What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (3 Viewers)

Man. What a s***** game plan and performance. Took me a while, but I'm on the "get rid of Brian Johnson" bandwagon finally. The calls are just mediocre and not very well thought out. We need a change from him next year. I've been screaming "run the ball" every week for too long. We come out with pass/pass/pass on literally every single opening of every single game and its just too predictable now. Teams just play "cover everyone/go tackle Jalen" for the opening of every game now. I don't get it.

And Jalen, ffs man, you gotta stop trying these "go this way" directions in the pocket when you've already been sitting there for 5 seconds. Get rid of the ball. Or run. But sitting back there hoping something will open up in the next 1 second doesn't do anything for me.

And lastly, Howie. I give the guy all the credit in the world, but I hope this is another lesson he will add to his list of corrections: f****** invest in the LB position already. Like, its really really REALLY bad now. We have marginal talent and zero depth. Tight ends and running backs just eat us for lunch these days.

And Bradley Roby - if he is here WHY are we still throwing Eli Ricks out there? An UDFA running around in some of the most important games is just unacceptable. If he was playing well, I'd get it, but....he is not.

Dallas is gonna be super ready for us. They will be happy the Niners beat us "see its not just us!" and ready to take this division from us. We must turn this around quick or its over real fast.

nah even if dallas beats us next week they are gonna drop another game or 2. i could see the bills, miami, or detroit getting them. the division is ours. the number 1 seed though? i dunno
this. Eagles will be road dogs this week, and Dallas will be well up for it. Assuming the Eagles take care of business the final three weeks, either the Cowboys game or the Seahawks game will put them in the drivers seat for the division. But the margin of error for top seed may be 0.
The idea of resting players early might be out the door. But the Niners remaining schedule isn’t exactly easy. I feel like the Eagles should be ok even if they lose to Dallas as long as they win out after that.
BUt they will no longer control their own destiny.

TBH, the 2 seed wouldn't be the end of the world. This team can compete in SF, and if it came to that it would be with the SB trip on the line
Is that definitely true? What if there is like 3 or 4 teams in the NFC that end up with 3 losses? Do the Eagles win a tiebreaker?
Besides SF, who else is remotely likely to finish with 3??

Detroit and Dallas play each other so one of those teams won't.

This is just a criminal use of personnel. I get this isn't the biggest issue, but to my dying day I will never understand this.

Running back
39 snaps: Kenny Gainwell
30 snaps: D'Andre Swift
6 snaps: Boston Scott
It’s a pretty big ****ing issue in my book. Swift getting 6 carries is also criminal in a game that your only chance is to keep off the other teams’ offense

This is just a criminal use of personnel. I get this isn't the biggest issue, but to my dying day I will never understand this.

Running back
It’s a pretty big ****ing issue in my book. Swift getting 6 carries is also criminal in a game that your only chance is to keep off the other teams’ offense

They're trying to keep Swift fresh for the playoff run. He's already set a career high in rushing attempts and we still have 5 games to go. The knock on him from Detroit was that he was talented but always nursing some injury that limited him. He's been surprisingly durable and available this season.

This has the feel of early 2021 where we were only giving the RBs like 10-12 carries a game combined. Even after the Dallas fiasco where we had 3 carries that year, it still took another 4 games before they finally gave the ball to the RBs and started winning. Hopefully it doesn't take that long to remember this year.

Running back

They're trying to keep Swift fresh for the playoff run. He's already set a career high in rushing attempts and we still have 5 games to go. The knock on him from Detroit was that he was talented but always nursing some injury that limited him. He's been surprisingly durable and available this season.
Yea but saving them for what? Running just isn't their philosophy. You'd think they'd want to run more to save Jalens legs for the post season.

Running back

six carries against the top rival for the #1 seed is ridiculous and is not being done to keep him fresh. Point. Blank. Period. If they wanted to protect him, they had a funny way of showing it late in the 4th when the game was out of hand and they had him in only to ROCKED.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting he get 25 carries. I'm not even suggesting that he dominate all the carries. Swift getting six carries is malpractice. Swift getting 2 receptions is malpractice. TEAM TOTAL RB carries being 9 is malpractice. Its all ****ed.

Running back

Yea but saving them for what? Running just isn't their philosophy. You'd think they'd want to run more to save Jalens legs for the post season.
This is just so weird to hear, seeing as how that WAS their identity last year.

Running back

Because they don't play him? Did you see his soul leave his body toward the end there? I didn't know if he was going to get up. Talk about "Fly Eagle Fly". haha

Shaq Leonard didn't get playing time in Indy because of back issues and poor play, so he asked for his release. People see that "All-Pro", and get excited.

Ertz would be a good pickup, he has some good hands, assuming he can block.

Running back

six carries against the top rival for the #1 seed is ridiculous and is not being done to keep him fresh. Point. Blank. Period. If they wanted to protect him, they had a funny way of showing it late in the 4th when the game was out of hand and they had him in only to ROCKED.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting he get 25 carries. I'm not even suggesting that he dominate all the carries. Swift getting six carries is malpractice. Swift getting 2 receptions is malpractice. TEAM TOTAL RB carries being 9 is malpractice. Its all ****ed.
He also had two drops (or more accurately got hit twice when trying to catch it)
Again, Gainwell has been the two minute/short yardage back all year.

There was a lot wrong yesterday....the use of Swift was far from the biggest

Shaq Leonard didn't get playing time in Indy because of back issues and poor play, so he asked for his release. People see that "All-Pro", and get excited.

Ertz would be a good pickup, he has some good hands, assuming he can block.
He can't block. But he can catch. Adds a better dynamic than Albert O and Stoll.

Brock Purdy passing stats broken down by coverage (which defensive player let up the catch).

Morrow might actually get cut once Cunningham is back.

• Morrow: 175 (2 TDs)
• Ricks: 44 (1 TD)
• Eliss: 33
• Slay: 32
• Roby: 15
• Reddick: 9
• Byard: 4
• Blankenship: 2 (1 TD)

#Eagles

(via PFF)

Brock Purdy passing stats broken down by coverage (which defensive player let up the catch).

#Eagles

(via PFF)

Shaq Diesel signing looks even better.

Running back

He also had two drops (or more accurately got hit twice when trying to catch it)
Again, Gainwell has been the two minute/short yardage back all year.

There was a lot wrong yesterday....the use of Swift was far from the biggest
No doubt there was a lot to underwhelm yesterday but the past few weeks have been maddening with the general ignoring of the run game. I really expected a healthy dose of the run last night and they seemed to abandon it immediately.

#Eagles

(via PFF)

Vomit

Running back

Because they don't play him? Did you see his soul leave his body toward the end there? I didn't know if he was going to get up. Talk about "Fly Eagle Fly". haha
Super, here's another one. :rolleyes:

Running back

The other issue was he was never used right in Det

#Eagles

(via PFF)

That means Bradberry 0? 🤔

#Eagles

(via PFF)

Correct. They never even threw his way. No targets.

#Eagles

(via PFF)

Correct. They never even threw his way. No targets.
That’s wild, I assumed he got lit up by Deebo….not even a target. Guess you don’t need to with Morrow in the game getting lit up like a 🌲.

I like listening to Quintin Mikell and Jason Avant podcast. they have some good tidbits from the SF game:

the tape on the SF-Phi game is going to be getting crushed i think for most of the week. I hope the actual tam has moved on to the Cowpokes, because they really need to dictate that game Sunday night

if we beat Dallas, this will all be in the rear view mirror. We were due for a letdown...it happens. If/when we play SF in the playoffs, obviously they need to review this tape in great detail to fix everything - but right now winning in Dallas (which we havent done in a long time) is paramount.

Desai needs all the smoke coming to him. That was pathetic

Our defense is holier than the pope though

We’ve been playing with fire on that side of the ball for a bit now. I don’t think SF had one drop or a single self inflicted wound. Add in the coaching clinic you saw today and this was bound to happen.

