I bet whoever had St. Peters last year made a killing at everyone else's expense.
I see. I understand the scoring as this has been my favorite type of NCAA pool for a while now. I didn't realize you did a quarter a point--that's what I was missing.

Thanks.

I see. I understand the scoring as this has been my favorite type of NCAA pool for a while now. I didn't realize you did a quarter a point--that's what I was missing.

Thanks.
There used to be 50c and $1 ones as well. But pretty sure someone took an absolute bath in a dollar pool once. So that distinction used to matter.

The Drake collapse is really gonna cost me. What a complete choke those last 5 minutes were. They scored like one point or some ****. Initiated by a press. How can you not be better at breaking the press by now, it's March. And I doubt they're a very young team.

Miami had no timeouts those last 6 minutes either. Wow. Miami coach said that Drake was probably the best team they played all year. If true, what does that say about Drake's Coach? Or at least his coaching job when it mattered most. Maybe he's good in a lot of other areas to even get Drake there but holy crap did they all wilt when it counted.

Standings as of the end of Round 1. Please check your teams scoring for accuracy.

Harry Frogfish $18.25
Penguin $16.25
sporthenry $4.25
Scoresman $2.25
Telly $avala$ -$3.75
Dwayne Hoover -$7.75
SteelerFan03 -$13.75
FishTacoTuesday -$15.75

Updated standings as of the beginning of the Sweet 16.

Harry Frogfish $83.25
Penguin $21.25
Telly $avala$ $5.25
sporthenry $1.25
Scoresman -$8.75
SteelerFan03 -$20.75
FishTacoTuesday -$34.75
Dwayne Hoover -$46.75

Yeah that’s what I had as well scoresman

Teams remaining:
FrogFish 3
Telly$ 3
Penguin 3
Steeler 3
Scores 2
FishTaco 1
Henry 1
Hoover 0

Scoring updated. Again, please check my work on the spreadsheet.

FAU keeping the quarters rolling. Sorry Harry Frogfish, but Princeton can go eff themselves!!

Harry Frogfish$87.00
sporthenry$41.00
Penguin$25.00
Telly $avala$-$9.00
SteelerFan03-$11.00
Scoresman-$23.00
FishTacoTuesday-$49.00
Dwayne Hoover-$61.00

Those of you who have done this before. How are payments usually handled?

Top winner is responsible of figuring out who pays who.

So in our case, it'll either be myself or @SteelerFan03 who takes top money, most likely SteelerFan. I'm going to assume everyone who ends up owing pays him and he gives out money to the other folks not in the red.

If there's an easier way to do this, please suggest.

Also, please double check you scores on the spreadsheet. I've double checked, but another set of eyes is always good.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OHaYlsxybECsrL4TzCP_mqEd4/edit#gid=1537403296

Just let me know who to send my $ 31 to and their Zenmo/paypal info etc. and it's done

Last edited:
Well I was the big loser, first one out of teams and the worst part is that I passed on UCONN with my first pick. Oh well. Let me know who to settle up with

Final standings. I keep repeating myself, but please check my work on your team's scores on the spreadsheet.

SteelerFan03 $71.00
sporthenry $57.00
Scoresman $53.00
Harry Frogfish $31.00
Telly $avala$ -$29.00

Penguin -$31.00
FishTacoTuesday -$35.00

Dwayne Hoover -$117.00

Probably easiest if everyone who owes pays to SteelerFan03 and then SteelerFan03 pays the other winners. I think that's how it's been done in the past.

If that's the case, SteelerFan04 please PM your paypal info to the folks who owe. Then , myself, sporthenry and Harry Frogfish can give you our payment info.

This the #2 thread. There was interest for a second one of these from the following folks, but please confirm by posting here

EDITED:
DRAFT LINK - GOOGLE SHEET

fishtacos 940
sporthenry 918
penguin 659
Telly $avala$ 624
Harry Frogfish 465
Dwayne Hoover 346
SteelerFan03 95
scoresman 61
Just want to say thanks for running this, it was fun, appreciate the effort. If you run it back next year, count me in.

Last edited:
This the #2 thread. There was interest for a second one of these from the following folks, but please confirm by posting here

EDITED:
DRAFT LINK - GOOGLE SHEET

fishtacos 940
sporthenry 918
penguin 659
Telly $avala$ 624
Harry Frogfish 465
Dwayne Hoover 346
SteelerFan03 95
scoresman 61
Just want to say thanks for running this, it was fun, appreciate the effort. If you run it back next year, count me in.

OK, but only if you change your username to Harry Dongfish. :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread