What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cowboys Thread. Tyler meet Tyler… also did you meet Tyler??? (3 Viewers)

Hope LVE retires. That dude gave it his all. Remember his bowl game against Oregon - he was like Forest Whitaker in "Fast Times", just a one-man wrecking crew. I think he had 20+ tackles?

Go live the cowboy life in Idaho.
For a year there, the Wolf Pack was a pretty dominant bunch. Both seemed like good dudes too.

I'm seeing Tyron Smith is gone. Going to the Jets. sigh
Not a Cowboys fan, but Smith has been a good one. Probably not so much now however. When I think of Tyron Smith I think of when he was drafted and all the trouble he had with his family trying to get money from him and how he had to say no. He had already given what he wanted to give but they kept asking for more if memory serves. I'm glad he was able to get through that.

Dak takes an extension to save 5 mill on the cap.

Some odd stuff happening.
It was just a simple restructure though, right?

And it begs the question "What took so long" just to even get something this simple done.

I'm curious what the Cowboys fans think the reasoning behind all this slow moving/non actions stuff -what the root cause is?

The Cowboys are the most valuable sports franshise....in the world - Is Jerry literally just cheap? Is it just his ego where he wants to "win" every negotiation?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the longer Jerry & Co. wait to sign guys like Micah and CD to extensions, the more people at their respective positions get new deals, thus causing the price of these extensions to be significantly higher than, if they were to be proactive, getting a better deal...now, right?

Maybe he is just "done" with Dak and ready to move on? Having the HC/DC/QB all on 1 year/lame duck deals also seems....strange.

Just some thoughts from a rival fan that I'm sure a lot of Cowboys share....

And it begs the question "What took so long" just to even get something this simple done.

I'm curious what the Cowboys fans think the reasoning behind all this slow moving/non actions stuff -what the root cause is?

The Cowboys are the most valuable sports franshise....in the world - Is Jerry literally just cheap? Is it just his ego where he wants to "win" every negotiation?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the longer Jerry & Co. wait to sign guys like Micah and CD to extensions, the more people at their respective positions get new deals, thus causing the price of these extensions to be significantly higher than, if they were to be proactive, getting a better deal...now, right?

Maybe he is just "done" with Dak and ready to move on? Having the HC/DC/QB all on 1 year/lame duck deals also seems....strange.

There's a few reasons. Primarily the desire to keep Micah, Ceedee and maybe Dak. Dak and McCarthy are probably on one year prove it or move on years. But they're avoiding big commitments to have a better chance of keeping these players.

This may sound strange, but it's paraphrasing Stephen Jones. They prefer paying players who've contributed to the team, who they're developing, not players who've contributed to other teams.

They also see the opening of FA as a feeding frenzy that drives up prices too much. They prefer to keep an eye on situations after the feeding frenzy knowing players they'd like often remain or become available. I also read they feel most free agents don't work out. They like their developing guys.

This season seems worse than most considering how much they need, how much they lost, how little they've done and how few draft picks they have. hth

I'm thinking the Cowboys will take a RB in the 2nd round since they didn't sign one of the top RB free agents. That would move whoever they take in the 1st round of dynasty rookie drafts.

Cowboys reveal plan to address RB position in 2024​

FRISCO, Texas — For a second consecutive offseason, the Dallas Cowboys are experiencing a major shakeup at one of their most important positions: running back. Tony Pollard has now officially signed with the Tennessee Titans in free agency, vacating the RB1 role in North Texas, but the re-signing of Rico Dowdle does at least provide a little stability.
The key word there being little, because while Dowdle is a promising young talent coming off of his best year as a pro, it's only a one-year deal and it's clear the Cowboys could and should still be in the market for another veteran back.
When posed the question of how the organization will handle the position in 2024, executive vice president and director of player personnel Stephen Jones hints at a two-fold approach — one that includes the 2024 NFL Draft.

"We're looking at the draft, too," said Jones. "We don't have an established [RB] in the organization right now. It's something we'll be looking at — in terms of getting young there again. But I wouldn't be surprised if we also address it [in free agency]."

Dowdle appears to be the first leg of that free agency plan, but potentially not the last, as it's not youth the Cowboys lack at RB, having plenty of it on the roster by way of Deuce Vaughn, Hunter Luepke, Malik Davis and Snoop Conner alongside Dowdle.
That's an average age of just 24 years old, not factoring in the age of a potential younger draft selection. What's more telling is the fact that the five mentioned combine for zeroNFL starts, and only seven NFL touchdowns, with four of those belonging to Dowdle (all four coming in 2023).
This suggests the Cowboys should also still be in the market to add another running back before the draft arrives, knowing full well they need to re-establish the definitive one-two punch that was missing in the first season without Ezekiel Elliott on the field.
"In this day in time, everybody's got complementary backs in this league," Jones admitted., "This has become the norm. I see us not just fixing it with one player at the running back position, but with more than one player."

Long story short - The Cowboys draft very wel and want to keep their own players.

There's a few reasons. Primarily the desire to keep Micah, Ceedee and maybe Dak. Dak and McCarthy are probably on one year prove it or move on years. But they're avoiding big commitments to have a better chance of keeping these players.

This may sound strange, but it's paraphrasing Stephen Jones. They prefer paying players who've contributed to the team, who they're developing, not players who've contributed to other teams.

They also see the opening of FA as a feeding frenzy that drives up prices too much. They prefer to keep an eye on situations after the feeding frenzy knowing players they'd like often remain or become available. I also read they feel most free agents don't work out. They like their developing guys.

This season seems worse than most considering how much they need, how much they lost, how little they've done and how few draft picks they have. hth

Yeah but to never sign any big name free agents in 20+ years is part of why they never make it far imo. But by all means, keep up the good fight

Long story short - The Cowboys draft very wel and want to keep their own players.
I can't disagree with the fact they draft well. Although, we all know its an inexact science and sometimes things don't work out as a result of misses, and sometimes guys' careers just don't last long like Frederick, Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith - all these guys were 1st or 2nd round draft picks.

I'm not saying you agree with this philosophy they have, but there is more than one way to build a roster, and that includes other avenues such as free agency and trades. To each their own and Jerry & Co. are of course free to do what they wish. I just feel the guys that add players at every sort of level (think Niners, Eagles) are the ones that are perennially successful.

I'm thinking the Cowboys will take a RB in the 2nd round since they didn't sign one of the top RB free agents. That would move whoever they take in the 1st round of dynasty rookie drafts.

FRISCO, Texas — For a second consecutive offseason, the Dallas Cowboys are experiencing a major shakeup at one of their most important positions: running back. Tony Pollard has now officially signed with the Tennessee Titans in free agency, vacating the RB1 role in North Texas, but the re-signing of Rico Dowdle does at least provide a little stability.
The key word there being little, because while Dowdle is a promising young talent coming off of his best year as a pro, it's only a one-year deal and it's clear the Cowboys could and should still be in the market for another veteran back.
When posed the question of how the organization will handle the position in 2024, executive vice president and director of player personnel Stephen Jones hints at a two-fold approach — one that includes the 2024 NFL Draft.

"We're looking at the draft, too," said Jones. "We don't have an established [RB] in the organization right now. It's something we'll be looking at — in terms of getting young there again. But I wouldn't be surprised if we also address it [in free agency]."