SF is scorching hot as well.

Really just need a better game plan next week on both sides. It would be nice to see our receivers running open like you saw SF’s today.
The Eagles defense has forced 33 3rd downs in the last 2 games. They have allowed a 1st down 23 of those 33 times*

*2 4th down conversions and 21 3rd down conversions.

never thought the defense would actually get worse after getting rid of gannon. it has. at least we got lots of sacks last year. its the same crap defense from last year that gives up 3rd downs and never gets turnovers except less sacks. like alot less.

never thought the defense would actually get worse after getting rid of gannon. it has. at least we got lots of sacks last year. its the same crap defense from last year that gives up 3rd downs and never gets turnovers except less sacks. like alot less.
Yeah its tough to see. Even the run defense has fallen off lately.

Dallas is gonna be a tough out, but I think we are up for it

It’s hard to say I think. I look to the Miami game when they came in red hot and were whooping teams. The lack of sacks really seems to be due to teams game planning quick passes with 3-5 step drops to get the ball out early. Our downfall is not having any linebackers that can cover those quick passes. DL also looks worn down. Hopefully it is just result of those 3 games in 13 days, guess we will see

We’ve been playing with fire on that side of the ball for a bit now. I don’t think SF had one drop or a single self inflicted wound. Add in the coaching clinic you saw today and this was bound to happen.

Really just need a better game plan next week on both sides. It would be nice to see our receivers running open like you saw SF’s today.
The Eagles defense has forced 33 3rd downs in the last 2 games. They have allowed a 1st down 23 of those 33 times*

I guess the all-22 is out now. I was listening to something, can’t remember what, but I believe every one of the 3rd downs against SF they targeted either Eli Ricks or Nick Morrow.

What’s funny (but not) is that most of the media and fanbase were quiet or even praising Desai until this last game, yet:

Eagles defense is the 6th worst in the league, based on EPA per play.

2nd worst since week 4.

Pass protection has been an underrated issue for Eagles

OLine is 28th in hurries & 24th in total pressures allowed

Hurts has allowed the most pressure among QBs, per PFF

Together they are 21st in sacks allowed. Only team in bottom 12 projected to make playoffs

What’s funny (but not) is that most of the media and fanbase were quiet or even praising Desai until this last game, yet:

Eagles defense is the 6th worst in the league, based on EPA per play.

2nd worst since week 4.

winning covers up alot of warts

Just look at how open SF’s receivers are versus what it takes for us to complete a pass. This is kind of what ticked me off when everyone would just blast stats for these coordinators when you could see what was happening.
Eagles WRs are getting open at the 8th lowest rate in the NFL right now.

I guess the all-22 is out now. I was listening to something, can’t remember what, but I believe every one of the 3rd downs against SF they targeted either Eli Ricks or Nick Morrow.
Playing Madden on rookie. Just keep running the same play if it works.

So after all that, it was between Dallas and the Eagles, we get our asses kicked and he goes "Dallas are frauds I know it, better sign with a real team"

LOL

He wants playing time. If you watched his tape, he wouldn’t of stepped on the field for us. You guys are not gonna be happy with him either. He’s washed.

Just look at how open SF’s receivers are versus what it takes for us to complete a pass. This is kind of what ticked me off when everyone would just blast stats for these coordinators when you could see what was happening.
Eagles WRs are getting open at the 8th lowest rate in the NFL right now.
Because we're not doing much in the way of scheming. Everything is looking for the big play. The few rare drives we put together a complete offense, it works. Add to that Hurts's pocket presence seems to be regressing again - and this is what we have.

I was shocked at how little pressure San Francisco was getting on Hurts for most of the game, was that because your dope offensive line or was it because San Francisco focused on stopping the pass?

