What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Carolina Panthers: Draft Season, let the Trading Begin (3 Viewers)

Bears receive:
  • WR DJ Moore
  • 2023 first-round pick (OT Darnell Wright)
  • 2023 second-round pick (CB Tyrique Stevens)
  • 2024 first-round pick (currently No. 1 overall pick)
  • 2025 second-round pick
Panthers receive:
  • 2023 No. 1 pick (Bryce Young)

That's an all-timer. Franchise defining.
I'm gonna take the position that Carolina may still win (or at least not lose) that deal. As bad as Young has played, Eli, Alex Smith, and Goff were all MUCH worse as rookies. I think Stroud's unprecedented success is coloring people's expectations for a rookie QB a bit.

As a Bears fan, I'll say Stevenson is a #3 CB talent, and Wright is a solid RT (which was probably a reach in the top-10) so the real important parts are the 2024 1st, which could result in the Bears making a similar trade next spring, and DJ Moore, who is a very good, though not elite WR.

If Young becomes Jared Goff or Alex Smith, do the Panthers hate this trade? If he becomes Eli they certainly don't. I guess I still think its possible this deal was a win-win is all. I do think Caleb Williams is a better prospect than Young was, but I don't think its reasonable to think when trading a future 1st round pick that its gonna be #1 overall.
If "ifs" and "buts" were candies and nuts... Every day would be Christmas.
Agreed, just saying if we closed the book on guys 10 games into their careers, a lot of HOFers would have been missed out on. Not saying Young will be that obviously (maybe he ends up going down the David Carr route?) but he was a consensus top-2 pick, and its very possible (likely?) that this is just a blip and a better HC/supporting cast makes us all forget this season, ala Trevor Lawrence.
Lot of posts in Panther fan circles comparing Young to the starts of players like Lawrence, Burrow, and etc. It takes a while to adapt to the game for even great talents.

That said, the David Carr warning light is flashing right now. They cannot protect them and the WR core has been pitiful in terms of drops/separation (outside of the Theilen). It's starting to impact him, you can see it in his body language IMO

I'm certainly not ready to give up on Young and believe he could turn out to be a good QB with the right coaching and supporting cast. Finding that right coach is going to be a tall order and Tepper makes it more difficult as he builds a reputation of being impatient and trigger happy.

That said, the David Carr warning light is flashing right now. They cannot protect them and the WR core has been pitiful in terms of drops/separation (outside of the Theilen). It's starting to impact him, you can see it in his body language IMO
I’m about as big a fan of Bryce as you’ll find but I’d either put him on the bench for now or make it very clear that they’re looking for short passes or run and the score doesn’t matter. No need to get the kid crushed.

While I get the sentiment that Tepper is impatient and firing coaches a lot, I think both Rhule and Reich deserved to be fired even earlier. The problem is that he is terrible at hiring the right coaches.

An arguably bigger problem (with both franchises) is that the GMs/scouts have been allowed to stay.
Never thought I'd be wondering if Hurney was available :lmao:

While I get the sentiment that Tepper is impatient and firing coaches a lot, I think both Rhule and Reich deserved to be fired even earlier. The problem is that he is terrible at hiring the right coaches.

An arguably bigger problem (with both franchises) is that the GMs/scouts have been allowed to stay.
Oh heavens no!
I mean...we're relatively confident even Hurney was like "WTF dude?!?!?!" when the details of the trade to Chicago were made known. We'll ignore the letting go of McCaffrey for a second.

If this keeps going the way it is, Panthers won't be around Charlotte for very long. Tepper will pick up and move them. No doubt in my mind.

Oh heavens no!
I mean...we're relatively confident even Hurney was like "WTF dude?!?!?!" when the details of the trade to Chicago were made known. We'll ignore the letting go of McCaffrey for a second.

If this keeps going the way it is, Panthers won't be around Charlotte for very long. Tepper will pick up and move them. No doubt in my mind.

If he moves the team away then sayonara. I hope he moves them to Europe, but either way I would not follow.

Oh heavens no!

If he moves the team away then sayonara. I hope he moves them to Europe, but either way I would not follow.
I expect most of us here are old enough to remember when NC just didn't have a team.

That was great. You could just root for whoever. The local broadcast wasn't beholden to showing Panthers games.

With what I think the next 30 years will look like with Tepper, I think there's a generation of football fans in the Old North State that will be far better off if he moves the team.

Just imagine next Sunday.....you don't have to worry about it.

Folks in Frankfurt or St. Louis have to have a FOX broadcast taken up by a Panthers game, and not you. Maybe they fill it in with a good football game.

Didn't you just feel an inner sense of peace at the thought?

Can definitely see Tepper trying to move the team, but Charlotte's city council is already tripping all over themselves to offer $600 million towards stadium upgrades. Can't see the NFL wanting to move a team from here either, but they're probably regretting letting this clown into their club.

Can definitely see Tepper trying to move the team, but Charlotte's city council is already tripping all over themselves to offer $600 million towards stadium upgrades. Can't see the NFL wanting to move a team from here either, but they're probably regretting letting this clown into their club.
Higher taxes AND being forced to watch more Carolina Panthers football? Wow. It doesn't get much better than that.

Oh heavens no!

Where is he going to move? Every major market size wise above Charlotte is taken except Orlando, St. Louis, and San Diego. Austin and San Antonio are just behind. I don't see Miami or Tampa allowing another team in Florida. Ditto for Jerry letting anyone in on his turf. San Diego isn't going to let an NFL owner hold them hostage. STL isn't an upgrade over Charlotte. If the NFL goes overseas it will be due to expansion as the rest of the owners want a chunk of the expansion fees.

If the NFL goes overseas it will be due to expansion as the rest of the owners want a chunk of the expansion fees.
You might be right about the owners wanting more expansion money. But expanding would be a mistake. 32 is perfect, and there’s something to be said for a lack of talent to spread to more teams.

If the NFL goes overseas it will be due to expansion as the rest of the owners want a chunk of the expansion fees.
You might be right about the owners wanting more expansion money. But expanding would be a mistake. 32 is perfect, and there’s something to be said for a lack of talent to spread to more teams.
I'm liking 36 teams, 6 divisions of 6. Top two in each division make the playoffs then we go to total points for the next two in each conference. Imagine the games we'd get if the last four playoff spots were determined by running up your points scored on the year.

I'm liking 36 teams, 6 divisions of 6. Top two in each division make the playoffs then we go to total points for the next two in each conference. Imagine the games we'd get if the last four playoff spots were determined by running up your points scored on the year.
Sounds like a fun fantasy league but no thanks.

Second game-winning drive from Bryce. Still some crucial drops (Theilen on the goal line), but good to see Chark and others make good catches to extend that final drive.

GM fired. At least Tepper waited for the season to end before he canned Fitterer. Good call, now fire all the talent scouts and find a good GM and coach, and get the hell out of the way of football operations. Or if you really feel like helping, put the team up for sale.

:<_<: So going with the guy who was with Fitterer and involved in some of the tragic decisions since the team's inception. I liked Morgan as a player but what does he know about building and managing a roster? He retired due to too many concussions, IIRC... totally unrelated though!

Guess he's keeping all of the scout staff as well. Just what we need, more draft whiffs.

I know Harbough wouldn't want anything to do with Tepper, ditto Belichick... but I wish we could get an established coach instead of throwing these so called "hot" O/D coordinators against the wall and hope one sticks.

Keep pounding was a nice motto but this team needs a reboot. Someone who can establish a disciplined locker room. I know Belichick wouldn't be in for the long hall, but if he could come in for 3 or 4 years and build a culture. Hire a young talented OC and groom him to take over when BB retires.

Or Pete Carroll or Mike Tomlin.

But Tepper would burn it all down before it took off anyway. Why didn't he just name himself as new GM? :cry:

Former Miami Hurricane and 1st Rd selection, also by being promoted from within will allow Tepper to still have his hands on the controls.
I'm happy for my fellow Cane but this job is set up for failure and he should know that going in.
Was part of Seattle from 2010 up thru their SB run and beyond, was at Buffalo I believe when they took Josh Allen in the Draft
The good news is Carolina finished with the worst record and will have the No 1...oh that's right, he doesn't even get that luxury
Morgan might have been the only person who would even take the job, doubt Tepper ran an ad on Indeed or tried LinkedIn

Dave Canales, Tampa Bay's OC to be next HC?

Sounds like maybe he was the only one to say yes. One season as an OC, From offensive quality control coach to QBs coach and passing game coordinator at USC before joining Seattle's staff.

Never been a head coach at any level. :mellow:

Cautiously optimistic? :greatgooglymoogly:

So you promote an internal GM candidate and sign a guy with very little experience to coach. Definitely get the impression that candidates do not want to deal with Tepper. Maybe they will get lucky, but it's hard to avoid the thought that Morgan has the job because Tepper knows he will be loyal.

Sounds like maybe he was the only one to say yes. One season as an OC, From offensive quality control coach to QBs coach and passing game coordinator at USC before joining Seattle's staff.

SF once had to resort to hiring someone named Jim Tomsula, and look where they are now.

But more likely the equivalent of this is Jim Zorn being hired by Snyder.

SF once had to resort to hiring someone named Jim Tomsula, and look where they are now.

But more likely the equivalent of this is Jim Zorn being hired by Snyder.
If the Panthers can find their Shanihan after a year or two of duds (like SF), I'm willing to wait. Unfortunately, we don't have John Lynch as GM.

Panthers name Brandt Tilis executive VP of football operations. 14 years with the Chiefs and former VP of football operations in KC.

I like this hire.

Carolina owner David Tepper, the league's most-scrutinized owner by a wide margin, is unsurprisingly unpopular in his own building. Tepper received a D grade and scored 6.6/10, which was 28th in the league. The main issue, the report sites, was his choice to change the playing surface at Bank of America Stadium to an artificial surface despite the players unanimously wanting to play on natural grass.

I'm glad they got their guy and that Legette wants to be in Carolina, but don't love the fact they gave an early 5th rounder (141) for a mid 6th rounder (200) for a guy they could have drafted at 33.

That said, I'm sure they took into consideration the 5th yr option they get with XL for him being a first round pick. And I believe we still have an early 5th round pick tomorrow.

Could turn out to be a nice move... for a change. Here's hoping this weekend brings a few gems to Charlotte.

I don't see the pettiness. Cool for the business that he stopped in and didn't throw a beer on anyone.
Taking a hat off another grown man’s head while you stop to complain about a sign seems pretty petty to me. :shrug:
I'm giving him some leeway because it was an Eagles hat.

I don't see the pettiness. Cool for the business that he stopped in and didn't throw a beer on anyone.
Taking a hat off another grown man’s head while you stop to complain about a sign seems pretty petty to me. :shrug:
I'm giving him some leeway because it was an Eagles hat.
Fair point. Doesn’t Dillworth Grille have a lot of Steelers stuff too? Or is that just WVU.

Dan Morgan gets a good grade from me in this draft. Moving around to get players that the HC clearly wanted (Legette and Brooks) and picked up another 2nd next year. He also specifically mentioned wanting to be a more physical team.

Doesn’t mean these picks will all pan out or anything, but positive signs.

Love that they got the 2nd round pick back for next year and acquired a few others. I thought we'd go CB in the 4th but went TE. Hopefully 'man hands' can make an impact in this new offense.

Users who are viewing this thread