Dowdle appears to be the first leg of that free agency plan, but potentially not the last, as it's not youth the Cowboys lack at RB, having plenty of it on the roster by way of Deuce Vaughn, Hunter Luepke, Malik Davis and Snoop Conner alongside Dowdle.
That's an average age of just 24 years old, not factoring in the age of a potential younger draft selection. What's more telling is the fact that the five mentioned combine for zeroNFL starts, and only seven NFL touchdowns, with four of those belonging to Dowdle (all four coming in 2023).
This suggests the Cowboys should also still be in the market to add another running back before the draft arrives, knowing full well they need to re-establish the definitive one-two punch that was missing in the first season without Ezekiel Elliott on the field.
"In this day in time, everybody's got complementary backs in this league," Jones admitted., "This has become the norm. I see us not just fixing it with one player at the running back position, but with more than one player."

Morons. The Cowboys at once again, painted themselves into a corner. Other teams know we need running backs, so it’s obvious we’re going to draft one. If you were a free agent, you have a slight advantage and leverage because you know the Cowboys need a running back

takes an extension to save 5 mill on the cap.

Yeah but to never sign any big name free agents in 20+ years is part of why they never make it far imo. But by all means, keep up the good fight

What good fight? I follow the team, I don’t work for them or control them.

I’m sure some of you will clap back and say that this is because the Cowboys have been choking dogs for 25 years, which they have - but I slowly stopped caring about the Cowboys and the NFL in general several years ago.

The Cowboys could win a SB and while it would be fun, it will never live up to what I experienced as a teen and the team won’t be better than those 90s teams.

It’s also not remotely the same game. I’ve honesty had more fun watching games from the 70s and 80s on YouTube the past few weeks than I have since the late 90s. The games are so much more exciting and the coverage is so much more entertaining. Especially games that I’m not aware of the outcome.

Morons. The Cowboys at once again, painted themselves into a corner. Other teams know we need running backs, so it’s obvious we’re going to draft one. If you were a free agent, you have a slight advantage and leverage because you know the Cowboys need a running back

I’m sure some of you will clap back and say that this is because the Cowboys have been choking dogs for 25 years, which they have - but I slowly stopped caring about the Cowboys and the NFL in general several years ago.

The Cowboys could win a SB and while it would be fun, it will never live up to what I experienced as a teen and the team won’t be better than those 90s teams.

It’s also not remotely the same game. I’ve honesty had more fun watching games from the 70s and 80s on YouTube the past few weeks than I have since the late 90s. The games are so much more exciting and the coverage is so much more entertaining. Especially games that I’m not aware of the outcome.

not you or dallas fans. its the cowboys themselves.
i say that because i firmly believe that dallas doesn't think free agency works. just look at the lack of moves they make every year. just think its dumb. its kind of funny, but if jerry ever gave up being GM and actually hired some people that knew what they were doing they would be so much better. but im sure you know this

I feel you on all these points. I personally know a friend of a friend that straight up just quit the team after last year, so that's all I really meant.

Tough year to have a need at RB and also needing to nail the pick in a weak class. But, the Cowboys have been finding gems in the drafts at almost every pick other than the 2nd round for the past half decade, so if there is a team that can mine and find the one or two diamonds in the draft, its the Cowboys.

Deion and his kid to Dallas next year?
Seems plausible.

McCarthy - lame duck
Dak - not getting extended
Sanders boys - calling their shots

Call me crazy but…

I wonder what the mood is at the Star. I am confused on the direction of this team.

With limited resources in the draft and for free agency, they're going to field the best team they can against what looks like a formidable schedule. Prescott and McCarthy probably understand anything less than a deep playoff run means they gotta go. I just can't wait for the Trey Lance experiment. 😐

I wonder what the mood is at the Star. I am confused on the direction of this team.

With limited resources in the draft and for free agency, they're going to field the best team they can against what looks like a formidable schedule. Prescott and McCarthy probably understand anything less than a deep playoff run means they gotta go. I just can't wait for the Trey Lance experiment. 😐
Perhaps they’ve actually learned something. Make Dak show he can actually win in the playoffs before he gets the bag. If he does, he should be paid in the top of the range. Another year like the past several- let him go and lose in the playoffs somewhere else.

Perhaps they’ve actually learned something. Make Dak show he can actually win in the playoffs before he gets the bag. If he does, he should be paid in the top of the range. Another year like the past several- let him go and lose in the playoffs somewhere else.

I am curious - what does everyone here think Dak would field for compensation/draft picks in a trade? I understand he is probably one of the most polarizing players in the NFL because many don't think he can win in the playoffs, but what would/should a team give up for him?

PFF had Dak graded as the #4 Regular Season QB last year - Washington & Chicago are likely out of the mix, but it starts getting a little interesting with Patriots, Broncos, Raiders, Saints, Vikings? If the plan is Dak and McCarthy succeed or get ousted from Dallas - why not just start the movement a little early?

I am curious - what does everyone here think Dak would field for compensation/draft picks in a trade? I understand he is probably one of the most polarizing players in the NFL because many don't think he can win in the playoffs, but what would/should a team give up for him?

PFF had Dak graded as the #4 Regular Season QB last year - Washington & Chicago are likely out of the mix, but it starts getting a little interesting with Patriots, Broncos, Raiders, Saints, Vikings? If the plan is Dak and McCarthy succeed or get ousted from Dallas - why not just start the movement a little early?
I don't see any reason why he would not be able to field at minimum a 3rd, but should be a 2. The big issue for something like this is you both have to give proper compensation to the team, as well as get a new deal/extension done with Dak and for him to be able to fit under a team's cap this year.

I don't see any reason why he would not be able to field at minimum a 3rd, but should be a 2. The big issue for something like this is you both have to give proper compensation to the team, as well as get a new deal/extension done with Dak and for him to be able to fit under a team's cap this year.
I would happily ship him off for a 2.

I am curious - what does everyone here think Dak would field for compensation/draft picks in a trade?
He's a first+ with ease, maybe multiples.

PFF had Dak graded as the #4 Regular Season QB last year
He was the MVP runnerup so that checks.

why not just start the movement a little early?
Even if Dallas could find a way to handle the $60m dead money hit and actual lost of $11M in cap space there is the issue that he has a No Trade Clause.

I am curious - what does everyone here think Dak would field for compensation/draft picks in a trade?

Even if Dallas could find a way to handle the $60m dead money hit and actual lost of $11M in cap space there is the issue that he has a No Trade Clause.
Sounds like you're higher on Dak than anyone else.

I don't have an MVP vote.

It’s the multiple 1st comment.

I said maybe multiples.

It's just the market, has nothing to do with my feelings. Wilson got way more and he was older then Dak will be next off-season. We just saw a 36 year old who is coming off an achilles be the belle of the FA ball.

His contract will lower his trade value but we got a mountain of evidence to suggest QB's of his caliber are not cheap to acquire.

If he hits UFA next off-season I believe he'll have the biggest market for any UFA player in history.

And none of that has anything to do with what I think about him. The market is the market.

I said maybe multiples.

It's just the market, has nothing to do with my feelings. Wilson got way more and he was older then Dak will be next off-season. We just saw a 36 year old who is coming off an achilles be the belle of the FA ball.

His contract will lower his trade value but we got a mountain of evidence to suggest QB's of his caliber are not cheap to acquire.

If he hits UFA next off-season I believe he'll have the biggest market for any UFA player in history.

And none of that has anything to do with what I think about him. The market is the market.
He has a reputation as a playoff loser, fair or not. It’s kinda growing each year. You don’t think that will effect his market?

I said maybe multiples.

He has a reputation as a playoff loser, fair or not. It’s kinda growing each year. You don’t think that will effect his market?
Look what Cousins got. And he has more ties (2) than playoff wins (1)

I said maybe multiples.

How is his reputation as a playoff loser unfair in any way? 2-5 is 2-5. Couple that with terrible, poorly timed picks. There is not an evidence based way to conclude that his reputation as a playoff loser is unfair. Just sayin…it’s not directed at you, it’s directed at the Dak defenders.

Users who are viewing this thread