So after all that, it was between Dallas and the Eagles, we get our asses kicked and he goes "Dallas are frauds I know it, better sign with a real team"

LOL

He wants playing time. If you watched his tape, he wouldn’t of stepped on the field for us. You guys are not gonna be happy with him either. He’s washed.
Yah well our LBs are not great and the depth is even worse. Can't be any worse.

And you guys signed Rashaan Evans for depth after we cut him from our abysmal LB corps and also hosted Leonard.

So, OK.

LOL

Probably. But he's a huge upgrade over Morrow.

I was shocked at how little pressure San Francisco was getting on Hurts for most of the game, was that because your dope offensive line or was it because San Francisco focused on stopping the pass?
Hurts seemed like he had time all game but no one was getting open. Instead of running though he held it and held it and held it. Cost us early.

I wasn't all that shocked. Lane Johnson handled Nick Bosa pretty much exactly the same way he did in the NFC Title game. What I was more shocked at was their coverage ability.

But Ya know, we got the brakes beat off us, so there are no moral victories in not allowing sacks on plays where Hurts didn't hold the ball for 8 seconds.

We should have Cunningham and Goedert back this week, which will help.

Rumor mill is in a flurry saying Ertz and Suh are on the way too. Those guys might not do jack this week, but the first 2 guys I mentioned certainly help.

LOL

And you guys signed Rashaan Evans for depth after we cut him from our abysmal LB corps and also hosted Leonard.

So, OK.

Evan’s sucks. He doesn’t stay out there for long. I was all hype for Leonard too, until I saw his recent tape.

🤣 at “ So. OK”. I wasn’t talking trash. My god man.

LOL

So, OK.

Evan’s sucks. He doesn’t stay out there for long. I was all hype for Leonard too, until I saw his recent tape.

🤣 at “ So. OK”. I wasn’t talking trash. My god man.
All good, I was just stating the fact we probably had similar intentions to signing him to bolster depth. Considering the fact you did actually sign a guy we cut and also hosted the guy we signed.

No trash talking here just stating facts. He probably wouldn't start for you guys, but at the same time, one injury and I guess its Evans time? Just like when it was Elliss time for us, it was not .....good at all.

In the Eagles two losses this year:

Dropbacks: 101
RB carries: 23
This right here. Swift getting 6 carries last game, just can't do this kind of stuff.
Just to expand on this and continue my rant on the lack of a running game...

We have, what we are told by everyone, one of the best O-lines in the league. Its well known that offensive linemen would rather run block than pass block.
We have a play, in the Brotherly-shove, that is just about a guaranteed conversion from 2 yards in. That basically means you are always starting at first and 8. You have three downs to get 8 yards.

Why on earth you don't automatically go run, run on first and second downs is beyond me. Like EVERY ****ING TIME! It might be predictable, but what we are doing now is completely predictable. Below is a prediction of at least 5 different drives this coming Sunday:

1. First and ten, shotgun, slow developing routes, Jalen breaks out of the pocket and runs to his left, looks...looks....throws it away.
  2. Second and ten, shotgun, quick pass behind the line of scrimmage that gets blown up for a loss.
  3. Third and twelve, deep pass to AJ Brown, who is triple-covered...drop.
  4. Fourth down punt.

Get back to ****ing basics. This team is best when it establishes the run because it can convert on third or fourth and short. Running the ball showcases what your Oline does best. It wears down the defense so you can take some strikes later in the game to really lengthen a lead. It keeps the opposing offense off the field, which will be imperative this Sunday night and most importantly it keeps our "defense" on the sidelines where they can't do damage to our chances of winning.

None of this is complicated. We don't need to do the smoke and mirror looks and motions that SF did to us. Just run the ball at them. Use Swift more. Use Gainwell if you have to. Use Boston. Run Jalen. These guys just try to get too smart or too cute and before you know it we're digging ourselves out of a hole. The Oline we have, plus the running QB that we have, plus the playmaker in Swift at RB, plus the fact that they can convert 4th and 2 at about a 92% clip all make it aal-to-obvious that we should be run heavy. But instead we run ALL RBS 9 times last week.

I just don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread