What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cowboys Thread. Tyler meet Tyler… also did you meet Tyler??? (3 Viewers)

Dallas is not a healthy environment for players and coaches and I will land the blame on the foot steps of Jerry Jones

Name one other owner after a Wildcard loss this weekend that is out talking to the media
Name one other owner that is addressing his team in the locker room and talking directly to the players all the time

-When you all have that solved and figured out and not a minute before, only then can you really have hopes to ascend and become a Champion again.
Jerry makes it all about him and he always has his head over the shoulders of his players and coaches, it limits what the environment a coach can create
Jerry is always whispering in their ears

They need a coach that prepares them. MCarthy and Quinn appeared clueless against GB. Not exactly sure why this is, but, above all else, given the last three years, it’s time for a change.

I’ve said it in other threads, and I’ll repeat it here; Dak needs to move on. Simply put, the playoff performances show, beyond any doubt, that he’s not a championship QB. Good yes, great, not even close. If the Cowboys extend his contract, then we are done until he leaves as a championship contender. You’ve watched the games, you’ve seen the horrific picks, there’s really not much else to say here.

They should attempt to model, and I know that the NBA and NFL are very different, what the Boston Celtics have done: make some major roster changes through trades, tacitly acknowledging that while they may be good, they don’t currently have what it takes to win a ring. It may work, it may not, but at least there is a shift in thinking.

High level look at our team:

QB’s
Dak
Rush
Lance

As much as most of us would like fire Dak to moon, I see no other path. Rush maybe gone?

RB’s
Pollard
Dowdle
Vaughn - IR

Pretty sure RB will be one of our biggest needs. Derrick Henry?

FB -Luepke

WR’s
Lamb
Cooks
Gallup
Tolbert
Turpin
Brooks
Moreno- Cropper
McMath
Burden -IR

Lamb is a stud, needs a contract and will get paid.
Cut Gallup
Not a fan of Cooks either.

TE’s
Ferguson
Hendershot
Schoonmaker
Fant
McKeon - IR
Stephens

Good group with Top 3. Ferguson was the best surprise of the year.

LT:
Tyron Smith, Chuma Edoga, Asim Richards, Earl Bostick

LG:
Tyler Smith, T.J. Bass, Chuma Edoga, Asim Richards

C: Tyler Biadasz, Brock Hoffman

RG: Zack Martin, Brock Hoffman, Matt Waletzko, Josh Ball (IR)

RT: Terence Steele, Chuma Edoga, Matt Waletzko

Oline is aging and over rated.
Tyron Smith might be cooked
Not sure I want Biadasz back.
Mover Tyler to LT?
Bass was good
Steele up and down

LDE: Lawrence, Williams Wheat, Johnson
RDE: Armstrong, Fowler, Fehoko
LDT: Hankins, Smith
RDT: Odighizuwa, Gallimore, Golston

Lawrence was great. This group needs an upgrade.

WLB: Clark, Johnson, LVE
SLB: Parsons, Overshown - IR
MLB: Bell

LB corps is bad aside from Parson’s who is a pass rusher.

CB
Gilmore
Bland
Lewis
Diggs
Wright
Igbinoghene
Scott
Butler
Goodwin - IR

Any chance we trade a Diggs or Bland? I think it’s interesting idea to investigate.

Safety
Wilson
Kearse
Thomas
Makuamu

P: Bryan Anger
LS: Trent Sieg

My opinion on team needs:
RB
Oline
D line
LB

If ur QB looks like a deer in the headlights, that **** spreads to the rest of the team. Dak is a really good regular season QB.

How much of it is McCarthys fault? He isn't on the field not executing. But, he's the leader, and they got punched in the mouth, and proceeded to fold. That is the Hallmark of a poorly run team.

I would prefer to bring in a coach that can change the culture and try to keep the team together, but I'm just not sure Dak is ever gonna be the guy.

Which Head Coach has the most 12-win seasons in the NFC right now?
Mike McCarthy
12-5 three years in a row
With the Cowboys roster and level of talent, that’s underachievement.

I’ll give him credit- they seldom lose to teams they should beat. The issue lies in playing teams that have commensurate talent levels and the playoffs.

He’s really not much of an upgrade over Jason Garrett, a little, yes, a lot, no.

If ur QB looks like a deer in the headlights, that **** spreads to the rest of the team. Dak is a really good regular season QB.

How much of it is McCarthys fault? He isn't on the field not executing. But, he's the leader, and they got punched in the mouth, and proceeded to fold. That is the Hallmark of a poorly run team.

I would prefer to bring in a coach that can change the culture and try to keep the team together, but I'm just not sure Dak is ever gonna be the guy.
There is no evidence base to suggest Dak is anything other than not the guy.

Dak facts - costs to cut Dak.

Before June 1 - 64 million
2024 cut - Dead cap 25 million - savings are 34 million
2025 cut - Dead cap 25 million - saving are 11 million

Option 2 is worth investigating.

Last edited:
They can't play tight in playoff games. Almost like they freeze up. Leadership is responsible for having them confident and loose. "Must win" focuses on the outcome, not the process. It's like golf when you think you have to pull of a shot or make a putt which causes tension vs trusting the process and freeing yourself up to succeed. So yes - some of that is on Jerry. You can have high expectations and still be loose.

And still have no idea what the heck happened to this defense. Total collapse.

-Inflated stats and results played against the worst league OLines in the league.
-No run defense
-Limited physicality

Secondary is pretty good.

Last edited:
I think you guys with Dak are in a similar situation as the Niners were with Jimmy G. Perennial contenders, but as a fan base, you know he isn’t the guy to get you over the finish line.

When Lance came in, I was super excited, not because I thought he was the answer, but bc I knew Jimmy wasn’t, and the unknown was more exciting to me than the known.

Sucks you guys are stuck with him for one more year, but if I was the Cowboys, I’d take two fliers in the draft 3rd and 7th round and see if I could hit gold. The longer you wait to start the process to find the guy, the longer it will take. I’d also be very upfront with Dak; anything short of a SB and it’s his last here. Just my .02.

Last edited:
I think you guys with Dak are in a similar situation as the Niners were with Jimmy G. Perennial contenders, but as a fan base, you know he isn’t the guy to get you over the finish line.

When Lance came in, I was super excited, not because I thought he was the answer, but bc I knew Jimmy wasn’t, and the unknown was more exciting to me than the known.

Sucks you guys are stuck with him for one more year, but if I was the Cowboys, I’d take two fliers in the draft 3rd and 7th round and see if I could hit gold. The longer you wait to start the process to find the guy, the longer it will take. I’d also be very upfront with Dak; anything short of a SB and it’s his last here. Just my .02.

Actually might be able to move on - as a Post June 1 cut. We can only hope.

Last edited:
Dallas is not a healthy environment for players and coaches and I will land the blame on the foot steps of Jerry Jones

Name one other owner after a Wildcard loss this weekend that is out talking to the media
Name one other owner that is addressing his team in the locker room and talking directly to the players all the time

-When you all have that solved and figured out and not a minute before, only then can you really have hopes to ascend and become a Champion again.
Jerry makes it all about him and he always has his head over the shoulders of his players and coaches, it limits what the environment a coach can create
I defend Jerry a lot especially when people say he should fire himself as GM but this part is all true and IMO has always been his biggest issue. It's just not good for creating a culture or empowering your coaching staff. It's one of the major obstacles for someone like Belichick to consider taking the job if offered. Polar opposites in that Jerry's a blabbermouth and BB treats everything about his team like a state secret but more then that it's just not allowing the coach to show the players who is really in charge, because they know it's not the coach.

No way on gods green earth Jerry is ever going to stop either, not unless he's physically unable. This is what he lives for, this is big weak spot as an owner and ran off Jimmy, he's not content winning, he wants all the spotliight on him.

That anything short of the Super Bowl mentality might be wearing thin on Dak
As I posted earlier, forget about Dallas moving on from Dak, it's the other way around IMHO
I think Prescott would like to get out of Dallas and have a fresh start elsewhere and I think he deserves a starting job in the NFL
You all make seem like he's a back up QB
Where was the running game and strong OL play this year

I bet 10 teams would take Dak tomorrow over what they wheel out each week so finding. a trade partner won't be hard
IMO of course

I defend Jerry a lot especially when people say he should fire himself as GM but this part is all true and IMO has always been his biggest issue. It's just not good for creating a culture or empowering your coaching staff. It's one of the major obstacles for someone like Belichick to consider taking the job if offered. Polar opposites in that Jerry's a blabbermouth and BB treats everything about his team like a state secret but more then that it's just not allowing the coach to show the players who is really in charge, because they know it's not the coach.

No way on gods green earth Jerry is ever going to stop either, not unless he's physically unable. This is what he lives for, this is big weak spot as an owner and ran off Jimmy, he's not content winning, he wants all the spotliight on him.
And Meno, just to be fair and honest...1st NFL game I ever went to with my son was in Dallas
I watched Jerry jones orchestrate behind the scenes getting the Rams back to Los Angeles and helping Kroenke get acclimated to the NFL, all the owners lover Jerry because he makes all of them more money, he's a very good business man. I credit JJ for a lot of things but he gets in the way of the team succeeding because he whispers in everyone's ear.

-I wonder how many times the Glazers speak to the Bucs' players?

-The NFL has changed and what he did in the early 90s won't happen again. He needs to change and allow a strong head coach to come in and instill their will on everyone
I thought Bill Parcells would be that guy but he failed to win, not sure how much Jerry jones factored into his demise.

That anything short of the Super Bowl mentality might be wearing thin on Dak
As I posted earlier, forget about Dallas moving on from Dak, it's the other way around IMHO
I think Prescott would like to get out of Dallas and have a fresh start elsewhere and I think he deserves a starting job in the NFL
You all make seem like he's a back up QB
Where was the running game and strong OL play this year

I bet 10 teams would take Dak tomorrow over what they wheel out each week so finding. a trade partner won't be hard
IMO of course
Getting a trade partner would be a home run, imo.

If you’re looking for a salary cap eating QB and an early playoff exit, he’s your guy!

I’m of the opinion that a mediocre QB that takes care of the ball will yield similar results if not better.

So after a few days…..

The defense really never stood a chance as currently constructed. The Cowboys have too many 200 lb defenders who get rolled up like wreckage in a compactor on power running plays. GB them for having the heart to throw their undersized frames into the fray. That should come in handy next year when they get to play their natural positions.

Wasted pick on Mazi - Maybe he grows in year 2 but he didn’t help you THIS season, which is what we needed. Not getting playing time out of your first pick is inexcusable. Play him at end if you have to.

Need : LB - LVE show is over. We need depth and run stoppers.

DT: Hankins turns 101 in the off-season. We can’t hope Mazi learns to like football.

Safety- Kearse is a liability in coverage. His size and tackling is useless if he’s chasing guys upfield.

Offense-

I mentioned during the preseason that the Cowboys have made a concerted effort to go smaller at WR and wondered how that would work out. About as expected. No separation against the playoff defenses which get away with some mild form holding on every play. Just enough to mess with the timing of the west coast offense. Dak played poorly but his receivers did him no favors.

Pollard is a good, not great back. We can do better behind him as well. Tired of these weird no name projects. Draft prototypical RBs that have run first school pedigree

Needs:
WR - as well as letting the younger guys play*
RB
OL
QB - Might be Trey Lance time after we get sent packing next January.

* = The Cowboys like most teams I assume, usually let salary/draft position dictate playtime. I’m a firm believer that some guys just shine when the lights come on. Just like how some guys don’t as the lights get brighter :rant:

So many disappointments

Like many, ready to move on from Dak. Post June 1 cut, re-sign and trade, whatever can work.
LB room needs major help, shocking how thin that group is (I dont consider Parsons a LB, mostly plays on the line)
Need a banger at RB that can carry most of the load, Pollard isn't that guy.
Interior DL help

But we got one hell of a kicker

😢

So many disappointments

Like many, ready to move on from Dak. Post June 1 cut, re-sign and trade, whatever can work.
LB room needs major help, shocking how thin that group is (I dont consider Parsons a LB, mostly plays on the line)
Interior DL help

😢
Agreed on Dak. I have not been shy about that.
I remember a lot of people were really high on our 3rd round LB pick DeMarvion Overshown. We'll get him back in 2024. LVE is done, right?

So many disappointments

Interior DL help

😢
I remember a lot of people were really high on our 3rd round LB pick DeMarvion Overshown. We'll get him back in 2024. LVE is done, right?
What would be a realistic plan to move on from Dak? Trade him, eat the money....then? No way Jerry goes Trey Lance at QB coming off 3 straight 12-win seasons. Maybe he doesn't see the issues as much as outsiders do, but it seems a reset/rebuild is just completely out of the question.

Man, I completely forgot about him....i sure hope he comes back fully recovered. Can't imagine LVE playing again.

So many disappointments

Interior DL help

😢
What would be a realistic plan to move on from Dak? Trade him, eat the money....then? No way Jerry goes Trey Lance at QB coming off 3 straight 12-win seasons. Maybe he doesn't see the issues as much as outsiders do, but it seems a reset/rebuild is just completely out of the question.

IF we had any smarts, I would also move one of (Parsons/Diggs/Bland) and use the draft capital to move up in the draft to get a real QB.

Then reshape the D to play with big boy pads.

So many disappointments

Interior DL help

😢

IF we had any smarts, I would also move one of (Parsons/Diggs/Bland) and use the draft capital to move up in the draft to get a real QB.

Then reshape the D to play with big boy pads.
$28m dead cap hit to trade a CB you just signed to a contract extension doesn't scream like a "smart move" to me, but I digress.

Moving any of these 3 players would scream "rebuild" not to mention the cap penalties baked into this scenario when moving on from Dak.

So many disappointments

Interior DL help

😢
He's got a no trade clause in his contract, so we'd just have to eat the money. A post June 1 cut would limit the hit. I say give Trey a chance. He never really had a fair NFL shot. He played two games before his injury. Let MM coach him up thru the season.

So many disappointments

Interior DL help

😢
He's got a no trade clause in his contract, so we'd just have to eat the money. A post June 1 cut would limit the hit. I say give Trey a chance. He never really had a fair NFL shot. He played two games before his injury. Let MM coach him up thru the season.
Seems risky. Cut Dak, take the cap hits, rely on Mike McCarthy to develop Trey Lance, the guy that the QB Whisperer Kyle Shanahan couldn't get anything out of? Its not as simple as "he got hurt/we don't know" They saw Trey day in day out and decided "He ain't it"

And you need a backup plan in place should Trey falter, what would that look like? Some sort of bridge QB like Ryan Tannehill who will probably be cut this offseason would be my guess.

The Truth is, Dak will be back. Jerry is too invested monetarily and emotionally. Jerry is 81. He is at that stage in life where he is looking at his own mortality as much as anything and I'm willing to be anything he just isn't going to "sit around and wait/Hope" that a new QB/plan is going to happen.

9 all pro players. That is an insane amount of riches to hit reset on. IMHO.

we had any smarts, I would also move one of (Parsons/Diggs/Bland) and use the draft capital to move up in the draft to get a real QB.
I’ve wondered what we could get in a trade involving Micah “podcast” Parsons. He’s going to cost ALOT of dollars to keep
Ya know, this might be unpopular, but for a guy who gets A LOT of run by commentators and such, he sure does seem to disappear pretty regularly in a lot of games. I dunno…is it more flash than substance? Or am I just missing it? I watched every snap this year and while he CAN BE a disruptive force, he just spends a lot of time disappearing. Lawrence, on the other hand, seems to show up on the regular….

we had any smarts, I would also move one of (Parsons/Diggs/Bland) and use the draft capital to move up in the draft to get a real QB.
I’ve wondered what we could get in a trade involving Micah “podcast” Parsons. He’s going to cost ALOT of dollars to keep
Ya know, this might be unpopular, but for a guy who gets A LOT of run by commentators and such, he sure does seem to disappear pretty regularly in a lot of games. I dunno…is it more flash than substance? Or am I just missing it? I watched every snap this year and while he CAN BE a disruptive force, he just spends a lot of time disappearing. Lawrence, on the other hand, seems to show up on the regular….
Yeah. I’m thinking Jerry is going to pay him whatever. Jersey sales and all that …

But Im starting to feel the same as you , especially for how much cap he’s going to eat

Parsons is just a linebacker of the times. Too much coddling and not enough raw meat.

I think if he were born 20 years ago, we might’ve had something. Physically, he has all the tools, but he doesn’t have the edge.

Parsons is just a linebacker of the times. Too much coddling and not enough raw meat.

I think if he were born 20 years ago, we might’ve had something. Physically, he has all the tools, but he doesn’t have the edge.
I think he's a great player.

I also think he is VERY focused on building his brand vs becoming an even greater player.

Some would argue that is the root of all the Cowboys problems. Once you are a Cowboys "You've made it"

Sigh…ok Mike, the lack of preparation, adjustments, and inept showing on the biggest stage falls on your shoulders. Show some mother****ing pride and be better. MAKE this team better. EARN our trust. Cuz god dammit, I’m sick of being a life-long Cowboys fan and perpetually disappointed.

Eta: I know it’s pointless and nothing is going to change, but here we are. Where we gonna go???

Last edited:
Someone open a new 2024 thread - I’m out for a while. I cannot ****ing believe Jerry Jones.

This 100% confirms Jerry does not care about winning.

Keep doing what you always do, keep getting what you always get.

First, they keep McCarthy, next they’ll sign Dak at 55 million plus, per year, for at least three years. Nothing will change.

Here’s to having this conversation again next January for the 4th straight year 🔒

OMG how do we bring him back. Feels like we've been underachieving the best roster in football, or nearly the best, for 3 straight years.

With VRABEL available too?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

As someone upstream said, Dak looked like a dear in the headlights at the start of the game. I would say he choked, but that is tough to defend when the offense put 32 on the board.

McCarthy has his prints all over the offense, and that unit performed very well this year.

Jerry has said McCarty is returning, so it seems people were simply projecting their own desires to fire MM.

The cowpokes need a power RB, and upgrades in the middle of the oline and dline, and they will be fine.

As someone upstream said, Dak looked like a dear in the headlights at the start of the game. I would say he choked, but that is tough to defend when the offense put 32 on the board.

McCarthy has his prints all over the offense, and that unit performed very well this year.

Jerry has said McCarty is returning, so it seems people were simply projecting their own desires to fire MM.

The cowpokes need a power RB, and upgrades in the middle of the oline and dline, and they will be fine.
Eh, the 32 points scored is pretty misleading, 16 of the 32 were total garbage time points late when the score was 48-16, and the first 7 they were lucky to get since Dak threw a pick that GB dropped on that drive and then the TD was scored on a play where Dallas should have been penalized for a false start (which ended the half).

I think the whole team choked, starting with McCarthy, who clearly did a terrible job in getting the team prepared and ready to play.

Eh, the 32 points scored is pretty misleading, 16 of the 32 were total garbage time points late when the score was 48-16, and the first 7 they were lucky to get since Dak threw a pick that GB dropped on that drive and then the TD was scored on a play where Dallas should have been penalized for a false start (which ended the half).

I think the whole team choked, starting with McCarthy, who clearly did a terrible job in getting the team prepared and ready to play.
Yeah some are gonna look at Daks stat line and it seems pretty good. Nah, he played like shyt.

Users who are viewing this thread